Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 03-01-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

:rotflmao Welcome to the March 2014 Thread:rotflmao

March is the month that we begin to see plants peek into life again,

Where the water sign Pisces is honored,

And the luck of the Irish is celebrated. 

Another powerful time to conceive new life!

dust.gifLet's make some Late Fall/Early Winter 2014 babiesdust.gif

Please put your updates in BOLD.

GRADUATES: Please click here to share how you got your BFP!

Waiting to O whistling.gif

jpg123&sandiegongp

fillefantome

Waiting to Know... Braving the 2ww fingersx.gif

Hopeful22

jwaite05

MrsSelfridgeX2 

Jam51212

Working on IUI

heyfoureyes

Working on IVF
SanDiego78

lrex99

Taking a Break/Figuring Things Out/Waiting to be readywave.gif

PlaidFlannel

TTCinKS

osker

mamaetmaman

DarcySD

invitnconceptn

TaviPDX

Fmorris28 chartnew.gif

greenpants

bettertomarry

Kbfs

Lovestreet13
JustAnotherJenny
KWPX2
TineyDreams
Scorpioma
Rs11
Darthtunaqueen
heart-n-bones
BByH1Pr

2014 Graduates!

March* Pookafaye:joy

February* Lea2012 :joy

2013 Graduates!

December* Twomommyfamily  *Agrex:joy

November * Prettyisa  * Sevie  * Friederike

October * redrockband 

August * Lizbian * Beastie 
May * Lovingisliving 
March * Escher  * Sotohana  * Amt1015 
February * Granite 
January * Esenbee2  * LindseyW  * Sphinxy 

2012 Graduates!

December * Joyseattle * Mrsandmrs & Bigfoot
October * Cordelia15 * PokeyAC * Easttowest * ErinTNgirl * Outdoorsy
September * Wishin'&hopin' * Lisedea * Tandy401
August *Thenewzero * KnittingTigers * TaraL
July * Cananny
May * Mtnlisa
April * Nosreves
March * SkyandTru * JuneBug
February * MidwifeStephPDX * SouthernBelle24
January * Planet * Dandylez

2011 Graduates!

December * DesertSunsets
November * Aljm41910
October * Vienna79 * KSDoulaMama * Pleasantlyfurious * SwtRainbowBrite * Go_Vegan
September * Smilingsara * Ad Astra * Mumquest
August * Prettyisa
July * Onemommyonemama * Southern Fried Karma
June * CrystalPerez * Qmama42
May * KellySF
April * Want2bmumx2 * Indigoscot
March * Graceie * Seraf * 2ezforyou * Mommy55
February * Escher * SharriKitColorado * DAWNMP1
January * Starling&diesel

2010 Graduates!

November * Mizyellow * AmyPDX * AmandaHope * Cejae
September * Solejean * Painefaria
August * Bttrflygypsy * 2happymamas * LibraryLady
July * Beastie * Gumshoegirl007 * Wehrli
June * Coco
May * Burg * Korey
April * Calimeow * Mtnlisa * Kimlyn32
February * Mistral * Quasar & Smartycat * Monarchgrrl * Erthe_mama
January * Lyndzies * FtMpapa

2009 Graduates!

December* Osker * Megan sacha * Mkpgoddess
October * JJNoho * Mommies 2 Be * Megincl & Ktcl
September * Elismum1908 * KSDoulaMama * Pleasantlyfurious
August * Chicagoml * Wishin'&hopin'
July * Hbog
May * Indigoscot
April * Kelmendi * KJM * Whoabethy * Carmen
March * Scalpel * Katwomyn4
February * Deny_zoo29
January * Jodybird511

NiseNise likes this.

blowkiss.gif Me   wild.gif  DW  ROTFLMAO.gifDS (10)

IVI with KD fresh swimmers, at home.  BFP on 5th try with current KD...m/c in wk 7candle.gif.   BFP on 2nd try (after mc)...m/c #2, wk 7 candle.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 80 Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and support on the cost of IVF, my OB question, and my delayed AF. 

pokeyAC - thank you so much for your feedback on the hospital/OB question, and your own story.  That sounds like just what I'm thinking too. Cool! 

Hopeful - Thanks! I do worry about money regurlarly, but you're right - it will be worth it when I bring a wee one home. Congrats on the beautiful niece, and your engagement!  I hope your TWW goes quickly and ends with a BFP!

