Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting in August, September, and October - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

#1 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting in August, September, and October

Welcome Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting folks to a great end of summer and fall 2014.

If you want to be added, just post in bold with your due date. Also, if you have recently had your babe(s), please chime in with the name and birth date in bold. If your information is not correct or has changed, please also post in bold so that I can get it corrected!!

Pregnant - Due Dates

July
Sevie EDD 7/13/14

October
lea2012 EDD 10/13/14
lblueridgemama EDD 10/22/14

November
pookafaye EDD 11/11/14
jam51212 EDD 11/19/14

January
hopeful22 EDD 1/15/15

March
onemommyonemama EDD 3/30/15

Graduates
agrex, Matilda Jayne 9/16/14
Friederike, Nils 8/11/14
Prettyisa, Everett Marion & Theodore Lewis 6/30/14
Redrock, Matthijs Orion 6/19/14
Lizbian, Noah born 4/12/14
BreadandCoffee, girl born 2/22/14
Gamitzer, Benjamin born 2/17/14

Sotohana, Olivia born 11/16/2013
Baby.fatty, Freddie born 11/30/2013
Escher, girl, born 11/25/2013
AMT1015, Emmitt, born 11/18/2013
Granite, boy, born 11/14//2013
Sphinxy, boy, born 10/10/2013
MrsandMrs & Bigfoot, twin boys (O & M), born 8/13/13
Esenbee, twin boys, born 8/11/13
Carmen358, London, born 7/26/13
Outdoorsy, baby boy, born 7/3/13
erinTNgirl, Saxon Nash, born 6/28/13
Tourneymama, Anakin, born 6/27/13
PokeyAC, Charlie, born 6/26/13
CocoBird, Amadora Charlotte, born 6/21/13
MaxK, Aiden, born 6/18/13
easttowest, Nathaniel, born 6/18/13
Cordelia15, baby girl, born 6/11/13
wishin'&hopin', baby boy, born 5/12/13
SplashingPuddle, baby girl, born 5/2/13
KnittingTigers, Theron River & Jane Sofia, born 4/27/13
lisedea, Sawyer, Elliott, & Miles, born 3/24/13
Cananny, August, Gage & Finn, born 2/24/13

KateAdele, baby girl, born 12/12
Nosreves, Elio Sol, 12/5/12 - 12/6/12
MidwifeStephPDX, Lucie Rain, born 10/25/12
Planet, Wylie Blue, born 9/9/12
DesertSunsets, Everleigh Jane, born 9/1/12
dandylez, Adair Seamus, born 6/28/12
KSDoulaMama, surro-babe, born 6/27/12
SwtRainbowBrite, Riley Sophia, born 6/25/12
PleasantlyFurious, Zoe Aurora, born 6/22/12
SmilingSara & Seraf, Soren Dare, born 5/2/12
PrettyIsa, Edith Josephine, born 4/18/12
Ad Astra, boy/girl twins, born 4/11/12
Onemommyonemama, Sage S., born 3/21/12
Qmama42, baby girl, born 1/18/12
Indigo, baby girl A, born 1/8/12

CrystalPerez, Cohen Anthony, born 12/12/11
glassesgirlnj, Annamaria Sigyn Estelle, born 11/28/11
Mami2mami, Layla Janae, born 11/22/11
DAWNMP1, Raya Sylvan, born 11/10/11
2ezforyou, Jagger Stone, born 11/2/11
Seraf & SmilingSara, Shay Brock, born 11/1/11
Escher, baby boy, born 10/24/11
Julietea, Rowan Kathryn, born 10/16/11
Starling&Diesel, Hawksley Solace, born 10/2/11
AmyPDX, Alexander Cole, born 8/7/11
AmandaHope, Lilah Nyx, born 7/24/11
Pigirl, baby boy, born 7/22/11
Mizyellow, Harrison, born 7/20/11
Painefaria, Keegan, born 5/23/11
Cejae, Emmerson & Parker, born 5/22/11
Imogenlily, Soloman Dov, born 5/3/11
2HappyMamas, baby, born 4/16/11
Bttrflygypsy, Elliot Graham, born 4/15/11
LibraryLady, Alice Meredith, born 4/8/11
Wehrli & jenmostoften, Silas Scott, born 4/4/11
Gumshoegirl007, Addison Alexis Réal, born 3/24/11
Beastie, Esther, born 3/13/11
Burg, Reed Kylie, born 2/05/11
Korey, baby girl T, born 1/30/11
Coco99, Chloe & Charlie, born 1/30/11
Abeecharmer, twin girls, born 1/10/11

