Queer Conceptions May - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#31 of 47 Old 05-21-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Shan- Welcome! It's been a little quiet around here lately, so I'm sorry your questions have not been answered. I'd love to know more about your family. Will this be your first? How did you find your kd? It sounds like you should be ovulating any day now, did it all work out to start this cycle?

Mama- How are you and DP doing after the transfer? Will you be testing soon?

Sandie- Any news? My fingers are still crossed for you and that perfect timing.

MrsSx2- I am so sorry to hear about your BFN. FWIW, I have never used the advanced smiley OPK's that show positives on multiple days. My RE's office told me to stay away from them because they can make timing confusing. They suggest using the regular Clearblue smiley ones. I am not sure what your RE's office thinks of them but it might be worth it to ask, since you are only doing one insem a month. My fingers are crossed for you for next month.

Fille- Sorry about AF showing up. :irked That always sucks.

Rs- Wow you have been through a lot! I think fried has really great advice about getting advice from lots of different professionals and having them all work together. I don't know enough to say if you could get pregnant or not with having PCOS and no thyroid, but if it were me and knowing how much I want to experience pregnancy, I would do whatever I could to make that happen. But that is a really personal decision and I don't think it is one that is going to come easily for you. It is wonderful that they were able to figure out the cause of your panic attacks and previous miscarriages. With that issue resolved, maybe it'll be easier for you this time around if you do decide to try again.

twoisbetter- Welcome! I think you are getting the hang of this timing thing, which is great to do before you have actual tries. I have read that women usually ovulate between 24-48 hours past positive OPK, and that younger women typically ovulate closer to the 48 hour side of things. I also think that frozen sperm can live longer than 24 hours, but I am not sure of the numbers on that at the moment. Stephanie Brill's book is really wonderful. I read it in the beginning and it gave me so much useful information regarding timing. I would second what Pokey said, use more signs than just OPK and temp. I also checked my CM and cervical position and texture and that told me a lot. I have a very narrow window of when my cervix is at it's softest, indicating to me when I was ovulating. Fertility Friend is a wonderful website and app that can help you track everything. Hopefully you will be like me and have regular cycles, making timing much easier. Good luck!

AFM: I realized that I didn't share my beta results. I formed a post but must have not submitted it. At 12dpo it was 180 and at 14 dpo it was 482. A doubling time of 31.67 hours. From what I've read those seem like great numbers! My TSH is 1.97, and the RE says that is good. In other fabulous news, we only have to wait 8 more days before our first ultrasound!! We will get to see the fetus on the 29th and I am so excited! DP is convinced there is more than one in there, in fact he thinks there are three. :dizzy I will be happy with just one healthy little fetus. :love

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our babies, expected January 2015.
#32 of 47 Old 05-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Dang, thanks for all the input!  

Everyone said get the book, but it's not in a single library in my whole state (can you imagine that, no lesbian conception book at the public library in Delaware, ha), and it's $69 on both Amazon and Ebay.  So it doesn't look like it's happening for me.  However, those webinars that Pokey suggested look fantastic and I'm super psyched to check them out.  Also, I check CM and position, and am pretty comfortable doing those as well.  

Fried:  I imagine that an ultrasound would be expensive out of pocket, if you're comfortable answering, about how much did you pay?  And do you really only have to do it once?  I never even thought of it!  I think we're going to do IUIs because the chances of it working are higher.....right?  :D  

Plus, Fertility Friend is great, been charting there for the year.  I noticed after the first 6 months or so that I have a short luteal phase, only 7-9 days.  I did some research and started taking Vitex about 5 months ago, and it started working on the 3rd month, brought me up to 12 days!  

#33 of 47 Old 05-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
$69! Dang! They are supposed to be coming out with a new edition, but I don't know when. I got mine from the library. Are there any queer midwives or sperm banks or something in your area who might have a copy you can borrow?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#34 of 47 Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 PM

I totally know a lesbian who USED to be a midwife!  I emailed her already.  Thanks for the idea!

#35 of 47 Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 PM

So I been taking the ovulation test and I think I either started to late or I'm going to ovulate tomorrow.
Does the LH surge happen on the day of ovulation? I have the fertility friend app and been documenting my periods and cervical clouds etc. I have not taken the basal body temp but I ordered a basal thermometer in the mail today so I can start charting that as well. If I ovulate tomorrow I still might b able to inseminate. If not I will be starting next month.
I am 33 years old and my partner is 35 and I have a 11 soon to b 12 year old son from a previous relationship. (He was conceived naturally the relationship being a man). And my partner and I have been talking and we want another child. I would love a girl but would b happy with a healthy baby:)
I have seen my doctor and taken all the genetic screening and testing available for mothers planning on getting pregnant (guess that is an advantage to mothers already showing up pregnant).
We r very excited to start this journey of our lives
I have only told close friends. I haven't even told family as of yet. I just want to make sure that I can get pregnant before getting everyone's hopes up. I'm really kind of nervous but excited at the same time:)
#36 of 47 Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post

