Queer TTC January 2008! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the encouragement Frog and Jen. Why is it that I am sooooo much more stressed about the whole prospect this time around?

Also, does anyone have any words of wisdom for me with regards to coordinating at-home insems with a toddler around? I'm thinking it's going to be fun! (And by that, I mean rather crazy...)

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Frog -- Katie has never gotten a positive prior to day 15. Who knows, maybe you just show pos a bit later than some...

Still keepin' hope here.

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Frog I've been stalking your chart Looks like it's very rare for your temp to go up on 14dpo!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knit_grrly View Post
BurtsGirl - think we might be cycle buddies this time around... I'm expecting (as much as I can expect with my weird cycle!) to O sometime in the next week.
Hop on board Tash looks like there's going to a quite a few of us in the 2WW!
Should make the weeks go by fast...maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
Sometimes even a short break helps! I took a break from being obsessed for about, oh, 2 days and then I ovulated
laughup

-Rachel

Old 01-24-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post

Also, does anyone have any words of wisdom for me with regards to coordinating at-home insems with a toddler around? I'm thinking it's going to be fun! (And by that, I mean rather crazy...)
We have an almost 3 and a 5yr old running around. I know at their age, they are more apt to listen and sit still but we usually insem at bedtime or naptime or get the kids busy in an activity or something so we can be alone to do it together but when it's just time for me to hang out on my back, Jess can go back to take care of the kids. Hope that helps!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
kjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsGirl View Post
Hop on board Tash looks like there's going to a quite a few of us in the 2WW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplelah View Post
O-ing in the next 7-10 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennM1021 View Post
Looks like we're pretty much on the same cycle. Swimmers are scheduled to arrive in a week...and I'm expecting to O in about 10 days

Me tooo!!!!!! Choo Choo ist the MDC Queer TTC Train!!!

My HSG went well yesterday and we're getting geared up to insem late Next week!!! Rachel? did our cycles sync up over our break?? huh??

As for the HSG I just want to say DO NOT DO IT ALONE!!! YUCK YUCK YUCK!! Mollie had her first day of class (her last pre-requist--oh yeah for those of you following along Moll got her acceptance letter to acupuncture school Yesterday!! yeah)
Anyway yeah she couldn't come to the appt, I asked KD but he would have had to miss a days work (and a days worth of tips--he's a waiter). I felt like asking my mom or another friend was a little too dramatic--a little over the top. But when I told my cousin (who is a HB Midwife) she said I'm coming with you. I didn't think they would let her in, but they did--actually we didn't give them any say in the matter--she just walked in with me and stayed. It was soooooo important for me to have a hand to hold and someone to be there for me---It was a yucky procedure--I mean clamping your cervix open for 10 mins!!! eeeeekkk

so yeah don't try to be a tough girl and swing that procedure alone!!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplelah View Post
We have an almost 3 and a 5yr old running around. I know at their age, they are more apt to listen and sit still but we usually insem at bedtime or naptime or get the kids busy in an activity or something so we can be alone to do it together but when it's just time for me to hang out on my back, Jess can go back to take care of the kids. Hope that helps!
We'll be inseminating in the morning, since KD is going to have to work on his laptop at the hotel during the day. Well, at least on Thursday and Friday anyhow.

I'm hoping that a DVD of Peppa Pig will keep DS busy just long enough for DP to help me out, and then, as you said, she can tend to DS while I "hang out" with my iPod and a snack.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
Me tooo!!!!!! Choo Choo ist the MDC Queer TTC Train!!!

My HSG went well yesterday and we're getting geared up to insem late Next week!!! Rachel? did our cycles sync up over our break?? huh??

As for the HSG I just want to say DO NOT DO IT ALONE!!! YUCK YUCK YUCK!! Mollie had her first day of class (her last pre-requist--oh yeah for those of you following along Moll got her acceptance letter to acupuncture school Yesterday!! yeah)
Anyway yeah she couldn't come to the appt, I asked KD but he would have had to miss a days work (and a days worth of tips--he's a waiter). I felt like asking my mom or another friend was a little too dramatic--a little over the top. But when I told my cousin (who is a HB Midwife) she said I'm coming with you. I didn't think they would let her in, but they did--actually we didn't give them any say in the matter--she just walked in with me and stayed. It was soooooo important for me to have a hand to hold and someone to be there for me---It was a yucky procedure--I mean clamping your cervix open for 10 mins!!! eeeeekkk

Keely, I'm not sure who swung off, I think it was me. I'm starting to sync up with another friend on MDC who is also TTC and our cycles weren't together and now they are. Not sure but glad to be on the train! Toot!

