Queer Conceptions February - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, all, just a quick update from me: if I O'd on CD15, as I thought, I'm on 14 DPO today. My LP is 11-13 days, so my period should start by today at the latest. I've been having little twinges/"feeling like my period's going to start" moments for a few days, but no real sign of anything starting as of this afternoon, and my temps are still high (they usually-though not always-drop the day before/day of my period starting). BFN when I tested this morning. I took another look at my FF chart, and it seems possible that I actually O'd on CD16, which would mean AF has until tomorrow to rear her ugly head without this being an unusual cycle. So, yeah, still thinking I'm not pregnant and this is just a big cosmic tease, but, well, it's down to the "two day wait" now.

Hope you're all well!

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Fille, keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get a different result in the next couple of days!!!

blowkiss.gif Me   wild.gif  DW  ROTFLMAO.gifDS (10)

IVI with KD fresh swimmers, at home.  BFP on 5th try with current KD...m/c in wk 7candle.gif.   BFP on 2nd try (after mc)...m/c #2, wk 7 candle.gif

Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Fille – Any updates? Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Jwaite – Did you get to insem this weekend? I am glad tracking went better this time for you too! Thanks for the luck with the HSG, everything went great! Hoping for the good luck after having that procedure done. My insurance really is amazing! And a welcomed change from having insurance that covered nothing at all last year! I actually had a $100 copay for the HSG but it was still way less and worth it! We are using donor sperm so we still have that cost but being able to have them monitor and track my ovulation has taken a lot of stress off of me as well, which is amazing and will hopefully lead to a BFP! Although slightly discouraging to know our first try we got a BFP with no office monitoring and our second iui, they did all the monitoring and we got a BFN…

Pook – Were you able to catch O? Glad you were able to get in several tries over the weekend though! I say blissful swimmers sound like an amazing thing!

MrsSelfridge – How is the TWW going? Any plans to test?

Lrex – Any signs of AF yet? Glad the challenge went so well! And how is the OB search going?

AFM – The HSG went very well, I did have to pay a $100 copay but it was still way cheaper than if I would have done it last year and definitely worth it. The whole process was a little more intimidating than I thought since it was in a hospital setting with a wrist bracelet, hair net, gown and all but glad to have it done and know that everything looked good. I now go in Monday, CD13, for the first round of bloodwork and ultrasound. Don’t plan on having my LH surge until CD 19 which would be Sunday 3/2 and then insem that Monday. Really hoping that this month will be our month and the HSG helped us out in that category.

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35* ***40
Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 PM

Jwaite - Glad you've got your head in the game. I'm so thankful for this little community too! Are insems going as planned this weekend? Best of luck!

Fille - Until you say that AF has come, I will still be crossing my fingers and rooting for you!

Jam - I'm so glad your HSG went well. I totally understand how it would have been intimidating. I nearly did one myself when we were first trying a few years ago and I was really freaked out by it for some reason. I was convinced something would go wrong. We have good insurance too and I'm thankful it's there if we decide to go that route, but one of the conditions I had for pursuing this again was having the experience be less impersonal and clinical than before. I do miss having all the data that comes from monitoring though. Anyway, best of luck that the HSG cleared the path for that one perfect swimmer who will soon be your little one to love and care for.

AFM - I was never able to catch the LH surge with the cheapies and I was testing twice a day. My CM dried up in a way that indicated I probably O'd on Monday, as I had expected to. I had to lie to fertility friend to get it to put O on my calendar so I wouldn't constantly be counting and reconfirming how many days past O I am - LOL. So today was 5DPO for me and I'll probably start testing next Sunday. Too early to read in to any signs and I've been fairly busy this week so I haven't had a real chance to be too obsessed.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:09 PM

Hi all,

New to this thread and to Mothering -- found you all last night while google-ing "preparing for an IUI." Wanted to reach out and say hello, so my wife and I can feel part of a community of folks also going through this adventure in queer conception.

I'm now hosting a party in my uterus, where hopefully the sperm are mixing, mingling, and getting really friendly with a happy healthy egg. In other words, my wife and I went in for our first-ever IUI this morning -- we're now two hours in to the Two-Week Wait.

