Anyone Going to Pride Festivities? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2005, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2005, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
nope, Personally I think those things cause more harm then good. I mean, can you really take someone serious about gay marriage when there out there trying to look as outlandish and deviant as can be? Not the way to get accepted in this conservative country and I'm a far left liberal saying this. Its the whole catch more flies with honey thing ya know?

Seriously?
Old 06-04-2005, 07:58 PM

i am torn between going to queens pride and jersey pride tomorrow...hmmm...

and i will be in the big NYC parade with my group, and we will probably be outlandish and whatnot, because we believe in being our freaky queer selves. remember stonewall!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Yep! I'm going to the Cowtown festivities with my boi from HIS Kings. We'll march, drink beer in the park and then prolly do punk rock kareoke later.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori
nope, Personally I think those things cause more harm then good. I mean, can you really take someone serious about gay marriage when there out there trying to look as outlandish and deviant as can be?
We are planning on attending with our church.

We have whole families that go to the parade and march behind our church banner (and yes, some are gay, some not!). Aside from us all wearing purple last time, I don't think we looked too deviant.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:10 PM

my UU church is doing something and a buddhist group i go to sometimes is doing something also. so not sure what i am doing yet, but plan on taking the family down and having them participate for the first time we are in Columbus, Ohio
Old 06-04-2005, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori
nope, Personally I think those things cause more harm then good. I mean, can you really take someone serious about gay marriage when there out there trying to look as outlandish and deviant as can be? Not the way to get accepted in this conservative country and I'm a far left liberal saying this. Its the whole catch more flies with honey thing ya know?
Couldn't disagree w/ you more. If we are to be accepted or "taken seriously" it should be on our terms not theirs. Pride is a time to be ... um, proud. Of who you are, in all your outlandish deviantness or all your straightlaced mainstreaminess, or whoever you really are. Not a time to dress up in conservative drag and pretend to be June and Ward Cleaver. I have no interest in catching flies.

I love Pride, but hate the fact that it's turned into one big beer ad, at least in seattle. Haven't been to Pride in NYC yet cuz I've always been out of town, but definitely plan to go this year. Guess it will be T-bone's 1st!

http://www.hopinc.org/home/ for anyone else in NYC.

PS - I've always marched w/ my anti-police brutaliy org in seattle, and never looked particularly deviant but this year, with my blue hair and my toddler in his "Future Drag Queen" shirt, I guess I will.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If being accepted means people have to change who they are or pretend to be something else, then they aren't really being accepted, are they? I don't think the GLBT community should be accepted...as long as they act just like conservative straight people.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll go. I haven't been in years and I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant. I'll have to ask my mom when Indy's is.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
Couldn't disagree w/ you more. If we are to be accepted or "taken seriously" it should be on our terms not theirs. Pride is a time to be ... um, proud. Of who you are, in all your outlandish deviantness or all your straightlaced mainstreaminess, or whoever you really are. Not a time to dress up in conservative drag and pretend to be June and Ward Cleaver.
: I like how you said it, Guerillamama!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:54 PM

historically, "not rocking the boat" hasn't been effective. in the 50's and 60's, the Mattachine society did try to fit in and wear the conservative drag to work for gay rights, but they failed to accomplish anything substantial, and their membership declined. and it really wasn't until ACT UP, with their "in your face" tactics, that our gov't really began to take AIDS seriously.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:55 PM

It is the more "outlandish" elements of the queer community who fought for our freedom and humanity when it was hardest. This taste of acceptance we've gotten of late scares me - I don't want us to mainstream it down and lose respect for the parts of our community that don't fit within het culture's idea of what is acceptable. It is those parts of our community who in my opinion have the most to teach.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
It is the more "outlandish" elements of the queer community who fought for our freedom and humanity when it was hardest. This taste of acceptance we've gotten of late scares me - I don't want us to mainstream it down and lose respect for the parts of our community that don't fit within het culture's idea of what is acceptable. It is those parts of our community who in my opinion have the most to teach.
:
Old 06-04-2005, 09:03 PM

Excellent responses
Old 06-04-2005, 10:16 PM

I usually walk in the "dyke march" then ride (motorcycle) in the NYC pride parade the next day. It's a blast heading up the parade, but then I never get to see much of it. I may just "go" this year..but I haven't decided yet.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Its the whole catch more flies with honey thing ya know?
Don't you mean you catch more flies with bull$hit?

I don't know of anything going on around here.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:45 PM

I go almost every year to the parade in Portland and have plans on being there this year as well, all 5 kids in tow because I do believe that it should be seen as a family event.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:06 PM

Just wrapped up our weekend's PRIDE events!! It was rainy but fun. The drag show at the local gay bar was fantastic, and I saw my first Drag Kings. They were hot. (Do other women here find them attractive? Help me out here...)

The festival at the park had lots of cool vendors, some awesome paintings for sale, and a TON of queer people. I was in heaven! My dd clapped and danced during the drag show and really enjoyed all the dogs that were there.

I marched in the parade today with my church group but went home early due to pesky mesquitos.