YEAH Molly!!!! That's such good news!

Oh, eh, yea, I purposely left the clamping part out because if I had known about that part I wouldn't have gone through with it. Did you see those things! : The doc put them on the table and I was like what are those for!? Glad you had someone with you, girlie, I agree not something you want to go through alone.

-Rachel

Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 PM
kjm

Quote:
The doc put them on the table and I was like what are those for!? Glad you had someone with you, girlie, I agree not something you want to go through alone.
Yeah right???!!! It was my (new) OB that came to the hospital to do the HSG--which was a nice surprise because I remember you telling me your HSG OB was not your reg OB? right?

yeah so he opened the "package of death" and said out loud "I don't know why they put all these scary things in here!! Out of all this, the only thing I will be using is this" reaching for the "Clockwork Orange Style Cervix Clamp of Doom" ---Needless to say I wasn't put that much at ease!!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM

can I please be moved to waiting to know

We had our IUI this morning and our swim team looked really good. I also had an ultrsound on Tuesday and I have 2 follicles, 1 good size and one even bigger. So here's hoping forth time is a charm.

Keeping hanging on to everyone in the 2 week wait. I keep checking in to see if we have any more queer BFP's!! Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:17 PM

hi, everyone. I've been lurking quietly this month. O was late, but I got my +opk yesterday and did the first insem this afternoon.

*fingers crossed*

it was more difficult this time -- os was more closed, so there was more poking and cramping.

second round tomorrow.....

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 PM

wow, lotsa fingersex around here

:

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 01-24-2008, 07:18 PM

creeping back quietly...

removing my tiara (<-----drama queen)

Quote:
As for the HSG I just want to say DO NOT DO IT ALONE!!! YUCK YUCK YUCK!!

It was soooooo important for me to have a hand to hold and someone to be there for me---It was a yucky procedure--I mean clamping your cervix open for 10 mins!!! eeeeekkk

eek.

Quote:
Oh, eh, yea, I purposely left the clamping part out because if I had known about that part I wouldn't have gone through with it. Did you see those things! : The doc put them on the table and I was like what are those for!? Glad you had someone with you, girlie, I agree not something you want to go through alone.
eek x 2.

Quote:

yeah so he opened the "package of death" and said out loud "I don't know why they put all these scary things in here!! Out of all this, the only thing I will be using is this" reaching for the "Clockwork Orange Style Cervix Clamp of Doom" ---Needless to say I wasn't put that much at ease!!!
AAAK.

I'm having one of those tomorrow.

So, obviously, we kept our RE appointment You guys were really right about what was going on between DW and me, so I have been working very hard at listening better and not fixing everything...and it has helped both of us tremendously. AND, there's mandatory counselling for all people undergoing donor insems in Canada now, so we HAD to go see a therapist, and it was great, DW thought it was really helpful/positive, and actually wants to keep going!

So, long story short, we're all good, our doctor is SUPER-NICE and SUPER supportive of queer families, we have a plan (this is an information-gathering cycle right now - bloodwork, HSG, U/S etc.), then we'll be good to go in February if everything turns out ok.

I'm pumped about all these TWWs, ladies!

Frog, I'm totally stalking your chart.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM

Crystal! I'm so glad you're back!

Here's hoping I'll give people something to stalk. Right now, I'm still : about WTF is going on with the thing.

Talked with our midwife about the pros and cons of a blood test and turtle and I decided not to pursue it and just wait to see what happens. Time will tell, after all.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:35 PM

Frog, what would be an example of a "con" for getting a blood test?

I can be very impatient and "NEED" to know everything down to the last little detail, I would have had to get a test done by now if I were you.

I'm just curious, was it more a personal choice or a medical issue?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemoms View Post
Frog, what would be an example of a "con" for getting a blood test?

I can be very impatient and "NEED" to know everything down to the last little detail, I would have had to get a test done by now if I were you.

I'm just curious, was it more a personal choice or a medical issue?
First, getting the test would require a lot of running around on turtle's part--first to get the lab slip from the midwife, then to pick me up at work, then to take me to the lab, then to return me to work.

Second, money.