Recovering from Losses, Held in Our Hearts

MaxK
NZmumof2
TineyDreams
nosreves
Kgulbransen
Fivegrandbaby
Jam51212
Sandiegongp

me (34) and dp (39). After 18 months of IVI with a KD and 2 losses excitedly awaiting the arrival of a baby in October 2014! 

****5****10****15****20****25****
30****35***40

Last edited by lea2012; Today at 07:43 AM.
#2 of 37 Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oh my goodness, where has the time gone! Thanks for the shiny new thread Lea!

I don't know the last time I updated and it seems like so much has happened! Congrats to Pretty on your beautiful boys, I hope everything is going well!

Not a whole lot to report here, we're almost 25 weeks already and I cannot believe it! We had a little bit of a scare a few weeks back when I started spotting but the doctor wasn't concerned and we got a whole lot of checks done and everything seems to be going fine. I have been feeling our little man more and more which is amazing! We've started to get the nursery ready and things are starting to get really real and I cannot wait! Hope to catch up with everyone soon and stay more in touch! Hope all is well with everyone else out there!

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25***30****35* ***40
#3 of 37 Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Jam - glad to hear things are going well and that the spotting wasn't anything to worry about! I was so happy once I started feeling movement regularly - it is amazing!

We're starting our childbirth class tonight. I'm looking forward to it, but also nervous about it. We know one couple who will be in the class - we don't know them well, but they live in our neighborhood, so that might be nice. I hope the class will help me with the general feelings and fears I'm having right now that I have no idea what I'm doing...weird that even though it has been nearly 2 years since we started trying and even longer since I started charting, and this is the third time we've travelled down the pregnancy path, now that we're getting down to the last 10 weeks of this finally viable pregnancy suddenly I'm like, "What are we getting ourselves into?" Overall I am excited and I don't actually have any ambivalence about being a parent - it is just the actual birth I'm starting to get nervous about.

I'm also worrying about taking leave from work - my job is kind of intense and I'm basically the only person who does what I do and my organization has a very small staff, so we're having to hire new people to cover for me while I'm out. I know once the baby is here I won't be thinking about the job at all (at least for the 8 weeks I'm able to take off before I go back part time - I so wish I could take longer, but I can't afford it and neither can the organization...), and I know once I return from my short leave my priorities will have shifted. In the meantime I have A LOT to do so I can pass projects along to other people, but all I really feel like doing is taking naps. We're interviewing people this week, so hopefully once that is settled I'll feel a little better about that.

So, that is what is on my mind these days. Otherwise, thankful to be feeling pretty well and glad to be up to my every-other-week appointments with the midwife - love getting to hear the heartbeat so often and get their casual reassurance that everything is just fine.

How is everyone else?

me (34) and dp (39). After 18 months of IVI with a KD and 2 losses excitedly awaiting the arrival of a baby in October 2014! 

30****35***40
#4 of 37 Old 08-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all! I didn't mean to have a baby and disappear. M is already 6 weeks old and I have to go back to work in 1 1/2 weeks. I can't believe it. It turns out taking care of a newborn is all consuming, at least our baby. He is a handful and somedays I feel like all I do is nurse. Some days are better than others though and yesterday he smiled for the first time. I'm looking forward to participating more over here and looking forward to more babies arriving. Any news Fried?

