**Queer TTC in Sept Thread** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 271 Old 08-31-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I'm starting this a day early but I hope everyone will find their way here! I'm very excited to host the 2nd monthly TTC thread specificly for Queers! (Although everyone is welcome here!) I kind of stole this from The ONE Thread so I hope that's ok.

Everyone please check in and let me know where you are in your cycle. PLEASE BOLD ALL CHANGES THAT NEED TO BE MADE! This will help the thread keeper see them better. I'll also include your chart if you have one and ask me too. Here we go!

: A Rainbow of options! :

Waiting to O
ElusiveBreath
KJM
kk_davey
simcon
Pranava

: Waiting to Know :
2happymamas :
AngelaM :
BurtsGirl :
lmh222
inimitable_fran
Zyla

:yawning: Taking a Break :yawning:
Mhiccup
MujerMamaMismo
Scalpel

: Waiting to be Ready :
wannabemoms

WTF is Going on With My Body?

Sept BFP!!!

-Rachel

#2 of 271 Old 08-31-2007, 05:14 PM

Put me down as waiting to O! The vat o' sperm arrives 9/7 and I expect to o/insem. that weekend or early the next week.

Funny how the waiting to O weeks pass so much faster than the waiting to test weeks.
#3 of 271 Old 08-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Waiting to know!!!

And still going crazy.

No word on my progesterone levels. They promised a phone call today, and in spite of my many phone calls to them, didn't let me know. I really hope that if I am pregnant, my levels are okay enough to go through the weekend without doing too much damage...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#4 of 271 Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Changes made to here

Mhiccup, I have to, for me personally, disagree about the waiting to O not being too bad. Waiting to O for me is the longest wait. But that's probably due to my late O and short luteal phase.

Hang in there Angela. What CD are you on? When are you planning to POAS?

-Rachel

#5 of 271 Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Waiting to O

BurtsGirl you didn't waste any time! I'm glad to be part of the first and second Queer TTC thread I am currently on CD 3 with predictions to O CD 15. I arranged shipping for 2 vials this time - bumping it up from just one last month.

I have two questions right now(no matter how many questions I get answered about this process, I can always come up with more) -

1) What timing do all you ICIers use?
and
2) Anyone ever see this posting about do it yourself, at home, IUI?
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/...g=4729.1&ctx=0

If I have to do this another month, I'd like to try at home IUI if it's an option. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of doing this.

I hope this is a good month for us all!
Pranava

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#6 of 271 Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 PM
kjm

Currently Sperminating?
Where am I now?? We did track down our extremely kind KD and he squeezed in a load before work---what a guy! He offered to come by tonight after work (not really sure that I'll still be up:yawning AND he said to keep testing and we'll keep our times set for Sat, Sun and Mon-- who could ask for anything more??? He understands that this is our prime month, If I carried to full term, then I'd birth when my work winds down and we'd still have a couple months before DP starts acupuncture school. Anyway he is being sooo great, maybe I should buy him a donor present.

oh yeah I went to the dollar store today and got 10 tests and 7 OPKs
unfortunately the $1 OPK had no line for me right now so I'm a little weary as to their infallibility??

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#7 of 271 Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 PM

Waiting to Know!

I am 9DPO tomorrow and will be testing for the first time in the morning. I was going to wait a little longer, but DW has basically threatened my life if I do not test tomorrow!

My breasts are so freaking sore and my temperature spiked today (8DPO). Then again, my breasts could be sore b/c I am due to start AF in a week. Let's hope it is not that.....
#8 of 271 Old 08-31-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post
Anyone ever see this posting about do it yourself, at home, IUI?

If I have to do this another month, I'd like to try at home IUI if it's an option. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of doing this.
Hey Pranava,

I do my IUIs at home. I have a friend who's a nurse come and do them for me. Though she has worked in a women's health clinic, she had never done an IUI before, so I actually researched what needed to be done, and found the necessary supplies. If you, or anyone else, is interested, let me know and I can walk you through what we do. I should add the caveat here that most doctors will flip if you mention that you want to do this, and it is a sterile procedure, so there is some level of risk involved. So, if you're going to do it, you need to feel comfortable that the person inseminating you will be able to keep sterile, and gently navigate through your cervix into your uterus. In my experience, unless you have professional equipment, it has also been helpful to have two people here. My girlfriend is a vet (and thus is comfortable keeping sterile, performing delicate procedures, etc.), and she has assisted with them. You could do it with just you and your partner, but it would be more challenging. Also, many women have talked about the IUI being a painful or uncomfortable procedure. I have not found this to be the case, but if you are particularly sensitive, or if your os isn't open before ovulation, you might be more comfortable having someone with more experience do it. (And finally, I'm sure you know this, but make sure that you're using washed sperm for an IUI.)

