Queer TTC November 2007 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well the IUI this morning didn't go as uneventful as I would have liked. I took the day off work, thankfully so at least I'm home. Everything was looking good he inserted the catheter and started administering the sperm. The cramping was extremely uncomfortable. It started getting worse and worse. I broke out into a sweat, got nauseated, and started shaking. I laid there for about 10-15 mins and I HAD to go to the bathroom. So I got up with Terri's help and walked to the bathroom. While I was sitting on the toilet the room was really spinning and i was pretty sure i might pass out. So i got up and made it back to the room, how, i'm not sure. I was complete soaking wet with sweat and pale. At this point DW went to get the nurse. the nurse came in and took one look at me and walked back out. She came back in with the blood pressure machine and some pain relievers. Blood pressure was ok and after about 30 minutes I was starting to feel a little better but I was still very dizzy. I laid there for another 30 minutes or so with Terri putting a cold wash cloth on my face and was finally feeling good enough to go home.

What a morning. That was not fun at ALL! The nurse came back in and said that next time, if there is one, they'll wash the sperm again in house. She also confirmed that this had happened before. She said I got v*, can't remember but it started with a v.

Girls, I seriously thought something was major wrong or I was going to die. I started to question whether the sperm bank accidentally sent ICI instead of IUI sperm. I've never felt that dizzy and out of it so quickly and believe me I've had some fun with drugs and alcohol in my early years. I made it home and ate some chicken soup for lunch and took a nap (on my left side where the eggies where) I'm still on the couch and still having some mild to moderate cramping. I just was not expecting all this. Has anyone else had any experiences like this with IUI?

Frog, I'm terribly sorry to hear your on hold. Sending you and turtle positive and healing vibes.

IMH congrats!!!

-Rachel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 PM

BurtsGirl- Big, big hugs. I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. How scary. I have never experienced anything like that with an IUI- never anything more than a tiny bit of cramping right after the sperm is inserted. I'm very glad that you were in the doctor's office, and that they said that this has happened before. (I mean, not glad that it's happened to anyone else, just glad that it's not a totally unheard of thing.) Take care of yourself today, and feel better soon.

xo
a

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#183 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

oh my God, Rachel, no, I've never had something like that happen, ever! How horrible! I'm so sorry and glad you're all right!

Angela, thanks for the AF consolation... now if I could get my cramps to go away. (I know, I know... take some Advil, maybe?)

Speaking of Advil, has anyone else gotten the advice to take a mega-dose of Advil about 1/2 hour before an insem? My clinic recommends 600 mg. That's 3 pills! They said to me that it was proactive for the cramping but I never had that... think it's worth it?

OK, I gotta order some wigglies for this go-round... xo jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#184 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
Speaking of Advil, has anyone else gotten the advice to take a mega-dose of Advil about 1/2 hour before an insem? My clinic recommends 600 mg. That's 3 pills! They said to me that it was proactive for the cramping but I never had that... think it's worth it?
If you've done IUI before and the cramps have bothered you, go for it. But if you haven't cramped or haven't done an IUI before, I'd hold off. I had no cramping or discomfort of any kind with my IUIs.
#185 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
If you've done IUI before and the cramps have bothered you, go for it. But if you haven't cramped or haven't done an IUI before, I'd hold off. I had no cramping or discomfort of any kind with my IUIs.
Yeah, no, never have, really...

your google ad for the day:

Lawyers Protect Fathers
Present Your Case & Fathers Rights Lawyers Respond. Free & 100% Secure
www.LawyersLegalLaws.com

While I understand that this is an important issue, this just seems like an odd ad to pop up in our forum

And have any of you read the ad "Moms, consider us, please"? It's a web site of 2 gay guys who want to adopt. I had to wonder: were they burned on the agency thing? Can gay couples not adopt where they live (I haven't dug through their page to figure out where they live)? Or is a google ad link to a web page really going to be a more affordable, reliable method of adopting a child? Yet another

#186 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 PM

RAchel -- yikes! I think it's a vegal response that you had. A friend of mine had it and it sounded horrible. I'm so glad your partner was there and the nurse seems like she took good care of you. Take it easy tonight! And may all the stress be worth it!

Randi -- can't wait to hear the outcome of your insems. Sounds like things were looking good! And right on for going for it.

Keely -- Wishing you and Mollie peace, rest, and healing on your break. We had a break this summer and it was awesome. It truly felt like a vacation even though we were "doing regular life," because we didn't obsess non-stop about everything TTC-related.

Simcon -- Woman, you deserve a BFP after that craziness around your insems. Phew!

