Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting in April, May, June, July - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

#31 of 84 Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Jam - Congratulations! Too bad we're not closer so our little guys could be friends.

Lea - Wow, I'm so glad that you're all ok, but what a horrible thing to come home too! I hope that dealing with the aftermath goes swiftly and easily for you all.

Redrock - Yay for the job offer! We considered a nanny share with friends at one point - but everyone has moved and it's no longer a convenient thing. I hope it works out for you guys. We've loved the preschool we went with but that was only for 2 days a week. I'm graduating and will be home with the kids while I take a break to have the baby before starting grad school. Even then we're hoping to avoid putting the kids back in care until I go back to work FT. We moved my dad in with us last month and grad school will be part time so I'm really hoping we can avoid the extra cost.

Liz - Boy names are totally tricker that girl names. We think we've decided though..

AFM - There's been a lot of naming talk lately and we still can't get DD on board with the idea of a boy rather than a girl so she rejects all of our name choices out of hand. But we're feeling confident enough about our choice that we've actually started using his name and not just "the baby". Our little guy will be Alexander Neil. I'm a big fan of names that can have various nicknames - it allows a kid to make the name their own. Bonus: the name means "cloud". I am a huge lover of clouds, they're my favorite subject to paint and something I'm constantly distracted by the beauty of. Neil was chosen because it is one of the few that have both western and hindu origins and DW is East Indian. Moreover, the hindu meaning is blue - everyone in the family's favorite color. There are lots of great Neils out in the world too like Neil Degrasse Tyson, Neil Gaiman, and even Neil Patrick Harris. It was a surprise choice, but it has really grown on us.

****5****10**diaper.gif*15****20****25****30****35****40

#32 of 84 Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Jam - how cool that you're also having a boy. What a great bunch of young men we're gonna have in a couple of years, all raised by their awesome mommas.

Pook - I love love love your name choice. Alexander is super popular in Germany right now (#2 on the favorite baby names 2013 list), which is why we didn't use it, but we really did talk about naming our little one Nils Alexander at one point. And of course our Nils is pronounced just like Neil with an extra s, although I just googled that the origins of both names are different.

#33 of 84 Old 05-13-2014, 10:13 AM

Thanks for commiserating with me about the burglary. It has been hard to deal with, but things are mostly back in order , insurance claim is in-progress, police report is done, windows are replaced, and we're working on coming up with some more secure places to store important things so we feel less vulnerable. Although I sort of doubt we'll be targeted again anytime soon, since they discovered that we have more art supplies than electronics. 

As for the pregnancy, still not feeling any definitive movement, but I'm trying to have patience. Our big ultrasound is a week from Thursday, so that will be a nice opportunity to check on the status of everything (although we're not finding out the sex). Other than that, I'm having very few symptoms except terrible heartburn in the evenings (I like spicy food so much and I'm so sad I can't eat it right now) and today I discovered that a bunch of my shoes don't quite fit. I usually work from home, so I don' t have to dress up much, but we're having really beautiful weather this week and I'm out and about today so I'm wearing a skirt and I tried to put on my nicer more summer-y shoes and they were almost all just a little too tight in the top of my foot/toe area. They may be okay to wear around a bit, but I'm walking/taking the bus/carrying a heavy bag all over the place today. I'm hoping that the swelling of my feel is just a typical pregnancy thing and not anything to be worried about.

How is everyone else doing?  

me (34) and dp (39). After 18 months of IVI with a KD and 2 losses excitedly awaiting the arrival of a baby in October 2014! 

****5****10****15****20****25****30***3 5****40
#34 of 84 Old 05-14-2014, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear, things are getting back to normal for you Lea. Have you tried a couple of almonds or nuts with the heartburn? I wouldn't worry about the shoe issue since you're having warm weather so you might retain more water and also because the Relaxin hormone output is highest early in the second trimester, so your joints and ligaments get more flexible and wider. I have noticed that my formerly beautifully arched, strong runners feet have become flat, fat elephant feet with the influence of the additional weight and the Relaxin. Right now I am most comfortable in sneakers and Chucks so I wear them even to work. I would only watch out for heavy swelling all over (ankles, legs, hands, face) because that can be a sign of gestosis.

afm - I have reached the third trimester. Yay. Our boy is still very big at 2 1/2 pounds and 15something inches and a head measuring at the 100th percentile, but we were able to rule out gestational diabetes as a possible cause. It is a bit scary for me that he's so big, but that's what you get for choosing a 6'1 donor. I am struggling a bit with all the extra weight in my belly and my killer boobs, I guess could use a bigger butt to at least balance things out. Only 17 more days of work until maternity leave for me, so I am really pushing to get stuff finished. Tons of (mid-) term papers and Master thesis' to grade while also having our Secretary of the State come in and give a speech and dealing with his security people. Meanwhile DW is travelling to the Netherlands for work this week, where she caught a bad sinus infection, so she might not be able to paint the baby room this weekend like planned. Ah, fun times.

#35 of 84 Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Lea--I hear you on the feet. Like Fried said, chucks are good. I haven't got any other shoes except a pair of dress flats that fit lately, and I'm trying to decide if I really need sandals. You're early yet, though, so it's probably worth it to go and get some cheap ones somewhere. I'm glad you're feeling safer--I had a break-in once and it definitely messed with me for a while. Hopefully you're right and they won't be back!

