**Queer TTC in Sept Thread** - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 271 Old 09-08-2007, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
I think that's the hardest part for me- not getting totally obsessed!
I spend my day frequently feeling my breasts to test for tenderness! I had 4 days of very tender breasts (they still are a little but not as much) so I keep checking with the hope of finding them back to what they were. I'm sure people think I'm some kind of weird pervert! I'm obsessed with wondering whether or not I'm pregnant & it's driving me crazy. If I manage to get distracted by a tv show for an hour I feel so relieved! It really is getting quite ridiculous. :

Quote:
Right now, I have a big deadline with my dissertation, which has forced me to get my academic butt in gear. (I'm a grad student in a PhD program.)
I'm also doing a PhD. Although unfortunately I don't sound quite as close to finishing as you do! Will you have finished by the time you have the baby if you got preggers now? I certainly won't, but I'm hoping it's a little more child friendly than the work place. In Australia anyways. Good luck with the dissertation! I'm very jealous!
#62 of 271 Old 09-08-2007, 02:20 PM

Hey, it's a day or two earlier than I expected, but the digital opk gave me the smiley face this morning. We sneak into DP's practice tomorrow for the oh-so-romantic iui.

I think I'll have a beer or two tonight with bright optimism that they will be the last I can have for a long time. That's the spirit, right?
#63 of 271 Old 09-08-2007, 10:36 PM

I think I might be pregnant! I've had really sore breasts, which I never ever get, & the area they're sore apparently corresponds to my glands, which is where it's supposed to be tender. I'm peeing ALL the time, which I didn't know was a symptom til I looked it up to try to figure out why I'm always running for the toilet! And I had some light spotting today, 11 days before my period, which has never happened before. And the spotting comes 7 days after ovulation, which is the time it takes for the egg-sperm combo to travel down my fallopian tube.

So all things considered, I think I may just be pregnant!! The only thing that makes me doubtful is that I never actually got a positive OPK. But I was only testing every 24 hours, and fertility friend tells me that I may have had my LH surge quickly , & the OPK didn't pick it up. I had the temperature rise over 2 days as I was supposed to have, which apparently is a more definite test than the OPK test, since that only happens AFTER you've O'd. And things like spotting can't be psychological...at least I don't think...

I'm trying not to get excited until the fat lady sings, or the pregnancy test comes back positive. I only ovulated a week ago so I can't test for another week...oh time will go so so slowly this week!
#64 of 271 Old 09-08-2007, 10:56 PM

Oooh exciting!!
#65 of 271 Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 AM
kjm

Hey Y'all

I went to a local production of Birth last night. It was truly amazing!!!

Its a play written in the vein of The Vagina Monologues about women's birthing experience. Its happening around the world this month check here to see if there are any performances near you:

http://www.birthonlaborday.com/bold/bold2007.html

or watch this clip and vow to do a production in your community next Sept!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhaGyM8fS_c

It was soooo inspiring and moving, I cradled my tummy through the whole show--preggers or not my uterus was moved

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#66 of 271 Old 09-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
Hey Y'all

I went to a local production of Birth last night. It was truly amazing!!!

Its a play written in the vein of The Vagina Monologues about women's birthing experience. Its happening around the world this month check here to see if there are any performances near you:

http://www.birthonlaborday.com/bold/bold2007.html

or watch this clip and vow to do a production in your community next Sept!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhaGyM8fS_c

It was soooo inspiring and moving, I cradled my tummy through the whole show--preggers or not my uterus was moved
A friend of mine was in a production of this show in Brattleboro last year. It was very good, I thought. It did present some interesting issues and I think DP felt a little defensive afterward, as the show (arguably) has a bit of an anti-medical tilt to its perspective (DP is a doctor). Overall I really enjoyed it.

