lesbian mums ttc or pregnant roll call - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#121 of 228 Old 07-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we're starting our 5th cycle, and can't afford anymore sperm after this -- so need lots of dust too!

: for everyone!
#122 of 228 Old 07-20-2006, 09:43 PM

May all who are trying to concieve be blessed with lashing of baby dust and truckloads of love.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#123 of 228 Old 07-21-2006, 12:05 AM

Thought I'd check in here with an update. Things are looking very good in our first two-week wait (which officially becomes a three-week wait tomorrow). I'm scheduled for a blood draw tomorrow and Monday, so we'll have definitive news then, if not before.

I'm very hopeful!
#124 of 228 Old 07-21-2006, 12:56 AM

Lots and lots of luck and love and blessings to all ...

: I am a woman of faith; a mother; a writer. :
#125 of 228 Old 07-21-2006, 02:51 AM

A round of babydust to everyone! Not that we really have any to spare. We're halfway through our 8th wait. Don't think I'll believe it if we ever see those two pink lines.

Frog, how come you have two blood tests scheduled already? We now get a beta done each month, but only because we have to know if Sacha should stop taking the progesterone or not.

Michelle, will this be your last attempt ever or just time for a break? Hope you get your BFP and don't have to worry about that answer.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#126 of 228 Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 AM

Megan, it'll be our last attempt for a bit. We'll have to re-evaluate our plan, and our finances. I am hoping to start on my PhD next fall, but won't if pregnant. We have to figure out if we'll try or not, for then. My partner thinks pregnancy is most important, but if I am offered $$$ to go, it'd be hard to say 'no'! (as I wasn't offered $$$ this year, and have thus delayed going -- and finishing my Masters, no less ) We just feel defeated now, and I think that has to do with our finances, and the other changes in our lives. (My partner had his first shot of T last week. That in itself isn't defeating at all, but adjusting to the changes is something we have to get used to.) Also, while he says it (getting preggers) is up to fate, I feel he is blaming me a bit, and really stressing me -- which I tell him certainly doesn't help the situation -- and we just need a break (in 'trying') to re-group, and be better to ourselves. kwim. That said, we are really, really hoping it'll work this time, and we won't need to deal with what we will do next!
Make sense?

: so hard for you, Megan & Sacha, and Frog & Turtle too!
#127 of 228 Old 07-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Frog, how come you have two blood tests scheduled already? We now get a beta done each month, but only because we have to know if Sacha should stop taking the progesterone or not.
I called and told the nurse what was going on--high temps, longest cycle since I've been charting (15 cycles), some symptoms, and no sign of my period (I generally spot for a few days before full-on bleeding), as well as two (at that time, now it's three) negative HPTs and the fact that I never got a positive OPK.

The nurse consulted with the midwives, and called me back to tell me they were sending me for two blood draws to see what that shows.

Maybe it's my age? (I'm 35.) Maybe they're not used to patients who've got all this background information? Maybe people generally don't call and ask? I have no idea, but I'm going with it.
#128 of 228 Old 07-21-2006, 03:35 PM

sounds good frog. At least you'll have a clear answer. The limbo is no fun. Did you have today's beta yet? When will you get the results? : for you!

Michelle, : tight for you too. I do hear you on all the stress of ttc, especially financial and in addition to all of the other big changes and stress in your home.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#129 of 228 Old 07-21-2006, 10:37 PM

I went in for the blood draw around 9:15. I asked them how long it would be before I had results and the response was "within a week." :

Their turn-around time has been good on other things, so I hope to hear something about today's on Monday, and on Monday's on Tuesday.
#130 of 228 Old 07-24-2006, 12:23 AM

I won't do the draw tomorrow--started bleeding this morning, so we're back to CD 1. :
#131 of 228 Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 AM

my thoguhts are so with you, frog
#132 of 228 Old 07-25-2006, 04:44 PM

Hi -
My name is Franny. My partner and I live in Houston, and we're happy to say today we are eight weeks pregnant. We heard the baby's heartbeat today, and we got some sonograms that look a little like Bjork staring out a window. (Needless to say that's not what we're supposed to be seeing, but a sonogram is a little like a puffy cloud, you can see anything you like.)

