Queer, Pregnant & Parenting October, November & December 2013! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 194 Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Isa, here are the questions we asked providers during first interviews:

-What's your experience with twin clients? How many of them deliver vaginally? Planned c-sections versus emergency?

-What positions do you require the babies to be in for a vaginal birth? If baby B is breech, will you attempt an internal version, or a breech delivery?

-Will you allow me to deliver in Labor and Delivery, or do all twin births happen in the OR? Under what conditions might we deliver in L&D?

-Do you require an epidural during labor for your twin patients? Do you require continuous monitoring? An IV?

-Will I be able to labor in the birth tub before delivery? Eat? Drink? Move around as needed?

-How many people are on call for births? What are each of their philosophies on twin births?

-What do you consider "full term" for twins? Assuming a healthy pregnancy, how long will I be allowed to carry the babies?

-What is your schedule for ultrasounds, non-stress tests, and other monitoring throughout my pregnancy?

I will tell you that we blew through 3 OB practices in our town before giving up and going one town over to work with midwives at the other hospital. Many of the OBs I talked to would not consider letting me go past 38 weeks, insisted on delivering in the OR, insisted on an epidural (just in case!), and wanted a huge amount of monitoring. The midwives we ended up with were backed up by OBs, had lots of experience with high-risk pregnancies, but were a lot calmer about everything. I went into labor on my own at 38.5 weeks. I was lucky enough to have both babies head down, so they let me labor and deliver in L&D. I was able to labor in the tub for several hours (though they would not let me birth there). In the end, I opted for an epidural (which actually helped things along), but they were fine with me not having one. The thing that gets tricky in larger practices is that not everyone will be on the same page about these questions. Don't be afraid to keep asking!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#122 of 194 Old 11-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lizbian, my mama came the day Amadora was born and stayed with us for a week. I was so glad to have her here. She was really helpful, too. Cooking meals and running errands for us. It was special time to share with her. I suppose it depends on your relationship with your mum.

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#123 of 194 Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM

She's here! Our little one (a girl!) arrived November 25 after a relatively smooth home birth. We're thrilled to have her here!
CocoBird likes this.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#124 of 194 Old 11-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Yeah! Congratulations on your new baby girl! So glad to hear all went well. I hope DW is recuperating well and you are all enjoying the new addition.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#125 of 194 Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM

YEAH ESCHER! Congratulations! Welcome little one!

Our rainbow1284.gif family: mommytea6.gif and DW mama luxlove.gif our 4.5 yr old DD 'Z' notes2.gif and 2 yr old DD 'S' femalesling.GIF and hoping for baby.gif

#126 of 194 Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Congratulations, @escher!!! Hurrah! Enjoy your babymoon...

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#127 of 194 Old 11-26-2013, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Escher, congrats! What great news!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#128 of 194 Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Escher - congratulations, fabulous news. Not too many girls being born so glad to hear your news smile.gif xxx

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

Second IVF successful, he's here!!!!

DS born 12/4/2012, weight 6lb11 babyboy.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

#129 of 194 Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

ps Soto you're next!!!

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

#130 of 194 Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Escher, congrats!! Enjoy the babymoon.

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and a baby on the way

****5****10****15****20****25***stork-boy.gif30****35****40

#131 of 194 Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wonderful news!
Welcome to the world, little one! joy.gif
We're so glad that you're here!
Rest up, family ... as best you can.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#132 of 194 Old 11-28-2013, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations, @escher!!! Welcome to the world, baby girl! :joy

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#133 of 194 Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM

Wow, all these newborns seem to have arrived at once!  YAY!  Congrats to all! :joy

This time last year I had just started the TTC journey and am feeling SO thankful it finally worked in May!  Happy Thanksgiving, all.  And for other Jewish moms, Happy Chanukah!!

pokeyac likes this.

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
#134 of 194 Old 12-01-2013, 01:56 PM

escher--congratulations, and welcome to your new baby!  i hope your transition to being a family of four is going well.

#135 of 194 Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

hi all, just to let you know I had my anomoly scan this morning. Everything was fine although they need to check my placenta in another 12 weeks as it's a bit close to the birth canal so may need a C section. Other than that we're having a boy :) we're both pretty excited and looking forward to meeting him now xx

#136 of 194 Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Congratulations on the baby boy! I hope your placenta moves. It doesn't sound like it's too bad from your description. Mine was completely covering the cervix and it moved out of the way all by itself, no c/s needed.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#137 of 194 Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

thanks Pokey - not too worried. It was close but not right on top and it will only move further away. If it comes to it so be it but at least pinto is healthy!