Fried--Wow! That is big! But big is good--the bigger they are when they're born, the better they sleep. And I don't think it actually makes any difference for birth--he's going to seem huge no matter what!

AFM--another appointment and scan this morning. I'm measuring 41 weeks, which explains why I feel about as big/bad/grouchy as I ever did with DD--she was born at 41+1. Everything is going fine other than the minor complaints, though, and both boys are logging in at a little under 4 1/2lbs, a few days ahead of schedule, and almost equally sized, which is all good. We are slowly, slowly getting their room finished--my dad and I installed the doors to partition things off and now I think there's about a day left of fixing things up before we can hire someone to drywall and paint, which is awesome. Still lots of finishing that will need to happen after that (and flooring!) but at least I have some vague hope that we'll have it looking like part of the house by the end of the month. smile.gif

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#36 of 84 Old 05-15-2014, 01:49 PM

lea: So sorry to hear about the burglary, someone broke into our car somewhat recently and the feeling was pretty awful, I can imagine if it would have been our house. I hope they didn't take anything irreplaceable. Did they happen to find out how did it? I hope your scan goes well. 

jam: yay for another boy! There are so many of them. There was a thread a while ago keeping track of boys/girls and fresh/frozen. I assumed we'd have a boy based on hearing that it is more likely with frozen and how close to ovulation we inseminated. Who knows. How did the families react? 

pook: How great that you get to be home with the kids for awhile. I am starting to wish I had the option to stay home longer, great timing. Love the name for your little guy!

fried: congrats on the third trimester, almost there! I think our donor was 6'1" too, but our baby seems pretty small, in the 40-50th percentile, he especially seems to have my short legs. I'm not loving the huge boobs either, they just keep growing and growing, ugh. Good luck finishing up work. I'm trying to make sure things run smoothly while I'm gone. I've got a few more weeks to make sure everything is in order. 

isa: 41 weeks, wow. You must be feeling ready to get those little guys out. I don't remember, do you have a date set that they don't want you to go past? We are slowly making progress on the baby room too, very very slowly. I've about given up on getting it done before baby gets here. 

AFM: Well, we had an exciting night at the hospital last night. I had been feeling more braxton hicks, so I started tracking them with an app at work yesterday. They were an average of about 15-20 minutes apart. Talked to our midwife who wasn't too concerned, but said to try some things and let her know if nothing made them go away or slow down. After work I put my feet up, drank lots of water and they were 10 minutes or less apart. She was on call at the hospital last night so we decided to go in and get checked out. When we got there they hooked me up to the monitors and they were about 2-3 minutes apart. She did some tests and no dilation or anything...so eventually they said we could go home and that I just have a really excited and active uterus. I'm still having braxton hicks every 3-5 minutes, which is really fun ;) At least they aren't painful. 

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and a baby on the way

****5****10****15****20****25***stork-boy.gif30****35****40

#37 of 84 Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 AM

Redrock--how are things going? It must be scary having contractions all the time! Glad it's not early labor, though, and that they don't hurt. I feel like I have one once in a while, but I honestly don't really even recognize them as contractions if that's what they are most of the time. I'm getting kicked so much now that I kind of just assume that any time it hurts I'm getting another jab somewhere.

AFM--33 weeks! I have five to go before they start talking about inductions--apparently twins are done sooner than singletons? At any rate, my guess for the induction date is July 2, which is fine by me. I don't want them born on the 4th if we can help it, and five weeks still feels like a looong time to go. They've started to get hiccups now, though, which is reassuring! DD got them all the time and I was worrying about these little guys since I know it can be a sign of their lungs getting ready to work, so it's nice to feel some little hics in there now and then.

How is everyone else doing? Are you all having as hard a time as I am finding clothes to wear now that sweaters are out?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#38 of 84 Old 05-22-2014, 12:59 PM

Hello!

Sorry to have been so quiet - what a couple of weeks it has been! I was caught up in final projects for a while there and then graduated last Saturday. Yay! Except, now I have to figure out what I'm doing with the rest of my life  ;)  I have the opportunity to stay home with the kids a while since I'm due in the middle of the upcoming Fall semester, but we don't want to put off being a two income family forever, and student loans will come knocking to boot. 

I also have a scary hospital story now - but it's nowhere near dramatic as what some of you have been through recently. I had extreme abdominal pain the other day, hoped it was "just gas" and spent the day rolling around in pain. Nothing helped. We finally got an urgent care appointment, and the soonest one was at the Kaiser a little further from us. Right before we left for the appointment I started vomiting, which is horrific but in this case, gave me some hope that I was "just" sick. DS had been sick for two days with lots of vomiting - but no one else was sick. When we got to the doctor's office I couldn't even walk - I had to be pushed around in a wheelchair and everyone made a fuss over me. They did an ultrasound and Alex appeared to be happily wiggling around and flailing as usual. They gave me some nausea meds and sent me on my way. Now, a few days later, I'm still weak but much better. Everyone in the house but my dad has gotten sick with DW still recovering. I'm still letting her sleep in this morning and it's nearly noon here. So, it was basically just an overly dramatic experience for something viral that went away on its own. But had me feeling worse than I have in many years and was extra alarming because it made us worry about the baby.