IUI felt smooth, not the most comfortable thing I've ever done, but I imagine nothing compared to childbirth and for a very good cause, so not so hard to bear. The best part was having my wife by my side for the whole thing -- making a baby together! We learned afterwards that the partner can actually be the one to insert the sperm and we're thinking of doing that next month (unless we get good news this month!) Has anyone gone that route, and how was it?

I'm curious what strategies others of you have used to keep your cool through the 2WW, and I'd also love to hear what practices / nutritional habits / supplements you used during that time period, and what success you may have had with them.

Wishing everyone happy outcomes this month!

~ PlaidFlannel

------------------------------------------

A little about our family:

Recent transplants from the Northeast to the Midwest

Together 7 years next month

Married (Legally, hurray for New England!) 4 years

We're 40 and 43 respectively, loving aunties and doting mamas to our irascible 3-year-old dog (featured in my profile pic)

We're TTC a child of our own since, well, today!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 PM

Welcome.gif PlaidFlannel! I am almost a week into my first IUI TWW and I'm going crazy. Every little thing makes me wonder... I think I'm driving my DW up the wall.
Currently I am taking Vitamin D and prenatal pills. We choose to go with a medicated IUI, so I was on letrozole and then a trigger shot last Saturday. I hope your TWW goes by quickly and that you get really happy news!

I have a question for you all: I have been experiencing twinges of pain in the uterus are, more on my left side. Has anyone experienced this? I read it could be implantation pain?
Thanks for any ideas
MrsSX2

Me (29) hearts.gif DW (38)  superhero.gif   DS adoptionheart-1.gif  dog2.gifSchnapps dog2.gifDaisy
Old 02-23-2014, 11:23 PM

Hi all - sending lots of thoughts of peace and baby wishes to you all...:goodvibes

MrsSelfridgex2 - good luck on your TWW - hopefully the rest of it goes smoothly and you end up with a BFP. 

Pookafaye - thanks! I hope you caught your O, had lots of happy swimmers, and your TWW goes quickly and well!  

Jam - I'm sorry to hear your HSG was intimidating, though I can understand. I found the pictures from mine to be so interesting!  I'm doing IVF so not trying to insem after the HSG,  but I also heard that pregnancy chances are higher after one.  Cleans the pipes out, I guess :)  So fingers crossed for you!

jwaite05 - I'm not sure if I O'd yet or not.  I have to admit, I kept taking my temps for a few days after the nurse told me they probably wouldn't indicate anything, and then I just realized I quit taking them. Guess I just subconsciously decided not to since they were discouraging and possibly misleading.  But I haven't seen any other symptoms either, so I'm just really not sure.  I hope your insem went well!  Hugs for retrying after your m/c.  

fillefantome - fingers crossed on this insem for you!

plaidflannel - welcome to the board and congrats on the party in your uterous :)  I hope it ends with a nice BFP!

AFM -  Well, according to the IVF calendar my nurse gave me, they expect me to start my period tomorrow.  Since I have no idea if I ovulated or not, it is frustrating to wonder whether AF will come or if they will have to jump-start me.  I'm hoping she is on her way, though.  I had a stomach ache and a head ache all day today, and have been hoping that is an indication of something (other than from just eating too much junk food. :2whistle  )

Tomorrow I have my PARQ appointment with the doctor, which is like the risk assessment signoff, and I have to put down a $12K deposit.  oooh yeah ... :(

Tomorrow night I have my class on how to give myself injections for the $2600 in medicine (so far) that I just purchased.  Dang, this is expensive!!!  It would be great to win the lottery just for the IVF costs.  ugh.  Oh - and I am sooooo not looking forward to the needles!

They had also told me to pick an OB, so I picked the hospital (which was exciting) and think I picked the OB.  I was a little bummed when I spoke to a few friends who thought I should do home birth and midwife only.  I think that would be amazing, but as it is, my body doesn't seem to do anything right (wait - pause - be gentle on myself - I am my body..... ) and so I would prefer to be in a hospital.  I definitely want a midwife too, but since this whole thing is so medically assisted in the first place, I would also like to have met and be on file with a OB that still supports natural childbirth.  

Anywhoo - it is ridiculous to me that I am still struggling to imagine actually being able to conceive and carry a child, and yet I'm worrying about details such as birthing options, who to make the kid(s)' guardian if I die, and what sort of child care situation to use.  Good grief.  It is crazy making.

Anyway - thanks for letting me share. It means a lot to me.