All of that said, we've actually found it quite easy. If you search the archives, there were a few postings some months back about how to do an at home IUI. If you can't find them, I can recap them here.

You, or anyone else, should feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

Good luck!

#9 of 271 Old 09-01-2007, 08:26 AM

Today is 9DPO and I tested for the first time. It was, of course, a BFN. That's okay because it is still really early.

However, what do you think of my chart?
#10 of 271 Old 09-01-2007, 08:48 AM

Hey 2happymammas, that chart looks really promising : Does it always shoot up like that around 8dpo?

I just noticed you're in Indy! I'm in Bloomington and looked briefly for a local sperm bank so I didn't have to pay $200 in shipping costs each month. Just wondering, are you using a local sperm bank?
Pranava

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#11 of 271 Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Changes Made to Here
Quote:
1) What timing do all you ICIers use?

2) Anyone ever see this posting about do it yourself, at home, IUI?
1. We did 12 and 28 hrs past opk this time but if there is a next time we'll do 24 and 36 hours past opk because after the last insem this time my cervix opened WIDE.

2. We are considering doing a IUI-type insem next time but still haven't decided. DW would place the catheter into the os but not all the way into the uterus, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
Currently Sperminating?
Where am I now?? We did track down our extremely kind KD and he squeezed in a load before work---what a guy! He offered to come by tonight after work (not really sure that I'll still be up:yawning AND he said to keep testing and we'll keep our times set for Sat, Sun and Mon-- who could ask for anything more???
I put you at waiting to know since you're already inseming. And what a great guy you have there! Must be really nice to have sperm on tap! And a donor present sounds like a very sweet gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post
However, what do you think of my chart?
2hms, your chart is looking AWESOME!!! It looks like you've never had a spike this big and that's great! Good luck and sending you !!

My temp took another jump also this morning but it's not too unusual. Man this waiting to test is killer!! I'm holding out till 10 dpo though. Today is 5 dpo, half way there! Angela, if we get a BFN this month I might contact you on the at home IUI's. Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Rachel

#12 of 271 Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Hey 2happymammas, that chart looks really promising : Does it always shoot up like that around 8dpo?

I just noticed you're in Indy! I'm in Bloomington and looked briefly for a local sperm bank so I didn't have to pay $200 in shipping costs each month. Just wondering, are you using a local sperm bank?
Pranava
No, we did not exactly use a local bank. We bought 11 vials from Pacific Reproductive and then had them all shipped at once to a local bank. We paid $250 to ship them all to a bank 15 minutes from the house. That saved a lot of money b/c we would have paid $200 each month to ship. Plus, PRS in CA charges something like $110 quarterly for storage and Genome Resources charged us $121 per YEAR for storage! We did not go with Genome b/c they have a really small selection of donors and do not have an ID release program.

Oh yeah....my temp has NEVER spiked like this!
#13 of 271 Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info AngelaM. Here's the link to the posts about at home IUI in case anyone's interested - http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=678014

I have unwashed vials on the way this month, so it's plain old ICI for me in September. But definitely washed and IUI at home for October(if necessary).

2happymammas - that's a great idea to ship it all at once. I'm also using an ID release donor from PRS, but I couldn't buy that many vials at once because someone had bought them all up (hmmm...maybe it was you?) I had to wait for 2 to come out of quarantine.

#14 of 271 Old 09-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info AngelaM. Here's the link to the posts about at home IUI in case anyone's interested - http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=678014

I have unwashed vials on the way this month, so it's plain old ICI for me in September. But definitely washed and IUI at home for October(if necessary).

