Queer TTC January 2008! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tigermiep, I was knocked out the first day we inseminated. It was like I couldn't stay awake really. Lucky for me, I didn't have anywhere to be or anything going on that day (we did it in the morning). We did it again 24 hours later, but I felt perfectly fine that day. So I am not sure if it was a reaction from the insemination, or just from me not sleeping as well the night before or not feeling well the week before.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#482 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 AM

We are 12 dpo and we tested today and got a negative We are not calling all odds off that I am not pregnant.......and we both have a *feeling*. I'll get a test done on Tuesday and we'll see what that says.

Anyone want to encourage and/or discourage?

Randi
#483 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 04:13 AM

Randi, I wouldn't give up just yet. It's stll early on. Here's a little extra for you!

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#484 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 AM

Randi, I wouldn't give up yet! It shouldn't be over till there is red!

Thanks for the welcome!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#485 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 AM

We did an IVI yesterday and are waiting for our midwife this morn to do an IUI. I a so excited to be able to do it in my home instead of the OBGYN office. That was not a pleasant experience for me.
What is everyone else's opinion on staying in bed for hours after insem? I got so antsy yesterday and got up after a 1/2 hour (I also had to go to work). DP feels like I should stay put.

None of my dreams are about babies... i'll have to do more visualizing
#486 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 AM

randi

So much for sleeping in today :

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#487 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerkong22 View Post
What is everyone else's opinion on staying in bed for hours after insem? I got so antsy yesterday and got up after a 1/2 hour (I also had to go to work). DP feels like I should stay put.
We just did vaginal insemination with fresh sperm, but I did stay in bed with my hips elevated for about 30-45 minutes after each insemination when we conceived our son. I has snacks, and my iPod, and a book, and I just hung out. It wasn't that fun, but it seemed to work! I also rotated a full 360 degrees during that time, since that is supposed to help make sure that your cervix is coated by the sperm. If you're going IUI though, then that's not a concern.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#488 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerkong22 View Post
With my son, I had my insem, lay with my hips up for 10-15 minutes and then went and taught a full day of school. So I would say that while it is luxurious and lovely to lie around all day, and that everyone definitely deserves to do it, it's also not necessary to get knocked up.

Hey I had another baby dream last night ! In this one I had a positive pregnancy test and my partner and I were so surprised that we did another one just to be sure. Two dreams, two nights in a row - :

#489 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 PM

Hugs to Snoopy... i'm so very sorry for your loss.
Hugs also to Frog... Hopefully next time will be the right one.

And hello to everyone else !

There is so much going on in this thread that its hard to keep up with for me who only can come a few times a week !

I went to the fertility clinic twice this week, on day 3 and on day 7 for an untrasound. I am going back tomorrow morning but according to my Dr, all is well and she thinks she will give me the trigger shot monday night and IUI wednesday morning.

I am excited.
I am scared to death.

I am very scared of the procedure... and I know I need to be relaxed...

We will soon join all of you in the tww... our testing date will be on valentines day !

Coco

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#490 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Randi, hang in there... Still plenty of time to get a BFP! :

Quasar, you said "we did it" : twice... Hee, hee... I'm so juvenille! :nana:

Coco, You will do fine. Good Luck!!

Jen, Oooh, more baby dreams! Yeah! Can you send some our way? I'm afraid to ask Quasar what she might have dreamt last night. Sometimes her dreams make me scared to sleep next to her. :

tiggerkong22, I would say 30 minutes is more than enough. I read somewhere that with IUI you should lay on each side as well as on your back for a little bit to get the spermies to go to each fallopian tube. And if you know or have an idea as to which ovary you ovulated from, to definitely lay on that side.

Have a good day all.

Still sending lots of good thoughts to Frog and Snoopy.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#491 of 598 Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I'm actually fine, just knocked on my butt by the flu. turtle and the cats are taking very good care of me and I'm trying not to cough directly on anyone/thing.
#492 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM

my temp went up today so i feel like we finally had good timing.
we shall see...
have a good day everyone!
#493 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM

my temp went up today so i feel like we finally had good timing.
we shall see...
have a good day everyone!
#494 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM

awesome, tigger.