JWaite - sending you positive vibes!!  I'm not a great provider shopper, but you're right - that's something that would be helpful.  And the time it will take to complete the IVF process to complete will give me a chance to do so.  Thanks for the reminder and encouragement!

Lea - Congratulations!!! So exciting, and a great philosophy.  

Fillefantome - I'm sorry to hear about AF.  And I agree - OPKs and timing are so frustrating!  Especially when it is unsuccessful. Hugs!  And I hear you about the multiples concern.  As a single parent-to-be myself, I have the debate going of whether to put in one or two embryos (if I get that far) and risk twins.  Wishing you all the best and a safe, single, BFP next month!

pookafaye - So excited for the super faint positive - hope it turns into a BFP!!! Oh - and also I totally thought about the tax deduction for the medical expenses - since I just did my taxes too.  Gotta find silver linings, right? 

AFM - I thought I spotted last night a teeny tiny bit, but nothing so far today, so still waiting for late ol' AF to show up so I can start my IVF cycle.  She has until Monday morning, when I get to call the RE again to see what happened and move her along.  I keep having dreams about starting my period, so either it's coming or I'm just obsessing. 

Wishing you all the best!:joy

Me (38), single parent by choice and transgender, TTC #1 via IVF.  

tried unsuccessfully via BD in '01 and unsuccessfully via ICI in '11. Endometriosis, ovarian cysts, anovulation, oh my... left fallopian tube removed in '12. now on to IVF.  my IVF journey is at pride-of-lions.blogspot.com

#3 of 80 Old 03-01-2014, 11:26 AM

I totally spaced on it being March - so, in case you don't read Lrex's mention of it, I had a super faint positive test this morning. Woo! It's funny that this may have worked out the month that I only managed 3 insemms instead fo 4 or 5, never caught O, and forgot to start the progesterone for a week.Here's hoping for a sticky little blast!

#4 of 80 Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
lrex99, it's always weird to be saying this in this context, but I hope your period starts ASAP, so you can get things started....

Jam51212, I'm glad your HSG went well (and that your insurance coverage is good--it makes such a difference). Hoping you have the post-HSG luck this time around!

mamaetmaman and sandiego--thinking of you both, hoping you and your DWs are doing well and taking care of yourselves, and that we'll see you back again soon!

lea2012--so glad that you feel ready to graduate! Wishing you the stickiest of sticky babies, and a smooth and peaceful pregnancy. broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

Pookafaye, they say a positive is a positive, so yay!!!! Keeping fingers crossed for a healthy, sticky babe for you, and for the process with your foster son to proceed smoothly and quickly! (I have all the dancing veggies at the ready for you.)

Belated welcome, heyfoureyes and PlaidFlannel!

And, of course, fingers crossed for all in the TWW: TTCinKS, Mrsselfridgex2, PlaidFlannel, Hopeful22 (Congratulations on your engagement, and the new member of your family!), and jwaite05 (Awesome that you were able to insem so much this time around/that your process with your KD has been so easy.).

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#5 of 80 Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey guys, I wanted to drop by to wish you all the best of luck for this month. dust.gif

Lea, I am so happy things are going well and you are the first 2014 graduate. wave.gif I'll keep my fingers crossed that your babe continues to grow and be healthy, many congratulations. The second trimester isn't far.

Pookafaye , wow, that is amazing news. joy.gif We've seen the strangest cycles work here on this board, so I have high hopes for you. A line is a line!

lrex, I hope you get to start your IVF journey soon. You seem extremely well prepared. I hope you respond well in the stim cycle.
We totally don't care about the 12k€ anymore by now. Other people spend that much on fancy cars or questionable financial investments. We might be pretty much broke by now, sure, but we have the greatest gift ever on the way and we are young enough to earn and save money again if we manage our lifestyle sensibly. We figured, we're already saving about 3000-4000 bucks otherr people spend on fancy baby items by buying used, avoiding unneccessary gear and cloth diapering.
If you're interested I could look up the statistics of multiples for your age group with the different transfer options. It helped us with the decision.

#6 of 80 Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Fried!!  It's so AWESOME to see your signature line with the stork at 19 weeks already!!  How time flies<3  So so so happy for you guys!

