Is it me, or do lesbians seem to have more boys? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-16-2005, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not talking about women who get pregnant in a hetero relationship and later "become" lesbian (like me ).

It seems like most lesbians I know give birth to boys. Out of 5 lesbian couples I know, only one has a girl. Reading this thread I see that there are a lot of boys. I know there are differences in X and Y sperm. Do the various insemination procedures seem to favor Y sperm? Has this been anyone else's experience?

What's the deal?
#2 of 28 Old 09-16-2005, 04:19 PM

My SIL is TTC through AI and she told me that the procedure favors boys. Her explanation was that since AI is always done as close to the time of ovulation as possible, boy sperm that are "faster" have an advantage...although I thought that theory had been debunked. But apparently, it is true that for whatever reason, more boys than girls are conceived through AI.
#3 of 28 Old 09-16-2005, 04:25 PM

I can only go by my experience. My sister and her partner have 2 boys. Most of their friends have boys. There are a couple of girls.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#4 of 28 Old 09-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Yes, lesbians have more boys. Male sperm swim fast and die young (24-48 hours). Female sperm swim slow but live longer (3-5 days).
Also, freezing the sperm kills the majority of them, and only the strong survive, and most of the ones that survive are male.
Seeing as how when doing AI you insem as close to ovulation as possible, the boys are gonna get to the egg first. That's true of anyone doing AI, not just lesbians
#5 of 28 Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 PM

How true... I never thought about it like that, but now I guess that makes perfectly logical sense... I really wanted to have one boy and one girl, but I guess looking at it that, my chances of that aren't really good.

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

#6 of 28 Old 09-21-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...i thought it was something like that.
Don't give up moonmama!!! You can make it work I'm sure

Another thing I heard: my aunt SWEARS that women who have orgasms have boys and women and who don't have girls. It's all based on the ph balance in the vagina. So when I asked her how is it that most lesbians have boys, and most of them actually don't have orgasms when they are being inseminated, she didn't really have an answer. But, she sticks to her story. Everytime she meets a woman with lots of girls she says, "Well, her husband must be terrible in bed." :
#7 of 28 Old 09-24-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebony

Another thing I heard: my aunt SWEARS that women who have orgasms have boys and women and who don't have girls. It's all based on the ph balance in the vagina. So when I asked her how is it that most lesbians have boys, and most of them actually don't have orgasms when they are being inseminated, she didn't really have an answer. But, she sticks to her story. Everytime she meets a woman with lots of girls she says, "Well, her husband must be terrible in bed." :

I don't get some people's "logic" .... *sigh*
#8 of 28 Old 09-24-2005, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven

I don't get some people's "logic" .... *sigh*
Raven, I really wish I could get some statistics just so I could get her to hush up (not that I'm in favor of censorship ).
#9 of 28 Old 09-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Everytime she meets a woman with lots of girls she says, "Well, her husband must be terrible in bed." :
Actually... there is some merit to that statement.
If a couple has a lot of girls, what it normally means is that they are not having sex that often, as female sperm can live 5-7 days in the vagina. So if they are only having sex once a week or so, the boys are all dying off and the girls are making it to the egg.
If they have a lot of boys, they are probably having a lot of sex, since boys only live for a day, two at the most, in the vagina. So, he is keeping a fresh supply of boys on up there
Of course, it is all dumb luck normally... but if there are 5 boys in a family, it's safe to assume they are having sex fairly regularly. And if there are five girls, probably safe to assume it's a once a week thing around their house.
#10 of 28 Old 09-27-2005, 02:00 PM

this just assumes a family w/ 5 sons is having LOTS of sex, not necessarily "good" sex :LOL
#11 of 28 Old 09-27-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missus
this just assumes a family w/ 5 sons is having LOTS of sex, not necessarily "good" sex :LOL
Well we at least know it's good for HIM!
#12 of 28 Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

#13 of 28 Old 09-29-2005, 06:03 PM

Actually, according to our crunchy granola women's clinic the difference is actually ICI (intra-cervical), which was the more common version of AI in the past versus IUI (intra-uterine), which is more common now. We did AI with IUI and have a girl, we happen to be also in the rare universe where most of our friends who did anonymous donor AI have girls (including one set of three girls under three!), and most of our friends who adopted have AA boys!
#14 of 28 Old 09-29-2005, 08:07 PM

One thing that has been found for humans is that the company of the woman while concieving does effect the boy/girl ratio.