I absolutely loved being surrounded by that many accepting, cool people. It was first year attending sine I've come "out" and was hoping to meet someone, ya know , but I feel good just participating. Oh! And I got a flyer for a local lesbian org. starting up in a couple weeks! That should be fun.

HAPPY PRIDE! :
Old 06-05-2005, 08:27 PM

When is the NYC Pride March this year?

In the past I would rollerskate it with SAGE (senior action in a gay environment), which my mom is a member of. I'd carry a sign that said "Proud daughter of two moms."

Such a wonderful, wonderful day. So much love!!

One day Lulu and I will walk it together. If we are in town this year, we could do a little bit of it, perhaps.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:32 PM

I took my babe to Pride last year... the only concern was it was a little hot, so we found shade and water as soon as the march ended.

I think she'll like the balloons and bright costumes this year!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:42 PM

round these parts, it's pride weekend, with a trannie march, a queer march, and the big beer ad (as tm putit, and I totally agree).

There's also a faeri area at pride 'round here, which is non commercial, so maybe I'll take dd to that. I hate crowds, but she is growing up in a city known and loved forit's fabulous queerness, so I think I owe it to her to have it be a regular, yearly event for her. and she loves costumes, so...

And I'll be going to the trannie march; last year was the first one here, and it was great, but small; hopefully this year more peoplewill turn out.

And, I agree with what others have said..assimilation is not liberation!!!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Yes, we'll be at Pride this year, but just at the festival. The parade is during our daughter's nap time...

Here's my take on the whole assimilation discussion: it seems to me that the right wing hates me just as much as a monagamous, tax-paying, home-owning, partnered/childrearing lesbian as they do my drag-queen, bar-hopping, one-night-stand brother. I'm not sure what I would have to do to win their approval short of becoming straight.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 PM

I doubt I will be attending the one in my area. It seems kinda crazy that we have to do this to get the same rights and respect as straight folk. I just wanna be with my girl and live a happy life.... That is my focus right now. No matter how hard *they* try, they can't take away the feelings I have when I hold her hand or lay in her arms.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Old 06-08-2005, 02:15 AM

I don't go to Pride to fight for rights... I do it to party with my friends and celebrate queer culture.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:17 AM

yeah that. there are many marches and protests and rallies and lobbying days and direct actions and kiss-ins and so forth... not enough, but many. Pride is not that. Pride is a party - a party with some political messaging (and a lot more beer advertising) but a party nonetheless.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:54 AM

I geuss it would just make me feel SO SAD. I'm sure there would be tons of queer couples and I'll probably start bawling my eyes out because *she* is half way across the country.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Old 06-08-2005, 12:27 PM

we are looking forward to attending the massive (1 million +)Toronto Pride for the first time in about 5 years. It is a wonderful celebration of fabulousness and diversity and has giant beer ad, non commercial artsy, and family picnic elements! Dd is too tiny to appreciate much, but we look forward to putting her in her 'my mommies rule' onesie and to taking her to future celebrations! Dyke March and drag kings are among my favourite parts...and looking forward to meeting other queer mamas!

oh and yeah that! to all those who spoke out against assimilation.
Diane B, I love this, and ITA:
"Here's my take on the whole assimilation discussion: it seems to me that the right wing hates me just as much as a monagamous, tax-paying, home-owning, partnered/childrearing lesbian as they do my drag-queen, bar-hopping, one-night-stand brother. I'm not sure what I would have to do to win their approval short of becoming straight."
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 PM

We'll be attending our local Gay Pride Day although it isn't a very big production here at all... our church will have an outdoor service that morning at the park and then there is a picnic with a lot of vendors selling pride merchandise. Here it seems like Pride Day is just a chance for the gay bars to get a lot of business, sadly - everyone treks out to the bars after they buy a burger. Last year when I was pg they were trying to start up a Queer families group, and only 3 families (including us) signed up.

I am, however, extremely thrilled to present as a queer family unit for the first time. I already have a pair of rainbow wool shorts for DS to wear over his dipes that day.

I always looked at pride events as a chance to relax and fully enjoy myself without feeling those "eyes" staring you down all over the place for being yourself.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower
We are planning on attending with our church.

We have whole families that go to the parade and march behind our church banner (and yes, some are gay, some not!). Aside from us all wearing purple last time, I don't think we looked too deviant.

Hey, I think I actually remember y'all!!!!! I think our parade has a very wide spectrum from the dull and boring to the mouth dropped "I can't believe they are out here like that!"

One thing is for sure -- our parade is getting bigger and bigger. The after party/festival at the park is simply too crowded to move and enjoy the booths. The night before at the Rose used to be tons of fun, but anymore, it too is insanely crowded, as it is the only women's bar in Seattle the night before.

So, all that to say. I dunno. I love the comaraderie, but I just don't know if I feel like dealing with the crowds.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:22 PM

Just found out that Rachel Maddow -- radio talk show host extraordinaire from Air America Radio (www.airamericaradio.com) will be grand marshal and MC.

Crowds? What crowds? Woo Hoo!!!

User Tag List