Where should we move? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where should we move?

DP and I and my 2 kids and our 8 pets are seeking a change. We live in upstate NY in a hippie liberal town which is so awesome...until winter comes. And for 6 months of the year it is overcast and cold and snowy. I'm a Texas girl and the winter makes me reclusive and depressed. DP is also ready for a warmer place.

We basically need somewhere that stays warm most if not all of the year, AND somewhere where we can be ourselves and not worry we will be dealing with hate crimes. We hold hands, we kiss, we even make out, and I don't want to think about whether I'm safe when doing so. I'd also like the kids to not feel different because of having queer parents.

DP wants to live in San Diego, but honestly even though we live somewhere very expensive, I don't think we could pull SD off. She isn't up for Austin's extreme heat so I can't pull her back to my homeland.

Any good ideas?

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
San Francisco. Atlanta.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We've heard good things about St Petersburg. Maybe Asheville?

She's here!
And so are the boys!
Old 08-08-2014, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
As someone who lives in the Bay Area, I would say don't move here if you think you can't handle San Diego financially. This area is more expensive. You would have to live pretty far away from the city to have room for the kids and pets. The weather here is perfect for me, but I wouldn't say it is warm exactly. I'm from Ohio and I hate the winters there. I love it here because it rarely gets too hot or too cold. Some parts of the area are warm but some parts are colder. We wear pants year round and a jacket most days. Southern California is much warmer. If you lived more inland or near Napa/Sonoma, it would be warmer and cheaper, but those places are also more rural and conservative politically but not too bad. I have heard San Diego has some pretty conservative areas. Have you looked at the Central Coast? Maybe San Luis Obispo? It seems like a pretty laid back kind of place.
I have also heard good things about Asheville.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

User Tag List