As for us, we're on a month-long break as Katie gains a bit more energy and also because our absolutely most-beloved donor has agreed to come in December to insem in person. We figured it was better to wait a month than to try all the madness of express male/sperm shipping right around Thanksgiving.

be well all,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#187 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl View Post
We figured it was better to wait a month than to try all the madness of express male/sperm shipping right around Thanksgiving.
Is 'express male' a joke that I've just discovered or just a really cute typo?

(If it's a joke that I didn't know until now, I'll be going to hide under a rock now. Buh-bye.)

#188 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 10:39 PM

hope you feel better soon, Rachel
#189 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm so sorry BurtsGirl! That sounds terrible - like your body went into shock or something. I hope you will not have to do that again.

lots of to you!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#190 of 384 Old 11-15-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
RAchel -- yikes! I think it's a vegal response that you had. A friend of mine had it and it sounded horrible. I'm so glad your partner was there and the nurse seems like she took good care of you. Take it easy tonight! And may all the stress be worth it!
THAT'S IT! Vagal response! Thanks, Megin!

Thanks everyone for the support! I really appreciate it. I'm feeling much better, still some tightening and mild cramping though. I've been on the couch most of the day. I hope I'm at least 95% better tomorrow so I can go into work. Here's hoping all this lying around on my left side works to my advantage.

-Rachel

#191 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

wikipedia article on vasovagal syncope (in case you wanted to know what it was like I did!)

I think that I experienced this once when I had food poisoning and was, ahem, sick out both ends at the same time. I ended up lying down on my bathroom floor until the room stopped swimming. Was horrible. Sorry again Rachel

#192 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 02:12 AM

My right eggs were not separating.......and so we cancelled my cycle today.
I was/am very bummed. AND next month I have jury duty right around the time I'd be cycling....... (and already got excused one week.....) So, I guess we'll just take the month off - enjoy the holidays.......and begin again in January.

Thanks ladies for all your support.....
Randi
#193 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Randi

So... any particular list you want to be on?

#194 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 AM
kjm

huh? what is going on I feel as if my "taking break" has been highly contagious. Damn, sorry y'all--But I am glad to be in the fine company of Randi, Megin and Katie--Lets all take one giant exhale ladies
PHHHEEWW That was a mighty gust of wind!!!!!!
Randi-- Too little, Too much, Too big, Too many--what a crazy balancing act huh?? I'm sorry mama--may your break be rejuvenating
Meg--guess I won't be able to bring you sperm from SF--schucks!! I was having a lot of fun imagining my conversations with security. "Officer does it really matter what it is? I have clearly met the regulation of less than 3 oz, this is barely 3cc!"

Rachel--damn girl--scary shit, glad you took it easy. It sounds like a fluke but you are certainly NOT the clinic's poster child right now. I'm dizzy just thinking about it.

As for us we got some crazy making going on!! No AF yet??:
I'm on CD 31--I bleed CD30 80% of the time and occasionally CD31--BUT I always start around 3-4am (there has been one cycle this past year when I started later and that was before I found out I had to stop progesterone by 28 to bleed normally!!)

Because I knew this month wasn't happening I stopped progesterone a day early even (CD 27) just to hastily rush the bitch in and get on with my live--But she ain't showing!!! UUgggghhh!!

I know what you are thinking NOPE-- we did test again BFN??!!!?!??!?!

I did have suspicions that this was an anovulatory month? would this have an effect on my menses? No egg= No blood? It just doesn't make sense!!
I never thought I'd want AF here, but come on already!!:

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#195 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 11:46 AM

Randi, so sorry to hear that.

Jen - Thanks for the link. That was pretty much me except I didn't actually pass out although I think that was just from pure will. This was also the first time I've ever experienced this so I hope it's not a reaccuring thing.

KJM - Wow, how cool would it be if your pregnant, sorry I'm getting a little excited! At what point would you go in for a blood test?

Angela, Pran, how are you guys holding up?

mhiccup - come back and tell us that AF is no where in sight!

PS: I'm feeling MUCH better today.

-Rachel

#196 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM

How about the list waiting to be ready?

Randi
#197 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 PM
kjm

Rachel--I don't think I see a Blood test in my future, already failed one this month:--I'd think that if I can't get a BFP on a Early Response by 17 DPO, then its not looking good---EREP should be able to detect 12.5 mLu right??

Not crossing my fingers--but still no signs of AF??

so so so confusing...

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#198 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 01:12 PM

Keely -- an anovulatory cycle can totally mess with when you bleed. and more importantly mess with your MIND. Ugh! Sorry we can't call on you two to transport spermies for us. That would have been perhaps the best conversation ever at security. "Yeah, um....the dry ice? Oh, I just like my "liquids" really cold. Ahem." Too much.

