Need help with Presentation for Class - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,
I am taking a class on culture and diversity in early childhood education and we are doing group presentation on different areas of bias and how they affect children in early childhood settings. I am in a group doing a presentation of Heterosexism and wanted to get some first hand perspective from parents on how that has affected you and your children for those of you who have your children in childcare or school of any kind focusing on children up to the age of 8.

What ways does heterosexism affect Early Childhood education programs, including teachers and children?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, if you also know of any video clips, recent research, children's book, books for adults on the topic, commonly asked questions

I want to get some first hand experience of the bias you or your children have encountered, stories your children have told you, reactions of teachers anything you feel would serve people planning to become early childhood educators to know to combat heterosexist bias.

Thank you so much in advance for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momatheart23
Hi Mamas,
I am taking a class on culture and diversity in early childhood education and we are doing group presentation on different areas of bias and how they affect children in early childhood settings. I am in a group doing a presentation of Heterosexism and wanted to get some first hand perspective from parents on how that has affected you and your children for those of you who have your children in childcare or school of any kind focusing on children up to the age of 8.

What ways does heterosexism affect Early Childhood education programs, including teachers and children?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, if you also know of any video clips, recent research, children's book, books for adults on the topic, commonly asked questions

I want to get some first hand experience of the bias you or your children have encountered, stories your children have told you, reactions of teachers anything you feel would serve people planning to become early childhood educators to know to combat heterosexist bias.

Thank you so much in advance for any information.
Cool. I used to do anti-homophobia education, but it's been a long time, so I'm not that up to date on current resources. A few areas come to mind, however:

1. Be sensitive in celebrating holidays, such as Mother's Day and Father's Day. Allow the children to make gifts for whomever in their life might be appropriate (ask the parents/guardians.) Not just for children from queer families, but other children in non-traditional families - being raised by grandparents, in foster care, etc. At my center, for Father's Day, we asked that my daughter make a craft for her Grandfather, for example.

2. Have books that show diversity in family composition (including adoptive families, multi-racial families, single parent families, etc.)

3. Make sure the language in enrollment forms and other forms are inclusive ("parent/guardian" instead of "Mother's Name...Father's Name")

4. Allow for diversity in imaginative toys - i.e. dollhouses with multiple family figures (not just Mommy-Daddy-children)

Hope this gets the ball rolling...

User Tag List