I feel like I should be my own lolcat:

5 DPO. I can haz bfp now?
with a sad picture of me. no baby dreams yet...

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#495 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM

My really long reply to each person just got eaten.:

So, in summary:

Snoopy, I'm so, so sorry...

Everyone else who just insemm'd or soon will be...good luck!

My HSG went off without a hitch, no discomfort at all...tubes are all clear!
My Ultrasound this morning was perfect...
My bloodwork results were available this morning and were perfect...

Please move me to WAITING TO O...we're finally ready to go!

Oh, and lying down for at least 10 minutes after an IUI is definitely worth it...I was reading an article in my doc's office this morning that said your chanches of it working go from 10% with no rest to 29% with 10 minute rest... Personally, I'm spending at least a few hours in bed after DW drives me home as I lay reclining as much as possible in the passenger seat.

Oh, and I had a baby dream the other night. Me, in a hotel room, with a newborn while DW is at a work-related thing...baby is naked but for a hospital blanket...we have no diapers, no clothes, no nothing. And my breast's aren't producing milk because someone "gave" us the baby, I was never pregnant...we later meet with our red-headed transgendered social worker who gives us a credit card and drives us to Babies R Us to do some shopping.

That better not be a premonition.
#496 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM

whooooooooooa, Crystal. : I'm with you in hoping that's not a premonition!!

So I have that funny hot feeling in my throat like I had my whole darn pregnancy, and I just thought of chocolate chips and my stomach turned.

Hm.

#497 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
So I have that funny hot feeling in my throat like I had my whole darn pregnancy, and I just thought of chocolate chips and my stomach turned.
: for you! Hope that this plus all of the dreams is a sign of excellent things to come!

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#498 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Hi all - happy monday...

Hope everyone is faring well!

Randi - 12 days is pretty early - hoping a few more days gives you some good results!

Coco - break a leg on your first try!

tigger -My clinic folks make me lie back for 20 minutes post-procedure, but other than that, we've always been business as usual.

JenInMpls - those are some pretty good signs you've been having!! When are you testing?

Frog- sorry you're sick... hope you kick the flu bug soon!

As for me, I'm frustrated (see - I'm already bitter and anxiety-ridden and I've just started TTC again!). My lovely wife bought me this fertility monitor (the CueII) so we wouldn't have to spend so much on OPKs. This monitor measures electrolytes in saliva and vaginal fluid. You are supposed to get a saliva "peak" which tells you ovulation will occur in 5-7 days and then a vaginal low 1 day prior to ovulation and a peak the day of ovulation. It sounds so freaking simple - not so! I got my saliva peak 7 days ago. I got a vaginal low today. So all signs point to me ovulating. But the OPK is negative and I don't have EWCM. : So - I've decided to ignore said fancy monitor and go with cervical mucuous and OPKs... It's fine I guess - I just wish for once that my body would do something in a "textbook" fashion!

Hope everyone else's Monday has been decidedly less frustrating!

Tash
#499 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
JenInMpls I loved to hear about your dreams! So many women have them before they get BFP's. Women's intuition is an amazing and highly underrated thing

Well, we did what we said we wouldn't, and maxed out another credit card to try with frozen again. Got a +OPK today at noon and lots of EWCM. Also, this is very different for me, but I'm feeling ovulation pain I think. Its more of a deep ache than a cramp on my lower left side. My cervix is still pretty closed, but I'm usually a late ovulator, like 36 to 48 hours past +OPK, so we'll insem tomorrow morning and then again Wed morning. We have the best new catheters too(I never though I'd be excited about a catheter). They're much stiffer and have a rounded tip. Maybe we'll actually make it into the uterus this time!

Those of you who do this at the docs without triggers- if you get a +OPK and go in for IUI the next day, what time is the IUI? 8am? Noon? 2pm?

