lesbian mums ttc or pregnant roll call - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2006, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sacha's temp went up a little today and she is having cramping still. This is the 4th day of that. First it started off like small sharp pains occasionally. Now, it's pretty constant and feels more like AF cramps. Her stuffy nose from her cold is making a resurgeance, she is feeling naseous as of yesterday and she is fatigued. BFN this morning but we're still really hopeful.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2006, 10:20 AM

Hello, everyone.

Polyanna here, married to L, for four years now. We live in the middle of Norway, and has for three years now trying to get pregnant. Today Im waiting after my 7th insemination. Here in Norway it is illlegal, and we have to travel to Denmark to get the insemination...
Im just hoping that these is IT, but Im pretty sure it is not.

I have been reading alot here today, and I just love what I see. In Norway we are a small group whit lesbians that has, or want kids. Im so lucky that we now know someone that lives just 10 min away from us that is lesbian, and pregnant.

Im looking forward to get to now all of you.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:42 PM

Welcome Polyanna and good luck!
I can't believe it is illegal in Norway, however, I guess reality checks are always good.

So, my update is that my partner & I did our first insemination last Wednesday (4 days ago), and we are waiting to see how it went. My belly's been acting weird the last couple of weeks, so I don't know what's going on, and how things will go, but will keep you updated.

Fingers crossed for everyone.
-M
Old 03-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Michelle, we cant adopt eighter. And it not sure that my partner can adopt the baby when it is born. Becouse it is a not know dad.

But, Im happy it is not a long way to Denmark. And Im hoping that it will change here to. In time.

The real big problem starts if we need IVF, then we have to travel to England or Finland....
Old 03-27-2006, 01:21 PM

Polyanna,
Well, hopefully you won't need to go any further than what you do already. That must be so hard, to be relaxed after travelling and with the timing, etc. I wish you so much luck.
I find it amazing that effort and desire doesn't play into this. I wish it did.
-M
Old 03-27-2006, 01:48 PM

My period startet today.

I guess we will try again in 2 weeks. But I has to talk to my doc first..
Old 03-30-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

hi polyanna
sorry to hear you weren't successful this time. that's amazing it's illegal in Norway. I've been to Norway and it is truly a beautiful country, similar to New Zealand (where I live) with fjords etc.

hope you have success soon!

Welcome to the group!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 PM

Hi - I have belonged to other list serves for women trying to conceive and now that I am pregant I feel ignored whenever I post on those. I also was overwhelmed by all those using RE's to conceive because I didn't have all those numbers from all the medical tests to report like they did. Also many of their discussions revolved around fertility drugs. I am so happy to find you.

My partner and I have been together 10 years. Our very good friend - a gay male is our donor. I have PCOS and I got pregnant the second month of trying. I am due December 4 or 5 depending on what source you use.

I am feeling all sorts of early pregnancy symptoms.

How old are each of you? Are there any lesbian moms in their 30's? I am 33.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:06 PM

Wow, I somehow lost this thread but am back now.

Polyanna, I can't believe trying to have a baby is illegal in Norway. That's crazy. I agree that the added stress isn't helpful when TTC. Where are you in your cycle? Did you inseminate again this month?

Denise, so, it sounds like you just conceived at home with no interventions? Wow, on your second try with PCOS. What a lucky gal you are! I have PCOS too which is why Sacha is TTC first since we figured it would take me more time and probably fertility drugs. We're 33 and 34, together for over 13 yrs and are at the beginning of our 5th cycle ttc at home with a known, gay donor.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Old 04-17-2006, 02:19 PM

Denise & everyone else,
sorry to hear you've been ignored on other threads, and I totally understand about not having "the numbers" to talk about, and not being on Clomid (or anything else).
We'll be inseminating for our second time later this week. Last month I had an allergic reaction (hopefully not to the preservative of the sperm) a few days after insemination that lasted until post-would-be-implantation. So, it's not really a surprise that it didn't work. After talking with the people at the clinic, we expect it was an allergy to something else & are going ahead with #2 just as we did with #1, and if I experience an allergic reaction (rash all over my body) again, I'll go in & they'll check it out.
for everyone!
Old 04-17-2006, 02:28 PM