So, when women who hang out around mostly men tend to have more girls and women who hang out around more women tend to have more boys.

#15 of 28 Old 09-29-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
One thing that has been found for humans is that the company of the woman while concieving does effect the boy/girl ratio.

So, when women who hang out around mostly men tend to have more girls and women who hang out around more women tend to have more boys.

I have never heard this! Why do you think this is? Do you think there is something to it and how could it be explained?
#16 of 28 Old 09-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The local pregnant lesbian group has 12 pregnant members. Of the 11 who know the baby's gender, 10 have boys!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#17 of 28 Old 10-03-2005, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mamarhu...wow!

I guess women will have to work on the timing and other stuff if they want to have girls!
#18 of 28 Old 10-04-2005, 03:31 AM

Yep we have two boys, lots of AI (at home) over most fertile time, cos we just wanted babies and as quick as possible.

Now we are ttc no. 3 I think I will try a couple of cycles (been doing lots of reading) with AI 2-3 days before ovulation just the once to see if we can get a girl, of course at the end of the day, if it takes a couple of times, I will just try again to maximise my chances and go lots on ovulation.

I just want three babies and i LOVE my boys
#19 of 28 Old 10-06-2005, 03:15 AM

I don't know from statistics, but in my anecdotal experience, there are girls aplenty.

My good friends did IUI with cryobank donor sperm, got a girl. :

I did the same thing, got my DD :

I know one other lesbian couple who did (you guessed it) IUI with cryobank donor sperm, and got a :

My DSS was conceived via IUI with known donor (never frozen) sperm. :
#20 of 28 Old 10-06-2005, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2

Hmmmm... so maybe the answer is all of the Gay Men that we tend to hang out with, and the Daddies we got to Rainbow Families events with?
#21 of 28 Old 11-26-2005, 05:34 PM

I hate to (as usual) be the odd one, but twin girls : : here!

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

#22 of 28 Old 11-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did a ton of research on this a few years ago (on PubMed you can find a few actual studies even). In the 80's-early 90's the IUI frozen sperm process seemed statistically to yield more boys. The data were round about 70+% This is why processes like "Microsort" were invented, ostensibly to even the odds.

The late 90's-00's have shown no statistical difference in boy/girl ratio for frozen sperm IUI. If anything, there is a slight single percentage point in favor of more girls.

I believe this does have something to do with the processes used to wash sperm, which have changed over the last decade. Science has gone through no less than five major methods during this time frame in washing technique. I think that is why you read about the odds used to be statistically favorable for a boy but now doctors report no difference. Technique for insemination the same, same window of days for peak fertility, but the way the sperm are "processed" is different now than a couple years ago.
#23 of 28 Old 11-27-2005, 04:30 PM

IUI with frozen sperm here, and we have a baby girl! (As do our friends who used fresh at home...)
I know in my family there's a HUGE genetic predisposition towards having girls, and since I'm the bio-mom that tilted the odds.
Dw is planning on having the next one, same donor, same method, so we'll see!!
#24 of 28 Old 11-28-2005, 10:34 PM

The ones I know had girls.
#25 of 28 Old 12-18-2005, 03:10 AM

Been ttc & want a girl so we've been doin' research. I've read about your aunt's orgasm theory. Is becuz it changes ph in vag. after orgasm. Girl sperm better at handling "acidic" enviroments. Another idea I've heard is high calcium/low salt diet for mom, and making vag. more acidic enviro on purpose w/douch, -vinager i think?
(We are getting ready 4 another AI attempt in couple months. Found your site today, YEAH!)
#26 of 28 Old 12-26-2005, 01:30 AM

Definitely noticed this with dyke mamas!
And even women who were in hetero relationships and later came out.

We have 2 boys, 1 girl.
#27 of 28 Old 01-13-2006, 05:32 AM

Mama of twin girls here
#28 of 28 Old 01-14-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Hmm...i thought it was something like that.
Don't give up moonmama!!! You can make it work I'm sure

She probably read the same article in a magazine that I did, which was published in the 70's or 80's. Unfortunately, I don't remember which magazine I read it in. I'm not sure that there have been any subsequent studies confirming this, however. I personally believe that it's hogwash.
Is your aunt the type who believes everything she reads?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page