Pretty - WOW - so you're measuring 41 weeks (as of last week) but only at 33 weeks? Crazy! Are the measurements based on a singleton pregnancy? I do know that most twins are born before 37 weeks so perhaps you won't have to wait until induction. I totally understand not wanting a holiday baby. I'm worried that I'll be early and have a Halloween baby, one of my nieces is the day after Halloween and hates having it so close. 

Redrock: Hospital adventures for everyone! Glad to hear there was no dilation to go with those contractions and everything seems ok. You're going to be really accustomed to contractions by the time real labor comes around. On a side note, I was happy to hear that Utah was going to keep recognizing the marriages performed before the stay. I remember going through that here in CA and how surreal it was that we might be de facto divorced  by an unseen bureaucracy. 

Fried - Yay for making it to the third trimester! At least having a big baby suggests he's nice and healthy. My donor is very tall too and was 10 lbs, 6 oz at birth. Since the doctors are already convinced I'll have gestational diabetes, I'm sure they'll be checking me constantly once they can see this is going to be a big baby. As for names, I think I would have avoided Alexander if it has been the most popular too - but it's hanging out at #8 , so not too bad. I also feel like it's pretty timeless, which I appreciate in a name. DD's name is ridiculously popular, so we planned to avoid it for that reason, even though we both agreed it was a favorite. But when we went to the adoption matching meeting and found out she had been given the name, it seemed meant to be. We also appreciate that it had a slightly different spelling because of her ethnic background (rather than being one of those trendy bizarre spellings). 

Lea - How did the big ultrasound go? Did you get a beautiful shot of your little one? I hear you on the shoe woes. My feet have been swollen a lot lately, but apparently the one positive of being knocked down by the virus has been the both my feet swelling and blood pressure has gone down. I recently ordered some new shoes and when they arrived too big I figured I should still keep them since my feet are likely to only get worse by the end of pregnancy.

****5****10****diaper.gif****20****25****30****35****40

#39 of 84 Old 05-23-2014, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hi!

I thought I'd rejoin this thread. I'm not pregnant, but have a 1 year old adopted daughter who's the light of my life. We also have her 2.5 year old half sister with us occasionally. Things are really crazy around here when she's here but that's okay. I love having our house full of kids' laughter. My wife is a science educator and I'm a SAHM and a part-time farmer. Congrats to everyone who's currently expecting.

Mother to one dd .
#40 of 84 Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM

So much going on with people here! I'm still using a borrowed computer since I haven't gotten the insurance check to replace mine yet, so my computer/internet time is more sparse than usual, but it sounds like things are just moving right along for everyone, with some scares here and there (so glad everyone is okay).

Thanks for asking about the ultrasound, pookafaye - it went pretty well! The little fetus was moving around SO MUCH that it was hard for the technician (who was wonderfully patient and nice) to get all the measurements and images she needed, so I'm going to have to go back in a couple weeks (we'll try a different time of day and hope for less energy) to try to get better images of the heart and spine. Otherwise, things looked good, which always feels like a huge relief. 

I'm going out of town this weekend to visit my sisters, and I'm excited about spending some time with them. And in a couple weeks my partner and I are going camping - any tips on traveling or camping while pregnant? We'll be car camping near lots of amenities, so I'm not too worried, except about sleeping okay... 

me (34) and dp (39). After 18 months of IVI with a KD and 2 losses excitedly awaiting the arrival of a baby in October 2014! 

#41 of 84 Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 PM

Hi all! I thought I would introduce myself over here for those I don't know. We had our first ultrasound today at 6weeks 7days and got to see our TWINS for the first time! My TTC journey started back in 2011 and this is our first pregnancy. We are beyond thrilled to be here! I've wanted to join this thread for so long!
rs11 likes this.

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our babies, expected January 2015.
#42 of 84 Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 AM

Hopeful--congrats on twins! How exciting! I'll let you know how it goes in a couple weeks having two babies, but all accounts seem to be that it's a lot of work and a lot of fun! How are you feeling?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#43 of 84 Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats to having Twins and welcome over here Hopeful! I wanted to add you to the first post, but it doesn't let me edit it at the moment. I'll try again later.
How are you feeling? Any first trimester symptons kicking in with the double dose of HCG?
#44 of 84 Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Hopeful - I said it over in TTC, but congrats again! Glad to have you join us over here

RS11 - Welcome! I have an adopted daughter too - 3yo, plus a 1 1/2 yo foster son and a baby on the way this Nov.

Lea - I'm glad the ultrasound went mostly well and that things look good Our little one has been really active at most of our ultrasounds so I wonder if we'll run in to the same issue. Good luck with the camping - I've never done it pregnant so I'll be eager to hear how it goes.

Nothing much to report here - I'm exhausted and the two little ones are wearing me out. My kingdom for a nap!