Randi -- I am so so sorry that you had to call off this cycle. I can't quite understand all the details about your eggs, but I'm super sorry for all of the frustration. Enjoy a restful break.

And Jen -- express male is a real thing, but also a double entendre/joking kind of name. So I wouldn't worry about not knowing it. It's when you ship cooled fresh sperm for insems the next day. It's not frozen anon stuff, but cooled stuff from a known donor. It has good results for some and not for others. So that's why I'm glad that we'll probably get to just go the fresh route. Phew!

be well all,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#199 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
And Jen -- express male is a real thing, but also a double entendre/joking kind of name. So I wouldn't worry about not knowing it. It's when you ship cooled fresh sperm for insems the next day. It's not frozen anon stuff, but cooled stuff from a known donor.
Can you say more about this?
#200 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
What a morning. That was not fun at ALL!
Geez BG, that sounded awful. I'm glad you're feeling loads better now and have my fingers crossed for you that it was totally WORTH IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTRANDI View Post
My right eggs were not separating.......and so we cancelled my cycle today.
I was/am very bummed. AND next month I have jury duty right around the time I'd be cycling....... (and already got excused one week.....) So, I guess we'll just take the month off - enjoy the holidays.......and begin again in January.

Thanks ladies for all your support.....
Randi
Crappity Crap. I'm sorry. Waiting sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post

I know what you are thinking NOPE-- we did test again BFN??!!!?!??!?!
I know you don't need me to contribute to the crazy making but you know that some people never get a BFP on a HPT? You could be one of those freaks of nature...:

As for me, I've made it to 7dpo without having too much nut-casery. I've had an uber stressful week at work culminating today in our AGM and annual lunch/celebration day for our members. It'll all be over in 12 hours...that's my mantra right now. Anyway, the upside of the stressful week is that I've been relatively distracted from pregnancy obsession....

....humour me, nonetheless, about signs that I could possibly be pregnant
1.) Perfectly fresh chicken smells rotten to me - this usually happens to me a few days before AF is due - never usually 10 days before.

2.) I am exhausted to the point of not being able to function properly. I cannot tell you how much I have forgotten this week...and yesterday I smashed one of our big rice jars AND 2 cups, all in separate events. This exhaustion comes after 2 or 3 weeks of feeling the best I have in a LONG time.

3.) My boobs were incredibly painful for 5 minutes a couple of days ago. Pain to the point of distraction.

Anyway - I just thought I'd get this out there so that I could let it go and avoid the temptation of obsessing. I'm not really hung up on these imagined symptoms, honestly

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#201 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Hi everybody. Sorry to keep folks on pins and needles, but the jig was up by 11 am on Wednesday.

Work got crazy this week, so I didn't follow up here on the board. I think we're springing for two vials this time, and if it doesn't work, we'll have to take a month off because the next insem. would be right smack in the middle of our trip to Houston for Christmas. The good news is that the bank told me last time that our donor wouldn't have any more vials out of quarantine until the spring, but when I called yesterday they had released some 50-odd vials - and high quality at that! I asked for the numbers in advance this time, and I was surprised to hear how much they could vary for the same donor. At any rate, our guy does have some with pretty low numbers, but they send the better ones first.

Frog, so good to see you back and so sorry to hear about your delay.

More to everybody else later.

kisses!
#202 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 PM

re vasovagal syncope, sorry you had to experience this! I had a number of episodes in my late teens and twenties. from what I've heard, they tend to disappear after being pregnant so far that's true for me, none during or after pregnancy. all the best to you

as for this month's ttc, I'm only 4dpo and trying not to obsess too much
#203 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 PM
kjm

quick post between jobs

well the bitch came and with a vengeance--she is tearing me up right now!!
Ouchy ouch ouch--She must be mad about her late arrival?

Hey AF chill out--I know you are indisputably here!!!

#204 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
quick post between jobs

Hey AF chill out--I know you are indisputably here!!!
I'm sorry keely - I was still holding my breath even if you were resigned to the fact

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#205 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 07:19 PM

Wonderful women,

I have been surprised when several times the word bitch has been used here to denote AF. Can I respectfully request that we don't do this please? I've never been one to refer to my period as a curse or a negative thing as I see the value in celebrating it as part of our womanhood
BUT
more importantly, it really offends my feminist sensibilities. Perhaps it's just me, though I suspect not, but I really despise the word bitch when used to abuse/describe women and I find it just as offensive in the context of AF.

I really don't intend to finger point or to cause friction though I'm happy to have further respectful discussion if someone sees fit - I hope that this request is received in the spirit it's intended.