Third, it's not going to tell us anything we won't know in another 48 hours or so, anyway, so I didn't really see the point. Whatever the results would have been, they won't change what we'll do next cycle if I'm not pregnant right now. And on the outside chance that I am pregnant right now, we'll know that in a few days, anyway.

I'm practicing being Zen. And you're not the only one who thinks I'm crazy for not jumping on the chance to have that beta done!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:43 PM

Zen is good. And you're right, there's no point in running around crazy-like for something whose outcome you can't change.

I must try to remember that myself.

In the meantime, while you're being all Zen and stuff, I'll stress for you and keep stalking. : It will distract me from my anxiety about the HSG.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I remember you telling me your HSG OB was not your reg OB? right?

"Clockwork Orange Style Cervix Clamp of Doom"
You would be correct, I'm seeing an RE not an OB. And that title suits it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirlz View Post
We had our IUI this morning and our swim team looked really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
O was late, but I got my +opk yesterday and did the first insem this afternoon.
to you both!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
wow, lotsa fingersex around here
Someone needs to do a DDDC for you with this in it! : Wonder if that would get us banned though.

Quote:
eek.
eek x 2.
AAAK.

I'm having one of those tomorrow.
Good luck tomorrow. So glad you guys are back in the game and that the counseling is really working for you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I'm practicing being Zen.
Can you teach a virtual class on this frog? Cause I'm gonna need it in, oh, two or three weeks from now.

-Rachel

Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Can you teach a virtual class on this frog? Cause I'm gonna need it in, oh, two or three weeks from now.
actually, i was sorta freaking out today when i found out i'm a tay sachs carrier (who is already 7 weeks pregnant and donor has unknown tay sachs status), and i found all kinds of free mediation downloads online... and i did 3 of them and fell asleep during the third one and felt a lot better when i woke up!

i just searched for "online meditation"....

JD
Old 01-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Frog: Your chart is torturous! I can't cope...I don't wanna let myself think... but then...
(I'm sure you know how it goes )
Quote:
Me tooo!!!!!! Choo Choo ist the MDC Queer TTC Train!
Me tooo!!!!!!! I'm expecting to O next Thurs and will be insem'ing Weds & Thurs

We'll all either be a great support to one another or by sheer volume, drive ourselves completely insane!

Quote:
creeping back quietly...

removing my tiara (<-----drama queen)
As one prone to histrionics as well, can I just say how glad I am to see you back! Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy13 View Post
actually, i was sorta freaking out today when i found out i'm a tay sachs carrier (who is already 7 weeks pregnant and donor has unknown tay sachs status), and i found all kinds of free mediation downloads online... and i did 3 of them and fell asleep during the third one and felt a lot better when i woke up!

i just searched for "online meditation"....

JD
mediation online...good plan. I'm totally onto it!

off to google tay sachs...i've never heard of it.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Someone needs to do a DDDC for you with this in it! : Wonder if that would get us banned though.
As much as I'd love a DDDDC : since i haven't had but one ever and that in honor of my 1000th post and that one was terribly cheesy, wow, how would *that* one reflect on me! And inevitably it would still be offensive, I'm sure, to at least one of the mamas in my kombucha thread or my old DDC at least my Sept 04 mamas would give me a chance to explain it...!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:55 AM

Hi all! Boy there is a lot of activity on the board today!

As to update everyone on our TWW... I am very calm and very zen right now. I was so stressed over whether or not Quasar would O and when and how to do the timing and the whole awkwardness of the inseminations. It is such a relief to me to just sit back and wait. Of course, right now, with it only being 2-3 DPO, there isn't much to look for or obsess over.

We were having a bit of a temp. taking obsession last night. We had been using just a regular digital thermometer from Kroger to take Quasar's temp orally. It seemed OK at first, but then we noticed that we could get very different temps in the course of a few minutes to hours. Part of our problem is that we are night owls with very irregular sleeping behaviors. So the temp is taken at different times of the day. Usually between 10am and noon, but can be earlier or later depending on Quasar's waking time. So, I had bought a BBT thermometer from CVS. I really don't think it is all that different from the Kroger one but it does seem to take a little longer to read the temp so I don't know if that makes it more accurate. Anyways, between the two thermometers last night, we got readings from the low 96s to 98 something when taking the temps back to back. The CVS one seems more consistent and I think we are going to stick with that one for now.

Is it better to take the temp vaginally? Is that more accurate / consistent? We are going to stick with oral this cycle but if we need to do it next cycle, I think vaginal might be better.
Thoughts? Comments?