****5****10****15***20****25****30****35*** *40

#45 of 84 Old 06-02-2014, 02:59 PM

Thanks isa, fried and pook for the welcome! I have definitely been feeling the pregnancy symptoms kicking in more and more over the last week or two. The main thing is that I am beyond exhausted all of the time, I think part of this just comes from being pregnant but I know that I am also not eating or drinking as much as I need to. I have days with lots of nausea all day long and days with it just happening at night. A lot of people have suggested different things that they have taken for nausea or exhaustion while pregnant but I am pretty hesitant to try some of the things. I have started taking B6 supplements at the suggestion of the RE, and have been drinking ginger ale and pedialyte to get rehydrated. Other than that, I am at the point where I would rather just suffer through it than do anything that might harm my babies.
On a much better note, we told my parents this weekend. They were thrilled. We gave them each a photo of us holding the positive pregnancy test. It is a picture we took within minutes of seeing the results so our eyes are filled with tears and our smiles are genuine. After they had opened that picture and we celebrated for a minute I handed them another wrapped photo of the ultrasound showing the twins. When my mom got hers we were at a restaurant and she was jumping up and down with excitement. My dad and stepmom cried. It was a very happy day being able to share our news with the people we love.

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our babies, expected January 2015.
#46 of 84 Old 06-02-2014, 03:35 PM

hopeful: Welcome and congrats on twins! How exciting! I love the reactions from your families, how awesome!

isa: things are going okay. the contractions have slowed for the most part. I haven't tracked them at all since the hospital, but they seem to be about every 10-15 minutes for the most part, other times they are more frequent like every 2-3 minutes. They are pretty uncomfortable but definitely not painful yet. I hope you don't get a July 4th birthdate. I was a little worried about that myself. My b-day is Halloween and it was cool, then I hated it, and now it's fun again. I also have hardly any clothes that fit. My belly sticks out all the time, DW thinks it's adorable and I just don't care.

pook: Are you feeling better? That doesn't sound fun at all. We were really excited about that ruling, I just want there to be a final ruling from the Supreme Court, I hate being in limbo land. We've decided we are going to put DW's name on the birth certificate and see what happens. We've certainly felt de facto divorced, it's hard.

lea: Have you gone camping yet? We were going to go if my placenta cooperated, but it didn't. I'm curious to see how it worked out for you. We talked to my step-bro about going when the baby is a few months old. I'm not sure about it, but I sure miss it so I'm keeping it as an option.

AFM: Well the biggest news is that I still have placenta previa as of our last ultrasound at 33 weeks, so we are planning a c-section for around June 19th, which will be 37 weeks. I'm bummed but super excited to meet our little one. I have no idea what to expect for recovery, DW only gets a week off, if that much. She is feeling pretty overwhelmed with the new job. I have lots of family and friends to help out if we need it though. My boss totally backpedaled on letting me work from home, and is cutting my hours starting on Oct 1st. I'm kind of glad about it though, I get more time with baby and more time to focus on my art career.

#47 of 84 Old 06-03-2014, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hopeful, oh that constant exhaustion, so not fun. Unless you're already at a very low weight, I wouldn't worry too much about the eating, but try to stay hydrated. Your blood volume has to grow a lot these days to nourish your little one. I love your description of the grandparents reaction, wonderful that they are so supportive and happy. Are your babes the first grandchildren in the family?

Redrock, what a bummer that it didn't move. But it seems like a big positive that you know for sure when it will happen. I am fairly scared of going to 42 weeks, lots of people in my family have, and those last weeks and days must feel like eternity. I think your wife's one week will usually be enough for you to be fairly mobile again. I had to share a hospital room with a CS mom in April and she was able to take a shower and walk for a bit after 2 days and to leave the hospital after 4. She kept saying that all the hormones and the new baby make this surgery much easier than others.

AFM - I feel huge and the heat that's starting is annoying. The next couple of days I am off work, using up my vacation days before starting maternity leave, so that's a plus. Only 6 days of work left. We started getting the baby room ready, painting and spending lots at Ikea. I also had my first session of the 8 week birthing class at the midwife co-op yesterday. Imagine how thrilled I was to find out that by chance out of the 10 pregnant moms there I was paired up with another lesbian mom-to-be for the introduction round. What are the chances of having another gay couple in the group. Makes me so happy for DW that she won't be the only non-male during the sessions of the class that are with the partners.

#48 of 84 Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Hopeful--that's such a sweet way to make the announcement! The tiredness is HARD. You might try an iron supplement if you think there's more too it than just first trimester stuff--it doesn't hurt and can make you feel a lot better if you're anemic at all. Mostly, though, you just have to kind of wait that part out.

Redrock--is it legal to cut your hours because you're having a baby? Sounds jerky, at any rate. June 19th is so soon! I've been having chats with the boys about good birthdays, and the 18th is the first one I want them to seriously consider, so if they are good listeners we might have them around the same time! We waited on camping until DD was 15 months or so and she LOVED it. Didn't even walk into the fire or anything. I think with younger babies it would be just as easy--the only hard part is keeping things clean, but if you're just car camping that's no problem. We also had some mild worry about whether she'd sleep by herself in the tent without us there, or if we'd have to go to bed at 8. She was fine, and we got to hang out by the fire with our friends. If they're still young enough to sleep wherever they are, it would be even easier.

Fried--that's nice about being on leave so soon. How long do you get to stay off with the baby?