Well, we did the iui thing this morning. I wish I could say I felt optimistic about it, but I don't. I got the positive OPK yesterday, a day or two earlier than I expected, but there was copious EWCM yesterday, so I figured the timing was ok for insemination today. But this morning my CM had gone from EW to tacky. On top of that, DP isn't sure she got all the way through the cervical oz (I think it's funny that it's called that. I always imagine the inside of my uterus looking like the Emerald City when I hear it. )

Given that I have no reason to suspect that I have any fertility issues, I find this process frustrating because it seems like it all has to be so precise. That's fine, I guess, but I tend to be more of a big picture gal, so details kind of overwhelm me (or, in the alternative, I obsess over them). I don't relish the thought of charting, which is what I think I will need to do if it doesn't take this time.

Well, anyway, I suppose there's no reason to pay much attention to my gut pessimism this month, as it's no more likely to be correct than my gut optimism was last month. Spread the baby dust around, folks, I think I could use it!
#67 of 271 Old 09-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Plenty 'o dust for all!

I inseminated yesterday, such a funny experience (or maybe I'm just easily amused ...). Everything seemed to fall into place so seamlessly -- number one donor pick available etc. Anyway, I'm praying fervently and trying to be as Zen as possible during the 2ww!

: I am a woman of faith; a mother; a writer. :
#68 of 271 Old 09-09-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiccup View Post
Well, we did the iui thing this morning. I wish I could say I felt optimistic about it, but I don't. I got the positive OPK yesterday, a day or two earlier than I expected, but there was copious EWCM yesterday, so I figured the timing was ok for insemination today. But this morning my CM had gone from EW to tacky. On top of that, DP isn't sure she got all the way through the cervical oz (I think it's funny that it's called that. I always imagine the inside of my uterus looking like the Emerald City when I hear it. )

Given that I have no reason to suspect that I have any fertility issues, I find this process frustrating because it seems like it all has to be so precise. That's fine, I guess, but I tend to be more of a big picture gal, so details kind of overwhelm me (or, in the alternative, I obsess over them). I don't relish the thought of charting, which is what I think I will need to do if it doesn't take this time.
You know, I had a very similar experience the first month we inseminated. My EWCM had disappeared, and nurse-friend was pretty sure she didn't get all the way into the uterus. And, I got pregnant that time. So, it's definitely possible.

But yeah, we've definitely had some questions about whether or not we're all the way through the os and into the uterus. Not really sure what to do about it. So far I've just been feeling good about the fact that I know it can work, since it did before. But, if you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

In terms of charting, it is a pain, but it really does give you a lot of valuable information. I chart my temps and the opening of my cervix, and between those two things, I feel like I have a really nice data set to combine with my OPKs. Personally, I can't imagine doing this without that info, though obviously lots of doctors feel that just checking for the LH surge is adequate. I will say too that at this point, taking my temperature in the morning has ceased to be a hassle, so charting just isn't a big deal. In fact, once I get a baby that sticks, I imagine it will feel sort of funny *not* to wake up and stick the thermometer in my mouth first thing.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#69 of 271 Old 09-09-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ladies, we're back from camping and exhausted! Let me know where to move you ladies. AF came Sat morning for me so time to move me back to waiting to O. Hope everyone had a good weekend and remember to update on on where you are in your cycle. Please put the update in BOLD

I'll be back tomorrow with some better responses to everyone. So tired today! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

-Rachel

#70 of 271 Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Hey ladies, we're back from camping and exhausted! Let me know where to move you ladies. AF came Sat morning for me so time to move me back to waiting to O. Hope everyone had a good weekend and remember to update on on where you are in your cycle. Please put the update in BOLD

I'll be back tomorrow with some better responses to everyone. So tired today! Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Hope you're able to get some rest.

Please put me under waiting to know. Thanks!

