Midwest sperm bank? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#61 of 265 Old 05-25-2008, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going with MWSB next month (06/08) but am curious as to how Joanna ships. I was planning on using NW but four of the six donors I wanted are almost out and the other two are in quarantine until late summer/early autumn. Good thing about NW though was the extensive description of the dewar and storage of vials at home during insemination days. I can't find the same detailed info from MWSB. Does she ship in a dewar or some other method? Do I need to have my own storage tank filled with LN2 or is MWSB just really that much more reasonable in only charging the shipping rate without the $500 deposit NW charges?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Anxious to know.
#62 of 265 Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 PM
kbk

We are working with a fertility center but this past week, an incident with memorial day came up and we needed to have it shipped to us rather than the clinic. Joanne shipped it in the dewar no problem. there was no deposit necessary that i know of. We have never done home insemination so i'm not sure if that's different in terms of cost but it looked to me like shipping as long as local/chicagoland area is free.
i looked at NW yesterday and noticed alot seem to be in short supply too.
good luck to you!
#63 of 265 Old 05-26-2008, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we use midwest with home inseminations. we always get a 7 day dewar that is overnighted to us, and already contains the liquid nitrogen inside. it looks exactly like the standard dewar that you see in pictures online, complete with basket and straws that hold the vials.

joanne will call you the morning your shipment is to go out and give you the fedex tracking number to track the package online. usually by 5pm, it will be scanned into the fedex system, and you can track it from there. it's guaranteed to be delivered by 3pm. mine usually shows up in the 2 o'clock hour.

there is not a dewar deposit with mwsb. the price of shipping also includes the return shipping. we get the tank delivered overnight via fedex, and the return is also fedex, but second day. again, paid for. you just have to affix the return label.

we have never had any problem with the dewar or the fedex service. i think there is a $25 late fee per day beyond 7 days if the dewar is not returned in a timely fashion. if you are having issues, call joanne. she seems really easy to work with.

we choose mwsb over nw, mainly due to to shipping charges, vial fee, and the dewar deposit. although mwsb is a small place, we have had nothing but the best personalized service. my words of wisdom would be to nice and patient with joanne in your interactions with her. of course that's general knowledge - you never want to burn any bridges, you know?

good luck!

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#64 of 265 Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 PM

Hey guys, thinking of going with MW( have to decide by tomorrow). The counts people report are the biggest reason. But Joanne is steering my away from my first choice, #188 and toward #44 or #09. I am just curious why. Maybe it is just because they are better donors, what do you think?
#65 of 265 Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmomof5 View Post
Hey guys, thinking of going with MW( have to decide by tomorrow). The counts people report are the biggest reason. But Joanne is steering my away from my first choice, #188 and toward #44 or #09. I am just curious why. Maybe it is just because they are better donors, what do you think?
I think she knows which ones are the best and just wants to make sure you get the most for your money. She was very honest with me and told me that my first choice wasn't that good for home inseminations. She gave me a list of other donors that are supposed to work better for doing it at home. Of course now we're doing IUI with a RE, so it's kind of a moot point, but I think she just has your best interest in mind.
#66 of 265 Old 05-30-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmomof5 View Post
I know of 3 woman who have used donor #188 with their IUIs, they said his counts were great, but none of them got pregnant using him. After they switched donors they got their BFP. I was looking at the donor sibling registry and there are no entries for #188(no reported pregnancies or woman who already have a child from him on there, but the other donors do). I know there have been a few woman who have gotten pregnant from donor #44 in the last 2 months and the same with donor 009. Joanne just lets you which donors have had good success with home insemination lately, but if you want to try with donor 188 I says go for it.
#67 of 265 Old 05-31-2008, 05:25 PM
kbk

hey all, i never heard back. anyone use 060 with luck?
also-i think joanne suggests those two because they have good rates of pregnancy. anyone know what a "good" post thaw or overall count is? numberwise?
i just want to be sure what we're using with 060 is considered good.
thanks
#68 of 265 Old 06-01-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk View Post
hey all, i never heard back. anyone use 060 with luck?
also-i think joanne suggests those two because they have good rates of pregnancy. anyone know what a "good" post thaw or overall count is? numberwise?
i just want to be sure what we're using with 060 is considered good.
thanks
I may be wrong, but I think anything over 20mil is good for IUI. Have you used him yet? do you kow what his count is?
#69 of 265 Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahrens77 View Post
I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with 197. So far, so good!
Hi. DH & I are considering using 197. Did you do at home insem or dr assisted? if you don't mind me asking...
#70 of 265 Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 PM
kbk

We are doing dr. assisted IUI. no medications but they do the inseminations. We are considering switching to fresh but still going back and forth about it all-oh i just wish it would happen! but i know it will soon
#71 of 265 Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 PM

there is a yahoo group for anyone who are currently using miswest sperm bank or anyone who has used them in the past.
#72 of 265 Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 PM

We are using Midwest after using NWCryo for a couple of tries. Midwest was much more informative on the donors to me. We narrowed our donors down to 038, 235, 097 and 216. I checked the donor sibling registry and saw one of these donors had like 15 kids just on there alone and like another poster, that kind of bothered us. I know most of them do have a lot but that seemed a bit much. We ended up going with 216 and will try the first time this month. I would have never looked at him on my own because he didn't meet my height requirement, eye color requirement and nothing "grabbed" me from his profile but he was included in the high at home pregnancy rates donors she emailed me and I was oddly drawn to him. He was our second choice after the doctor but she saw a picture of our adopted son and said 216 was a perfect match based on him so we went with him. She said many people are on their second child with him. If anyone else is using 216 or has kids by him I would love to be in touch. Feel free to email me eandrews32@aol.com
#73 of 265 Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 AM

My partner and I are starting over again. We switched to using midwest coming from the cyrolab.