AFM--getting closer. We have lots of construction stuff to do on the house this weekend, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and am really (REALLY) hoping that by Sunday I'll be able to at least set up the babies' room, even if there are still little things on the landing that need to be addressed. Just having their clothes put away and curtains up will make me feel better. I'd really like them to stay put until after next weekend, though. We have some good friends coming to town next weekend who don't visit often, and although I'm sure they'd love to meet brand new babies, it would be more pleasant for me to see them not in a hospital setting.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#49 of 84 Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, prettyisa, you're cutting it close with the construction and your birth. I would be a nervous wreck by now, if I were in your position. Fingers crossed, you get it all done in the next two days. How are you feeling with twins so far along? Have you packed a hospital bag? Any suggestions on stuff besides clothing that might make a trip to the hospital more pleasant?

AFM, I will stay home on maternity protection for 6 weeks prior and 8 weeks after birth and then we get another year of patental leave. That one is at 65% of our normal pay and we can split it any way we want. I'll take the first half until end of March and then DW stays home until end of September next year when he gets started in childcare. Our reasoning was that at 8 months he should be able to go without nursing for the 6 1/2 to 7 hours I am away from home.
We had our third big ultrasound today, at 31+2. boy weighed in at a whopping 4,5lbs (the average for his gestational age would be 3,3lbs). He still has long limbs and a huge round head and *drumroll* he is still in a good vertex position. He has been for a while and they think he'll most probably stay that way. I feel relieved, because I rather wouldn't want to risk a breech birth with a baby with such a big head. He was very cute on the ultrasound today, yawning, sticking his tongue out and waving his little hand. Our mommy hormones are certain that he's the cutest little boy ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (196.3 KB, 13 views)
hopeful22 likes this.

#50 of 84 Old 06-09-2014, 08:58 AM

Fried--nervous wreck is a pretty good summation of our whole family at the moment. It doesn't help that on Friday DD got diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth disease, which basically means she has little blisters in all of those places and generally feels miserable, though that's all it does, so it's a pretty mild illness, and apparently adults don't usually get it. The room is coming along, though it's always slower than we hope. But it has a floor and a light and paint on the walls and basically looks finished enough that we could leave it if we had to, so that's good! We'll do more on it tomorrow to try to get it a little further along.

That's such a great leave! We're working out something where the boys will go to daycare part time once I'm back at work (12 weeks after they arrive) so DP can spend some quality time with them but also keep working. Not sure the details, but I think it'll be school 2 days a week, and mama 3.

Hospital bag! I say overpack--no reason not to, and it's better to have the things you want than not. Music is the main thing (and something to play it on) that made a difference for us last time. Slippers and a robe are great. Snacks! Especially for your DP, but some for you, too. Electronics to play on (you'll want to update your social media, email people, read the internet, etc. Babies are awesome, but not that fascinating for long stretches when they're really little and you're really tired), cameras with chargers. I think those are the main things. The other suggestion I have is that if the hospital offers newborn photography (most of the ones here seem to, but I don't know if it's an American thing), take them up on it. It's so much easier to just have a few pictures in the hospital room (they're all close up, so you don't see where they are being taken) than to try to arrange for it afterwards, and it's nice to have pictures to put in your announcements and have for later.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#51 of 84 Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Isa: Well they are cutting my house because we lost some funding, I'm sure it's related to the baby but who really knows. It is pretty jerky so is suggesting I can work from home and then saying I can't. I'm thinking of applying for other jobs while I'm on maternity leave. We'll see. Sorry to hear about the HFM, that sounds awful. How long does it usually last? (I have so much to learn)

fried: LUcky that you got matched up with another lesbian couple. While we know quite a few lesbian (and gay) parents, I have yet to meet any outside of the queer world. Only a couple more days of work for you huh, that's awesome. These last few weeks have been rough workwise for me. Too much sitting and I'm sooo tired and exhausted all the time. I'm so jealous of your paternity leave. I really hope the U.S. figures it out one day.

AFM: We have most of our baby prep done now. The diapers are prepped, clothes are washed, house and car cleaned, car seat installed. I finally started on freezer meals last night so it's going to be a busy week of cooking and mural painting. We have an appt with the OB today for one last placenta check, to go over the birth plan and schedule the caesarean.

How's everyone else? Hopeful? Lea? Pook? Jam? Anyone else I missed?

I'm excited for all the new babies coming soon!

Oh here's a picture of the mural I'm working on, still has a ways to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4416 (1024x768).jpg (451.2 KB, 14 views)

#52 of 84 Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 PM

Okay – finally taking a little time to catch up!

Hopeful - so excited to have you on this thread! And to hear about your twins! I hope you’re feeling a little better and taking care of yourself and are able to eat regularly, which may help stave off the nausea a bit.

Pookafaye – hope you’re getting to sneak in some naps in the midst of parenting two other little ones and that your energy level is starting to go up a little bit. I’ve found that just in the last couple weeks I’m able to stay up until 11 PM (I know, I’m living on the wild side) rather than crashing at 9 or 10 PM. This makes DP very happy, as she’s a night owl and really doesn’t like it when I go to sleep early.

Fried – I’m so jealous of the time-off you get! You must be almost done with work now! Does it feel strange to be preparing to take that much time off? I hope the birthing class is a good one! We signed up for one that won’t start for a few weeks, and I worry about what the other couples in the class will be like and whether DP and I will feel like outsiders at all.