I'm 37, so I'm a little old to be doing this, but so far I feel great and I have no negative symptoms at all, save a real craving for whole milk. Happy to be here and happy to be PG!
#133 of 228 Old 07-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Yay Franny!
#134 of 228 Old 07-25-2006, 07:19 PM

Congrats Franny!
I know many a queer parent that is older than you, so don't you be thinking you are too old!
Just enjoy what you have!
Hope you have a healthy & happy pregnancy!
Congrats again to you & your partner!
#135 of 228 Old 07-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Congrat's Franny
Frog here you fairy dust. Boy i know i needed it when i was trying good luck for this cycle
#136 of 228 Old 07-28-2006, 07:02 PM

hi
i just joined mdc
i am 35 and pregnant with twins (gonal-f/lupron 2 IUIs california cryo)
we had tried for a year and had a miscarriage last june.
i am currently 23w6d and on bedrest. 3 weeks ago i was in the hospital in ptl and am home on a terbutaline pump.
my partner jeani and i are also raising her 9 yr old daughter, mia.
#137 of 228 Old 07-29-2006, 12:08 AM

Welcome lizardjee!
Hope the bedrest keeps your well.
Glad to have successful ttc queer folk!
#138 of 228 Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 AM

Welcome Franny and Jeri!

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#139 of 228 Old 07-29-2006, 04:28 AM

Um, see our siggy line.

#140 of 228 Old 07-29-2006, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan sacha
Um, see our siggy line.
wow wow wow
amazing
i'm thrilled for you both
congratulations!!!:

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#141 of 228 Old 07-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Woohoo!

Megan & Sacha, I couldn't be more thrilled for you!
#142 of 228 Old 07-29-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

congratulations megan and sacha
and congrats to the others who are preggie now too! Franny and Jeri !!

Such an exciting time........ and what a journey!!!

Frog and Michelle, sending lots of sticky baby making vibes your way

#143 of 228 Old 07-29-2006, 03:57 PM

Congratulations, Megan and Sacha!

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#144 of 228 Old 08-17-2006, 07:10 PM

Hi, this is my first post, but I wanted to add myself to the list of lesbians TTC. I'm Meredith and my wife and I are going to be TTC in October. My DW has always wanted to be pregnant and I have always wanted to be a mother, so it's a win-win situation. I'm sure you'll see more posts from us in the future, so thanks in advance for being kind to a newbie.

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
#145 of 228 Old 08-17-2006, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the congrats everyone and welcome to gamitzer!

Hooray also to Franny and Jeri, you're only about a month ahead of us!

#146 of 228 Old 09-02-2006, 01:47 AM

Hi all,
We are ttc starting during my October cycle. I've been charting for over a year and everything looks fine. I have strong ovulation signs almost every month. My ob/gyn and the sperm bank recommended that I start using OPKs for the months leading up to our first insem. So I've been trying to use them but I'm not getting a positive. My ovulation signs were still there, strong as ever. Since we are doing at home insem my ob/gyn isn't really much help. She just tells me to try insem at home anyway and call her when I'm ready to do IUI in office.
Does anyone have any advice on OPKs? Any reassuring stories of people who didn't get a pos OPK and still get pregnant?

yona

Queer poly family trying since October 2006. Currently using a known donor and no medical interventions.
#147 of 228 Old 09-02-2006, 11:12 AM

Twylight, I can't see your chart. Can you post a link to it? I do know that for some, OPKs just don't work well. But, I do have a couple of questions. Are you doing them more than once a day? If not, you may want to do this. Are you holding your urine/water for 4 hours before? Are you testing midday-evening? FMU isn't a good time to test. Are you using fresh or frozen sperm? If it's fresh, the timing isn't as critical but with frozen timing becomes more critical.