Me (31) DW (28) 2 puppies and a baby on the way

****5****10****15****20****25***stork-boy.gif30****35****40

#5 of 37 Old 08-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys, just a short update to tell you that Nils arrived. He's 8lbs5 and 20.1 inches, a very mature looking newborn, lean and with some blonde hair.
Labor lasted 24 hours after rupture of membranes shortly at 9pm Sunday after I tried nipple stim in a hot bathtub to get him started. The first phase of labor was very slow, so next morning after 10 hours of no effacement or dilation with 10-3 min contractions and no sleep they did acupuncture and I reluctantly took 1/4 of a Cytotec pill which helped progress to 3-4 cm over 6 hours.
At that point I was seriously considering an epidural. Instead my midwife offered a pain killer which took the edge of the contractions a bit and made me a bit loopy. I was able to rest a bit and we were all happily surprised that I had progressed to almost complete in just 90 min.
All those hours I usually labored kneeling, on all fours, standing and on the birth ball using my deep Yoga breathing. My midwife was very happy that I used all this positioning instinctively and complimented me on my endurance. My wife was a champion, fetching me stuff, massaging my back and generally tending to my every whim.
During transition however baby's head just didn't want to move down completely to push away that last cervical lip, and also his heart rate dropped dangerously with some contractions. My midwife figured that my good body control and movement made me avoid some of the force, even though I pushed down with every one of them. She asked me to lay down for an exam as I lay there it became pretty clear that labor had almost stalled after 22 hours just shy of the pushing phase.
We discussed options and I agreed to put on a oxy drip. We were running out of time since it was monday evening and I hadn't slept since sunday morning. Also baby had released meconium into the water so coupled with the heartrate drops they were a bit concerned about his wellbeing.
The drip gave me horrible, brutal and relentless contractions while my midwife positioned me on my right side. He moved down while I lost my sense of time, pushing and screaming with almost no breaks. DW held my leg up like a warrior. It was ugly but efficient. I was soon able to feel him and pushed his head out in one big contraction with searing pain and then the rest of his body right after. All in all it took 40min. I was given the option of moving into a more upright position to push him out but I felt too much out of control due to the drug.
However as soon as he was out I could sit up and look at him. He had his hand next to his head and the cord wrapped around his neck twice.
We waited a couple of minutes for the pulse in his cord to stop and then I cut it and picked him up.
We tried nursing after a while to get the placenta out but I got no more contractions after the drip was stopped and he wasn't interested yet. So we put baby on my wife's chest and with the midwife's massage and me pushing we slowly coaxed the placenta out and then tended to my tearing. With the extra hand next to his head and the force of the meds my lady parts really took beating, a big open pocket-like tear inside and two labial tears. They stitched me up for 45 minutes. Overall I was satisfied with how things worked out. We didn't stick with our all-natural birth plan, but all interventions were talked through thoroughly and I felt they really made sense at this time. I feel like the decision to go for a midwife led birthing station in a hospital was a good one. They were really respectful of our wishes and gave us lots of room.
We'll three spend the next three days as a family in the hospital. Nils is very easygoing so far and only cries when naked. He likes being swaddled and sleeping on or in between his mommas. We're a bit overwhelmed by everything, like the seriousness of what we've done just hit us. Life is good.
pokeyac likes this.
#6 of 37 Old 08-12-2014, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Congratulations Friederike! I wish you speedy healing. That sounds a bit rough. Take it easy and enjoy your time with your new little Nils and your wife.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 37 Old 08-13-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats Friederike and welcome Nils!

I really appreciate how much detail you shared in the story of the birth and also how positive you feel about it despite things not going as originally planned - I am finding it a good reminder for myself as I start formulating my plans/wishes for birth.

Hope you are all doing great and that your recovery goes well!

(When you have a chance, will you let me know the actual birth date, so I can update the list? I'm thinking from your timeline that it was the 11th, but want to make sure I get it right!)

30****35***40
#8 of 37 Old 08-13-2014, 12:43 PM

Hi all!

Fried- Congratulations to you and your wife on the arrival of Nils. If you have the chance and the desire I would love to see a picture of your little one. It sounds like you did an amazing job getting him into the world, and although your birth didn't go exactly as planned I am happy for you that you feel like it was all the right choices.