: I am a woman of faith; a mother; a writer. :
#71 of 271 Old 09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
kjm

Quote:
Hey ladies, we're back from camping and exhausted!
Glad to have ya back! Camping is my favorite, it especially lets me appreciate my bed when I return

Sorry 'bout the AF visit, especially in the middle of your camping trip

I also have a couple confessions to make...#1 we tested last night...I wasn't gonna admit it to y'all but after making such a stink about waiting until AF was late last month I just caved this month!!! It didn't help that we just spent 2 hours listening to birth stories NOR did it help that I bought 10 HPT at the 1$ store...so yeah I caved....I know I know...6 dpo!!! I'm spineless!!!
DP was just so cute on they way home, begging me to test, She said "whtas the risk--we know the test can't possibly be accurate yet, but if we get a positive then we know we have a super-human blastocyst?? I couldn't refuse that logic.

confession #2, I've never seen my cervix. Ok I said it, take away my feminist card, and my queer card, not to mention my TTC club member card-But its true, I can't find it!!! I just had a pap, so I know I have one as the NP didn't seem alarmed, but I can't find it. I have read books, pamphlets, look at diagrams, but to no avail, I spent about an hour looking for it. I had my speculum, I had my mirror, I had my little lamp, I had my determination--but I swear its in there soooo deep! Despite any position all I could see were more folds? No circular nothing?

Any advice? I just think I should have a better relationship with my cervix???

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#72 of 271 Old 09-09-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I chart my temps and the opening of my cervix, and between those two things, I feel like I have a really nice data set to combine with my OPKs. Personally, I can't imagine doing this without that info, though obviously lots of doctors feel that just checking for the LH surge is adequate.
My LH surge never showed up at all! It was only by my temperature shift that I knew I'd even ovulated. My CM didn't even go like egg-whites (usually it does but not this month for some reason). Apparently if your surge is fast and the LH used quickly it's not detected unless you're testing very regularly (like at least every 12 hours). And I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant (3rd temp shift, swollen & tender breasts, spotting - all of which has never happened before) so if I was listening to the OPKs I would be very confused by now & wouldn't have even inseminated!

Fertility friend says (how many of my sentences start with that these days!) that the temperature shift is the only definite sign because it only happens AFTER ovulation, whereas the rest happens before, so you can't be sure about what happens after.

btw BurtsGirl - I'm in the waiting to know category. Thanks for keeping the list!
#73 of 271 Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Beth (Zyla) - Very nice to meet you and so glad you are joining us! Good luck in the 2WW, we'll be right there cheering you on, hoping for a BFP!

KJM - I know exactly what you mean about co-worker coming in. I live in a cube at work. Fortunately I'm in a corner and someone has to literally come into my cube to see my screen. So it works out, !
-Good luck on your new work out routine. I'm hoping to pick mine back up this week also.
-No harm in testing early. I tested at 9 dpo. I knew it was a neg but I needed to SEE it before I went INSANE!!
-As for your cervix. It took a bit to see mine also. I laid down on the bed and had pull my legs back close to my body. (Knees almost to chest.) Even then DW had to "wiggle" the speculum around a little because the cervix, or at least mine, points down. And here's a little confession from me: You know those small head lamps you can buy for hiking in the dark and so forth. Well.... that's what we use to check the cervix and insem. It allows for a both hands to be available. Worked out quite nicely.
-I love camping, really. I plan a yearly fall camping trip with a local lesbian group I'm apart of. This year we had 8 sites booked. We always take my nephew and he had a blast this year. It was just exhausting because of the kids, lol. Playing in the water with 5-10 yr old boys is enough to wear anyone out! LOL! Although I did really appreciate my bed last night.

AngelaM - Glad you were able to find another good donor. Did you get in touch with the bank yet? I like the beach but I'm a mountain girl to the core. I forgot to mention hiking as our hobby also. We've actually hiked a little over 40 miles this year.

mhiccup - I'm sure your insem went perfectly. Sending your way! Also I love the Wizard of Oz theme you got going on, ! That is so funny and cute!
- I also have to agree with Angela about the charting. It's a pain but really it only takes a total of 5 minutes out of your day and it tells you SO much about your body and cycle. I set my alarm for 6:30am when the alarm goes off, I stick the thermometer in my mouth and try to stay awake till the beep. Then I look at the temp, write it down on a little bedside notepad and fall back asleep until it time to get up. It's really not so bad. I don't know how ladies who don't chart handle the 2WW without something to obsess over, !

kk_davey - to you girlie. It would be great to start this month off with an early BFP and you sound very promising! , mama!