POOKAFAYE, OOOO SOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!  I am sending lots and lots of positive energy your way in hopes that this is the pregnancy that will bring you a the new child you've been dreaming for...  It's quite comical that we all spend so much time and money on monitoring, and somehow it's still up to the cosmos to decide.  Great that you knew your body well enough and had other ways of tracking so that you insemmed when you needed to!  Everything's crossed for you guys.  fingersx.gif

Lea, dear, how are you feeling?  When do you go to the doc again?  Are you and DP/DW doing a bunch of shopping?  My DW was a shop-a-holic when we got our BFP - lol - and she HATES to shop.  Too funny!  I hope you are getting rest and relaxation as much as you can.  Only one more month of your first trimester!!

lrex, hope AF hurries up.  Never comes when we want her too and always shows up when we wish she wouldn't.  Good luck this week with the RE and moving forward.  Keep us posted.  I enjoy hearing about the process of the IVF and they have such a high success rate.  (And yet I am a chicken when it comes to trying one.  Maybe my DW will be interested when it's her turn:)  Her Mom wants a Grandchild so much that she sent us a magazine article about IVF successes:))  Keeping you in my thoughts.

Jam, hope your insem goes well.  I am thinking about you too.  You'll be starting your TWW while I'm finishing mine.  The first half hasn't been so bad for me.  I have noticed that I am a bit anxious now though.  I am turning 40 next Saturday, and I have said this whole time that I would try til I'm 40 then it would be DW's turn.  I don't think this will be my last cycle if I don't get a BFP this cycle...but I will begin to look into an IUI cycle.  Maybe begin with something similar to you guys...un-medicated IUI with or without monitoring, depending on the cost.  I just had to get a new insurance policy and noticed that some infertility is covered.  Not sure exactly what, but there is some coverage.  Lighting a candle for a magical insem for you!!

afm, as what I mentioned in my response to Jam, I am turning 40 next Saturday and really hoping for the best birthday present I could ever receive.  AF is supposed to arrive, if she's coming, on my actually bday.  I have had slight cramping for the first week of this TWW.  I am getting ready to google what that may be about.  Anyone heard of or experience this and what it could be from?

Happy March to all!!

IVI with KD fresh swimmers, at home.  BFP on 5th try with current KD...m/c in wk 7candle.gif.   BFP on 2nd try (after mc)...m/c #2, wk 7 candle.gif

#7 of 80 Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Hey all! I will come back later and do personals. Happy March to everyone.

Can you move me to waiting to O. I started spotting yesterday and AF came full on this morning. Had blood test on Friday and a BFN test this morning. Hopefully next month will be better. DW and I are thinking about trying a natural cycle this month and maybe some acupuncture... Be back later.

Mrs.SX2

Me (29) hearts.gif DW (38)  superhero.gif   DS adoptionheart-1.gif  dog2.gifSchnapps dog2.gifDaisy
#8 of 80 Old 03-02-2014, 11:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board.  My partner and I are just starting our journey.  First fertility appointment with RE is at the end of March.  Totally nervous but excited.  Any idea how long it usually takes to start IUI after first fertility appointment with RE at Kaiser?

Sticky baby dust to y'all.

pokeyac likes this.
#9 of 80 Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Hi all - I'll drop by and do personals later, but wanted to let you know AF came yesterday!!!  That means I am now on Day 2 of my official IVF cycle.  WOOHOO!!!

Thank you so much for all of your kind messages.  It means a lot to me. I almost cried for happiness when I started spotting, because my body hadn't indicated previously what was going on. I was convinced that today I would need to call the RE and go in for more blood work to figure out why my body wasn't cooperating again.  And it was so great to share both the worry and now the excitement with you!

Of course, now I'm cramping, so that's not fun, but it's worth it.  :)

My schedule is three weeks of Oral contraceptives, aspirin, prescription strength prenatals and doxcycline. Then I add a steroid for five days, and in about a month from now I will start injections of menopur and follistim.  

So still lots of waiting, but at least I'm on my way! :thumb

Wishing you all the best!

MrsSelfridgex2 likes this.

Me (38), single parent by choice and transgender, TTC #1 via IVF.  

tried unsuccessfully via BD in '01 and unsuccessfully via ICI in '11. Endometriosis, ovarian cysts, anovulation, oh my... left fallopian tube removed in '12. now on to IVF.  my IVF journey is at pride-of-lions.blogspot.com

#10 of 80 Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for all the enthusiasm and veggie parades - I’m hope you all follow me soon on that graduate board (and that I get to stay on it)!