Prettyisa- I am not sure if I ever congratulated you on the arrival of your boys, so congratulations! How are you all doing? And is Edie still doing well with the arrival of her brothers?

Lea- Thanks for starting the new thread and for your kind words. You are getting towards the end of your pregnancy, in just about two months your babe should be here! How did you like your first childbirth class? Which class did you choose? Dp and I have been reading about the different options and trying to figure out which one would be right for us.

Fried, Pokey and Prettyisa- Thank you all as well for your thoughts and words as we have been healing from the loss of Emery.

AFU- We are currently 17, almost 18 weeks along and feeling good. I am feeling a lot more relaxed into this pregnancy and feeling more and more sure that this baby will be sticking around and coming into the world. As I mentioned above, DP and I are looking into the childbirth Ed classes in our area and am wondering if any of you can give me insight. Which class did you take? Do you feel like it prepared you for your birth? The options in our area include the Bradley method, Blissborn, Hypnobirth and Lamaze, as well as a few other classes offered by doula's to thier clients. Speaking of doula's, I think we found the one we want to go with. We met with her one on one and met a few others at a local "Meet the Doulas Night." Lucy, the one we chose, seems very educated and sweet and came highly recommended from a nurse friend of DPs. A week from Friday we will have our anatomy scan. I am so excited to be able to see our babe again and make sure that everything is developing properly. If baby cooperates, we plan to find out the sex even though neither of us actually care. I am more excited to find out to see if I am right. I have a feeling it is a girl and nearly eveyone else in our lives thinks it is a boy.

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our baby girl, expected January 15th 2015.
Remebering our Angel Baby, Emery.

#9 of 37 Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 PM

Hi everyone

I had a first ultrasound today and things looked good so I'm hoping to hang out here for some months.

I am 7 weeks along. Saw a strong heartbeat today - and everything looked to be developing well.

Welcome Nils!!! I hope your tearing heals quickly. I had some good tearing with my second child . My midwife said you really start to feel yourself after 6 days and on the 5th day I scoffed, but she was right. It got better each day. Sitz baths were helpful to me for healing. I love his name. You are amazing - what an incredible birth!!!
pokeyac likes this.

Our family: mommy and DW mama our 5 yr old DD 'Z' and 2.5 yr old DD 'S' and waiting for (March 2015)

#10 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 02:38 AM

Lea, yes it was August 11.
thank you all for your congrats. We have to stay a day longer because Nils got a bit of jaundice and a latching problem, which makes him too sleepy and loose weight. So nursing is hard on us atm. But hopefully we'll figure it out soon without having him scream in terror at my nipples for 15 minutes before he feeds.

Hopeful, I'll answer about the class once I am home. Good to hear that you're more relaxed and secure. It is such a difficult journey with that loss. Are you feeling any kicks already?

Onemommy- congrats on the heartbeat, it's such an important milestone in the first trimester.
#11 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Fried - I hope you're getting good support at the hospital for the feeding - so many people I know have needed extra help in that area and sometimes I feel like the expecting parents don't get much information on the challenges that might arise with breastfeeding.

onemommy - excited that you got to hear a heartbeat! I know how hard the first trimester is and that cautious optimism. Do you have an EDD you'd like me to add to the list?

hopeful - speaking of EDDs - do you want me to add a more specific date to the list for you? Our birthing class has been okay so far - we've had two classes and were kind of surprised to be the only queer couple in the class. The instructor is a pretty well-known educator and I was assured by a couple people that the class would be queer-friendly. I can tell that the teacher is trying to be inclusive, even though she doesn't always succeed - she's a bit older and I think it is at least in part generational. In any case, the class is specifically focused on out-of-hospital births and is taught by a doula. It is kind of nice to be in the company of others who are planning to give birth at home or at birthing centers, and two other couples turn out to have the same midwives as us, so that was a nice discovery. It doesn't focus on a particular method, but more on the realities of labor and natural pain management techniques like breathing and relaxation techniques. We found the class through a resource list our midwives gave us - partly we chose this one because it fit pretty well with our schedule. Let us know what you decide to take! I'd love to hear about classes or resources that others have liked!

