Queer Parenting Meetup! November 4! Read on for directions/details! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey folks,

Recently on the queer ttc thread, some people were throwing around the idea of trying to organize a meetup of sorts. I wanted to open this up to everyone here in the queer parenting forum, and see what sort of interest might exist. Several of us TTC-ers are somewhere in New England- Northampton had been suggested as a possible meetup spot.

If people are interested, how about posting:

1. Potential locations (city/state)
2. Potential dates
3. Potential activities (which should be kid-friendly, of course)

I am in Providence, Rhode Island, but would be happy to have an excuse to take a day trip, depending on where most of us are located.

Maybe we can get queer parenting meetups happening all over!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm not parenting, but I'm definitely in the tribe.

I've had great meet-ups lately with other local queer mamas. If you're near SE Michigan, drop me a line.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post

If people are interested, how about posting:

1. Potential locations (city/state)
2. Potential dates
3. Potential activities (which should be kid-friendly, of course)
Melbourne, Victoria - Australia on Sunday November 4th at Ceres Environment Park - Animals and play equipment for the kids, cafe for the parents, lovely walks and community garden plots for everyone to enjoy. Perfect! And only 1 minute from my house where you can all come and stay! See you there

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:07 AM

We're in the Boston area, but we go out to the Northampton area 1 or 2 weekends a month to visit family and friends, so that would be a fine location for us, though of course closer to Boston would be great as well! I'd suggest something in the afternoon if people are driving in, like maybe 2 p.m.?

If it were warmer, I'd suggest Look Park in Northampton - so fun, with paddle boats, and lots of room to sort of run around and play, but not too big...

There's the Butterfly Conservancy in Deerfield, right next to the Yankee Candle Shop - we could have the butterfly part be the official "activity", then those who wanted to visit Yankee Candle afterwards could do that too... they have a restaurant, and picnic tables, and outdoor seating available... (the reason I suggest Yankee Candle be optional is that it's VERY scent-heavy, which might keep some families away)

Also, there are often little family festivals on the Amherst Commons, that might be fun... or isnt' there a corn maze out there somewhere? I know, not very helpful in terms of specifics, but maybe it'll spark something!

We'd definitely be interested, whatever it is... Yay!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:51 AM

We are up for it; Northampton is good from us, since we'd be coming from the other direction--upstate NY (it's about 1.25 hours). We love Look Park, even if it's getting cooler, but haven't yet been to the Butterfly Garden, and want to go, so that would be good too! Or anything kid-friendly, really. The first weekend of Nov. is good for us (11/3 or 11/4)--is that too far away for you all?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I know nothing about the logistics of what's around Northamptom, so I leave that to you folks, but the first weekend of November sounds good to me. And yes, I vote early afternoon for those of us who are driving from out of town.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:47 PM

This Southern mama is totally jealous!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:48 PM

I could possibly do it, but I'm not sure. Anywhere in the northeast is equally doable for me. I would just get a flight out of Buffalo with my lil one.

Exciting!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM

Hi! (I am hopefully responding directly to pleasantstreets??) I posted recently on this board. As I wrote above, I am a senior at Smith College, talking with lesbian moms in and around the Pioneer Valley, for an ethnography I am doing as part of an anthropology class I am in. I would love to talk to you and your partner about your experiences if you are interested. Also, if you are not interested but know someone who might me, I would really appreciate it if you would pass along my contact info. You can reach me at [email protected]. Hope to hear from you!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Noho! First weekend in November! We're totally there.

I think we'd head out Saturday and arrive around noon. We'd stay overnight because we love it there, so would be up for a Saturday or Sunday meet up. Or both!

Oh goodness, meeting queer MDC mamas sounds like a dream.

So glad this is taking shape.

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 AM
kjm

I'd be up for either Sat or Sunday if it after 1pm

Look Park would still be good if the weather is good--no paddle boats but we could still picnic? and maybe the Butterfly Conservatory if its bad weather??

yeah

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
I could possibly do it, but I'm not sure. Anywhere in the northeast is equally doable for me. I would just get a flight out of Buffalo with my lil one.

Exciting!!!
How exciting! I love that this is becoming an international gathering!

I can't imagine that this will be the easiest/cheapest thing, but if flying into Providence is the best thing for you, I'd be happy to pick you up and drive you to Northampton. It's a two-hour drive, so this probably isn't the best solution, but the offer is certainly open.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I'm not parenting, but I'm definitely in the tribe.