#148 of 228 Old 09-02-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylightdove
Does anyone have any advice on OPKs? Any reassuring stories of people who didn't get a pos OPK and still get pregnant?
One really important piece of advice about OPKs is that there's only ONE brand that is reliable. You need to use Clearplan/Clearblue Easy if you haven't been already. There was a study done not long ago that compared all of the different brands, and while Clearplan/Clearblue was 90% accurate, the other brands were 20% accurate or less. Do a search in the ttc forum for OPK, and the thread should come up. I think it was called something like "OPK users, please read."

You should also be testing at least twice a day, and keep on testing after your CM dries up just in case. I wasn't getting a positive on an OPK, and so I had blood work done and it turned out that I wasn't ovulating despite my ovulation signs. I ended up taking clomid, and conceived our twins. When it came time to ttc #3, I still wasn't ovulating despite signs, but we did lots of intense acupuncture instead of clomid, and conceived our singleton on the third unmedicated try.

Good luck!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#149 of 228 Old 09-02-2006, 12:26 PM

Thank you for all the info. I'm going to change a lot of how I do it next cycle.

Megan: I don't think I loaded my chart correctly and I've been so busy I haven't been able to transfer this last few months from paper to text. I've been doing it twice daily. I can't seem to hold it for four hours. I tend to go every two hours or so. I was testing 8am (not fmu for me) and 2pm. I'm doing at home frozen insem. Due to cost I'm planning on only doing one vial for the first couple months.

Lex: Thanks for the info on the brand. Just by chance I am using Clearblue since they were selling them at Costco. I'll stick with them now. I heard that acu had really helped a lot of people with fertility. I get acu once a week.

I realized something after I posted. I drink a lot of liquid. I'm talking at least 64 oz of water daily plus, 2 cups of fertility blend tea, one cup of decaf coffee and sometimes a Blue Sky cola. (I use have a caffine problem so the decaf coffee and natural cola helps keep me 'on the wagon'.) I cut down to just water on my test days but really didn't keep track of how much water. It is such a habit for me to keep filling up my bottle whenever it is empty. I'm betting if I paid attention I would have found that I drank more water to make up for the missing tea/coffee/soda. I suppose my first step to get a pos I must first put the water bottle away!

Queer poly family trying since October 2006. Currently using a known donor and no medical interventions.
#150 of 228 Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 PM

While the water drinking is GREAT, you may have to hold off a bit to get a valid test result. Sacha didn't drink water for the 4 hours before testing....I think this is more important than holding your pee. And of course, you want to drink a lot of water to increase CM when ttc, so it ca surely be a bit of a pain in the *ss. She would just try start drinking a lot of water after testing. I would recommend testing later than 8am, maybe at 12pm and 8pm or so. In most women, the LH surge isn't detected in urine until at least 12pm, so the 8am testing you're doing may be detecting a surge that started the day before.

Oh, one more question. Are you doing IVIs or IUIs? If you're doing IVIs, the sperm will probably live about 24 hours, so you can do the insem a bit earlier. With IUI, they may only live 8 hours. Also, Toevs and Brill recommend doing more than one insem per cycle so strongly that they think you would be better off doing 2+ vials every other month and then skipping the other months if you can't afford 2 vials every month. This would just increase the window of opportunity.

I would disagree with what Lex said on only using clearblue easy OPKs. I haven't seen the study, but we only used CBE the last two months and they really confused us since we were used to the pink lined ones (Target or other generic. I think they're made by Inverness). Anyway, I would say the pink lined ones were much easier for us to read and when we're ready for #2 I think we'll go back to those. There's something about the blue lines just being harder to read for us and the others always worked perfectly.

I do think it would be great if you could get the OPKs to work for you so that you can start to see a pattern as to how long after a positive you usually ovulate. This of course varies from woman to woman and can even vary each cycle a bit. This will give you an idea how how long after a positive you should inseminate.

If you look at our chart, you can see we did the IUI the day before O since we were expecting O a day sooner.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page