Transporting fresh donor sperm? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyKP View Post
Yes! And I'm still so fascinated to read all the options. I'll have to go back and re-read siggies to see who got pg.

Well, I did, for one! I used that airplane ticket as advised on this thread.
#32 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Well, I did, for one!
yay!!
#33 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 01:29 PM

i have to travel a lot for work and where i live our home airport is serviced by Southwest Airlines.

They have a great policy where you can cancel your flight up to right beforehand and get the whole amount you paid as a credit!! So if you and your donor both live in /near Southwest Airlines cities, you could book for when you think you'll do it but then be able to switch it around if you need to -- yes the rates go up if it is closer to the time of travel, but you don't pay any penalties for switching...

they don't go to canada though. but they do go to a few places near the border... I'm not sure if there are other airlines with similar policies.

JD
#34 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

That's great! Also within the US domestic flights are pretty darn cheap and can be booked last minute (although the rates go up). This is not so true for Canada but a great option for within the US.
#35 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Huh, this is wild! I had no idea transporting sperm was this accessible.

The websites don't mention cost. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what it would cost? I'm thinking to transport pretty faaaar... from the southern States to Canada.
We do this - we ship our KD's sperm overnight from CA. It runs about $100 for the kit and another $100 for the shipment. Of course we do two shipments a month...I cannot guarantee it works...as we have only tried this twice so far. Our midwife checked the sperm last time and they seemed pretty lively. She is going to get a better microscope - she used a fertility lens last time! Ha!Ha! Should have seen us trying to make sure the sperm did not drip back into our eyes...yuck!

Oh yeah - we use NW Cryobank... http://www.nwcryobank.com/

Check it out - the sperm is shipped - unfrozen, but cooled with ice packs. It is placed in Test Yolk...or something...
#36 of 43 Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Is it legal to ship fresh sperm across the Canada/US border? And if it is, does the substance that is used to extend the sperm make it unsuitable for at-home ICI?

Our known donor is flying here in March, but then is unavailable for travel back to Canada until July. I was thinking that shipping fresh might be useful in between.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#37 of 43 Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
Is it legal to ship fresh sperm across the Canada/US border? And if it is, does the substance that is used to extend the sperm make it unsuitable for at-home ICI?

Our known donor is flying here in March, but then is unavailable for travel back to Canada until July. I was thinking that shipping fresh might be useful in between.
I never did find out about transporting over the border. Can you fly to him? I don't know how close you live to the border but US domestic flights are teh cheap.
#38 of 43 Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 PM

I'm not that far from the border, no, but the issue is that he is going to be at various conferences around the country in April, May, and June, so us going to him won't be possible either. I can't go without DS because DP has to work, and if we all went together I'm not sure that even a domestic flight would be a lot cheaper than him flying up.

Alas.

Perhaps if it doesn't work in March we're just destined to wait until July.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#39 of 43 Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... well I definitely don't KNOW that you cant transport over the border. Maybe ask a fertility doc who does donor insems at a clinic?
#40 of 43 Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM

Yep, I suppose I may well have to. Of course, maybe it'll work first try again this time!

#41 of 43 Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM

Hmm, there was some discussion about this on the Queer TTC thread a month of so ago. I know that a few people have used something called "Overnight Male" (I kid you not) and had good experiences with it. Maybe try posting on Queer TTC and see if people have thoughts...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#42 of 43 Old 01-23-2008, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
"Overnight Male" (I kid you not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
Yep, I suppose I may well have to. Of course, maybe it'll work first try again this time!
Fingers crossed for you, lemurmommies!!!
#43 of 43 Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Fingers crossed for you, lemurmommies!!!
Thank you! KD just sent us his flight info for March. I can't believe we're getting ready to do this all over again.

And AngelaM, I'll definitely look into "Overnight Male" if March is a bust and we want to try again before July.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page