#138 of 194 Old 12-03-2013, 08:33 AM

Liz: How fun, congrats on the the little boy. I'm sure the placenta will move, I have heard this happens a lot. How are you feeling these days? 

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and a baby on the way

****5****10****15****20****25***stork-boy.gif30****35****40

#139 of 194 Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 PM

Another boy! Congrats, @lizbian! If you're willing, you could add to the neat poll that @seraf started ages ago, about what sex of baby has resulted from what sort of assisted reproductive technique... It's so fascinating: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1340117/boys-vs-girls

My placenta was also partial-previa at my 20 week u/s, but moved fully out of the way by 28 weeks, and delivered smoothly.

To add to the previous conversation re: family visiting after the birth... My dad & stepmom have suddenly decided that skype isn't enough & they need to meet Z asap! They're flying out from Ontario for a whirlwind weekend visit, which is so crazy but so sweet of them! Bonus: They aren't staying with us, but they *are* planning on coming to our house & cooking us fabulous food. I was totally okay with the idea that I wouldn't see them until we take Z out east for a visit in February, and yet am finding myself feeling so thrilled that they feel a need to visit sooner than that :love

#140 of 194 Old 12-05-2013, 01:36 PM

lizbian--happy to hear everything's looking good.  and a boy...congrats!

and, a quick qotd:

so, i've just reached the point in belly growth where my belly is getting in my way during sex.  it's not a huge problem, but right now is frustrating because i forget to accommodate the bump and end up hurting myself/not being able to move in a particular way--and then stop and sigh and grumpily say fuck a lot.  so, i guess my qotd is, for those of you who have done this before, or are going through something similar now, did you have one transition from not having to make room for a belly during sex to having to, or were there multiple transitions that needed to happen as you (or your dp) grew and grew and grew?  for what it's worth, my dp is super amused by the whole situation, and thinks the belly is sexy--so at least that's not a problem.

#141 of 194 Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 PM

B&c - I found that it was a journey and every step required something different. Not only positions to accommodate the belly, but also different things were more or less delightful at different points.

Re: family visitation. My folks came for 7 weeks, one before the birth and 6 after. It really exacerbated some issues in my relationship with my mom and I'm still a little bitter about how she monopolized such a special time in my life that I will never get back. I think my ability to bond with my babies (and consequently have a positive breastfeeding relationship) was compromised and complicated by having visitors in our house holding the babies for several hours a day. I'm bitter! It was nice when they brought us food, and ultimately it's great that they love our kids so much, but Omg I wish she had expressed it a different way. My dad was great though. He mowed my lawn and cleaned my gutters and handled some major yard projects. I think your mileage may vary depending on your parents attitude and expectations, and the nature of your relationship with them.

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
#142 of 194 Old 12-05-2013, 11:54 PM

Huh... You know, @mrsandmrs, I was just thinking about the whole adventure of these past ten days of doctor visits & weigh-ins at the midwifery clinic, and wondering to myself if maybe I'd have picked up on Z's breastfeeding issues sooner if my MIL hadn't been here all that first week (For those of you not following the QP thread, Z wasn't gaining weight but seems to be better now). She wanted to hold him constantly, to the point that I had to tell DP that she needed to be the one to step in & hand him to me when he cried, because I was gonna lose it if MIL resisted me taking him from her one more time. I'm bitter too!!!

Re: pregnant sexy times... Wow, yeah, @breadandcoffee, everything felt different for me once I was pregnant. It wasn't just the belly, and it was completely unpredictable! I don't have much advice except "go with the flow" & "have a sense of humour"... Good luck ;-)

#143 of 194 Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Interesting to hear about your experiences with parents visiting. We had a really good experience, I think because mine came only for day trips (and one 3-day stint when DP was out of town), and DP's mom came for E's second week. None of them hogged the baby or were too intrusive, which now that I'm reading your stories feels like a real gift. 7 weeks is So. Long. I would be angry, too.

As for sexy time, I feel like last time I got big and grouchy and wanted nothing to do with it. I'm going to try to be better this go around, so if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#144 of 194 Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

b&c - I have to say unfortunately my libido has COMPLETELY gone since mid September. Really hoping to get it back when we go to France next week and when busy season of teaching has finished as we're not going to get much time after he's born!

Mrs - I get exactly what you're saying. I don't have the best relationship with my mum but we've compromised and she's coming 8 days after I'm due, staying for a week so I think it'll be OK. DW is a bit worried how I'll handle it as she knows what I'm like but I'm determined it will be and I know Mum will do everything she can not to be interfering. We'll see I guess! Found out yesterday my bro &SIL are also having a boy, shame it's on the other side of the world.

