Anyone see the LOGO documentary on the lesbian couple? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2005, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who have cable and get the LOGO channel, they aired a documentary last night on a lesbian couple who had a baby.

I was so enraged at several parts, mainly when the bio mom goes in for a c-section, as her ob/gyn told her the baby was breech and would have to be born this way. While the bio mom is being prepped for surgery, your partner is standing there and the nurse is asking her all of these questions. When the nurse asked bio mom if she lived alone, etc., she said she has a "caregiver." The partner immediately says, "I'm not her caregiver!" The nurse then says something like, "Well, you're certainly not her legal spouse so I'm just going to put 'other'."

It gets worse. After the baby is born, they tell the partner that the baby has a problem and will need to transfer to another hospital. The bio mom was in recovery and didn't hear any of this. At this point, another doctor shows up and says he told the bio mom and she was OK, he just wanted her to know what was happening. You could tell the partner looked dismayed, as I am sure she wanted to be the one, or at least be with her partner, when she was delivered this news.

OK, so they get to the room with the bio mom. Another pediatrician comes in to talk to her. When the partner asks about forms they would need to sign so that the partner can give consent for various medical procedures, they had no idea what to say and the doctor said he knew nothing about the legality of that. Then he says, "I mean, I know who you are in her life, well, I guess I have an idea of your role..." It was so bizarre!

I was completely pissed off! And, you would think that this scene took place in a southern, or red state, hospital wouldn't you? NO! This was in Los Angeles!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 10:58 AM

Wow, I didn't hear the nurse say that about "other"! How awful. : I heard the birth mom answer "caregiver" after the nurse asked if she is single or has a spouse or caregiver, then her partner said "I'm not your caregiver!" and birth mom said "Well you're not my spouse!" My partner was watching it with me and was very upset about the way the partner was treated. I also thought it was horrible that they didn't tell both parents together about the baby's medical problem. They certainly would have gotten a mother and father together to break that news.

I did like that when the doctor said "are we circumcising?" they both said "No!"

I've seen Swimming Upstream twice, but both times I've missed the first half hour. It's annoying that Logo doesn't repeat the lesbian-oriented shows or documentaries even a tenth as much as some of the movies like Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

I, too, was happy when they said they weren't going to circ the baby. I was really upset how the partner was treated as well. I think I was more surprised that this took place in a city that most people think of as progressive. They were all so behind-the-times.

I was also a little confused about the mom's not caring about the birth. I didn't see the first half hour either but I got the impression that they were pretty educated.

OT: Yes, as for LOGO, just how it is in real life, anything lesbian is just not as important as the men. The other things that bothers me is that, at least on my cable network, the listed show isn't actually what is playing! I just don't get that.

User Tag List