I wanted to write again, in case it got lost in the shuffle last month:
I have some unopened, in the box, progesterone (endometrin) suppositories that prettyisa passed on to me when she didn’t need them anymore, and in a surprising twist, I haven’t needed them after all. Would someone on this board like them? If so, PM me with your address and I’ll send them your way.

pookafaye – I’m so excited to hear about your faint positive! I hope it has gotten darker!!!

jwaite – happy upcoming birthday! I hope you get great news!

MrsSelfridge – sorry AF came. Glad you have an upbeat look towards the future. I was really glad I started acupuncture…I think it has been very helpful for both my body and my mind.

Welcome, BabyFaith – I hope that things go swiftly for you!

lrex – so glad to hear that things are on track for you!

me (34) and dp (39). After 18 months of IVI with a KD and 2 losses excitedly awaiting the arrival of a baby in October 2014! 

****5****10****15****20****25****
30****35****
#11 of 80 Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hi BabyFaith! Welcome to Mothering and Queer Parenting! I went through Kaiser. They made us take a class on "The Art of Fertility" and then do some diagnostic blood tests on cycle day 3 and around day 20. Have you already done that stuff? If so, you can probably start pretty quickly. My RE recommended an HSG which I did before starting, but you wouldn't necessarily need to do that before you can start. Do you plan on using any medications? I started off without them, but Kaiser can also help with monitoring which can be helpful for timing. If you plan on using medications, they may want you to do a Clomid Challenge test, but I think you can inseminate that same cycle. Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#12 of 80 Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Just to check in - the test is getting darker every day - so excited! Thanks for all the well wishes :D
MrsSelfridgex2 likes this.

#13 of 80 Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! 

pokeyAC: Thanks so much for sharing and congratulations on your baby boy!!  We are really excited - it will be our first child.  However, I am already 39 and we are feeling like time is running out quickly.  I had to have the cycle 3 tests done before they would allow me to schedule to the first appointment with the RE.    I have gotten all the tests back really quickly, except AMH and of course now I am starting to worry.  The NP told me that the HSG would not be necessary at this particular time. 

I am pretty irregular so was thinking that maybe we should immediately start with medication? and am trying to research the best possible options to maximize the chances.  Any thoughts would be most appreciated.  Just feeling a little overwhelmed with questions right now...

We are planning on going through a sperm bank (not local) but I am a little worried about how everything will work out re coordinating shipments and timing of insemination. 

#14 of 80 Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 AM

BabyFaith - You updated your location to the bay area - howdy neighbor! DW and I have kaiser too but we didn't go IUI during our recent tries. We have different insurance when we did IUIs while trying for our first. At that time we were using California Cryobank and we had no problem getting sperm to our RE in time. It's already frozen so if you have the chance just aim to get it there early. I'm 35 and my cycle has shifted drastically as I got older and I had a pretty sever issue with luteal phase defect. 7 days is not a long enough LP for anything to even have to get a chance to implant. I used some herbs and hormones to get that in order over the last several months - had a record LP of 12 days last month. :) So for me tracking well enough to recognize the problem was key. Have you been tracking your cycle long? I would usually test with cheap OPKs 3X a day around my expected O to nail it down and sometimes I still wouldn't catch it. It happened this cycle too and yet it seems to have finally worked anyway! I've never done prescribed medication for my efforts though so I'm little help there. It's nice to know there's someone local on the board - I'm in San Jose and plan to give birth at Kaiser South San Jose because they have a bigger/better birth center there than Santa Clara based on my research. Wouldn't it be funny to end up with the same OBGYN?

#15 of 80 Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 AM

pookafaye – Howdy, neighbor!! We’re not too far from you and are up in Oakland. Good to know that timing the arrival of sperm does not pose too much of a problem.  I was having nightmares of shipping too early and then having cycles cancelled for various reasons (ie. too many follies etc.).  Right now we're also thinking maybe California Cryobank or European Sperm Bank.  Thanks for the tip - I haven’t been tracking but probably should be.  I will pick up an OPK so that I am all prepared by the time my appointment happens.  Hope everything is going well for you.

#16 of 80 Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM

BabyFaith - If you want to test a lot I highly recommend going the cheap route on OPKS. I have used these: http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pacof3ovtess.html and these: http://www.amazon.com/Wondfo-Step-Ovulation-Strips-50-Count/dp/B004IJHDN6 Your RE might tell you not to bother tracking (mine did and I think it's why we never had a BFP before giving up and switching to adoption) but I completely recommend it. It made me feel more informed and more in control. My cycle is a normal length from an objective perspective but I was Oing around CD21 and having a 7 day LP. So without that knowledge I would have been insemming ~CD14 and not been aware that I needed to do anything to fix my LP. 