2HM's- Where are you? Hope everything is going good and you are setting up for your IUI this month!

Well, I think that's everyone. Forgive me if I missed you. I've also Updated to Here. DW will be ordering the goods today. I'm taking a hands off approach this month. So she'll be doing the ordering and set the delivery for the 20th. I'm feeling a lot better about this go round. I feel more relaxed and ready. Probably because I know what to expect.

We are really hoping it works this time. Most of DW's family lives in Mass and we are traveling up there the first week in Oct. So we'll actually be testing up there and would LOVE to be able to tell everyone in person!

I really enjoyed camping. We were surrounded by friends and were also able to spend some good quality time with my nephew (6yrs) who is very close to us. We swam, roasted marshmallows, talked, and just enjoyed being outside and not thinking at all about TTC. As mentioned above I organize a fall camping trip for a local lesbian group and their families. There were a lot of kidos there. It was our 4th year doing this and these kids are just wonderful kids. We do a lot of camping but most of the time its just DW and me, MUCH different when your with kids!

Hope everyone out there is thinking positive fertile thoughts today!

-Rachel

#74 of 271 Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Okay, I just spent $5,000 on sperm.

Gulp.

I feel a little lightheaded.

The donor I had chosen last time got sold out, so I had to pick a new one. My girlfriend and I both came up with the same top choice, however, the bank had no sibling inventory set aside for him, which means that anything I want, I need to buy now. And thus, I have just purchased all 11 remaining IUI vials of his sperm. Hopefully this will be enough to get me pregnant now and to make another baby somewhere down the line.

I know that in the grand scheme of things, $5,000 isn't a big deal, at least, not compared to how excited I'll be to become a parent. But right now, it feels like a terrifying amount of money to have just spent, particularly on something that doesn't come with any guarentees. Somehow it seemed a little less scary when I was pacing it out, a little bit each month.

Also, it's a little creepy to know that I now "own" $5,000 worth of someone's genetic material. Weird, huh?

Anyway, here's hoping it works!

Hope you all are having good days...

#75 of 271 Old 09-10-2007, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
AngelaM - I try to reassure myself about the price of sperm by remembering how much money I've saved and will save over the course of a lifetime on birth control by being a lesbian. It is hard to plunk down a couple, or 5G all at once, but if a straight woman is sexually active, fertile, using condoms, and the pill for 30 years . . . She will spend around $20,000.00 in birth control. Thinking about that number always makes me feel better!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#76 of 271 Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Okay, I just spent $5,000 on sperm.

Gulp.

I feel a little lightheaded.

The donor I had chosen last time got sold out, so I had to pick a new one. My girlfriend and I both came up with the same top choice, however, the bank had no sibling inventory set aside for him, which means that anything I want, I need to buy now. And thus, I have just purchased all 11 remaining IUI vials of his sperm. Hopefully this will be enough to get me pregnant now and to make another baby somewhere down the line.

I know that in the grand scheme of things, $5,000 isn't a big deal, at least, not compared to how excited I'll be to become a parent. But right now, it feels like a terrifying amount of money to have just spent, particularly on something that doesn't come with any guarentees. Somehow it seemed a little less scary when I was pacing it out, a little bit each month.

Also, it's a little creepy to know that I now "own" $5,000 worth of someone's genetic material. Weird, huh?

Anyway, here's hoping it works!

Hope you all are having good days...
: are you going to be able to eat for the next 6 months?? DIY at-home is currently the only option for me because of the crappy laws here but I couldn't afford anything else anyway...
$5000 OMFG!!!!
Can you sell it back to them if you don't need it???

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#77 of 271 Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
AngelaM - I try to reassure myself about the price of sperm by remembering how much money I've saved and will save over the course of a lifetime on birth control by being a lesbian. It is hard to plunk down a couple, or 5G all at once, but if a straight woman is sexually active, fertile, using condoms, and the pill for 30 years . . . She will spend around $20,000.00 in birth control. Thinking about that number always makes me feel better!
I am extremely jealous!!
#78 of 271 Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Go Angela! How exciting!!
#79 of 271 Old 09-11-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Angela - Whoa, now that's commitment, .

