advice if you can!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-09-2003, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the deal.....

Our kids have always been around gay couples,Bi, transgender couples and familes. Until they reached the age of maybe 10-12 they didn't know thaty anyone in society thought anything negative about being gay, Bi , transgender..( we homeschool and they have attended many gay festivals...we lived in New Orleans for years)

Our almost 10 year old daughter has now reached that point and came home in tears last night after playing with a child up the street. ( she will not play there again!!!)

Sabri (dd3) has multiple close little friends who have two mommies, two daddies. dads who dress in drag...... She also has special adults in her life who are gay,Bi , transgender... we visit one of two gay sanctuaries at least 2/3 times per month... She has one good little friend who lives at one...

It seems this child she played with yesterday informed Sabri that "gays" were going to hell because her"granny" said so...

Now ,sabri doesnt fall for any of this bull shit, she is just upset that this little friend would say anything about the people she cares so much about...(she is very sensitive)

We talked to her last night, even her "uncles" who live next door spoke with her. I thought she was OK with it all but now she is awake, roaming the house and as mad as hell.

She said she is waitng for this little girl to get home from school and she is going to go talk to her................

I am mad as hell that she is having to work through this....

Should I say something to this little girls parents ( redneck, big truck driving, rebel flag waving) or should I just leave it alone and let Sabri deal with it in her own way. I don't want her to even talk to this kid again, Ms. Sabri has other plans....

I guess I just needed to vent and I have found that MDC is a great place for that......

Peace to all,
Granolamom
#2 of 7 Old 05-09-2003, 12:32 PM

I think it's wonderful that your little girl wants to stand up for what she believes in at such a young age! Sure, the other girl may not listen/believe her, but I think that if your dd is set on saying something she should. Too many times we allow ourselves to stay quiet when we know we won't change someone's mind, but in my opinion staying quiet just adds to the ignorance. What a wonderful child you have!
#3 of 7 Old 05-15-2003, 10:01 PM

I agree! I'd encourage her to speak her mind, but warn her that others have ideas that likewise are strong, so not to be surprised if they don't/won't agree with her and argue etc. She may have to "agree to disagree", and reach a peace in that manner, without compromising her actual beliefs. Bless you for realizing and living that gay folks are just people who happen to be gay I wish you lived by me, lol! I'd love a neighbor like you!
#4 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas,

Sabri worked the situation out on her own.........

She went and triedt oplay with the little girl one more time and came home and informed us she would not be playing with Brittney anymore because she only wants to play with barbies, teases her cat and eats hot dogs!!!!

Such is the life of a nine year old........

Peace to you all,

Granolamom
#5 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 04:03 PM

LOL, that's very funny Your kid has a good head on her shoulders!!!

#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned

OMG, I was reading your post wrong! I thought your dd was *3* (rather than her being your thirdborn)

If she was three I'd think it inappropriate that she get into a conversation so heavy (and need to defend herself)

But a 10YO is different (good for her!!)

I have boys (for some reason the boys and not the girls!!) who have friends who use the word, "gay" to mean "wrong" or "bad" (I've been in threads like this before) I will correct it when I hear it but it disturbs me greatly and I feel I'm swimming upstream (and I live in the northeast not redneckville or anything )

I think you have provided her with the armor to be able to defend her viewpoint and the proof is in her reaction to the "friend".

Now the only gays my children know are "quiet" about who they are. My daughter's fiance has close friends who are an outrageous gay couple and I can't wait to meet them (at the wedding) I hope they'll be a nice "out" couple to have around the kiddos (perhaps having a mental image of some *real people* will keep the "gay" comment in the graveyard with the rest of the bigoted words in the English language.

(sorry I don't belong here but I saw Madison's name and thought she'd have news about how she's doing!!)

db
#7 of 7 Old 05-17-2003, 12:37 AM

Granola mom to you guys and especially your dd.

(love your sigline too)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page