Scared To Know Whats Wrong - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so Im 20 years old...I hardly get a period like there are sometimes months before i will get one sometimes more than months...I am a lesbian and want to soooo much have a child.However I am scared to go to the doctor and find out that I cant have any children,that would be devasting.Both my parents have died and I am on my own with my decisions.What do you think is best?And has anyone ever had this problem

ANY ADVICE IS GLADLY TAKEN:
#2 of 10 Old 03-11-2007, 04:49 AM

hi!

like you for most of my life i have had very few periods. i am desepreate to have a baby, i'm queer, and my body is, well, not cooperating. i have pcos. which stands for poly cystic ovarian syndrome. a lot of women have it. basically it means that my hormones are wonky which causes very few periods for me. my drs are pretty reassuring about my chances of concieving though. i'm not saying that this is what you have, what i am saying though, is that just becuase you aren't regular doesn't mean you can't concieve. and you definately have age on your side. most fertility drs would be giddy to see you i'm sure. finding a doctor that you like and trust will go a long way. there is a good chance, that with a little help you to will be able to concieve. sorry for sounding like a cheesy advertisement, it's just i went through so much of my life thinking i couldn't have kids cuz 1. i'm queer, and 2. i'm broken. it was pretty thrilling to hear that i have a chance. you do to, go to the dr. and if they say you can't have kids, find another one. there are a lot of people on this board that have pretty impossible sounding stories who have concieved.

good luck!

emily
#3 of 10 Old 03-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Go read Taking Charge of your Fertility, learn all about how your cycle works, and then get a referral from your doctor to an OBGYN.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#4 of 10 Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 PM

go to the doc...currently it sounds like you are scared of the unknown...figure out what the issues are, then figure out the treatments that are available, then go from there...fear need not apply...

and the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is an awesome book...

peace...

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#5 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 12:09 AM

All I can say is even in you aren't planning on kidlets in the near future, see a doc about the problem now! I always knew I wanted to be pregnant/birth at least one of our kids-I also knew I had some various cycle problems but didn't pay much attention- I'm paying for it now. I've been struggling with infertility for 2+ years and was FINALLY diagnosed with an ovarian cyst/stage 3 endometriosis- AFTER three surgeries for a different fertility issue. I really wish now that I had delt with these issues years ago when I first noticed minor problems- long cycles between periods isn't a final decree of infertility, but it is something to check into right away.
#6 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 AM

Go to the Doctor-there are all sorts of things they can do now to be able to help your fertility. The longer you wait the worse it will be. I know it's scary but the sooner you get this out of the way the sooner you can fix this.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#7 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah Im pretty sure I have a serious problem.Growing up in my household you pretty much handle these things on your own.This has been a problem for me for the longest.But I am gonna go to the Dr...Alone which sucks...But aleast I wont be in the dark any longer...thanks
#8 of 10 Old 03-17-2007, 05:03 AM

I too have PCOS. It sounds like you might have it.

check out www.soulcysters.net or www.soulcysters.com for more information!!

Or you can PM me to talk!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#9 of 10 Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 AM

There are a lot of different reasons, some more serious than others, for irregular cycles/amenorrhea. It could be PCOS but it may not be. I went through this too and it turned out to be a very simple thyroid problem that could be easily fixed with acupuncture and medicinal herbs. It took quite a long time to conceive my first child but he was born healthy and is doing very well and we're expecting another. I'm not a lesbian so my conception circumstances may be different but I wanted to point out that ultimately I was ovulating, I just had to figure out when.

This is exactly the right time to be looking into this- be hopeful! It is most likely something easily fixable. I echo the suggestions for reading TCOYF. It's the best book on fertility that I have found.

Best of luck!
#10 of 10 Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 AM

any update?

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page