30****35***40
#12 of 37 Old 08-15-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi all! So...twins are more work than I expected, at least in terms of computer-with-a-keyboard time. Just stopping in to say a huge congrats to Fried, though! It sounds like your birth experience was totally intense, but I'm so glad it ended well with your little guy! My boys had jaundice and were lazy latchers at first, too (well, one was, the other we've started calling 'I could eat'). As soon as the jaundice went away, so did the nursing difficulties, so don't worry that he'll be difficult forever!

OMOM--congrats and welcome! Such exciting news!

Everything here is hard, but good. Mostly the nighttime fussies really suck when you are also trying to spend some quality bedtime with a toddler. But today we're going on a picnic and watching the practice day of the air and water show and I think it's going to be good.

She's here!
And so are the boys!
#13 of 37 Old 08-15-2014, 07:53 AM

It's been forever since I've posted
Congrats on the newbies!
Isa, twins/triplets are hard, but soon you will get into a rhythm and it will get manageable ...

Afm... The boys are almost 18 m! How the heck did my tiny boys turn into rambunctious toddlers ? It's hard Somedays but then other days are a breeze ! Having 3 , 18 month olds is time consuming and I feel like I'll never be rested again
2 out of the 3 are walking , they are starting to explode with some language .

Hope everyone is well
pokeyac likes this.
#14 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 AM

Our midwife who cares for us at home is amazing. After 4 days of hospital care, with some good breastfeeding support (one nurse helping him latch for 20min) and some desastrous advice (the worst was it doesn't matter if he's not interested yet, which changed into he has to bf immediately at 36hours when he was jaundiced, loosing weight and had only dry diapers) and where I left nursing with nipple shilds and only laying on my side, I now was able to do two feeds successfully at the breast while sitting. And was shown how to tell early signs of mastitis and get rid of those hot, knobbly spots before it is too late. I got a nifty vacuum pump to prepare the nipple and get things flowing, which makes it easier for him. We're still figuring things out, but it's getting better.
My wife was shown by our midwife how to care for the cord stump, how to dress and swaddle him more easily and how to tell if he's cold or too hot. All in all, amazing. Our midwife has this big leather bag and every time we mentioned a problem we're having she pulled a remedy out. Breast massage oil, sitzbath stuff, jaundice tea, nipple prep thingy. Like a real life Mary Poppins.

Hopeful - about the class. We took a prep class that covered labor stages, childbirth , first week and basic newborn care. No specific method. We practised labor positions and massages. Half of the class was with partners. We learned some new facts (not too many since we read lots) and had fun with the exercises that made us talk about expectations for our life with the baby. As for labor prep, I felt that pregnancy Yoga was good, especially the intense practice of breathing techniques. I did that from 25 weeks on, twice during the last 6 weeks and highly recommend it.

#15 of 37 Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Friederike - congratulations! I absolutely love your birth story, thank you for sharing!

Omom - congrats on the heartbeat! Very very exciting! I got my positive this week, so based on my conception date I am 4w4d. Two weeks until my ultrasound (another tww)!

My tentative due date is April 22, which is Earth Day! Of course that can change, but it would be nice
#16 of 37 Old 08-17-2014, 12:35 PM

Fried - Congrats! I hope you are feeling better each day and enjoying your little Nils!

Hopeful - How exciting that you get to find out what you're having soon! I had a feeling we were having a boy, I couldn't really tell you why but I just kind of knew and what do you know, I was right

OMOM - Congrats on the ultrasound! That is such a great feeling!

Angee - Congrats and welcome! Can't wait to learn more about your journey!