Fried:  I imagine that an ultrasound would be expensive out of pocket, if you're comfortable answering, about how much did you pay?  And do you really only have to do it once?  I never even thought of it!  I think we're going to do IUIs because the chances of it working are higher.....right?  orngbiggrin.gif  
I have no clue what prices might be in your area, it seems to vary so much. Where I live, an ultrasound was 35$. We did one US to time the trigger (10$) and another to check the follicle at IUI. Since our sperm came at 700-900$ we invested in those every try to make sure not to mess up timing and waste that good stuff.
Sucess statistics are 4-5% for IVI with frozen, about 15% for IUI. There seems to be only a 1% increase with double IUIs statistically, however some people on this boards have had success with those.

#37 of 47 Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hopeful: Congratulations! For your sake, I hope there's only one in there. I think I would be in a corner crying if I was having triplets.

Shan: Welcome! I hope you catch quickly!

Two: Check with your insurance company (or have your doctor do so). In my state, ultrasounds are considered diagnostic, which means they are covered under insurance.

Afm: Thanks for all the advice! My appointment with the OB/GYN was this morning. We did the ultrasound to check on my PCOS and I got the results of my bloodwork. Everything looks good, and she says there is NO reason I should not be able to conceive and have a healthy pregnancy with the thyroid taken care of the PCOS under control. She did recommend doing it under monitoring since the chance of multiples is so much higher with PCOS.

I think we'll try it again. I think we can get by without investing so much emotion and stress into it since we have the one. It will either work or not. So, here's the plan. I'm going to try and lose the 15 pounds I need to get it off over the summer and then chart my cycles in the fall, with a goal to start TTC after the first of the year. That will put baby T at 2.5 (at least) when the new one is born, so we probably won't have two in diapers, and I won't yet be 32 when we start trying, so my eggs should still be good. How does that sound?

Mother to one dd .
#38 of 47 Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
shan-Hopeful was talking about timing of positive OPK's and ovulation up above. The LH surge happens before ovulation. When you get the positive OPK, you have the surge so you might ovulate 24-36 hours later or even less. Are you using a known donor? If you are, you will want to inseminate before you O because you want the sperm there ready and waiting when the egg pops out. It takes a while for the swimmers to reach the egg and the egg is only good for 24 hours or less, probably less. If you can do more than 1 insem you might want to do one the same day you get your positive OPK and then one the next day too.

rs11-Sounds like an excellent plan!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#39 of 47 Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi friends. Just a quickie to let you know that DW got a BFP but then miscarried a few days later

This is her second miscarriage and we are in the process of reevaluating things. We have three five day blasts left, and will probably transfer them into me. I'lm going to take a break from the forum for about a month, but will check in again when I'm in better spirits.

Good luck to all of you!
#40 of 47 Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I am somewhat surprised to be trying another IVF cycle right now. I had really bad OHSS last time, and after going to the hospital by ambulance and all the stress, I didn't think I"d be trying to get pregnant again. But the desire to have a baby is really strong so we are back at it.

I am having a frozen embryo transfer tomorrow. Unfortunately, my TSH is higher than the clinic wants it (4.5). So I feel especially crazy proceeding in less the optimal conditions. So yes I am here and yes I am crazy.
#41 of 47 Old 05-29-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Splashing- good luck with your transfer tomorrow. Sometimes less then ideal conditions can have the best surprises.

Mama- so sorry to hear about the miscarriage. My thoughts are with you both.

Afm- we had our first ultrasound at 6 weeks 7 days today and saw our two babies! We are thrilled. I think it was one of the happiest moments of my life. They both looked great and had strong heartbeats. The RE said we are 90% out of the woods so I think I am ready to graduate but I will keep following along and cheering for all of you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (163.7 KB, 4 views)

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our babies, expected January 2015.
#42 of 47 Old 05-29-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Who would like to have some thread keepers luck and be thread keeper for June?

#43 of 47 Old 05-30-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Mama -I am so sorry about your miscarriage. *hugs*
Splash -Good luck!

Hopeful -Twins? Congratulations! Good luck.

Mother to one dd .
#44 of 47 Old 05-30-2014, 03:08 PM

Mama - So sorry to hear about the early miscarriage. I hope you're ready to heal and continue the process soon

Hopeful - Twins?! Wow, congratulations! Still so very excited for you

Welcome to all of the newbies, too!

****5****10****15***20****25****30****35*** *40

#45 of 47 Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 PM

Hopeful, I'll be the June threadkeeper. Congrats on the twins!

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#46 of 47 Old 05-31-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for being thread keeper Fille.

And thanks for the well wishes Fille, RS, and Pook.

I hope June brings lots of sticky babies for you all.

#47 of 47 Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Come on over to the new June thread, here!

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page