Transporting fresh donor sperm? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 09-15-2006, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this possible to do?

I have a friend whose partner may be willing to donate me some of the good stuff, but I'd have to get it from the southern States to here (I'm in Canada).

Has anyone done this? I imagine it would have to be frozen and thawed. Can this be done by an "amateur," or is this why we pay the sperm banks the big bucks?
#2 of 43 Old 09-15-2006, 11:57 AM

oh, I wish I could remember the name of the term for doing this. There's a company that will send you the packaging and you can use their stuff to send it semi-frozen, or something like that, so you just use it pretty much right away to inseminate. It's not through a sperm bank, so you don't need to do the whole quarantine period or anything. Let me do a bit of searching.......we considered this, but it definitely is expensive.......

good luck!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#3 of 43 Old 09-15-2006, 12:03 PM

aha! found it!

http://www.arssales.com/equine/html/epm-bioflite.html

There's a similar company called BioTranz, but I can't get the weblink to work.

take care,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#4 of 43 Old 09-16-2006, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you very much! I'm gonna check out that info.
#5 of 43 Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 AM

Here's the BioTranz link:

http://www.zdlinc.com/ship.html
#6 of 43 Old 09-17-2006, 12:11 PM

Fed Ex is who some dykes I met in Texas used.
#7 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Huh, this is wild! I had no idea transporting sperm was this accessible.

The websites don't mention cost. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what it would cost? I'm thinking to transport pretty faaaar... from the southern States to Canada.
#8 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 12:11 PM

This is great!

I have been looking into this for a couple of clients of mine (I am a homebirth midwife who also does fertility work). We were looking into using the Overnight Male system which is offered by the andrology labs at the University of Illiniois at Chicago.

Overnight Male uses a preservative buffer to help sperm live 24 hours without chilling. It has to be removed before insemination (by washing).

Overnight Male is pretty cheap -- I think it was $30 or so for the buffer and the postage paid shipping. I would think it might be a lot more to go to Canada, though. Perhaps you could have it shipped to a friend across the border and go pick it up?

I would guess that the buffer that is added to these frozen products might also need to be removed by sperm washing. You would need to get the help of someone with a centrifuge and sperm-washing chemicals if that were the case. All frozen sperm has chemicals added to it to prevent the sperm by being crushed by ice crystals, but some of it does not need to be removed before insemination.

It isn't really clear from the website whether or not it is necessary to remove the buffer. Many companies like this will only recommend that their products be used for IUIs to cover their butts -- the process that washes sperm for IUIs also kills bacteria and some viruses, so the fresh sperm becomes less likely to be infectious. So, they will recommend washing for that reason and not because the buffer actually needs to be removed.

I would love to hear what you find out. This is cool!

p.s. I am happy to answer any technical q's about insemination -- to the best of my ability! PM me if there is anything you need to know.

Take care,

Stacia

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#9 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I've done DIY insem before (how I got my almost 3 year old daughter ). The shipping idea is what is new to me. I'm hoping to just get my friend to "make" the goods, iykwim, put em in the package, they show up in my mail, I do DIY insem at home. No expensive medical assistance.

I wonder if that is doable. Maybe I should call the companies...
#10 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Fed Ex is who some dykes I met in Texas used
I used to ship horse semen through FED EX. It would come in a regular cardboard box- inside was a Styrofoam cooler thing and ice packs.. just make sure the cool packs aren't to close to the sperm. If you think it might take the package more than a day to get there you would want to look into a semen extender which will protect and nourish the semen in transit.
#11 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 12:40 PM

Looks like BioTranz is $200, including U.S. shipping.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#12 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 PM

Yeah, BioTranz and the other are EXPENSIVE, and I think they have a limited capacity. We were looking into it but found flying our donor out to us to be cheaper! But, if you don't really know the donor, that is probably not an option. I'd really see how much you could fit in one package, see how long the semen can last with the extender, hopefully you could get one package that would take you through 2-3 insems.

Good luck!
megin

#13 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo View Post
I used to ship horse semen through FED EX. It would come in a regular cardboard box- inside was a Styrofoam cooler thing and ice packs.. just make sure the cool packs aren't to close to the sperm. If you think it might take the package more than a day to get there you would want to look into a semen extender which will protect and nourish the semen in transit.
We used to use a similar method to ship bull semen. (My daddy was a cattle rancher.)

I would suggest dry ice in a freezer bag, rather than ice packs.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#14 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 05:05 PM

In the surrogacy world BioFlite and BioTranz are popular HOWEVER! they must be shipped overnight! it only lasts for like 36 hours total. Shipping from Southern US to Canada might be a problem. There could be a customs issue.

MY Intended Father's sent frozen sperm from a reputable sperm bank in Europe to me in Alaska. It was sent DXL? and everything was by the book..........except someone at customs in NY got a wild hair up their butt and kept it there for 2 freaken weeks! They even opended the sealed container and ruined $5000 worth of frozen sperm.