We had a miscarriage last year and were ready to start again...

We have decided to go with donor 38. We would like to hear from people who has sucess with 38 in resulting preg and/or children.

Hoping the next few weeks go well and we will be off to the dreaded 2WW...

I wish everyone luck...

Anyways who has used number 38 that has been sucessful please drop us a line sher.stapp@gmail.com

We send babydust to all..
#74 of 265 Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Ladies

I used donor 216, but didn't get pregnant. I have talked to 4 women who have a child from this donor. I have seen 2 little boys and a baby girl and they are just adorable.

I got pregnant with donor 038 the first time I used him(but it didn't stick). I'm using him again this cycle. I know some of the women who have children from this donor as well. We keep in touch and all the 038 babies look very simular. They are all adorable as well!

There is a Midwest board for all Midwest sperm bank users. You can talk with others using the donor you have chosen.

Come join, http://community.babycenter.com/grou...est_sperm_bank
#75 of 265 Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Hi folks. I'm in the very early stages of the conception process. I got extremely excited when I finished charting my first full cycle last month! My partner and I plan to begin trying to conceive in April this year, so I wanted to stick my nose in and say hi! We plan to use MSB and I'm really encouraged by everything I've read on here!

Thanks!
#76 of 265 Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 PM

We are thinking of using Midwest. I was wondering if you can do a vaginal insem with the IUI vials?

Thanks!

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#77 of 265 Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes, you can do an vaginal insem with the iui vials, just make sure that you get the swimmers as close as possible to the cervix and deposit them there.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#78 of 265 Old 02-27-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggleblue View Post
yes, you can do an vaginal insem with the iui vials, just make sure that you get the swimmers as close as possible to the cervix and deposit them there.
Thanks! We are looking to use #009, then our second choice is #44. I think I have seen a few here use those? Also I tried to join the NBBC group too.

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#79 of 265 Old 02-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Yep,

I'm pregnant with a 009 baby as we speak!

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
#80 of 265 Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodybird511 View Post
Yep,

I'm pregnant with a 009 baby as we speak!
Cool! CONGRATS!!!!! How long did it take (how many cycles) and how many vials did you use each time? We were just this morning told there is a waiting list! I hope we can get them by the 25th of March.

#81 of 265 Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Well, first time around, I got pregnant on cycle number 3. I then had a miscarriage at 10 weeks back in November. This time, I got pregnant on cycle number one. We only used one vial each cycle and did in-office IUIs.

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
#82 of 265 Old 03-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Hello all. I am just getting in contact with midwest and am in the milwaukee area. I'm wondering if anyone here knows a doc or midwife who will sign off on home insems?
#83 of 265 Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 PM

As far as counts go, under 10M is not so good, 10-20M is OK, over 50M is terrific. I got pg and m/c with fairfax donor (1913) with a whopping 80M count. Their prices are too high, so I am looking into MWSB...
#84 of 265 Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibugirl662 View Post
As far as counts go, under 10M is not so good, 10-20M is OK, over 50M is terrific. I got pg and m/c with fairfax donor (1913) with a whopping 80M count. Their prices are too high, so I am looking into MWSB...
wow, I never had a count like that with Fairfax. I used donor 1914 there. Donor 1913 has A LOT of babies. Midwest donors have a awesome counts as well. Good Luck!!
#85 of 265 Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molrobin View Post
Hello all. I am just getting in contact with midwest and am in the milwaukee area. I'm wondering if anyone here knows a doc or midwife who will sign off on home insems?
Sorry, I have no idea. Maybe make an appointment for a checkup with an OB and ask for him/her to sign.
#86 of 265 Old 03-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Anyone using donor 268? I've used him for two IUI's with no success. I don't want to use the super donors 44 or 9. Was thinking about switching to donor 188?
#87 of 265 Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketjill View Post
Anyone using donor 268? I've used him for two IUI's with no success. I don't want to use the super donors 44 or 9. Was thinking about switching to donor 188?
I wouldn't swtich to donor 188, there have been a lot of women who have used him and have not had any success and there are no children from donor 188 on the donor sibling registry. There is a thread on donor 188 on the midwest sperm bank board at the babycenter.

Good Luck with donor 268!!
#88 of 265 Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM

We used Donor 38 and we got our BFP on the first try... Our doc stated this donor was awesome and this donor rocked and he was all over the place.

EDD 11/3/09

Good Luck to everyone.
#89 of 265 Old 06-10-2009, 10:10 PM

I am planning on using 216 this July/August and will do up to 3 IUIs with him. I have talked to a few other women on another board that have children born from this donor and a couple that are pregnant from his donations. Joanne says that he is one of her best (fertile) donors. I hope he is for me! Anyways, best wishes for anyone who is cycling this summer. I hope for many BFPs!

P.S. I used 188 for IUI twice but both cycles ended in a BFN. I haven't heard about anyone get pregnant with him yet so decided to switch donors.
#90 of 265 Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 PM

I have been having a lot of trouble getting a hold of Joanne. She doesn't return emails very promptly and keeps telling me that she will call me, but never does. We have now missed out July ovulation date and I am beginning to get concerned that we are going to miss our August one too. Any suggestions? Getting quite frustrated

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page