#17 of 80 Old 03-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while. Lots going on. Could you please move us back to the December 2013 graduates list? We are at 13 weeks today and just did the first trimester screen. Looks like everything is going great. Thanks for the information and support. I'll check back to see if there are any questions we can help with but I guess we will be moving on to the pregnancy thread. Thanks again and good luck!
#18 of 80 Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM

pookafaye - Thanks for the links and info.  Totally agree, its better to be informed even if they don't make use of the information.  Thanks for sharing :)

#19 of 80 Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

:wBabyFaith!!  Glad you have found us...hope your stay is fluid here, and you get the outcome you are dreaming for quickly!

AGREX, CONGRATS once again!!   I love the feeling of moving names to the Graduate Lists!!  I hope the pregnancy is going well so far and that you enjoy every moment.

Pookafaye, how are you?  

afm, 8dpo and I'm actually thinking of testing early.  But I won't.  Just driving myself a bit crazy with the wondering.  LOL.  It's funny how are minds do that, huh?!?!  How's everyone else doing with their tww?

#20 of 80 Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Hi.

I think I should be here? I'm honestly not really sure.  We're probably not ttc until next month, but I need to be a bit more focused and mindful about things, so maybe this will help.  I guess could you please put me as waiting to be ready? Also, at the same time, could you please put me as an Oct 2013 graduate?  I was pregnant, so I want to honor that part of my journey, though I am not pregnant now.  Hmm, maybe an update on us for those who don't know us would be good... okay, so...

I am K, partner and wife to H (together 16yrs this summer).  From 2006-2009 I was hot and heavy on the boards here as we were very very very earnestly trying to get pregnant with our first.  It took us three years, but we finally did get DW pregnant and our amazing daughter was born in 2010.  Since then we waited, and waited, and waited til the right time to try again for #2 and finally late summer/early fall we were ready.  After only three months I got pregnant.  We were shocked and elated. Then came massive mood swings, horrible fighting, so much anger and irritation, and finally understanding of it all; the baby did not live past six weeks gestation.  For me, the miscarriage, which came on Christmas Day, made so much sense.  I had known all along that something wasn't right and part of me was so relieved to know what was wrong.  But then came the hormone crash and the emotional upheaval.  It took over a month for me to feel like I was even moderately interested in trying to climb out of a dark pit.  We still aren't back to "normal", but we're trying.  And we want to try again for another baby... in the time since the miscarriage I have gotten pretty bad about taking care of myself. I've slacked off with vitamins, drink more than I used to, have a renewed addiction to caffeine, and heaven forbid I exercise.  I think I'm still angry with my body.  But, I need to get back on the train.  I need to be taking care of myself again.  So, my hope is that I can connect here and feel like there is a reason to take care of myself again.  

So, yeah, that's me. 

Hi.  

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#21 of 80 Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM

Hello everyone!
My partner and I want to try for our first baby this month and could use some advice!
Doing home insem would it be better to use IUI or ICI?
Is there anyone that used an anonymous donor? Because we are thinking about using one.
We could use any tips on how to greater out chance of conception smile.gifsmile.gif

Me (23) && Beautiful DW (23) joy.gifrainbow1284.gif ..Ready for new addition love.gif to join Max dog2.gif
#22 of 80 Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 AM

jwaite05 - Thanks so much!!! Thrilled to be here and happy to connect with y'all!!!thanks.gif

#23 of 80 Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 PM

Wow It has been busy around here! So many new people!

Pook- Congratulations!! How are you feeling so far? I would love to give you some dancing veggies is it too soon? I think they are they greatest!

Agrex- broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif broc1.gifcarrot.gifbanana.gif  Dancing veggies for you and a big Congratulations!!

Lea- Not sure if I already did veggies for you but since I love them so much: broc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifbroc1.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gifcarrot.gif!

Pook, Lea and Agrex- Have you had the chance to share how you got your BFP on this thread? http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1372030/how-did-you-or-dp-dw-get-pregnant  I would love to read about it if you want to share.