My partner and I are expecting our second child in 9/06! She is carrying this one... we have a known donor and used fresh specimen and used a regular old syringe to inseminate. Our first daughter is 2 now, and I carried her. We had the same donor for her although we were living on opposite coasts at that point, so we used frozen specimen and IUI. Anyway, glad to hear about other folks TTC or expecting. Anyone else in Northern California?
Old 04-17-2006, 07:34 PM

Welcome Magic Denise! I'm glad you found us. That's great that you were able to get pg so quickly and without intervention despite the PCOS. My dw has pcos too, but has decided not to experience the baby-growing-inside-of-her thing, so we'll never be ttc with pcos, but I hear it can be pretty challenging. I am 10 weeks pg with our third baby; we also have twins who are 3. We used the same donor this time around (annonymous frozen guy). I am 25 (almost 26!), and dw is 28, and we've been together for 7 years.

Michelle: I'm sorry to hear about the allergic reaction. I hope it wasn't anything in the sperm too, and that this is your lucky month!

megan sacha: Sorry last cycle was a bust! I hope five is your lucky number. Lots of for you guys too!

westchestermom: welcome to the thread! Congrats on baby #2! Is your daughter excited about becoming a big sister? Our boys are really excited about it (we try not to talk about it too much since it's still so far off, but since I've been so sick, it's a topic that comes up a lot), and have been telling everyone that they're going to be big brothers.

I hope there are some exciting updates from the ttc mamas in the weeks to come!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM

How's everyone doing? We're finally getting ready to start inseminations next month. Still uncertain if we will be flying our donor to us, or if we will both have to go to him in NYC because of scheduling issues he has with a class he's taking. Or we might even use Biotranz and ship the swimmers one of the days if we need to. It's all up in the air - won't know until AF comes! What a crazy rollercoaster.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:09 PM

ooooooooh! what is biotranz? Our donor is on the other side of the country. We're hoping for luck this time like last (first try!), but if it doesn't happen, we need to think about alternatives. We don't want to freeze with a bank, because that involves too much time and would end up costing more than a plane ticket, but other alternatives would be great!

good luck to all!

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Megin - Here's a link: http://www.zdlinc.com/ship.html

Basically you ship "cooled" sperm. I have talked to many people online who got pregnant using biotranz. Not as great as "fresh fresh" but better than frozen (I read the research article even because i'm geeky like that)

The downside is that it *is* expensive, and they will only sell you two vials of the test yolk buffer, which means after every two time shipping you have to buy an entire new kit. Though I do have the name and info for a different company that sells TYB and they will ship it to your doctor if he/she is a RE and orders it. I know people who have done that.

We are also hoping for luck with the first try! You never know how it will go, but I think I'm pretty fertile. We'll see I guess.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 PM

well, just got back from getting inseminated, we'll see how it goes this time. Apparently our donor has good numbers (motility & pure numbers -- "better than fresh" says the nurse), so the nurse feels we have a good chance this time. :
Old 04-25-2006, 03:59 PM

If you or anyone you know is PCOS and TTC I urge you to learn about Metformin. The stuff changed my life and helped me to ovulate regularly. I had better periods on that than anytime in my whole life. We did inseminate at home. I did it with no fertility drugs - just metformin. We had our KD tested for every disease on earth as well as having the semen analysis for motility and all that. He tested that they swam a little slow. We inseminated in February and I didn't get pregnant. I had gotten salmanella poisoning that month and my cycle and everything else was off. Then in March all went back to normal. We inseminated 5 times during my cycle. And wahahlaaaaa - I am 8 weeks pregnant.