Wishing you all the best!!

Me (38), single parent by choice and transgender, TTC #1 via IVF.  

tried unsuccessfully via BD in '01 and unsuccessfully via ICI in '11. Endometriosis, ovarian cysts, anovulation, oh my... left fallopian tube removed in '12. now on to IVF.  my IVF journey is at pride-of-lions.blogspot.com

Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to Mothering and Queer Parenting, PlaidFlannel! Good luck in the TWW. I hope it passes quickly and peacefully and that your TTC journey is short and sweet. My wife and I are from Ohio. How are you liking it?

lrex99--I hope things start moving along so you can get started! Congrats on picking a hospital and following your gut. Homebirths are wonderful, but they aren't for everyone. In birth, you can't do what other people think you should do, you can only do what feels right for you. I'm a big supporter of homebirth and midwives, but when I got pregnant, I decided to go to a hospital. I went to one that has nurse midwives on staff. They only bring in an OB if they need extra help. I met the OB and she was in the room when my son was born, but we did not need her help. Our midwife was wonderful and very supportive. I hope you find great people to be on your team.

Good luck to everyone else!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

lrex-  The cost of IVF astounds me when I think about it. Putting down $12k can be really intimidating, I'm sure, but I can only imagine how worth it it will be when you have your L.O.

Mrs.S- I don't mean to bring your hopes down, but I think it may be still a bit earlier to be experiencing implantation pain. From what I understand, implantation can happen as early as 8 or 9 days, but I think it is more common around day 10. How many DPO are you? Have you experienced any bleeding or any other possible symptoms? I know at this point everything can feel like a possible symptom, so I guess that might be hard to answer. Do you plan on waiting it out or testing?

Plaid- Welcome!! I know it can be so hard to wait those long, dreadful two weeks. I hope you don't get to that point, but it does get a little better after a few of them. I can now go about 7-10 DPO before I can't think about anything else. I have read a few strategies that people have used to keep distracted in the TWW, but I don't really use any. There was a member here awhile ago who had a different question her and her DP would discuss every night of the TWW. I think others have done art projects or other events. One thing that I guess I do now, is not putting things on hold. I have been trying for awhile and in the beginning I wouldn't do anything during the TWW that I couldn't do while pregnant, now I am more lenient with myself, and that makes it easier. Anyway, I hope you don't have to get there and that your stay here is short and sweet!

pook- There is a way to override or input your suspected O on FF. if you are on the website, there is a tuning/override button under Ovulation Detector, you can input your O day and cover line or change it so that you don't have to enter false information in there. I have lied to it before too and then have gotten confused about things when I looked back at it later. :)

Fille- Any updates?

AFM- Can I be moved to TWW? We got a positive OPK on Sunday and went in for an ultrasound on Monday. We weren't able to coordinate with our KD on Sunday or Monday so we did our insemination on Tuesday morning. I think I either ovulated Monday night or Tuesday morning. At our ultrasound on Monday afternoon I had 3 large follies on my left side (I think they were 26mm, 29mm and 32mm) and as of then, I hadn't ovulated, so I am hoping our timing was pretty close. They said my lining was good, (I can't remember the number) and that I look like I responded to the Clomid well. So now we just wait.

In other non TTC news: DP and I got engaged this weekend and my sister had a beautiful baby girl on Thursday!! It was a big week in our family!

Here is my niece Henley Grace! I am so in love with her and my nephew (3) is such a proud big brother. It is such an amazing thing to see these little people that my sister has created. :joy

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our baby girl, expected January 15th 2015.
Remebering our Angel Baby, Emery.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Congrats on the niece Hopeful!
8-9 DPO is good to know, I tried looking information up and couldn't find very much.
Currently I am 10 DPO. The RE is having me go in for blood work on Friday. I really can't decide if I am going to test early... I should start spotting as early as Saturday. The last few mornings I haven't felt awesome, kinda nauseous. I don't know, I'm sure I am way over thinking it. :-/ thanks for the info :-D

Me (29) hearts.gif DW (38)  superhero.gif   DS adoptionheart-1.gif  dog2.gifSchnapps dog2.gifDaisy
Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 PM

Hopeful - Thanks so much for the FF information. I had put a not on that day saying that I hadn't really gotten a +OPK but I'm glad to have it done the right way now - thanks! Your new niece is gorgeous - congratulations! My sister has 4 kids from 8 - 22 years old and I love them all so much. Good luck in the TWW - your follies sounded great! They say that insemming so close to O often produces boys because the sperm tends to be faster, but that it's female sperm that is more hardy and can last longer if they have to wait a bit before O. Are you hoping for a specific gender?