BabyFaith and Nise- :w

BabyFaith- If it helps you regarding the timing of shipping, when I used frozen sperm the bank said that they would be fine in there for a week. And if you are getting it shipped right to your RE's office where you will be doing the IUI I would assume they would have a way to store it for a short period of time, I know my clinic was able to. I think you said you have irregular cycles, are you planning on starting with any meds?

Nise- Welcome to TTC! I hope your stay is short and sweet! We'd love to hear more about your family. As far as ICI or IUI, if you are using fresh sperm you aren't able to do either. You said anonymous donor, so I wasn't sure if you meant known donor (KD) or one from a bank. Sperm needs to be washed if you are going to be putting it in up past your cervix, so with fresh you would do ivi or inter vaginal insemination. If you are using frozen sperm, then I would say IUI. My first time around trying my DP and I did IUIs at home with frozen donor sperm. It took a bit of practice for the both of us to know what we were doing, but it was a nice feeling of doing it on our own as much as possible. If you are using frozen sperm at home, I would definitely recommend getting some speculum's and play with them a bit. They come in handy doing IUIs and ICIs so you can thread the catheter in. My DP and I are using a known donor, so if that is the route you are going, I might be able to help you with some questions if you have any. As far as tips, I would recommend two books, Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth by Stephanie Brill. Both are filled with more information then you will ever need!

Mrs.S- Sorry to hear about the arrival of AF :angry

JWaite- Happy almost birthday! Have you resisted testing?

Osker- Welcome back, although I am sorry to hear that it didn't stick last time. I'm sure it can be really hard to get back into the TTC swing of things, so be gentle with yourself. It sounds like it has been quite a roller coaster for you both.

AFM- Just sitting here at 9 DPO.... I just had to look at my FF to figure that out! That is a pretty good sign that I am not obsessing in this TWW (yet).

dust.gifto you all!

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our baby girl, expected January 15th 2015.
Remebering our Angel Baby, Emery.

#24 of 80 Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM

Thank you Hopeful22! Unfortunately our KD has decided not to go through with it:( but we have decided to buying from a bank..we are going to check out those books

Me (23) && Beautiful DW (23) joy.gifrainbow1284.gif ..Ready for new addition love.gif to join Max dog2.gif
#25 of 80 Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

:w Osker and Nise!  Glad you found us...

Osker, I am very sorry to hear about your m/c.  But glad to hear your are getting geared up to try again.  I, too, had a mc in the fall...and I, too, had slacked on the vitamins and taking care of myself area.  I even slacked off on monitoring last cycle:(  After that cycle tho', I have gotten back into it and feel like I'm back to normal, both in mind and body.  It does take some time.  I thought I wouldn't wait 3 cycles like the OB was suggesting, and it just happened that I really needed that time to let my body and head get back into the game, so to speak.  Hope your next cycle or two will bring you some peace of mind and you can gear back up!!  This board is a tremendous support!

Nise, I am insemming at home IVI with a KD (fresh swimmers).  The two books Hopeful suggested are wonderful!  I am a chicken to try ICI or IUI at home but I know ppl here have, and were successful.  Best of luck to you!  We tried with frozen sperm from a bank a couple of times and it was fun picking out a donor! :)  Are you beginning your search??

Hopeful, Thank you for the birthday wishes!!  I am resisting the poas frenzy!  LOL!  I so wanted to the other day, but I knew it was ridiculous.  I am trying not to read into every little light cramping or moody/tired feeling.  Every day this week, either my close friend at work or DW has asked me what was wrong and that I had a look on my face like I was bothered or perplexed.  Other than being a bit tired and run down, I feel normal.  So I wonder what that means?  Again, easy to let my mind say 'maybe you are pregnant'.  We are right at the same place in our cycles, you and I.  Fun to have a cycle buddy:)  When will you start to test?

#26 of 80 Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 PM

Wow so much has went on on this board lately! I will try my best with personals! 

Jwaite – Happy early birthday! I know what you mean about trying not to look into everything you may or may not be feeling! I came to the conclusion that they can all be mean everything and nothing so I should just ignore it all haha Best of luck fighting the POAS frenzy ha

Nise – WELCOME! I hope your stay is short and sweet! This board is filled with amazing women with loads of knowledge. We are trying for our first with an anonymous donor from the California cryobank and doing IUIs at a RE’s office.

Hopeful – Glad the 2ww is going fast for you! Any plans to test? Almost there now!