Oh wait a minute, I thought I wasn't obsessing about anything.

Wow, just so excited for everyone on here. Here is hoping for lots of BFPs coming up in Feb (and one for Frog in Jan PLEASE!!)

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:59 AM

we switched from a regular thermometer which did one percentage point to a BBT one that goes to 2 percentage points, and my charts started to be a lot more clear... less fluctuation... so i think it definitely helps.

hey what's DDC, DDDC and DDDDC????

JD
Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy13 View Post
hey what's DDC, DDDC and DDDDC????
DDC = due date club, a sub-forum in the "I'm Pregnant" forum. Threads based on due dates.
DDDC = typo, I think
DDDDC = dirty deed done dirt cheap, where for a small donation to mothering.com you can give someone a quippy byline under their username. It's in bold letters and they're usually cute and snarky. Frog has two bold things under her username (when you see a post from her in the thread) but they've been up eternally so I dunno if those are really DDDDCs or something else. But it's the same thing.

If you look up in the "Support MDC" box (top left of screen) there's a link to "Place a DDDDC".

OT (off-topic): frog did someone object to your short-lived line about taunting and feeding in your sig that was a link to your blog?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Just trying to pass the time during my first 2WW.

I was wondering, have any of you had a reaction to donor sperm? The first time we tried, it seemed like there was cramping afterwards (we did ICI) and I was REALLY tired all day long. In fact, I ended up sleeping pretty much all day. Now, sleeping all day isn't that unusual for me, but this time it was like I really couldn't get up. The next day we ICI'd again, and I didn't have really any symptoms at all. I felt perfectly fine and went about my day without any issues. I suppose I might have still been coming off of my stomach virus from last week, but it's much easier to blame the swimmers.

I just added my morning temperature to FF and it adjusted to show my O date. We ICI'ed on day 21 and 22 and I O'ed on day 22. Of course, I'm not really that confident in my temps being very accurate, but I do believe that the chart is right. I think next cycle (hopefully there isn't a next cycle, but gotta be prepared anyway...) I'm switching to vaginal temps with the basal thermometer.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
As much as I'd love a DDDDC : since i haven't had but one ever and that in honor of my 1000th post and that one was terribly cheesy, wow, how would *that* one reflect on me!
I hope you know I was seriously only teasing. I just think it's hilarious and now every time I type out fingersx I think of fingersex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartycat View Post
Is it better to take the temp vaginally? Is that more accurate / consistent? We are going to stick with oral this cycle but if we need to do it next cycle, I think vaginal might be better.
Thoughts? Comments?
I don't think I've ever heard anyone taking their temp vaginally. But I believe it is certainly an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar View Post
I was wondering, have any of you had a reaction to donor sperm?

I just added my morning temperature to FF and it adjusted to show my O date. We ICI'ed on day 21 and 22 and I O'ed on day 22.
I also had some very slight cramping when we were doing ICI's at home. It wasn't bad or anything I couldn't handle just felt the swimmers were in there doing their job. Mine were as mild or milder than AF cramps. Now with IUI I have more severe cramping. Not sure why but it's happened every time. I don't know if it's the sperm or just having the catheter in my uterus. Doc says it's the catheter.
And great timing, btw!

-Rachel

Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Hi all-

Still hanging in, waiting to O...

KJM- glad you had someone with you for your HSG!

Crystal - HSG's suck, for sure! My lovely step mom sent me some of her T3's which really helped me get through. BUt on the bright side - they are relatively fast AND (here's the really good part) they are supposed ot increase fertility for three months after, or so I've read. (and I got preggo right after mine, so I'm sticking to it!). Hope it goes okay.

Quasar - On another fertility board I was on, I knew someone who had desparate allergic reactions to the sperm... it was madness!

Frog - I can't believe how Zen you are being!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Frog.

Came just to check your chart. Thinkin' of you and turtle today.

be well,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:59 PM

I have a pocket full of pills that I'm going to be taking in a few hours...HSG at 2:00 EST.

Blech.

But I do like all these stories of pregnancies right after the HSG that I keep hearing...here's hoping the first try is the lucky one!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:28 PM

Frog...

Quasar, Not to be too technical, but... You actually ovulated on CD18 and we inseminated in the mornings on CD17 and CD18. The dates were the 21st and the 22nd.

Just waiting now....

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.

User Tag List