I was also on the metformin miracles list serve with yahoo and that is a great group. There are drs and pharmacists and a lot of knowledgable women with great advice on there.

I used the fertility monitor from clear blue - as well as Toni Weschler techniques for tracking ovulation.

good luck to you all.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Denise
Hi - I have belonged to other list serves for women trying to conceive and now that I am pregant I feel ignored whenever I post on those. I also was overwhelmed by all those using RE's to conceive because I didn't have all those numbers from all the medical tests to report like they did. Also many of their discussions revolved around fertility drugs. I am so happy to find you.

My partner and I have been together 10 years. Our very good friend - a gay male is our donor. I have PCOS and I got pregnant the second month of trying. I am due December 4 or 5 depending on what source you use.

I am feeling all sorts of early pregnancy symptoms.

How old are each of you? Are there any lesbian moms in their 30's? I am 33.
Hi denice (and all the TTC mamas)

We're in our 30's too (34/36), and TTC #2. Awesome that you were able to get PG quickly with PCOS. We're doing IUI's in a clinic (and next month at home too), but we're not getting all of the misc interventions. There is a Pg mama's thread here too. I'm actually just checking in on Cd 5 awaiting "O" so that we can jump back on board. This will be Cycle #4 or #1, depending on how you look at it, since it's been 9 mos since the last cycle.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:27 AM

Just checking up on megansacha...but the thread was getting hard to find!!

Sending out : : because the chart looks good!!

Becky, married to DH, Vern , for 11 years. Mom to DS, Z (1/01), DD, A (5/02), Hershey (11 yo Shih-tzu) and May 2010 TTC #4 on my homepage!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:36 AM

We found out last week that we are pregnant! We tried for a year and our doctor had started talking IVF or adoption; since we already had two paid-for vials, we decided to go ahead and try one more time. We were shocked to see a BFP on 10 DPO. I think we've tested something like nine times and it still hasn't quite sunk in! : Needless to say, we are thrilled!

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Congratulations Susan!

Becky, thanks for the well wishes. We're headed in this AM for a beta....wish us luck!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Good luck!

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM

Good luck Megan & Sacha!

Congrats Susan! :

Just an update, we are on cycle 3 of inseminations, and will inseminate next Monday. If this one doesn't work, we'll need to get more sperm.:

HOw's everyone else who's trying doing?

Any weird suggestions at this point? I think I've got the basics covered, at least regarding not doing Kegel's, and eating grapefruit & pineapple at the appropriate times...
Old 06-06-2006, 03:23 PM

Last cycle I ended up getting pregnant but not knowing it. Seems sort of impossible for lesbians right? Wrong. I bled for three days starting at day 11, so thought I wasn't pregnant. Then they said I had a cyst, so no ttc that month, then at day 38 I was concerned the cyst was keeping my period from starting so I talked to the doctor who gave me meds to get it started. I ended up starting before I took them and then when they did my day 3 ultrasound the doctor discovered a fetus in my uterus! I was 10 weeks pregnant, but it stopped developing at 8. So after waiting a bit, I ended up doing a D and C. I am on a break, and once I start my period I can start trying again. They did a miscarriage work up, so we will find out if they find anything, this makes two miscarriages now since starting ttc in November.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 PM

Jwebbal. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope it was your last one, and that you get a sticky babe growing inside of you SOON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleW
Just an update, we are on cycle 3 of inseminations, and will inseminate next Monday. If this one doesn't work, we'll need to get more sperm.:

