chest binding while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi,
i'm currently breastfeeding my 14-month-old and have put chest binding on the shelf since my pregnancy (because of the tenderness, then to avoid plugged ducts). i miss it, tho, and am wondering if i have to wait before he's totally weaned to bind again. i assume it would make a difference how much we're nursing and how i bind, but i don't have any real info on this. is there anyone here with any experience or other knowlegdge about this? thanks
#2 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 01:31 PM

I don't usually visit this forum because I'm not bi or gay, but your title caught my attention from the list. As an LLL leader, the only thing that stands out is that by binding your breasts, you are potentially opening yourself up to plugged ducts and possibly mastitis. I am thinking of women who wear tight bras that tend to have this problem, so I'm sure it would apply to you as well. I would tread carefully in this situation until you are through lactating and ESPECIALLY if you have been prone to these problems in the past.
#3 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 07:38 PM

I would also advise caution. I got mastitis only once, when my dc was 18 mos old. But it was awful - painful & scary. I'm only now getting back into drag with binding, and we weaned a year ago ( I still have some milk though). Taking it verry easy/slow. How about clothing options that mask your chest? Are those any use for you? I'm small enough that things like vests can sometimes go a long way as far as external looks go.
#4 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 07:45 PM

Hey, I don't really know, but I know chest binding is often used as a way to decrease or stop milk supply. How often would you bind? For how long? How tightly?

Those would be things I'd consider. I'd try loose for a short duration and see what happens, personally. I betcha there is no research on this coz out-of-the-closet queer parenting in large numbers is a fairly new phenomenon. I'm interested to know though.
#5 of 5 Old 12-23-2005, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies--and so quickly too.

i was planning to wait until my babe was going longer between nursing sessions, then trying it again on a night out (a night out--imagine....), but it sounds like it could be risky. hmmm....well, i guess i'll be making up for lost drag time later ok, back to my toddler: he's emptied out the drawers and is looking for more to do....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page