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#500 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post
Well, we did what we said we wouldn't, and maxed out another credit card to try with frozen again. Got a +OPK today at noon and lots of EWCM. Also, this is very different for me, but I'm feeling ovulation pain I think. Its more of a deep ache than a cramp on my lower left side. My cervix is still pretty closed, but I'm usually a late ovulator, like 36 to 48 hours past +OPK, so we'll insem tomorrow morning and then again Wed morning. We have the best new catheters too(I never though I'd be excited about a catheter). They're much stiffer and have a rounded tip. Maybe we'll actually make it into the uterus this time!

Those of you who do this at the docs without triggers- if you get a +OPK and go in for IUI the next day, what time is the IUI? 8am? Noon? 2pm?
Pranava, I just wanted to say good luck, and that I feel you on the financial pressure of this. I blew every budget in the world on getting pregnant. One thing that helped me feel better about maxing out my credit cards was finding a student loan that I could borrow to pay them off. Better interest rate, fixed terms, etc. I know this isn't available to most people, but one thing that is are loans through local credit unions. Most offer lower rates than credit cards, and generally, better terms. Anyway, just a thought. It helped me to figure out that even though I was going to have debt, there were at least some options as to what KIND of debt...

Good luck on the new catheters too! I saw ones like that, and was thinking of ordering them, though I never did. We always had trouble getting into the uterus. Even the month that I hired a midwife to come and do it, she had a lot of trouble getting all the way in, and I ended up on my back with my legs in the air for a good 25 minutes as she manipulated the catheter, trying to find a way in! Propping my butt/hips up with a pillow definitely helped the angle, and I've heard that filling your bladder can help, though that would definitely make lying around afterwards less pleasant! I've also heard that having an orgasm beforehand can open the os and make it easier.

I did IUIs at home, but my friend who's doing them at the doctor's does this- call by 8am(!) to report a positive OPK. One insem that day, whenever they can schedule you, one the following day, whenever they can schedule you. So, not an exact science, even at the RE's office...

Okay, I'm now going back into lurk mode. Good luck everyone!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#501 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Hi there! Been laid up all weekend with an awful flu! Frog...I feel your pain!! : Anyway...just trying to catch up.

Snoopy...not sure if you're still around...but there really are no words right now.

So, Pranava...I'm glad you brought this up. We are doing our first IUI cycle this month...actually probably next weekend...and I was wondering about timing also. Any suggestions? I typically ovulate mid-day the day following my LH surge...at least I think so. I've heard such different opinions on the timing of IUI's. Just wondering what you ladies think? We are getting two vials...and we're doing this at home. Hopefully we are a little more lucky with the catheters than some of you have been! Ouch!!!

Angela...I'm right there with ya about the student loans! I'm doing the exact same thing. Actually...we're using the extra student loan money I'm getting for grad school to pay off existing debt. I feel so much more comfortable owing that kind of debt than cc debt. It just makes me angry to open those bills up each month!!

Anyway...good luck Pranava! Have you tried the IUI's at home before?

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#502 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
JennM We've tried IUI on 4 cycles, 8 insems in all and no luck getting into the uterus. Usually the catheter will go into the cervix about an inch, then get stuck. I have a retroverted uterus, so maybe that's making it more difficult. But fingers crossed for success this time. I think an actual IUI definitely helps the chances.

AngelaM Thanks for the suggestions about loans. I'll look into that. I've heard about the full bladder thing, but with a retroverted uterus, I need to make it come as far forward as possible. I know this sounds funny, but I think we might try a doggy style IUI. Probably will be the first ever attempted - maybe I should call the Guinness Book of World Records now :

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#503 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Is it normal to have a little bit of blood discharge after an IUI?
#504 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knit_grrly View Post
JenInMpls - those are some pretty good signs you've been having!! When are you testing?
Friday. That's 12 dpo. Tests wait in the closet (bought them when I ordered OPKs last!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post
I loved to hear about your dreams! So many women have them before they get BFP's. Women's intuition is an amazing and highly underrated thing
Yeah ain't that the truth. At least this time I am listening to them! Although it's interesting: I have been really agonizing about home birth, because I want to have one, and my partner is adamantly against it. And I've been plotting how to try to get her to change her mind, even to the extent of planning something along the lines of an intervention (trapping her in our living room with a lot of people who actually know something about home birth). Now that I've had two dreams that involved a successful, calm birth in a medical setting, I'm rethinking whether I should be taking this tack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by more from Pranava
With my son I was steadfastly testing my pee every lunch hour IN THE SCHOOL BATHROOM, which had two stalls. And if it was positive I would call and schedule my insem for the coming morning. On my fifth cycle, I meant to test, but then I had to do something, and then I remembered, and then I forgot, and then I went to teach and I remembered that I wanted to test at about 1:45 while standing in front of a group of 4th graders. so that evening I checked to see if I had missed anything and got the darkest +OPK I had ever had. I figured I had screwed up the timing, but called to schedule the insem anyway, and went in for it a minimum of 36 hours after I surged.