Isa – I can’t believe how close you are to the arrival of your little ones- ! I hope they hold out until after your friends’ visit! I’m so impressed by how much work you got done on your house – we’ll be lucky if we manage to get enough furniture out of our guest-room/office to fit a crib. I love the hospital bag list – I honestly wouldn’t have thought of most of those things. Hope the hand, foot and mouth disease clears up quickly – no fun at all.

Redrock –I really like the mural! And I can’t believe how much you have prepped! I’m so far away from even being able to think about doing all those things. Sorry to hear how shady your workplace is being – looking for other jobs while you’re off can’t hurt – I find that just the right new opportunity often presents itself just when it is the right time.

AFM - we got back from our camping trip last night, and I’m exhausted. On one hand, it was so nice – we were on the Oregon Coast right by the beach and it was beautiful and relaxing just to be away from everything. We put some extra padding down in the tent, but my back and hips did not handle sleeping on the ground very well. I’m glad we went, but if we go again this summer, I’m going to have to plan a little differently. It might include an air mattress. And a site right next to the bathroom. There were TONS of families there with young kids, though, and it was fun to see them all and picture camping with a little one next year.

Otherwise, I’m doing well and feeling good! We had another ultrasound last week to get the images they couldn’t get at the first anatomy scan, and haven’t gotten the report from the midwife yet, but we’re hoping that means everything looks okay. A fact that continues to be true: This fetus does not sit still for anyone. Our next midwife appointment is next week – I keep thinking I should be asking more questions or talking to her about my symptoms more, but when I’m there I can’t think of anything to ask her. Anything any of you wish you had asked your doctor/midwife about or talked about earlier on?

#53 of 84 Old 06-14-2014, 11:36 AM

sorry I've been so MIA lately all, busy trying to get into a routine and getting my DVT and blood levels under control.

Welcome RS & Hopeful, great you've joined, congrats on the adopted daughter and the twins - wow!

How are all your pregnant peeps doing? I hope the summer isn't playing havoc too badly

I'll try to catch up later with what everyone's doing but in the meantime sending some summer love!

Noah's now 2 months old which is unbelievable, and is warming our hearts every day Here he is with all the toys he was given.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noahrk s.jpg (481.3 KB, 15 views)
pokeyac, rs11 and friederike like this.

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

Second IVF successful, he's here!!!!

DS born 12/4/2012, weight 6lb11 babyboy.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

#54 of 84 Old 06-16-2014, 06:49 AM

Redrock--HFM--all over! It lasts 3-7 days once it shows up and basically just leaves the kid feverish, cranky, and covered in little blisters, but nothing worse than that. I feel awful, though, because one of our friends volunteered to watch her while she was home with it (knowing what it was) and ended up catching it. We aren't sure if it's because she's half African, so doesn't have full immunity, or just bad luck. I'm glad you've got things ready--and even more glad that you get a little extra time and a chance to try birth more along the lines of what you had originally wanted!

Farmes--you are a trooper. Camping sounds like hell at the moment (well, the sleeping on the ground part, anyway). We took DD camping when she was about 15 months old and she loved it! I would have gone sooner but things didn't align--hopefully next summer we'll be able to take all of them to the woods! It's good to keep a list of questions so you don't forget. I bring DP, who remembers everything, but generally there's not all that much to know unless something is worrying you. The second tri is kind of dull like that--as long as everything is fine, everything is fine, you know?

Liz--what a little sweetie! I hope you are doing ok healthwise--it's got to be so much to handle that on top of getting used to parenting!

AFM--these kids can come any time they want. Really. Any time. I do have a respectful request for no obnoxious water-breaking at work scenes, but other than that I am done. Stick a fork in me. We have to set up their room a little more, and I'm sure there are other projects I could be working on but I'm sick of being pregnant and huge. Alas, I still have 1 1/2 weeks before induction, and I can't even imagine trying to get the 3 1/2 to full term. I'll be fine, but increasingly whiny, I'm sure!

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#55 of 84 Old 06-17-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Argh, so much to catch up. Sorry that it's been so quiet, I was either sleeping away a heat wave (no AC) or trying to get everything finished at work.

Prettyisa - glad to hear the disease is over. My coworker's 23 month old son had it two weeks ago, she said it led to a lot of miserable, all day whining on her boys part. She was glad to come back to the office. I can only imagine how you're keeping up with a twin pregnancy, a sick older kid, the reconstruction and work. Just a couple of days though. Sending you easy delivery vibes.

Redrock - that mural is awesome! How was your appointment? Do you know when you will be meeting your babe?

Leah - great to hear you are doing well. I also loved the second trimester. An active fetus is good, though it might get a bit annoying later on. My little kiddo keeps me awake for several hours every night hiccupping and kicking. But it feels so good to know he is alive and well. About your question - I think the only thing I remember would be talking more in depth about how to prepare for birth, like different types of classes, Yoga, sports, meditation and such. I feel that it is useful to start those in the second trimester to be in good shape later on. For me, finding the right kind of Yoga class has helped a lot with my almost chronic back pain.

Lizbian - sorry to hear you're still struggling physically, but oh my, what a cute picture. I hope your nursery has enough space to store all those gifts. Noah is so precious!

