Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2006, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
I don't think that this is homophobia on the part of MDC - but unclear guidelines that make it hard for the mods to act in a unilateral manner across all forums.

To be clear, I think it would be homophobic to change the rules over here with out attention to the unfiar application of those rules and the extent to which monogamous and hetero relationships are being discussed. I really appreciate you not changing things here until it is all worked out and your efforts to bring these issues to the attention of the PTB. Thank you for your work.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 11:27 PM

I usually stay away from submissiveness threads of the "biblical" variety because they tend to be written by biblical situational literalists, and I deal with enough of those IRL who go by "pastor says the bible means this" or "paul was dealing with ALL women, that Eunice stuff was added by the catholics" theories... :blech: ukey: but I may have to go check it out just for a frame of reference as to what everyone is talking about..

Adina. BTDT on the mod thing back when On line par ents was still around. and a couple other places off and on since then. Yours is a job I do not envy... Applying equal rule to all when there are a dozen or so people interpreting the rules for a hundred plus sub forums is a royal *word we can't use* I appreciated the work you are doing to see this through in our best intrests...
Old 02-25-2006, 06:28 PM

uh okay, now i see the problem. there is a thread called "the dating thread" elsewhere in a parenting forum. i've never lurked in that forum, it just popped up as the most recent thread in "Parenting Issues."

this is a tough one, no doubt about it. i'm actually not sure why queer dating threads would make anyone uncomfortable
Old 02-25-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshollyk
i'm actually not sure why queer dating threads would make anyone uncomfortable
Yeah, I don't get it either.
I can see if any threads in the queer forum or elsewhere on the boards were sordid descriptions of late-night rendezvous or how to guides on extra-marital affairs. But dating does not=sex, and people in non-monogomous relationships or relationships of any kind, need to constantly take care to find and maintain a balance between their adult relationships and those with their kids. This includes adult relationships with co-workers, extended family, neighbours, government, friends, romantic partners etc.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:50 PM

Maybe it goes back to the conservative nature of these boards someone mentioned earlier: there is an unstated belief that parents should be partnered, preferably monogamously and preferably heterosexually. If you're not partnered, you should be in the Single Parenting board talking about trying how to get partnered ("the dating thread" mentioned by mshollyk).

I hang out in the Single Parents forum sometimes but if I wanted to talk about dating I don't think I'd do it there because most of the posts are about heterosexual dating and I'm not sure how they'd react to me -- probably just fine, but I'd feel more comfortable doing so here. And I think it should be okay.

AdinaL mentioned there's no way Peggy O will not reconsider her stance on no sex talk on these boards. That's fine. I don't think any of us are arguing that we should have that. But to say our topics should be restricted to Parenting would mean shutting down many, many threads in almost every forum.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:52 AM

Hi - I only read to page 6, got a fussy todd and wanted to put my foot in before I had to leave tonight - I voted real quick before I saw that this thread had evolved into a 10 page debate. . .I am bi equal, married to a man, happy in my marriage. . .my best friend all through high school was a gay man, and now all my friends are straight and fairly conservative - I mostly lurk in the "Queer Parenting (families?)" area to remind myself of my connection to the queer community and encourage if I can. I think Adina is doing a great job as a mod and I always look foreward to skimming the threads here.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:23 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
I am 100% heterosexual for me love my hubby! however i support everything

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:45 PM

Whether or not the rules at MDC are applied fairly, and whether or not I personally like them (no and no : ), I don't think it is THAT hard to figure out what threads belong here according to those rules.

1. Is it about a parenting/family issue?
and
2. Is it related to being queer?

If those two conditions aren't met, the thread doesn't meet the standard and doesn't belong here.

I'd love it if MDC were more open, and I sympathize with letting threads fly under the radar. Perhaps if everyone were getting along better it wouldn't be such a big deal, but the sniping and the exclusion are making this forum a drag.

We shouldn't be getting mad at each other for the restrictions that MDC places on us. This is NOT a lesbian discussion forum, or even a queer discussion forum. This isn't a forum about alternative lifestyles. This is a forum to talk about the intersection of AP/NFL and queerness. We all have to share this space, and acknowledge the limitations MDC expects. I almost said respect, but I don't actually respect them.

My heart is shouting "Burn it all down!" with Thismama, but I'm saving my lighter for another time and place.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:54 PM

Unhappily married? If you are married to a man and leaning more towards women... why don't you just get a divorce? It would be the best for everyone involved. The kids wouldn't have to see their mom unhappy and dad can have a relationship that he is happy in too.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Um, that isn't the most helpful comment, nor does it really apply to this thread.

Let's be gentle with one another and refrain from judgements.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 03-28-2006, 10:58 PM

Dechen--- if you don't want to hear/read this thread then why are you here? You don't have to go into threads.. and isn't it wasting your time to go in and critize someone in a forum that you don't even belong in? Its like those people who go looking for a fight. If this isn't what you want to read then you may by all rights go somewhere where you feel more comfortable. Because this is a place to talk about issues that have to do with family.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Whoa. Stop.

I don't know what is going on - but if there are personal issues - take it to PM. This thread IS NOT the place for it it. AT ALL.

Please, take it off the boards.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 03-29-2006, 02:07 AM

Huh?

I'm equal parts confused and hurt.

I have no idea about any personal issues, but being told I don't belong in here is pretty ouchy. And in some ways proves my point - why do we need to do this to each other? Our energy is better spent supporting each other and fighting for our rights. The last thing I'm looking for is a fight in here.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:14 AM
Administrator

You belong here. And I agree, the poiint of this thread was to solve some of the issues that were making people not feel welcome, not to make them worse.

User Tag List