And got pregnant.

I caught my last +OPK at 5 pm right before going out to drink ridiculous martinis and eat yummy thai food , and I called the next morning to schedule my insem for the *following* morning, 8 AM. You have to call by 1:30 the day before you want to have an insem so that they can thaw and process the sample. 8 AM is the only time of day they do insems, I think now because that's the time when a new call dr comes on, and they overlap a little bit. Used to be they had a midwife who did the insems, and I think they had them at 8 AM and didn't schedule any of her clinics until after 9 AM. Anyway, that made my timing about the same as when I conceived big T, so I'm hopeful. The doc who did the insem said all looked good at that the optimum time for inseminating after a +OPK is 24 hours post +.

hth!

#505 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 PM

Waiting to O

Can I be moved to waiting to O? I wanted to thank all those back on the TTC side for the support during the break the last couple of months. It helped a lot to have a place to talk with others waiting to get back into the process. I cannot believe we are actually going to try again, it feels like years, but it has only been 2 cycles.

Frog - I am glad your luteal phase is behaving better, but sorry that you had the flu!

Snoopy - if you're out there, my thoughts are with you.

I used IUI with the doctor for 4 cycles, each time we would get a +OPK and then set an appointment for the following morning. The appointment was usually by 10:00am. No luck for me -

Pranava - I have a kinked cervix and also had trouble with the IUI. Actually it's why we switched - they used some crazy forcep contraption to pull my cervix straight. Yowsers, it hurt! I have not tried it with the midwife...too nervous.
#506 of 598 Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 PM

Hello all!

It feels good to be back after an extended lurking phase.... We're getting geared up to try again after taking the last cycle off. If I can get the swimmers here, we should be insemming early next week.

To those who have gotten bad news this month, my heart is with you....

To those who are braving the TWW, hang in there! I'm about to jump in too!

I think taking a break was a really good idea for me. We've only tried for 2 cycles, but I had a really hard time with the BFN last time. I think I needed to step back and get myself out of that unhealthy head-space I was in, and try to get a little more Zen about the whole process. It was strange to chart last month with no intention of doing the insem, but I got some really valuable information, and an actual +OPK!

Question - Have any of you continued to do OPK tests after you get the first positive? Does the number of days your surge lasts tell you anything, or is it just a waste of tests?

Also, I had my GP run some tests on me, just to make sure everything is working okay. She had me tested for progesterone, FSH, and LH on 5DPO. Progesterone was normal, but she thought the other ones were low. I've looked around and read that you're supposed to test FSH and LH on CD 3. Anyone know if this is correct? I'm thinking my GP (who isn't an OB or reproductive specialist) might not really know what she's doing with these particular tests.

I know I haven't been contributing much this last month, but I just wanted to say that I have been keeping up with you all on your journeys, and I love feeling like I'm part of this awesome, queer, baby-makin' family! Thanks everyone!
#507 of 598 Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 AM

...leaving work in half an hour (early!!) to pick up the swimmers and make a baby

I'm really excited this time around!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#508 of 598 Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
...leaving work in half an hour (early!!) to pick up the swimmers and make a baby
:

#509 of 598 Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 AM

Good luck MMM.

Frog -- I hope you feel better soon!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#510 of 598 Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM

We have made it through the first week of the dreaded TWW. No symptoms yet unless pointy nipples count!

I can't keep up with everyone but good luck to all where ever you are in this crazy journey! Looks like we will have a lot of TWW company here in the next few days!

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page