AFM - nothing to tell really. Can't complain. I am feeling great, as long as it doesn't get too hot. I love doing all the birth prep, with and without DW (Yoga, pregnancy swim class, walking, birthing class, a psychological prep class etc.). It's great to meet other people there who are in the same situation (IVF moms, other gay parents or simply women in the same stages of pregnancy) and talk about things in person, so far I've only ever done this online. The room is ready, I have washed most of the things that need washing, including our diapers. I can't resist taking them out and looking at them all the time. Diapers are just so cute.
Our midwife and I have talked in depth about how we want things to go after birth. We still need to write a birth plan and register at the hospital, visit the adoption office about the second-parent-adoption, write up wills and get life insurance for DW, but I'll do that in early July when I am off work.

#56 of 84 Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Oh my goodness I have so much to catch up on! I can’t believe how long it has been!

Fried – You are so close now! How exciting that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak J What a cute picture, I absolutely love getting an ultrasound and getting to see our little guy! And what great leave!

Pretty – I don’t know how are you are doing it! Like others have said, not only are you dealing with the end of a twin pregnancy, a sick toddler, and remodeling! You deserve a medal ha That’s for the tips on the hospital bag, I will have to remember all that in a few months when I am getting closer!

Redrock – Telling the families was great! I will give more details in my long catch up below J Sorry to hear about your recent hospital trip, that had to be scary! What a great mural, you’re very talented!

Pook – Oh my goodness, so many hospital trips going on, how scary! Hope things are better now?

RS – Welcome!

Lea – Glad to hear your scan went well! Isn’t it a great feeling when you can leave those appointments and know everything is a-okay! I love it! I am glad your trip with your sisters went well and wow camping! You’re a trooper! Ha I see that the C section was to be around the 19th, that’s in a couple days, how are you feeling? Ready? I am glad you asked others their opinion on questions early on because I often think the same thing when I leave there with asking no questions ha

Hopeful – Welcome! And congrats on the twins! How exciting! How are you feeling? That sounds like such a fun way to announce your pregnancy! Isn’t that fun?

Liz – What an adorable picture! Thanks for sharing! Sorry you’re still having to battle health issues but hope life otherwise has been treating you well as a new mommy!

AFM – Wow where do I even start! So much has happened and I haven’t had a chance to update everyone! Well I am now 18 weeks along and can’t believe that I almost half way there already! We have had a few ultrasounds in the past couple months and our little boy is still and boy J and very, very active. I haven’t felt him at all yet but have also learned that the placenta is between him and my skin so that is helping to cushion the kids and arm flails! Over mother’s day weekend we announced our pregnancy to everyone which was a lot of fun. Prior to then, only our parents and siblings knew. The extra fun part was that no one knew that we already knew he sex. We took some pictures and made a collage as our pregnancy announcement so as we went from house to house on DWs side we were able to just hand them and watch as people got excited and figured out what that meant! Some knew we had suffered a previous loss and some had no idea that we were even trying. We also got each mom a happy mothers day cake but what they didn’t know was that the inside was blue frosting to reveal that we were having a boy. We told DW’s parents what was inside and they promptly cut into the cake without hesitation. We were able to have a little more fun with my side of the family because they were all getting together for mothers day brunch. While there I was able to announce that I was also expecting (my sister had announced a few weeks prior) and most were excited but I think overall everyone was shocked that I too was expecting and only 7 days behind. We then explained what the cake meant and they took cut into it quickly. It was a lot of fun and a memory we will always have. Side note: my sister found out today that she is also having a boy so now we will have 2 little boy cousins that will hopefully be best buds growing up. I finally announced at work so it is all out in the open and everyone is starting to freak out on who is going to cover for me while I am out on leave, currently I have no backups and am a 1 person team. My belly has definitely started to round out now but thankfully that is the only place so far J Other than that things are going well. I am feeling great and am loving my growing baby bump. Work has been absolutely stressful which isn’t fun and I am afraid I am never going to catch up but it is what it is. We have our next scan on July 1st so until then we are just going to enjoy our summer. Oh and I almost forgot to mention! DW and I legally got married last weekend! It is so great to know we now have all the same rights as other married couples out there Gotta love the state of IL!

How is everyone else doing!?
pokeyac and friederike like this.

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25***30****35* ***40
#57 of 84 Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

You almost forgot? Geez, those newlyweds - so many congratulations to you and your wife on getting married, Jam!!!
Did you have a party or was it just you and your wife?

Congrats on almost being at the half way mark. We first felt our little guy at 19+5 weeks, also with an anterior placenta, so I am positive you're very close to the first kicks. I love your mother's day cake announcement, I hope you took lots of pictures for your photo album, it's such a sweet memory.

#58 of 84 Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Lea--wrong name, same sentiment!

Fried--wow, you are so busy! I'm glad it's all fun-busy, though! And I finally washed the diapers last night--they are so tiny. I can't even think about it. We got given a ton of clothes over the weekend that are all sorted now by size and I can't believe how little the newborn stuff is, especially the pants! I think with DD we went straight to the next size up because she was kind of big and the cloth diaper butt made the newborn sizes too small, so we'll see if we even use them, but it's hard to believe that everyone starts off so tiny!