2happymammas - that's a great idea to ship it all at once. I'm also using an ID release donor from PRS, but I couldn't buy that many vials at once because someone had bought them all up (hmmm...maybe it was you?) I had to wait for 2 to come out of quarantine.
Um, what's your donor #? Wouldn't that be something. We have some friends and found out that we both chose the same donor. It was not planned at all. However, it's really cool b/c our kids will share a genetic link with another family with two moms.
#15 of 271 Old 09-01-2007, 10:53 PM

2happymammas - that's an amazing coincidence! I think I'd really enjoy that. I love big extended families, no matter how they are formed. My donor number is 4352.

#16 of 271 Old 09-02-2007, 12:17 AM

Hey Burts Girl, can you add me to the list please? I guess I'm (reluctantly) taking a break.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#17 of 271 Old 09-02-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Changes Made to Here

I'm out of town the rest of today and tomorrow. Be back tomorrow! Have a good Labor Day everyone!! Good luck to those testing and inseming this weekend!!

-Rachel

#18 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Where is everyone? Any news?

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#19 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I'm back. Not so sure about my temps. Mon's temp was taken on very little sleep but if acurate I could be looking at an implantation dip today? I don't know. I'm just really not feeling it although I'm trying to stay hopeful but I'm having classic PMS signs. I planning to test on Thursday morning.

-Rachel

#20 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
kjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
Where is everyone? Any news?
My internet, my life line was down all weekend!!!
But we did 3 insems and let me tell you we are really rocking this "insem adventure" thing. The first we just did at KD's house as it was an +OPK emergency and we only had 1.5 hrs before he had to be at work, the whole thing was a bit rushed but MUCH better these rounds without the damn speculum. The second round I ordered "para llevar" and we took or first adventure. We picked up the swimmers at KD's house and drove out to the peace pagoda. The swimmers were kept warm between the legs of DP (who kept worrying that they were gonna jump outta of the syringe and into her)
As we drove she reminded me to watch my speed several times and we laughed about the spermie scene in Forget Paris (DP's all time favorite movie) when Billy Crystal gets pulled over trying to make it back to the clinic with his "load"--fortunately no cops were on our route.
DP was very nervous that with such beautiful weather there would be many hikers enjoying the pagoda. I assured her that I'd be wearing a long skirt and that I was sure we'd be able to find a secluded place. I reminded her that the "plunging" only takes 30 secs and then if people happened by they would just see me lying down. I assured her that if the parking lot was really full then we wouldn't go up, we'd just go insem at home (10 mins away).
Finally we arrived at the mt. to see not only the parking lot full but also both overflow areas were jam packed---then we noticed a sign that read "wedding parking"---OOOPS no insem happening there today

DP didn't want to do it at home, as it was the most beautiful day of the year. I let her pick the default spot; beside a small lake near by. We went down to the waters edge and picked a semi private spot. I laid down and we readied ourselves. II was beginning to have doubts if this was "THE" place just as DP plunged--at the same moment that the plunger was completely depressed-- a small symphony of Church Bells poured across the lake--It was pure magic. There is a church around the corner but there was no one there at the time?? It was like 2:15 in the afternoon and so a timed song seems unlikely--It was just pure magic--And wait there is more.
As I laid on my back DP got a bit bored and said "I think I'm gonna go for a swim," just as she took her last article of clothing off and stepped into the water music came pouring out over the lake again. This time it wasn't from the bells but rather a classical piece (not sure who or what) with flawless acoustics coming from a PA system somewhere near by? She swam through that piece and then a second song (with vocals Perry Como maybe?) And then began swimming back towards my spot just as the song from Forget Paris began playing????!!!????!!! WTF--DP was sufficiently moved. After the Forget Paris song the music ceased. We laid together at the waters edge feeding each other wild grapes from a vine I discovered---you can see the darndest things when your lay on your back for an hour!!
NOW That is an amazing conception story huh?? One to be proud of--That one will be hard to beat next month, so lets hope there is no next month:

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#21 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 AM

kjm- That's such a nice insemination story! I hope this is it for you guys; what a nice way to remember babymaking!

BurtsGirl- Could you put my chart next to my name? I finally figured out how to link it... Also, yes, definitely PM me if you want to talk about IUIs.