I've had great meet-ups lately with other local queer mamas. If you're near SE Michigan, drop me a line.
I'm in SE Michigan! At least for now... we are planning a move to South Jersey in the next month or so, I doubt we are going to make a November meet up, but I'd definitely be interested if there were a second one
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 AM

mumma #2, I PMd you with the details.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:06 PM

I want to come! We live in Northampton, and would be happy to host a family as well if anyone needs a place to stay (our guest room has a king size bed for those who cosleep ). We could even gather at our house if the weather doesn't cooperate for an outdoor activity. We live in walking distance of town, and have plenty of room for a hangout.

The first weekend in November works for us!

Fun!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
I want to come! We live in Northampton, and would be happy to host a family as well if anyone needs a place to stay (our guest room has a king size bed for those who cosleep ). We could even gather at our house if the weather doesn't cooperate for an outdoor activity. We live in walking distance of town, and have plenty of room for a hangout.

The first weekend in November works for us!

Fun!

Lex
Yay! Lex, if you really would be up for hosting, I think that having a gathering at someone's house would be nice. That always feels better to me than trying to get a group together in a public place, worrying about finding tables, bathrooms, each other... We could all bring some food, so that that wouldn't be a burden on you, and have a fun, pot-lucky afternoonish gathering. What do people think??

In terms of dates, Sunday is the only day that works for me that weekend- I'm presenting at a conference in Providence on Saturday. What do people think- Sunday, November 4, sometime in the afternoon??

Old 10-11-2007, 04:59 PM
kjm

Quote:
In terms of dates, Sunday is the only day that works for me that weekend- I'm presenting at a conference in Providence on Saturday. What do people think- Sunday, November 4, sometime in the afternoon??
I could hang out from 1-3pm Sunday?

thanks for hosting Lex

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 PM

Sounds good!

I'll PM everyone who wants to come with our address so you can mapquest directions to our house. The offer still stands for anyone who wants to stay here Saturday night.

So, who's coming?

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in! I have conference stuff going on Saturday, so I'll just come up for the day, but thanks so much, Lex, for the offer of your guestroom.

I'm so excited to meet people in person!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 AM

It sounds like so much fun! I'm a Chicago mama, so it's too far for me. But I hope everyone has fun!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM

we're definitely coming! cross your fingers that Katie is newly pregnant when we meet!

can't wait,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
How exciting! I love that this is becoming an international gathering!

I can't imagine that this will be the easiest/cheapest thing, but if flying into Providence is the best thing for you, I'd be happy to pick you up and drive you to Northampton. It's a two-hour drive, so this probably isn't the best solution, but the offer is certainly open.
Thank you for the offer! That is so kind of you.

However, I don't think I'm gonna make it. I was envisioning a meet up maybe a longer ways away, more time to plan. Too quick for me, this one! But I'm thrilled that it looks like it's gonna be a go, and I can't wait for you all to report back!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Thank you for the offer! That is so kind of you.

However, I don't think I'm gonna make it. I was envisioning a meet up maybe a longer ways away, more time to plan. Too quick for me, this one! But I'm thrilled that it looks like it's gonna be a go, and I can't wait for you all to report back!
Hmm, that's a bummer. Well, let's work on planning something in the new year, with plenty of advance notice for those who need to travel. Anything between NYC and Boston can work for me. And in the meantime, we'll be thinking of you in November, and will definitely report back!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 PM

I'm supposed to also be in Providence, RI that weekend, but I may just go down there on Saturday and come back for Sunday - and there's still a chance I may not go at all.

Muchas gracias to Angela, who e-mailed me to say "Hey, where are you? We're hanging out in your backyard!"

I haven't been around much - sorry, it's a little hard and painful.

I'm in the middle of an unwanted TTC break and kind of miserable about it.

I want to start TTC again in the spring - hopefully with fresh sperm and a known donor, so if anyone knows any sperm bearers in/around Northampton, I would be interested in meeting them and having conversations and negotiations, starting anytime.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM

Check yer PMs, Papa! I've been missing you, it's good to see you here.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

And apparentely FtMPapa and I are hanging at the same conference on Saturday, so if anyone is going to be in Providence and wants to do a little pre-meetup meetup, drop me a line!

Small, small world...

Old 10-15-2007, 12:20 PM

We're in!

And would love directions!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM

Sounds like fun, but we're in DC and it'll be waay too close to our EDD for us to make that kind of trip. We're moving north next year, though, so maybe we'll make it to a future meetup.

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
Old 10-16-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectantmami View Post
It sounds like so much fun! I'm a Chicago mama, so it's too far for me. But I hope everyone has fun!
Hey! I'm a chicago mama too. Want to set up a little midwest type thing?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamimapster View Post
Hey! I'm a chicago mama too. Want to set up a little midwest type thing?
Definately!!!

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.

User Tag List