Jam--Any time! And if you need help with anything once he's here, let me know that, too. Glad your boy is still a boy--we keep having them check, which is mostly a joke now, but for a while there the u/s techs were seeing things that we weren't, if you know what I mean. DP's cousins (brother and sister) had their youngest daughters on the same day! There was a little induction/c-section engineering that went into it on their ends, but it's really fun to see their monthly pictures get updated at the same time! Maybe you'll end up with similar timing and they can have a shared birthday! My cousin was born on my 2nd b-day and we still get a kick out of it. Oh! And congrats on the marriage!

AFM--things are starting to look more finished. I think we just need to put up blinds and curtains and get bins for all of the clothes and the boys' room will be ready! The bins are supposed to be delivered today, so hopefully tonight I'll get all of that done and can stop thinking about it.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#59 of 84 Old 06-18-2014, 12:17 PM

Hey folks - sorry to disappear/lurk for a while. Not much new was going on here until this week. We had our anatomy scan ultrasound this week - it was great to get a peak at Alex again as well as here that everything looks good. Our doctor wasn't happy with the clarity of some of the pictures though so we'll have a repeat scan in 2 weeks. Alex was snoozing and couldn't be bothered to move in to a better position for some of the pictures so we did the best we could. Apparently, he has been snuggled up to the placenta like a pillow babie's first woobie I guess.

In additional, amazing news - we think things are heading towards adopting DFS! It's going to be a long process and it could be made longer by extended family who could make a claim but it's unlikely that the court would want to move him from our home. He's been with us 17 months so far and he'll be 2 1/2 to 3 before everything is finalized. We were so excited because we had been convinced that silence from the social worker meant that the case was going to be dragged out longer. Looks like we'll have 3 kids - time to get that minivan!

Pretty - Only about a week to go at max, huh? That's incredible! I understand you're readiness to be done - but oh how the work will only begin when the arrive! I'm seriously bloated and swollen too and not quite halfway there so I can only imagine what it will be like at the finish line. Glad to hear your baby prep projects are wrapping up. Perhaps the boys didn't want to make an appearance until everything was just right for them

Jam - Married?! Yay! Congratulations And what a fun way to share your happy baby news with everyone on Mother's Day - that's just fantastic - congratulations again! We both have active little guys, eh? Oh the fun ahead of us! I've had some fluttering that I think is feeling him, but not too much. I'm only a week ahead of you though.

Fried - You really sound like you have it all together, what with your preparations done and all of the prenatal classes you're taking and people you're meeting. I'm a bit jealous You're getting so close too - that's so exciting and I can't wait to see pictures of him in the flesh - I loved your 3d scan pic though Let us know how birth of such a big baby goes - I have several reasons to believe I'll be having a big one too - eek!

Liz - Noah is such a cutie - thank you for sharing the picture. I'm glad things are going well excepting the DVT and such. The first few months are really all consuming - it's hard to believe I've done it 5 times already. The first one is the hardest though.

Lea - I'm a night owl, and I really shouldn't be. DD in particular is a morning person so there's no sleeping in to be had and I'm still desperately trying to get both kids on a similar nap schedule so I get a kid-free window. Have you heard back about the 2nd anatomy scan yet? I have to go back in for a second too, but it was because Alex wouldn't move away from his placenta-woobie and give us different views I also feel like I should have more questions - but I've been fairly laid back about this whole process. I'm glad to hear you're feeling great though

Redrock - Yes, I'm feeling better in the 2nd trimester, but I have new aches to cope with. I think pregnancy isn't my thing - not like it is my sister's who adores being pregnant. I'm glad you're feeling prepared but sorry to hear about the placenta previa and work madness. At least you've got a birthdate to look forward to I'll cross my fingers that you guys get lots of support from the community - the first weeks are really intense. I love your mural too - it's very Utah (and a little New Mexico too).

Hopeful - How are things with you?

****5****10****15***20****25****30****35*** *40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7768 - Version 2.JPG (608.5 KB, 7 views)
friederike likes this.

Last edited by pookafaye; 06-18-2014 at 01:14 PM.
#60 of 84 Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Fried – We actually got a civil union license in 2012 and that is when we had our big ceremony and reception and the date we celebrate. On June 1st Marriage became legal in the state of Illinois so we were able to covert or upgrade our civil union license to a marriage license so it was more of a legality thing we had to do J The great part was that we were able to keep out civil union date so our marriage license reads as if we have been married since 2012! I am hoping that I am very close to feeling some movement in there! How did you know, is it one of those things that you just know? Ha I have heard people before say they thought they felt it but the doctor said it was probably just gas, etc ha We were able to take lots of pictures and eve video of the reveal so it’s great that we will always have those memories J

Pretty – Thanks for the offer! It is great to know someone from this viral world is actually very close to me in the real world! Hopefully our boys can get to know each other soon J

Pook –WHAT GREAT NEWS! You are going to be very busy but in such a great way! We have our anatomy scan in a couple weeks but from the sound of it, our active boy may also cause some issues haha Or maybe he will be the opposite that day and cause problems like your little Alex! Oh how they are already ruling our lives and they’re not even here yet!

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25***30****35* ***40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page