AFM - Here we are almost at 27 weeks and things are getting very busy! We had a 3D ultrasound this past weekend with my little sister as a gift to her and her fiancé and it was great to see the cousins and get a glimpse of what they're going to look like We're also battling illness and infections in our home as well. My DW has a sinus infection and I have an upper respiratory infection... both of us with a wicked cough, not so much fun. My DW is on some antibiotics but I'm still waiting it out and hoping for it to get better but the doctor is giving me until Tuesday before they're going to recommend a script. Fingers crossed things get better on it's own! Other than that, we have the glucose test coming up a week from Tuesday and then we start the every 2 weeks appointments! We have lots of baby showers coming up between us and my sister, our childbirth class at the hospital and maternity pictures I have set up for us I don't think anything is going to slow down now until the little guy is here!

Hope everyone else is doing well and I will try to continue to follow along better as we get closer and closer to more babies!

My amazing wife (28) and I (26) TTC our first child via IUI w/ anonymous frozen sperm IUI #1 July 2013 = Early MCIUI #2 January 2014 = BFNIUI #3 in February 2014 = BFP!!! ****5****10****15****20****25***30****35* ***40
#17 of 37 Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM

just popping in to say CONGRATULATIONS Fried, wife & Nils (he's 3 days before my birthday) !! I had to go on the oxy drip for my whole labour. It was awful!!!! I hope it all goes well for you and hi to everyone else. I'm sorry I've been so crap at keeping in touch - will try better, although off home to Oz in September for 3 weeks which will be great after 5 years since last visiting.

AFM going to specilist tomorrow as whole leg still blocked from my DVt

Liz (40) 'wife' to Abby (33). together 2001, 'Married' 2004. Fur babies Harvey, Bailey & Evie dog2.gif  & Churchill  cat.gif

Second IVF successful, he's here!!!!

DS born 12/4/2012, weight 6lb11 babyboy.gif

IVF 31st July 2013 12 eggs retrieved, 2 morula (nearly blasts) transferred 5th August,...

#18 of 37 Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 AM

Hey Liz, good to see you around again. Great that you're finally able to fly home for a visit. But what a bummer that you're STILL dealing with the DVT. I hope it won't interfere with the flight.

Jam, wow you're one busy preggo lady. Good to hear that your friends and family are doing so much to make this time really special. Enjoy it all, before you get too heavy for all the action

Angee, what a great due date to have!

Afm, we're currently waiting for the babywearing instructor to drop by and teach us how to use our woven wraps. We also signed up for 4 baby massage classes and a mom&baby gym class in October.
Oh and we started using cloth. Most onesize diapers are still too big and we seem to have a leaking problem with the Blueberry prefolds, but we're learning.

#19 of 37 Old 08-27-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all! I've been MIA a bit due to extreme work deadlines and a steady stream of house guests, but wanted to stop by and see how everyone is doing! So glad to hear from those of you whose kiddos have arrived - it is nice to be reminded that after all this there will be a baby here (or two or three, although in my case only one)...

How is everyone else doing?

30****35***40
#20 of 37 Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 PM

OMOM- Congratulations on seeing that little heartbeat! I will never forget the first time I saw my babies hearts beating on that screen, such a precious moment!

Fried- Sorry to hear about the latching problem Nils has been having. I hope it is continuing to get easier for you both. Thank you for the information on the class you took and the pregnancy yoga. I am getting to the point of starting to figure out how to prep my body for labor and I've been thinking about adding in some yoga or other pregnancy excercise. DP and I have been doing our research on diapers, and it can be so overwhelming! Have you been able to stop the leaks and find better fitting ones?

Lea- Yes, please update my EDD- it is 1/15/15. Thank you for the information on the class you are taking. How are you doing? Are you starting to feel ready for your LO to make its debut? October seems like it is just around the corner!

Angee- Congratulations!! Have you had your first ultrasound yet? Those weeks of waiting can be so rough, but definielty worth it to see that little baby in there! An Earth Day due date would be fun.

Cananny- It's hard to believe your boys are already 18 months old! I remember when you were over in Queer Conceptions and how badly you wanted to become a Momma! Crazy how quickly time flies by.