Lrex - $12k is mind blowing! At least when I consider throwing that kind of money at adoption I know there will be a tax credit to cover some of it. Of course, with those kind of expenses I suppose it's easy to meet the threshold for medical deductions. Sorry, it's tax season - these things are on my mind. I'm so excited for you though. I can't help but think that this will be it for you!

PlaidFlannel - Welcome to the board and to the TWW - I hope things are lively at the party in your uterus  :D When we were doing IUIs at an RE's office a few years ago my wife loved being the one to push the little plunger. It made her feel more included. Things are very DIY for us this time around and usually she's not even there because we have two kids now and the logistics of a sitter seem like more trouble than they're worth. As for supplements, I'm taking a prenatal, plus a B complex, vitex, and progesterone cream to try and lengthen my luteal phase and give things a chance to stick since it's only ~8 days without. I hope you have a short stay on the board - best of luck!

Fille - It's been almost a week since we last heard from you and you were expecting AF to show. Any news? My fingers are still tightly crossed for you!

AFM - Not much to report as I'm only 9DPO. I was so busy that I even forgot to take my progesterone cream so I'm starting that now. No real signs or symptoms. Just waiting.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Ladies!

Just a quick drop in to say HI and send everyone BABY DUST!!  We have lots of us in the TWW!:)

I think I have everyone where they need to be on the board opener, but if not, please let me know and I'll get you moved<3

I was able to insem 5 TIMES this weekend.  O happened a bit late for me, CD15.  From the time I get the strong LH enough to see a smiley, O happens within the next 12 hours or so.  I have to be quite vigilant in paying attention and being proactive is what got us our first BFP, SO we started early :)  We feel very blessed to have a local KD that is fabulous to work with.  Very flexible and stealth in process.  Sometimes we don't even hear him leave the house. :D

I will take time for personals this evening.  This week has been crazy busy for me...

POSITIVE vibes to ALL!!

IVI with KD fresh swimmers, at home.  BFP on 5th try with current KD...m/c in wk 7candle.gif.   BFP on 2nd try (after mc)...m/c #2, wk 7 candle.gif

Old 02-27-2014, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So excited for everyone in the TWW and everyone on the path to parenthood in some form or another!

Jwaite - thanks for being threadkeeper this month! I think I'm ready to represent for February 2014 as a graduate. I'm 7 1/2 weeks now, so I still have a few weeks before I'll be more confident that this one will stick, but I'm determined to appreciate and enjoy the fact of this pregnancy for as long as that last (which will hopefully be around 40 weeks). After all, I have no control over what happens next.

I'll be cheering everyone along!

me (34), dp (39), and baby J who joined us in October 2014!

(Two years and two mcs after we started tcc )
Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Lea, How EXCITING to get to move you to the new graduate list!!  :joy How are you feeling??  I am so impressed with you for embracing this experience, and holding as much of a positive attitude as you can!  I can tell you are going to be a wonderful Mama :Hug  I look forward to hearing more about your pregnancy, as well.  So please keep in touch!

Jam, I am really glad to hear that the HSG went so well!!  It sounds a bit intimidating...I didn't realize it was considered a "surgical procedure" of sorts.  I am with you in hopes that this is your cycle and the open tubes do the trick!!  Keep us posted on how Monday goes<3

Fille, how are you doing?  Hoping for you that AF hasn't arrived?!?

PlaidFlannel, :w!!  Hope your stay here is short and sweet<3  Glad to hear your first IUI went smoothly.  The TWW is a rollercoaster ride for most.  When we first started ttc, it was pretty hard for me not to obsess about whether I was pregnant or not.  I would read about signs and symptoms on the web.  Lol.  At some point, I let it go and have tried not to think about it as much...and when I do think about 'what if', I make sure I am thinking positive, and at the same time, I tell myself not to get my hopes up too much.  It's tricky business, yay?!!  Best wishes and welcome to this board.  Glad you joined!!