Any weird suggestions at this point? I think I've got the basics covered, at least regarding not doing Kegel's, and eating grapefruit & pineapple at the appropriate times...
It sounds like from your post that you are only doing one insemination per month? I would definitely suggest that you do at least two, even if you are doing IUI. It will drastically increase your chances for success. Also, how do you know that you will inseminate next Monday? I hope that is just a guess, and that you are using ovulation predictors of some kind. Do you have the book, "The Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth"? It's a must-have, IMO, and really helped us get pregnant both times. I hope this is your lucky cycle!!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Lex, I just now requested that book from the library. Here's hoping it works as well for us as it did for you!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:52 PM

for JoAnne

Thanks Lex. It will probably be next Monday, as my cycles are fairly regular -- with my O-ing on CD14 or CD15.
I have tried to talk my partner into having us do 2 vials/month, but he's (my partner is an FTM) not so for that. I've explained that it has a higher chance of working, but not only did the nurse at the clinic say they only do 1/month, but,at this point, as we only have 1 vial left, it would have to be 1 this month.

It is kinda frustrating for me. I hate arguing with the nurses/doctors who supposedly know better. Grrrrrr....

Oh, and yes, I own that book. And the other one too -- trying to remember if that is the Toevs & Brill book, or the Rachel Pepper book. I should note that both books are problematic, whether it is the way they talk to their audience (Pepper seems to write more for single lesbians, or lesbians with partners who don't necessarily want to parent, and Toevs and Brill make some interesting comments about lesbians having longer labour due to the fact that lesbians are used to going against the status quo, and thus not giving in to labour -- or something like that. There's more too. I don't want to say that people shouldn't refer to these books at all, just to take it all with a grain of salt. Obviously if some people find them useful, they've got some good stuff going for them. And the more than 1 insemination is one that has worked for many people -- it's a fight I continue to battle in my relationship & with the clinic.)
Sorry for my wee rant.

: for everyone still trying
Old 06-07-2006, 03:24 PM

I'm reading a bunch of stuff, and trying very hard to take what's good and leave the rest behind.

Yay library!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleW
Oh, and yes, I own that book. And the other one too -- trying to remember if that is the Toevs & Brill book, or the Rachel Pepper book. I should note that both books are problematic, whether it is the way they talk to their audience (Pepper seems to write more for single lesbians, or lesbians with partners who don't necessarily want to parent, and Toevs and Brill make some interesting comments about lesbians having longer labour due to the fact that lesbians are used to going against the status quo, and thus not giving in to labour -- or something like that. There's more too. I don't want to say that people shouldn't refer to these books at all, just to take it all with a grain of salt. Obviously if some people find them useful, they've got some good stuff going for them. And the more than 1 insemination is one that has worked for many people -- it's a fight I continue to battle in my relationship & with the clinic.)
I don't think I even read anything from the Toevs and Brill book about pregnancy/birth, but I found the fertility, and insemination-timing information to be the most comprehensive of any of the "donor insemination" or "lesbian conception" books. I thought the Rachel Pepper book was completely useless and not at all helpful.

Why doesn't your partner want to do more than one insemination a month? If it's for financial reasons, I would suggest you do two inseminations every other month, and take every other month off. The friends I have who have done only one insemination a month have taken a year or longer (or ended up doing IVF) before they got pregnant. Show him the studies, I bet you would save money in the long run. And if your nurse will not do more than one insemination a month, I'd look for a different clinic, they obviously aren't up on the info. where you're going!

Hopefully, none of this will matter, and you'll conceive your precious babe this month anyway!

Lex

Old 06-08-2006, 02:09 AM

Thanks, Lex!
In terms of clinics, there are only 2 in Vancouver, 3 in British Columbia. I will take your info to my partner. He said he wanted to try a couple only 1/month, and then maybe more. So, yeah, while it hopefully works this month, I am hoping that if it doesn't that we can start doing more than 1 a month, and maybe go at it every couple of months.
I know that both books are well-respected in particular groups, and not well liked in others. I was figuring people would take stuff with a grain of salt, but from talking with other queer couples who've read one or the other, it seems cause we are trying really hard, that we also listen to stuff even though it doesn't make sense to -- which can even be me doing only 1 insem/month. Grrrr...

In any case, I am glad we have each other as resources too!
take care!

User Tag List