Pranava- I love the stats on the birth control. I'll have to tell DW about that. Very interesting fact.

thismama- How is your pregnancy going?

Last month we ordered 4 vials of our donor and he had lots more in there so I wasn't too worried. But when DW called back yesterday to have them ship the last two vials we had on hold she checked the inventory. They didn't have any available out of quarantine until the end of Oct. So now I need to call the RE and see which kind he wants. Does anyone know if it matters, ICI or IUI? Do they wash it themselves again anyway? Or do I just get IUI? I'm going to go ahead and order 2-6 more vials. But it definitely looks like we'll be taking Oct off if this try doesn't work.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

-Rachel

#80 of 271 Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 AM
kjm

Quote:
But it definitely looks like we'll be taking Oct off if this try doesn't work.!

Burts, No pressure or anything!!!!
It is tough to take a break just when you get into the swing of things,but I still think it was the best thing I did. It allowed me to re focus and chill out a bit.

What about your break mujer?? how is it going? are you appreciative or counting the days until KD gets back from Holiday?? Biting your nails? Or deeply breathing?? I hope its the latter!!

Angela that is a commitment, but its also stability which we can all use a little of 'round here. Has anyone else noticed that this "roller coaster" seldom "coasts"??? What the heck?

#81 of 271 Old 09-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
: are you going to be able to eat for the next 6 months?? DIY at-home is currently the only option for me because of the crappy laws here but I couldn't afford anything else anyway...
$5000 OMFG!!!!
Can you sell it back to them if you don't need it???
Yeah, it's a good question. Actually, and ironically, it seems that I can take out a student loan to pay off the balance (which is currently accruing interest on my credit card). I feel a little bad about this- obviously it's not what the student loan program was set up for- but then, I also feel bad that my relationships aren't recognized by the state, that my inseminations aren't covered by my health care insurance, and that instead of universal health care, my taxes are being spent on a war I don't support. So, if I can take advantage of a low-interest loan program to buy sperm, it doesn't seem like such an immoral decision.

But yeah, MMM, I hear you on the cost. I'm a single grad student, and money is definitely an issue for me. If I had been able to find a known donor I trusted, felt good about, etc., I would have gone that route, but there just wasn't anyone I felt okay about, and I figured that if, god forbid, I ended up in a custody battle with someone, I'd shell out more for that than I'm paying for sperm now. It is really interesting though how parenthood becomes a class issue around issues of access to reproductive technologies. Money definitely determines who has access to what types of babymaking and family-making. I've been very lucky so far- a great couple I met on MDC gave me a leftover vial of sperm for my first insemination, and my mother was able to help me pay for the second two. However, she's out of resources now, and luckily, I had the option to borrow money in a relatively safe way to fund this. Obviously, lots of women don't have these options.

It's also really interesting how the process of ttc highlights your priorities. I am almost never willing to borrow money for anything. I drive an old, crappy car, I don't update my wardrobe regularly, and I keep the thermostat low in the winter because I'm not willing to go into debt over those things. But somehow, this is a debt that feels okay to me.

And it's true, as KJM says, that making this decision brings some stability. Now it's done- I own this sperm, and I'll be inseminating with it until I get pregnant. It feels good to know that some little part of this process has been decided, for now at least. And yes, I hear you KJM on roller coaster that never seems to coast...

#82 of 271 Old 09-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here goes round 2. . . Spermies arrived this morning. Best looking +OPK I've ever gotten at 11am. No EWCM this month, but lots of thin and watery(from what I've seen on Fertility Friend, that will work too). I'll insem tonight, and again tomorrow afternoon. True ICI this time - that is, if we can work it out. The catheter's I ordered are rather large - I think bigger than a normal IUI catheter, but no time now to order smaller.