MrsSx2, How's it going there??  Hopefully those twinges are an embryo burying itself into the uterus for a long stay:)  I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!!  Hang in there.  You are more than half way thru the TWW...when will you start testing?

Irex, Sounds like things are moving along for you...It is expensive, but I am sure it will be worth it for you!  I hope you find the perfect OB/Midwifery team...the midwifery practices here do hospital as well as home births.  Shop around a bit.  I am a firm believer of interviewing practitioners before saying 'yes'.  :)  Good luck to you this week with AF.  Hope she's right on time so that you can move forward!

Hopeful, CONGRATS on your engagement!! :flowersforyou  And your new niece!!  She''s precious, thanks for sharing the pics.  It sounds like you did your best with timing and were on the money this week...fingers and toes crossed for you!!

Pookafaye, you sound like me with the short LP and taking all the xtras.  I am not taking vitex, but I've considered it.  I am doing the B6 and progesterone cream.  Does it lengthen it for you??

Baby dust to all!!! 

Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Unfortunately, my period started at almost literally the last possible hour last Friday to not be officially late. If I’d O’d on CD15 as I thought, my period was due Thursday at the latest (based on the consistent 11-13 day LP that I’ve had over years of temping). Well, looks like I must have actually O’d on CD16, because my period started at 9pm on Friday—14 DPO if I O’d on CD16. So, O’d a day later than I thought, and had a full 13 day LP. I was getting BFNs when I tested, and my temp dropped drastically Friday morning, so I wasn’t shocked, but I was a bit pissed, honestly. This is just so wearing, and even though I’m totally onboard with a 13 day LP, it was really stressful this month to expect my period for 4 days before it actually arrived.

Jwaite, can you move me to waiting to O? My O window for the new cycle falls partially over a weekend, so assuming my KD doesn’t have a schedule conflict this month, I’ll be insemming just once, next Saturday (March 8) on CD16.

And then if I’m still not pregnant after next cycle, I’ll go ahead and trying with letrazole. I’m seriously not looking forward to going back to using OPKs, even if my RE says the letrazole might make them work better for me. Two cycles in a row, testing multiple times a day and still missing my O entirely was so frustrating. But, I’m pretty burnt out on the idea that if I just get the timing right, I'll get a BFP one of these days without any intervention. So, yeah, medicated cycles, here I come. Also, still feeling very paranoid about the possibility of multiples—as a single mom, as an already default high-risk pregnancy (overweight, AMA, diabetic), pretty much all around. (Part of me is convinced that I’m so paranoid about multiples that it’s inevitable—though I’m not sure how I think the cause and effect is working there.)

No time for personals (again), but I've been reading along and keeping my fingers crossed for all of you, and will continue to do so!

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 AM

Jwaite - 5 insemms?! Incredible  :D  I hope this means things go your way this month.  We got 3 in this month, which I was somewhat disappointed with, but that just feels greedy. Like you, I'm luck to have a great donor, but the distance between San Francisco and San Jose can be just enough to get in the way. It's 3 hours for KD to get here if he can't catch a bullet train so I usually end up driving up along while DW watches the kids. She feels a little left out of the process but our agreement is that I won't test without her home. As for the progesterone, I do think it helps - I was having 8 day LPs without it and it got me up to 10 for 2 months and 12 last month. It's the end of 11DPO right now so I'm at least on track for that and I didn't get started on the cream until 2 days ago. Here's hoping I continue to fend off AF! It's really tempting to start testing tomorrow since my cycle is often so short that I never get a chance to test, but I'm trying to hang in until Sunday.

Fille - I'm sorry to hear about AF  :/

Lea - I'm so tempted to give you another dancing veggie line - LOL. Congrats on embracing your BFP - So very excited for you!

AFM - As mentioned to Jwaite - tempted to start testing in the morning at 12DPO just because it's a let down to have AF arrive and never have tested. My short LP is a bother that way. No major symptoms. I suspect that's because I was delayed on starting progesterone and that the symptoms that get me so worked up each month have only been because of that.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 AM

UPDATE:  SUPER SUPER SUPER faint positive... I'm still in a state of disbelief. Let's see what happens!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1398349/queer-conceptions-march

Please join us in the new March thread at the link above!!

(I went ahead and did this since I forgot to mention the end of the month coming so quickly ... sorry about that:)  Feb was too short:))

See you in the new thread!!

User Tag List