I would say your best bet, if this Donor is a friend, would be to fly there or him to you. Fresh is the best and you can insem for 2 -4 days.........way better then attemping it with cooled shipped sperm.
#15 of 43 Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 PM

Feel free to PM me. I have a ton of info about Biotranz/Bioflite and how to do it so the sperm don't die. Luckily we didn't get to the point of needing to use it, as we got pregnant our second try and were able to fly to our donor. Keep in mind the cost b/c Biotranz is very expensive. Bioflite - if you call the company the woman who answers the phone is very nice and their shippers are *much* cheaper and they will sell you as much Human TYB (test yolk buffer) as you want - you *have* to have the human stuff. Biotranz will only sell you two vials and then you have to buy a whole other overpriced shipper.

The shipping has to be overnight, and I recommend the priority overnight so it's guaranteed before 9am or whatever. Plus, your donor MUST do the latest drop off time possible. It can get expensive - two insems a month via shipped semen ended up being more than flying both DW and I to NYC where our donor lives, and given the fact that shipping semen must be done exactly right (cooling the sperm, etc) and it's expensive, we choose to just fly. Something to consider if you or donor can actually meet up.

Good luck!!
#16 of 43 Old 09-21-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

I would say your best bet, if this Donor is a friend, would be to fly there or him to you. Fresh is the best and you can insem for 2 -4 days.........way better then attemping it with cooled shipped sperm.

I don't know that shipping fresh sperm would work. Sperm banks freeze sperm in stages, getting progressively colder until the vials sit in liquid nitrogen. It all has to be done very carefully and specifically, or else the sperm will die. Fresh sperm starts to die right away. I don't think shipping it in dry ice would do anything to preserve sperm.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#17 of 43 Old 09-22-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggles View Post

I don't know that shipping fresh sperm would work. Sperm banks freeze sperm in stages, getting progressively colder until the vials sit in liquid nitrogen. It all has to be done very carefully and specifically, or else the sperm will die. Fresh sperm starts to die right away. I don't think shipping it in dry ice would do anything to preserve sperm.
Meggles - it's possible, but you have to cool the sperm, *not* freeze it. So not dry ice - that would be too cold. You mix the sperm with a buffer for it to live on during shipping. Not as good as fresh, but better than frozen. A lot of surrogates have used this method to get pregnant, and as other posters have said, lots of vets and people with animals use it for inseminations.
#18 of 43 Old 09-22-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadoula View Post
Meggles - it's possible, but you have to cool the sperm, *not* freeze it. So not dry ice - that would be too cold. You mix the sperm with a buffer for it to live on during shipping. Not as good as fresh, but better than frozen. A lot of surrogates have used this method to get pregnant, and as other posters have said, lots of vets and people with animals use it for inseminations.
now I never said a LOT of surrogates get pregnant this way just that it was popular.
Most try for months with biotranz and eventually go for fresh or IUI's

It does work just not as well as we would like.
#19 of 43 Old 09-25-2006, 10:11 PM

How exciting Thismama!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#20 of 43 Old 10-01-2006, 08:35 PM

Hello all, Amanda here...

my partner Kate and I are TTC and because our guy is out-of-state and it is very difficult to get our schedules together, we are considering this BioTranz/Biofreeze stuff

Has anyone tried it and if so actually conceived??

Thanks for any input
A&K
#21 of 43 Old 10-03-2006, 09:20 PM

yes, people have done this and did conceive but it is not very reliable and shipping is very $$$.

Fresh is best.
#22 of 43 Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the FYI, everyone.
#23 of 43 Old 10-07-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
yes, people have done this and did conceive but it is not very reliable and shipping is very $$$.

Fresh is best.
its got to be cheaper than a flight booked 2 days before??
#24 of 43 Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandakate View Post
its got to be cheaper than a flight booked 2 days before??
I know! That's what I was thinking! And even if it costs $200-300, that's a lot cheaper than the local sperm bank where I live.

Not reliable tho... now that would be a major roadblock.
#25 of 43 Old 10-07-2006, 11:41 AM

Also, keep in mind that companies like FedEx charge huge brokerage fees for getting your items through customs. It's usually in the $60-$100 range, even for a small package. And since you can't rely on customs to put the package through in a timely fashion, it could be problematic. Get a plane ticket!
#26 of 43 Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Aw, man. That sucks.
#27 of 43 Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 AM

:
hi girls
look, i need some help. am considering AI in order to have a child with my partner, who has v low sperm count due to a sporting injury. i have a child already with my ex-husband, so hoping i am ok.

i don't like all this buffering and anonymity with frozen clinic sperm, so am looking into a fresh donation, as it were. but what about the turkey-basting? i don't like the sound of it at all!!!!!!!! please can someone who knows how to do it tell me what we should do? i really don't like that bit about not getting any air in the teat pipette or whatever we use, because then it might kill me.
jeez. this all seems so scary. such a pity that after 7 years of very persistent trying, my partner and i just couldn't do this.

also, i am terrified of another delivery as traumatic as my first - but maybe that's another post. (what do you do if you're so scared?)

thanks guys for anything useful you can think of to help me.

jxx
#28 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 01:34 AM

I would highly advice against using the Biotranz Express or anything from ZDL or Zavos. He is overpriced and downright unethical, IMHO

There are much better (and cheaper) alternative products out there.

NW CryoBank has a much more affordable and reliable solution. Google them.
#29 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Whoa, this thread is a blast from the past!
#30 of 43 Old 01-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Whoa, this thread is a blast from the past!
Yes! And I'm still so fascinated to read all the options. I'll have to go back and re-read siggies to see who got pg.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page