New and about to start IUI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! My wife and I are starting the process of IUI and I am curious if anyone has:

1. Gone through Oregon Reproductive Medicine?

2. Used NW CryoBank or OHSU sperm bank?

3. Used Clomid?

4. The IUI process...how long did it take you?

Thank you everyone who is willing to share your experiences. We are so excited to start our family.

Mrs. Selfridge :)

pokeyac likes this.

Me (29) hearts.gif DW (38)  superhero.gif   DS adoptionheart-1.gif  dog2.gifSchnapps dog2.gifDaisy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 PM

My husband and I did donor sperm and IUI. We looked into OHSU's bank but because the pool was pretty limited for IUI ready sperm, we ended up going with California Cryobank. However, we stored our donor sperm at OHSU and were really impressed with the staff, for what its worth.
I did not take Clomid because I had no prior infertility issues and was 31 at the time, and because of a leaky heart valve, I decided I didn't want to take any chances on having multiples. We ordered 6 vials of IUI ready sperm and it took 6 months, the last vial to conceive. Phew! I didn't realize at the time that once they thaw the sperm, the actual number of motile sperm can vary from vial-to-vial. I could have 10 million one time and 17 million the next. I know some women double up on vials per IUI... good luck!
MrsSelfridgex2 likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

You might get a few more responses if you join The Fertility Challenged One Thread. :)

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
#4 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi Mrs. Selfridge--
We used NW Cryo. There was one vial that had low numbers, which we weren't thrilled about, but they made it up to us, so there were no problems after that. We always had an easy time getting ahold of them, and their shipments always showed up on time. Also, our kid is perfect, so obviously they have at least one amazing donor. smile.gif
Clomid was fine for me, but not successful, and neither was IUI. They work for lots of people, though, so YMMV. I don't recommend doubling up on IUIs. It doesn't increase your chances of success by very much, and it gets a lot more expensive a lot faster. Especially since we eventually needed to go on to IVF we really regretted spending twice as much (on sperm, shipping, and IUI procedures) in the attempts leading up to it.

Good luck! And feel free to jump in to the Queer Conceptions board--the folks on there are all in the thick of trying to conceive and will be both very informative about the process and a great support until you are successful!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#5 of 7 Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hi MrsSelfridge- Previously my DW and I used NW Cryo and Oregon Reproductive Medicine. We also went to a meet & greet type thing at OHSU. Although we didn't have sucess with that route, I really liked ORM and NW cryo. They were both really responsive anytime I had questions or needed anything. It was also a nice surprise with ORM because after we payed for the services upfront they billed our insurance even though they didn't have coverage for infertility, and our insurance paid a portion of our bill so ORM refunded us! Life happened and we stopped before we got to Clomid, but that is my next step this time around. We tried a total of 9 cycles the first time around, 3 were at home, 4 were IUI's done by my PCP and 2 at ORM.

Good luck to you! And if you would like feel free to join us in Queer Conceptions. The women there are really wonderful and full of helpful information.

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our baby girl, expected January 15th 2015.
Remebering our Angel Baby, Emery.

#6 of 7 Old 01-14-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. I am nervous to start because when we tried previous we did at home tries for about 9-10 months... Every month I would get excited and then the let down of seeing a BFN.  hoping for better luck this time.

:)

Mrs.Selfridge :Rainbow

Me (29) hearts.gif DW (38)  superhero.gif   DS adoptionheart-1.gif  dog2.gifSchnapps dog2.gifDaisy
#7 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSelfridgex2 View Post

Hello! My wife and I are starting the process of IUI and I am curious if anyone has:

1. Gone through Oregon Reproductive Medicine?

Nope, but Portland is lovely.

2. Used NW CryoBank or OHSU sperm bank?

Nope, but I have heard good things about NW.

3. Used Clomid?

Yes. I didn't have bad side effects, but my lining got thinner each time. I got pregnant the third round I took it but miscarried early. May have been because of the thinner lining, in my opinion. I liked Letrozole/Femara better.

4. The IUI process...how long did it take you?

I got pregnant and miscarried on the 6th cycle and then got pregnant again on the 9th and now we have a baby boy. I have heard 4 times is average.

Thank you everyone who is willing to share your experiences. We are so excited to start our family.

Mrs. Selfridge smile.gif

Hello again Mrs. Selfridge! I thought I would try to answer some of your questions here.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page