I'm very excited and feeling positive!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#83 of 271 Old 09-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post
Here goes round 2. . . Spermies arrived this morning. Best looking +OPK I've ever gotten at 11am. No EWCM this month, but lots of thin and watery(from what I've seen on Fertility Friend, that will work too). I'll insem tonight, and again tomorrow afternoon. True ICI this time - that is, if we can work it out. The catheter's I ordered are rather large - I think bigger than a normal IUI catheter, but no time now to order smaller.

Good luck Pranava! Fingers crossed for a successful month!

#84 of 271 Old 09-11-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Go Swimmers Go!! Pranava, I would love a blow by blow of how the true ICI went! Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to discuss here. GOOD LUCK, my friend!!!

-Rachel

#85 of 271 Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's a good question. Actually, and ironically, it seems that I can take out a student loan to pay off the balance (which is currently accruing interest on my credit card). I feel a little bad about this- obviously it's not what the student loan program was set up for- but then, I also feel bad that my relationships aren't recognized by the state, that my inseminations aren't covered by my health care insurance, and that instead of universal health care, my taxes are being spent on a war I don't support. So, if I can take advantage of a low-interest loan program to buy sperm, it doesn't seem like such an immoral decision.

But yeah, MMM, I hear you on the cost. I'm a single grad student, and money is definitely an issue for me. If I had been able to find a known donor I trusted, felt good about, etc., I would have gone that route, but there just wasn't anyone I felt okay about, and I figured that if, god forbid, I ended up in a custody battle with someone, I'd shell out more for that than I'm paying for sperm now. It is really interesting though how parenthood becomes a class issue around issues of access to reproductive technologies. Money definitely determines who has access to what types of babymaking and family-making. I've been very lucky so far- a great couple I met on MDC gave me a leftover vial of sperm for my first insemination, and my mother was able to help me pay for the second two. However, she's out of resources now, and luckily, I had the option to borrow money in a relatively safe way to fund this. Obviously, lots of women don't have these options.

It's also really interesting how the process of ttc highlights your priorities. I am almost never willing to borrow money for anything. I drive an old, crappy car, I don't update my wardrobe regularly, and I keep the thermostat low in the winter because I'm not willing to go into debt over those things. But somehow, this is a debt that feels okay to me.
great plan!! i hope you didn't feel like you needed to justify it to me. (but for what it's worth, you justification is completely worthy and I don't think you should feel ethically compromised at all!)

If we had to go into debt over TTC, I've no doubt we'd do it with a smile too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post

What about your break mujer?? how is it going? are you appreciative or counting the days until KD gets back from Holiday?? Biting your nails? Or deeply breathing?? I hope its the latter!!
I'm doing really well. I'm about to O and currently have perfect EWCM so it feels a bit weird today but generally I'm feeling quite sane and pleased for the break. I have two friends(IRL) in their 2ww right now and I do not envy them. limbo land is a hard place to be.
how's your wait kjm?

baby dust and crossed fingers for all!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#86 of 271 Old 09-12-2007, 02:20 AM

There's no way I could access $5000 as a student! If I didn't know a guy I just couldn't get preggers. And you can't buy sperm as a lesbian in Australia anyway, so I certainly couldn't be getting pregnant. I totally agree that reproduction is a socio-economic issue.

Angela - it's awesome that you can use the vials for multiple kids. That's a great idea. I reckon that in itself justifies the loan. Plus I think your justification on your taxes going to a pointless war & lack of acknowledgement of lesbian relationship are very strong justifications...I was totally convinced by them! And making a baby is worth all of the above a million times over...

Burtsgirl - that sucks re the vials. Can you accelerate the quarantine process in anyway? Extra luck for this month
Pravana - May the powers of mother nature be with you

Do you get to see a photo of the donor or does it have to be completely anonymous? I guess they'd tell you major things, like if they're European/Asiatic etc??

I've done a preg test every day from 6dpo. Which doesn't say much for my will power. But my pregnancy symptoms feel so strong that I just figure they should be able to detect it by now. I can't even sleep on my tummy my boobies are so sore! I'm persistent - I'll keep trying every day until I get something...a positive or my period...
#87 of 271 Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk_davey View Post
Burtsgirl - that sucks re the vials. Can you accelerate the quarantine process in anyway? Extra luck for this month
Unfortunately there is no way to speed that process up. The sperm has to sit in quarantine for 6 months to verify testing of STD's.