#145 of 194 Old 12-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If we're talking penetration, a pillow or two wedged under the preggo one's butt works wonders when she's on the bottom. Being on top is awesome when bellies get way big. Also, from behind.
Pregnant sex rocks!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#146 of 194 Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Pregnant sex rocks!

For some people! And if you are not one of those people, that's OK, too!

Personally, I found the conventional wisdom about how awesome pregnant sex is 'supposed to be' pretty damn unhelpful. If you don't like sex when you are pregnant, you are not missing out on anything or doing it wrong. For me, sometimes there simply were no comfortable positions, especially in the third tri. And be prepared for boobs to leak also. Which can be funny, sure, but if you aren't in a mood to laugh about your body, then again I say that's OK. You've got a lot of hormones raging and then throw in sex on top of that, the heightened sensitivity is not always the good kind.

If you are in the mood, then I would just say have lots of pillows available and test out propping belly, butt, back, knees, whatever until you find what works on that particular day.
CocoBird likes this.

My wife (30) and I (32) have been legally married since 2006. We are proud queer mamas to baby W, born 10/10/2013.
#147 of 194 Old 12-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Re: parent's visiting, I do think it can be great and hard at the same time.  My ex had a hard time nursing DS and I was glad we had no visitors right away so she could take the time to get used to it and see a lactation consultant.  When my mom came about 1-2 weeks after DS was born, it was nice to have all the cleaning and cooking done!  She was really good about asking what we needed around the house, and letting us handle the baby needs.  We knew we wanted some time alone with DS (I only got a week off work), so we asked that people wait during that time to let us see what would work best for us.  I'm almost positive I got that advice from MDCers 6 years ago!  With this baby, I am really excited to have visitors, but mostly to hang out with the 6 y.o., cook, and clean.  I'm planning to be honest about saying I need to be left alone to nap, nurse, whatever, just to maintain some sanity for the whole family.

B&C I'm picking up what you're throwing down!  I think we are a few weeks apart.  Just last night I found myself grumpy and frustrated that I couldn't see over my belly during some sexy time.  And I do often get annoyed that I can't get comfortable in various positions (leg cramps are the worst!).  I have found that getting off before I fall asleep helps move the baby away from my bladder, so it has become like a weird chore I feel like I need to get done.  LOL I would never have thought that way before.  And despite them being bigger and sexier, my boobs just started leaking last week, so yeah, I am having a hard time feeling like the sexy lady my wife tells me I am.  Mostly, though, and I'm kinda outing myself here, I am frustrated that I'm not as good of a top because of the belly.  A lot of the moves I used to use are not as comfy anymore, so I'm trying to find new ones that let me work around the belly.  Suggestions welcome!

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
#148 of 194 Old 12-07-2013, 05:42 PM

Sexy time- with DD1, I loved preggy sex, and we did it all the time. Then she was born, and my libido seriously disappeared. For like a year. Completely. That was really a challenge. This time around, I couldn't wait for pregnancy sex. Except that with my insane, huge, stressful, and painful twin pregnancy, it wasn't actually all that great. However, post-partum sexy time has been so much better this time around, and I felt like my libido (and sense of self in general) got back to normal(ish) so much faster. Do what feels good. Always make time for intimacy, but recognize that intimacy happens in different ways at different times. I think that sex is so important for many (though certainly not all) couples in maintaining other sorts of connections, but I also have learned that it ebbs and flows sometimes, and that can be okay.

Parents- my mother was here for 5.5 months. She came about a month before the babies were born, because I was having trouble with basic tasks and caring for DD. She stayed because we needed help but... it was a high price. I'm not sure it was worth it. She took up lots of space in our (small) house, she picked fights with DP, and just brought lots of tension and negativity into the space. I kept feeling like she couldn't leave because we needed her, but then when she was finally gone, I was amazed at how much nicer things were. But yeah, it all depends on your parents.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#149 of 194 Old 12-09-2013, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

So hey guys, I guess I am ready to come over now. We saw one little black blob on our ultrasound today, which according to the doctor looked right on time and healthy, with a good implantation site. We'll check again on growth and for a heartbeat in 10 days. I am feeling properly nauseated and tired, so thats good. My expected due date is August 6th.

#150 of 194 Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Tigers, 5.5 months!??!!!!! :0

Fried - Yay! Congrats!!

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page