Osker – WELCOME! I’m sorry to hear about your MC. I too had one this past Fall and it was tremendously hard to pick myself back up from that and it took my body several months to get back on track to be able to try again. Be gentle on yourself and allow yourself time to heal and take a break. Best of luck!

Agrex – CONGRATS again! Glad everything is going well!

Pook – How are you feeling!? SO excited for you!

Lea – CONGRATS again! Glad everything is going well for you too!

Lrex – Glad you are on your way to the real deal try!

BabyFaith – WELCOME! I hope your appointment goes well!

Mrs – Sorry to hear about AF! Hoping this next cycle is your one! Sorry if I missed anyone 

AFM – Can I please be moved to braving the 2WW wait? I will try and make my update short and sweet but it really has been a crazy past few days. I went in Saturday for my CD18 ultrasound and things seemed to be progressing very slowly. I have always surged on CD19 and insemed on CD20 so I was anticipating going back in Sunday for my last monitoring appointment but on Saturday they called with my lab results and said they didn’t want me to come back in until Monday. I questioned them saying that I always surge on CD19 and I was surprised they wouldn’t bring me in and they told me my follicles were still very small and the doctor wouldn’t insem until they were at least 18 and then proceeded to tell me to have intercourse at which point I had to remind them that I was in a same sex relationship and that wouldn’t do my any good. BLAH! Well I went in Monday, frustrated and during my ultrasound they noticed that my leading follicle was no longer visible, I told the tech that I thought I had surged Sunday and I had taken a OPK and it was positive. Well that afternoon they call with my results and say I haven’t ovulated yet but will be soon and wanted me to come in right now for an IUI. I HAD BEEN TELLING THEM FOR 2 WEEKS I WOULD INSEM ON MONDAY! Grr. Well I leave work in a hurry and drive the 45 mins to the clinic where my DW meets me there. We got back for the IUI where they tell us that the sample basically failed the minimum requirements. So needless to say things are stacked up against us this try but I am trying to stay optimistic that it could be our lucky try and that we get that hsg luck! I will try to do better and follow along  Best of luck to those getting close to insems and testing time!

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35* ***40
#27 of 80 Old 03-06-2014, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Hi! I just wanted to clarify the difference between IUI, ICI and IVI because they seem to get confused.
IUI-Intraunterine Insemination-A catheter is used to go through the cervix into the uterus to deposit the sperm there. This can only be done with IUI-ready sperm. It has been washed so the semen is removed and only sperm and a medium remain. You cannot use ICI-ready sperm for IUI because it can cause serious cramping. IUI can be done at home yourself, but is often done by a doctor or midwife or nurse. We had a midwife who came to our home to do it. There is a thread in this forum about people doing it themselves. This sperm usually costs more because it is washed and it is a smaller sample. Chances of getting pregnant are usually higher because the swimmers get where they need to go faster.
ICI-Intracervical Insemination-This is basically the same thing as IVI. The sperm is deposited near the cervix so that it can swim up into the uterus on its own. It's usually best not to use a speculum for this because some of the sperm can be pulled out when you pull out the speculum. This sperm usually costs less than IUI-ready because it is not washed. It is a larger sample. Lots of folks do this at home themselves and get pregnant, especially if they are young and healthy.
IVI-Intravaginal insemination
NiseNise likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#28 of 80 Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM

Thank you Hopeful22 and jam51212!

Hopeful22  The doctor's office does not store sperm so I have to have it shipped home and then bring it in to the appointment.  We are hoping a 7 day window will be sufficient to work in terms of timing... The last few months cycles have been good and regular so praying that this will continue because they can have a tendency to go completely haywire for many months for no apparent reason. If the RE suggests meds because my clock is ticking loudly then I will probably go with the recommendation.  In the meantime I am finding donor picking is much harder than I imagined.... but I am sure it will all work out!

#29 of 80 Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
BabyFaith, I'm not using frozen sperm, so I'm no expert, but I've read from others on the thread that you can refill the shipping canister with new dry ice so that it will keep beyond a week (as long as your bank will let you keep it longer). Might be worth checking.

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#30 of 80 Old 03-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Jwaite05- Thank you very much! We have started our search and it is actually fun! We are hoping to order a donor IUI or ICI next month!!!

Jam51212- Awesome! This will be our first as well! Do you mind me asking what made you choose anonymous? That's really our debate for at the moment. Even though its a personal decision I would love to know how others feel about both sides.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page