And unfortunately, it looks like I'll be doing another round of insems. Got a BFN today, at 11dpo. When I was pregnant before, I was getting faint positives by 10dpo, and my body felt really different. So, though my temps are still high and AF hasn't appeared yet, I'm pretty sure she'll be here by tomorrow. Now I'm trying to choose a new donor for next time, and get everything lined up for another round of inseminations. Sometimes I find this process really, really exhausting.

In other news, I got an email from dissertation director over the weekend (and who emails people about work over a holiday weekend?!?) asking for 25 pages of writing by the end of the month. So, I guess I need to take some brief breaks from thinking about babymaking 24/7 and actually get focused on my work again...

Hope things are going well for everyone else. Fingers crossed for lots of September conceptions!

#22 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

KJM, I'm so jealous!! How magical and inchanting! Sending bunches of your way!!!

Angela, I got your chart up. Sorry about the BFN. Good luck working on your paper!

-Rachel

#23 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM

you can add me to the "waiting to know" list

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#24 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 PM

Angela pooh on the BFN! Here's hoping that the chart is lying, and if not here's to a fresh start!

We're all ordered up and the vat-o-sperm arrives Friday. I don't expect to O until Monday or Tuesday, but it'll be there just in case.
#25 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 PM

Scalpel- Fingers crossed!

Mhiccup- Congrats on the impending sperm arrival! I just called TSBC to order more long profiles, now that my last donor has sold out. Assuming I get my period tomorrow, I think my next batch will arrive at the end of next week. What's funny is that the first time I ordered sperm, I didn't realize how large and weird looking the container would be, and I had it sent to my office, so that it wouldn't have to sit out on the porch of my house. Well, the office manager almost fell off her chair when she saw the FedEx guy carrying that thing in! I think I fueled the fires of office gossip for months.

I'm headed out to Cape Cod again tomorrow to visit a friend. It should be a nice break, and hopefully will make me feel better about not being preggers...

#26 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
Scalpel- Fingers crossed!

Mhiccup- Congrats on the impending sperm arrival! I just called TSBC to order more long profiles, now that my last donor has sold out. Assuming I get my period tomorrow, I think my next batch will arrive at the end of next week. What's funny is that the first time I ordered sperm, I didn't realize how large and weird looking the container would be, and I had it sent to my office, so that it wouldn't have to sit out on the porch of my house. Well, the office manager almost fell off her chair when she saw the FedEx guy carrying that thing in! I think I fueled the fires of office gossip for months.

I'm headed out to Cape Cod again tomorrow to visit a friend. It should be a nice break, and hopefully will make me feel better about not being preggers...
We are so using the same bank!!! And, you know, we're not too far away from you - western mass. We actually drove out to RI on Monday for a PawSox game. They lost, but it was fun anyway (I love baseball!).
#27 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiccup View Post
We are so using the same bank!!! And, you know, we're not too far away from you - western mass. We actually drove out to RI on Monday for a PawSox game. They lost, but it was fun anyway (I love baseball!).
How funny! Well definitely let me know if you want to have tea and talk babymaking next time you're in Providence. I'm always happy to expand my circle of ttc-ing friends!

#28 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 10:53 PM

Not much new to report. Today is 12 DPO and I am still getting BFN's. My temps are staying pretty high, which is a great sign. I am really, really hoping that my temps do not start dropping. I hold my breath each morning when the beeper on the thermometer goes off..... If I get a BFP, this will be the first place I post.

If I am pregnant, I feel bad for the booger. It's already had White Castle twice in two weeks
#29 of 271 Old 09-04-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post
Not much new to report. Today is 12 DPO and I am still getting BFN's. My temps are staying pretty high, which is a great sign. I am really, really hoping that my temps do not start dropping. I hold my breath each morning when the beeper on the thermometer goes off..... If I get a BFP, this will be the first place I post.

If I am pregnant, I feel bad for the booger. It's already had White Castle twice in two weeks
Sounds promising!! : What's White Castle?

#30 of 271 Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 AM

White Castle is only the grossest hamburger joint I've ever encountered! They're a midwestern thing and famous for their Sliders. Sliders are small burgers made of questionable meat and topped with loads of slimy grilled onions. They supposedly Slide right down your throat.

I know this is just my opinion. Plenty of people like White Castle, but I personnaly hate all onions. Onions are EVIL!!! You can't even get a burger- hold the onions- at White Castle because they will cook it on the same grill where the onions just were - still tastes like onions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page