AFM- We are doing well. I have been feeling baby move for the last two weeks, and we had our anatomy scan last Friday. Everything looks great with our baby and we are now considered low enough risk to be seen by the midwive group and no longer the OBs!! We also found out that baby has a vagina! I had a feeling it was a girl. Now, thinking about our daughter, it feels so much more real. I can't seem to get enough information about childbirth and products for baby and caring for a newborn. I am glad we still have awhile before baby is set to arrive so I can feel like I know more than I know now, but I just can't wait to meet her and have her out here with us. I really feel so blessed to be this little ones Momma.
pokeyac likes this.

After years of waiting, DP and I are so excited for the arrival of our baby girl, expected January 15th 2015.
Remebering our Angel Baby, Emery.

#21 of 37 Old 08-27-2014, 04:08 PM

Congratulations on the baby girl, @hopeful22 ! It's great to have more girls around here. I hope pregnancy is treating you well.
I hope the rest of you pregnant folks are excellent as well.

Cha Cha is 14 months and walking and starting to talk. He is climbing and getting into everything. It's cool to watch him grow and learn something new every day. He gets to hang out with Cananny's boys sometimes because she and her partner are his nannies. They are getting really big and it's cool to see how different they are.

#22 of 37 Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM

Fried: Congrats! and welcome Nils! So glad to hear of his arrival. Our little guy was pretty jaundiced and a super lazy eater. He's barely 9 lbs at 2 months old, but seems to be gaining better these days. Do you have any newborn specific diapers? M is still in those and is just now not fitting in his newborn prefolds, the others are still way too big though. DW and I are turning out to be flats lovers, which surprised us both.

Hopeful: We didn't take a childbirth class. We started doing the Pink Kit as recommended by our midwife, but when I still had placenta previa at 28 weeks we pretty much stopped doing it. When it moved to a low lying placenta at 35 weeks we tried to hurry and do a crash course, but I didn't end up needing it. I hope you all find something that works for you. I really loved what we did in the Pink Kit, but it's definitely more for self-study folks. I knew I didn't want to do a traditional class. Congrats on having a girl, we haven't had many of them lately.

Isa: I can't even imagine twins, plus a toddler. Our little guy is so much work and I never have two hands to type at a keyboard. You all are rockstars in my book.

onemommyonemama: Welcome, how is the pregnancy so far?

angeebaby: Welcome to you as well!

AFM: I went back to work last week and I hate it. DW and I are trying to figure out a plan for me to stay home and work on my art career/just be a mommy. We hired a nanny, but I don't' think it's for us. I never in a million years would have thought I'd want to quit my job and stay home, but that's where we are at. M is amazing and I just love him so much. He's been pretty fussy and cries a lot. I've tried cutting dairy from my diet. Not sure what else to try. He has silent reflux and just seems to feel miserable a lot of the time. It's exhausting, but getting better slowly. I have a 4 day weekend coming up and can't wait to snuggle with my baby all day

#23 of 37 Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Hopeful - yay for girls, it was about time we had another one of those here. Enjoy those movements, they're so reassuring.

On diapers, we have gotten the hang of it now that the little viking is well over 9lbs. The leaking of some diapers was caused by onesies that were too tight around the legs. So we use bigger sizes for when we use cloth and the smaller ones during the night when he's still in disposables at the moment. We're going through our stash very quickly because he poops a lot. Right now we use prefolds with Blueberry Capri Covers and AiOs, some Bumgenius Freetime, Blueberry Simplex in newborn size, Totsbots Bamboozles with their Flexiwrap, Close Pop-Ins, Alva Baby Pockets and a couple others.

Oh, and we figured out what our breastfeeding problem is. After my appendicitis the doctors told me to supplement magnesium daily (375mg), which regulates the bowel and also prevents premature labor. So I used it until 38 weeks. Now my body goes through magnesium withdrawal so I got vasospasms / Raynauds Syndrome in my nipples, where basically they cramp up and loose blood circulation and hurt like hell. Nobody ever told me about this phenomenon of course. We're treating it with calcium/magnesium and lots of nursing. It's getting easier. I am pretty sure that by next month nursing will be fun.