Thanks,
Jess

PS - this is nothing to do with swearing - if I thought I could get away with it, I would swear a whole lot more on this board but I'm paranoid that the mods are watching

#206 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Keely- I am glad AF finally showed up (though I know that sounds strange...after two miscarriages, each time I had to wait about 60 days for AF to show up again, and it was MADDENING!).

Funny that my wife posted about shipping cooled sperm...but I had never heard it called "express male"

Frog- I am certainly not the expert--I think Simcon is-- but it was seeming alluring for a while because our KD lives on the other side of the country, so he would ship a sample two or three days in row, express MAIL/MALE, and we could thaw it and use it...theoretically. WE haven't actually ever done it.

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
#207 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiccup View Post
Hi everybody. Sorry to keep folks on pins and needles, but the jig was up by 11 am on Wednesday.
Damn

Quote:
Double Damn. Keely, I'm so sorry, I too still had a little hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_baby_mommy View Post
re vasovagal syncope, sorry you had to experience this! I had a number of episodes in my late teens and twenties. from what I've heard, they tend to disappear after being pregnant so far that's true for me, none during or after pregnancy. all the best to you
BBM, thanks for this. I was VERY, very worried about having to go through this with the a possible pregnancy, though it's never happened before. I hope that was the last time it does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
I have been surprised when several times the word bitch has been used here to denote AF. Can I respectfully request that we don't do this please? I've never been one to refer to my period as a curse or a negative thing as I see the value in celebrating it as part of our womanhood
BUT
more importantly, it really offends my feminist sensibilities. Perhaps it's just me, though I suspect not, but I really despise the word bitch when used to abuse/describe women and I find it just as offensive in the context of AF.
I don't completely agree with you, MMM. Regardless I can respect your request. I know I personally have not been very happy when AF has shown and to be able to come here and bare my raw emotions has been definately helpful in the emotional rollercoaster this process takes me on. With that in mind I don't think anyone on this thread, including myself, has meant it in the context of defacing our womanhood or as a negative/abusive thing toward women at large. But it helps to direct some of the anger and frustration onto something, besides our partners and ourselves. AF seems fitting since at least I hope she doesn't come every day in the 2WW. When she does it's the end of hope, the end of that dream, the end. It's frustrating.

-Rachel

#208 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Part of me is rubbed the wrong way by us calling our menstruation "Aunt Flo", that's just weird to me, the personification of a normal bodily function. I know that some folks grew up with it, though, I have a friend who has called her period that all her life so at the same time it is a definitely female thing so it does make sense? In a way?

And if you are personifying your bleeding and you're trying to conceive, of course, she's the last person you want to see on your doorstep and you don't like her dropping by all the time, just when your hopes are getting up that it was really your buddy FTB (First-Trimester Barfing) knocking at the door, whom you are either anxiously waiting to meet for the first time or are looking forward to re-greeting, and who will probably outstay their welcome by about, oh, 5 weeks, regardless of how happy you are to see them now. But instead it's your auntie F, and she'll be poking you in the lower abdomen, and dashing your hopes and making you feel unhappy and crampy and making you spend even more $ on frozen pop, and then leaving as soon as she came... and you want to blame someone, and take it out on someone who won't be hurt that you're calling them names. So yeah, I can see calling "AF" a "bitch".

See that little speck on the map with the square red flag with the white cross? That's Switzerland and I'm going to go sit there and declare myself neutral on this topic. I freedom of expression and catharsis through swearing like a sailor (especially when it goes hand in hand with drinking beer) but I hate to see someone offended.

#209 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 PM

BG - I appreciate your perspective and am glad you felt you could discuss this.

I think I muddied the water with that new-agey stuff about celebrating womanhood. For me, that's a personal thing and I'm fine if others don't see it that way.

For the record, I'm all for coming here and sounding off about getting your period in the midst off TTC (or whatever other TTC you want to be angry, sad, frustrated, in pain etc about). It really is just the word bitch that irks me because of it's dark history of describing women in a derogative manner. If I bleed next week, I'll be the first one to come here and rant about my f**king period. In no way did I mean to detract from that space. I'm really sorry if I've disturbed that place for you or others - if I have, I will retract from this thread.

Hi Switzerland.

Oh, and also, in no way did I think that anyone intended to offend, nor meant any harm with it's use. I understand that it's a word that has been co-opted into language and is commonly accepted.

#210 of 384 Old 11-16-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
I'm really sorry if I've disturbed that place for you or others - if I have, I will retract from this thread.
oh heavens no!!!

Quote:
Hi Switzerland.
It's beautiful here in the Alps!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page