IUI Sperm Count - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering what everyone's post washed sperm count was.
My dp got inseminated yesterday 8/29 and the nurse said that the count was 4 million. I was thinking that seemed pretty low and wanted to hear what counts others had in comparasion.

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#2 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was an andrologist (sorry to intrude!) but that seems *very* low for an IUI, was this an anon donor? They usually IME are much higher count.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

yah fairfax anon donor......sadly I thought this as well...the nurse said " You are probably wondering what the count is" and then she spouted the number with a smile.....her actions seemed as if she thought this was adequate but i was thinking to myself it seemed low. Should I call the RE for some explaination or reassurance? Is this kinda of like a you get what you get and you dont throw a fit type deal?

#4 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 01:44 PM

This seems way low! My bank, the Sperm Bank of California (TSBC), guarantees a minimum of 10 milllion motile sperm, post-thaw, in a .5cc IUI vial. Look at Fairfax's website, or call them, and see if they have similar guarantees. If they don't, I would really consider finding another bank.

One thing- did you buy washed sperm, or did your RE wash it herself? Most banks will only guarantee the motility of sperm that they wash themselves...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#5 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Your right that is what initally struck me because I saw that guarantee on the TBSC site and looked to see if fairfax had something similar but off the bat I didnt see it. I am thinking that the RE processes the sperm but honestly I am not entirely sure. Well crap we have 3 more vials if this doesnt work then your right I should seek someplace with a guarantee....:

#6 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 03:13 PM

In our lab, it came prepared. We just thawed and counted it. All the suppliers we got semen from were the same way, I have never washed donor sperm from a company.

I would definitely bring this up to your RE or even call the bank and ask them. The ART could have made a mistake in counting, or you could be getting screwed.

#7 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 PM

http://www.fairfaxcryobank.com/speci...menu=4&turn=on

All the way down at the bottom. You should definitely have your RE contact them- even if you can't get your money back on this vial, they should be able to work something out with you for the other three.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#8 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

what is strange about that is that the sperm we got was in a different falcon tube container with my partners name and donor number/bank handwritten and not in a color top like what the website says.....wouldnt it mess the number of sperm if you were to transfer it from the thawed original tube to a plastic falcon tube not to mention they had to do a sperm count on it which one would assume would take more intervention......i think im getting a headache.

#9 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 PM

It shouldn't be enough to change the numbers to that low unless they were incompetent. The count is the average count in the sample. I don't know why they switched containers unless they put it in a prepared syringe for you?

#10 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 06:06 PM

My clinic always wanted to see 10 million +. I think the lowest we ever had from our donor was 20 million!! He was an awesome donor (xytex donor from Canada). My clinic also ALWAYS washed it themselves and told me that I should buy unwashed units. Even when they weren't available and we had to get washed units, the clinic still washed them. Not sure why...but I'd shoot for at least 10 million for an IUI.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#11 of 18 Old 08-30-2007, 08:28 PM

Maybe its different with frozen sperm, but when we did our insemination, the sperm count was 88 million. The second time we did it, it was 85 million. We were successful on the second attempt. We were told that the sperm count was above normal, and said a healthy young man average around 65 million.
#12 of 18 Old 08-31-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoston View Post
Maybe its different with frozen sperm, but when we did our insemination, the sperm count was 88 million. The second time we did it, it was 85 million. We were successful on the second attempt. We were told that the sperm count was above normal, and said a healthy young man average around 65 million.
Well, it is definitely different with frozen sperm, a lot of sperm is lost in the freezing process.

However, we used Midwest Sperm bank, and had a guarrantee of 20 million per IUI sample. We did ICI at home (yes, with the IUI sample) so we couldn't test our specific samples, but our donor tested at about 30-40 million per sample post-thaw (which is higher than average).

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#13 of 18 Old 09-04-2007, 12:15 PM

hi,
I have two kids, inseminated four times, got pregnant 3x.... and our count was always 4-6 mil, post washing at the doctor's office. Many of my friends have had much. much higher counts, but haven't conceived... it ily takes *one*!
Don't stress!
Chance
#14 of 18 Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancita
hi,
I have two kids, inseminated four times, got pregnant 3x.... and our count was always 4-6 mil, post washing at the doctor's office. Many of my friends have had much. much higher counts, but haven't conceived... it ily takes *one*!
Don't stress!
Chance
Only one sperm will actually provide the genetic material for the baby, but it actually does take MANY sperm for the process to work.

Did you ever talk to someone from the bank, Scalpel?

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#15 of 18 Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM

Hey, just wanted to add my 2 cents. We also used Fairfax, but it was an ID consent donor. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.
Unfortunately, I didn't save the paperwork from our IUI, but when we ordered our ICI vials prior to that, all of our paperwork said TMC (total motile cells) was between 20.00 and 20.70, varying per vial. The P-T Motility for all vials was 35%. I don't know a lot about what these numbers mean, but we probably have the same paperwork, so I thought I'd tell you what was on mine.
When we did the IUI, our doc never told us the actual TMC number. She just put some of the sperm under a microscope prior to the IUI and said they were good swimmers. I wish I had better data for you.
Oh, I know what you mean about the vials. All of our vials had red caps and looked the same. The dates were often different, but the vials always looked alike. I think it's worth asking them about the difference with that one vial.
Either way, I hope it works out! If you want to compare any more notes on Fairfax, just PM me.

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
#16 of 18 Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Lex-

Yes per your advice I emailed them that day with my concerns. They said they too stand by there at least "10 million" per vial. Our IUI didnt take ( i believe its because of the sperm count but lets just say the "stars weren't aligned for us that day) anywho our RE office will need to contact fairfax and hopefully we can come to some sort of compromise whatever that may be.

gamitzer-

we used a non consent newly released donor. I wouldnt think that would have any bearing on sperm count?. Our RE's office has a designated "sperm lady" who ordered everything for us so I dont know about these TMC reports...maybe I should ask her? However we dont want to make waves just settle our concerns and make a baby damnit!!! Wish us luck next month and hope we get more spermies!!!

**Also while taking a walk yesterday my dp said that we ordered unwahsed sperm in which our RE's office processed?? Maybe that is why we didnt get a post TMC report? I know our RE office is competant so no worries they messed up but I hope fairfax honors their unwashed sperm guarentee just as well if it were prewashed???

#17 of 18 Old 09-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Darn, it seems like you'll just have to wait and see what can be done about the situation. I live about 5 miles from the cryobank, so let me know if you need me to go in and ruffle some feathers. I used to go in there and pick up sperm for us and another couple, so they won't be surprised to see me again. My friends used to joke that Fairfax saw me as a "lesbian pimp" who always came in for more sperm. I'm sure the bank will just think I have a new lady to impregnate!

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
#18 of 18 Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

ha ha I love it lesbian sperm pimp!!! I will let you know if i need your services hahaha
Dp goes in Monday for u/s and then i will find out the skinny then.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page