#24 of 37 Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Hmm amazing Fried. I was also taking Magnesium my whole pregnancy and before, due to migraines. I haven't taken it since Thijs was born though and get the vasospasms all the time. I figured it was just because he gets a lazy latch sometimes when he comfort nurses. I am going to give mag a shot and see how it goes.

#25 of 37 Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Redrock, my midwife told me to take calcium/magnesium 2/1 starting with 2000mg/1000mg once and then 1000/500 and if we see results then decrease it to 600/300 for a while and later stop slowly. Maybe it is worth trying for you too. Those spasms hurt like hell, don't they.

#26 of 37 Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 AM

Hi everyone! Long time, no see: I've been away from these forums for almost 9 months! I'm so glad to see so many familiar faces, as well as new ones.

Z is now 9.5 months old, and pretty damn awesome. Today, I glanced into the bedroom to see that he'd woken from his nap, found my sudoku book and pen, and looked like he was actually trying to do a puzzle! Raising a good little geek, we are:

IMG_0051.jpg

Congrats on all the new babes! Gotta go read up on where y'all are at...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0051.jpg (220.3 KB, 20 views)
pokeyac likes this.

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif
#27 of 37 Old 09-02-2014, 04:25 AM

Hey everyone, just wanted to post a quick update! We are still waiting for the arrival of our little girl. My wife is doing great and we are working on little last minute things before she arrives. The nursery is finally mostly finished. The subtle Harry Potter theme worked out pretty well. When I get around to taking pictures of it I'll share. We found a doula to work with and DW started the Hynobabies program about a month ago which seems to be working out well for her. We are ready to try cloth diapering and have been researching babywearing the last couple of months also. I guess we feel as prepared as we possibly could at this point and we are just excited to finally meet her

and.... Congratulations Fried!!!!
#28 of 37 Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM

@granite - I'm impressed your cat is so chill. Ours won't go anywhere near C. I'm glad Z picked up the geeky gene.
@agrex - I hope everything goes well with the birth!

#29 of 37 Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

It has been so quiet here lately!

agrex - any news on your little one?
granite - I love that picture!
Fried and Redrock - very interesting about the magnesium (is it helping?) - I've been taking cal/mag for the last couple months of this pregnancy (to help with terrible charlie horses in my legs), so it is good to know I should probably be cautious about stopping after the birth.
Pokey - 14 months! What a fun age!
hopeful - how are you doing?
lizbian - are you traveling now? how is your leg?

afm - everything is moving along just fine. I think this week I just hit that moment of thinking, "I can't believe I'm going to be pregnant for at least a few more weeks..." - I am so ready to meet this little one, but we're likely still over a month away! These months/weeks seem to pass so quickly and so slowly at the same time.

Here's a question, that I think has come up before:
What are you having your kids call you and/or your partner? DP and I were just talking about it last night and we can't quite settle on what fits us best. Curious how other people are doing it...

30****35***40
#30 of 37 Old 09-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Hey, I've been super busy since DW went back to work, especially since she is travelling abroad for a week right now, so I am on my own. Being a single mom with a newborn must be so hard. I have enormous respect for everyone who does that.

Wow, you're so close already Lea. Enjoy those last weeks feeling the baby move inside you. I miss that feeling a lot. How much have you prepared, any last minute projects?
We're mama (DW) and mommy (me).

AFM, breastfeeding has gotten easier. It really seems to take several week until it is somewhat fun. I still feel touched out at times, because he is a real boob junkie, but at least it doesn't hurt anymore. I still wish he would take a paci instead of my boobs to suck on. He discovered sucking his hand and fingers in the last couple of days, maybe this will help a bit.
I also started part time elimination communication for pooping. He cries and fusses a lot with gas and poops, several times each day, so I make it easier for both of us by offering. I wasn't particularly set on dping this, but it seems convenient atm. He poops in our bathroom sink, which I am not particularly fond of, but it's what works best for now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page