Quote:
Do you get to see a photo of the donor or does it have to be completely anonymous? I guess they'd tell you major things, like if they're European/Asiatic etc??
We were not able to obtain a photo although we where able to send in a photo of DW and have them match her photo with a donor photo. We also got a long profile of the donor that was quite in depth and interesting. It told us everything we wanted to know, in the donor's own handwritting and words. Stuff from his childhood, his siblings, parents and grandparents, schooling, interest, and every physical feature I could think of. Also health history for himself and his parents, siblings, and grandparents.

I'm so excited for you, KK. Can't wait until you post that BFP! Good luck today everyone!

-Rachel

#88 of 271 Old 09-12-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
and I figured that if, god forbid, I ended up in a custody battle with someone, I'd shell out more for that than I'm paying for sperm now.
Oh hell yes. Not worth it in any way, shape or form.

I am 100% in favour of using student loans for sperm. I didn't have to luckily, but that was totally my plan. OSAP = the Ontario Stereo and Pregnancy fund.
#89 of 271 Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
There's no way I could access $5000 as a student! If I didn't know a guy I just couldn't get preggers. And you can't buy sperm as a lesbian in Australia anyway, so I certainly couldn't be getting pregnant. I totally agree that reproduction is a socio-economic issue.
Yes, luckily I live in the land of consumer debt, where we are encouraged to borrow beyond our means regularly. In this case, though, I'm grateful for it.

Lesbians can't buy sperm in Australia??!? I didn't know that. I'm sort of shocked; I always think of your country as more progressive than mine...

Quote:
Angela - it's awesome that you can use the vials for multiple kids. That's a great idea. I reckon that in itself justifies the loan. Plus I think your justification on your taxes going to a pointless war & lack of acknowledgement of lesbian relationship are very strong justifications...I was totally convinced by them! And making a baby is worth all of the above a million times over...
Yes, I'm hopeful that I now own enough sperm for two pregnancies! And if I end up not having another (by myself or with a partner), I like the idea of giving the leftover sperm to one of my many friends who plan to have kids. Our children could then be bio half sibs, which seems to me like a really nice way of expanding the notion of "family" even more.

Quote:
I've done a preg test every day from 6dpo. Which doesn't say much for my will power. But my pregnancy symptoms feel so strong that I just figure they should be able to detect it by now. I can't even sleep on my tummy my boobies are so sore! I'm persistent - I'll keep trying every day until I get something...a positive or my period...
What dpo are you at now? It definitely sounds like you've got the symptoms! My fingers are crossed for you...

#90 of 271 Old 09-12-2007, 03:31 PM
kjm

Quote:
Here goes round 2. . . Spermies arrived this morning. Best looking +OPK I've ever gotten at 11am.
Good Luck

and KK
my fingers are sooo crossed girl!! :: where is that BFP? Its coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
limbo land is a hard place to be.
how's your wait kjm?
baby dust and crossed fingers for all!
YUP, YUP its been a long 10 days--I will test tomorrow a.m., I haven't since my 5dpo test. I do think this cycle has been the best 2ww though. I think it was mainly because of the "Adventures in Insemination"!! That whole scene was sooo amazing that it reminded me that Magic is possible and important. If this isn't "THE" cycle, then at least I've been adequately inspired that taking those spermies "on the road' is the way to go for me and that I am on the right path. I am open to the influences of universe (don't think I'm full fledge newage--but I do have to admit that I made a "conception" collage this past weekend!!!)
Thanks for checking in, and heres to knowing that your fertility will be just as strong next month--that EWCM will come back

Quote:
Yes, luckily I live in the land of consumer debt, where we are encouraged to borrow beyond our means regularly. In this case, though, I'm grateful for it.
Love it!!! I don't think they covered this element in that documentary "In Debt We Trust" maybe we should make a sequel??? I have a movie making cousin who's been begging me to tell give him ideas for a film? True Adventures in Queer TTC?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page