Queer TTC January 2008! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This was very cool! Before the second insem yesterday, I put the tiniest drop under a cheapy kids microscope I got at Target. There were hundreds or thousands of them in that one little drop, and moving really fast I put that drop back in the vial, closed it up, and looked at it again this morning - 8 hours post thaw - and they're still moving just as fast. I'm going to check them again later to see just how long they live. I'm loving this little science experiment! It's boosted my confidence about this thing working now that I can actually see some living sperm.

My cervix closed up yesterday, so we did insem #2 last night a few hours after it closed. Temp up this morning, so timing was right on this month. I'm feeling very positive

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco99 View Post
Hey all
I need to be moved to waiting to know !

We had the trigger shot at 8pm monday and the insem at 830 AM wednesday (today).

Coco
Very exciting, fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post
This was very cool! Before the second insem yesterday, I put the tiniest drop under a cheapy kids microscope I got at Target. There were hundreds or thousands of them in that one little drop, and moving really fast I put that drop back in the vial, closed it up, and looked at it again this morning - 8 hours post thaw - and they're still moving just as fast. I'm going to check them again later to see just how long they live. I'm loving this little science experiment! It's boosted my confidence about this thing working now that I can actually see some living sperm.

My cervix closed up yesterday, so we did insem #2 last night a few hours after it closed. Temp up this morning, so timing was right on this month. I'm feeling very positive
That's just the kind of geeky thing I'd LOVE to do if I was doing at-home insems. I'm hoping the doc will let me see the little guys when we do ours at the clinic. If not, I'll console myself by continuing to ask what every little bump and shadow is when he's doing my ultrasounds (I got to see my own uterus and ovaries and follicles this week...WAY too cool!)

Sounds like your timing was perfect!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post
I put the tiniest drop under a cheapy kids microscope I got at Target. There were hundreds or thousands of them in that one little drop, and moving really fast I put that drop back in the vial, closed it up, and looked at it again this morning - 8 hours post thaw - and they're still moving just as fast.
Pran, you might just be my hero, girl, you rock. What an awesome experiment! Let us know the results!

Ultrasound today went well. Had one follie that sized around 21-22!! We're going to trigger tonight insem at home tomorrow evening and IUI Friday morning! Woot!

-Rachel

Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Hi all! Well, in things that probably mean nothing news... Yesterday, at 7 DPO, Quasar was urinating frequently. This morning, there is a mild ache on the side of her left breast and her uterus was a little crampy. Oh, and her nipples are still insanely pointy. I think it is a whole lot of nothing really, but the frequent urination was the first thing that made me think... well... maybe??? And I really like the medical word for it, "pollakiuria", so now I have an excuse to say that over and over. I'm such a dork.

Pranava, Good Luck!! : I took the tiny bit that remained in the syringe and squeezed it out on to a slide and looked at it with the microscope at work. It was a lot of fun! And then I kept the syringe in my bra all day to keep it warm and looked at them again 12hrs post thaw. They were a little slower but definitely still on the move!!

Lets see if this works...Swim team

As far as the big O... I have read that it helps open the cervical os and I can say that definitely true as I have seen that up close and in person when Quasar and I did a cervical exam post O. I have also heard that it is supposed to suck them up into the cervix, but I have yet to find any documentation of that. In one book I read they sited some study that in women that didn't O, only 50% got sperm from their vagina to their uterus. It went up to 90% with O. Not really sure how they did that study... but that is what I read.

We definitely tried for the big O this time around as we thought it would be medically and emotionally ideal. But as everyone else has said, its tough to perform under pressure and generally awkward situation. But if Oing helps, then our chances went way up!!

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemoms View Post
That's just the kind of geeky thing I'd LOVE to do if I was doing at-home insems. I'm hoping the doc will let me see the little guys when we do ours at the clinic. If not, I'll console myself by continuing to ask what every little bump and shadow is when he's doing my ultrasounds (I got to see my own uterus and ovaries and follicles this week...WAY too cool!)
Hey Wannabemoms,
We got to see a sample of our swimmers right before they did the IUI this morning. They showed us what they looked like right after thaw and then right after they prepared them. Its quite something to see !! I think they do it so it seems REAL for you.

Hope they show you !

Coco

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM

I'm so excited for all of you in the 2WW!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:19 PM

Smartycat, was that your swimteam??? So cool!
Oh, to be back in my old lab!!!

The geekness abounds here, and I love it!:

Coco, that's reassuring, I hope it's the same for us in...THREE WEEKS!I'm excited).
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 PM

Oh god...look at my chart. It's always a bit screwy 'cos of my thyroid but LOOK! DP is on her way to get the swimmers for round 2 but if my chart is right, then we've totally missed the boat. I did just get a + OPK but it means nothing to me in this panic state.

I was feeling so positive about this month. Whaddya think?
FF wrong? Or we totally fucked it up this month?

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
FF is a tool. You haven't O'd, IMO.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM

News from here: Our midwife has the audacity to be taking a weekend away when I'm going to ovulate. The NERVE! :

I think we're going to do two insems on our own, just like old times. Here's hoping we get knocked up, NOT just like old times!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I love you frog. honestly. thank you.

off to get myself *ahem* ready...

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Looks like those cross-hairs will adjust when you get a temp rise. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just relax...and see how it goes!

Frog...good old fashioned DIY this month, huh? Fun! We're doing our first DIY IUI this month...so maybe we'll both get lucky switching things around a bit? Hey...you never know!

Oh!!! Swim team is set to arrive tomorrow morning!!! Can't wait to see the numbers for this new donor!

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
Old 01-30-2008, 08:02 PM

MMM, you have sooooo not O'ed. I can't believe FF is saying you have. Relax and know that your body and you are smarter than FF. Good luck!

-Rachel

Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 PM

Looking at the swimmers sounds SO cool!! I wish we had thought of that!

We can be moved to "waiting to know." I had my first IUI today and the second one will be tomorrow at 11:30. We had been doing the DIY at home, so this was our first with some help. I hope it worked!

We are thinking of everyone in the 2WW with us!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I was feeling so positive about this month. Whaddya think?
FF can be wack -- I think that it really heavily weighs the results of the previous month, much more so than the previous months. You have ovulated later than this before, no?

The continuing +opks are a good sign and I'm not seeing something I would call a post-o temp rise.

go sperm go!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 PM

wow what fun to be out and about all day and come home to all these posts!
even tho i had a jan BFP, it feels a little funny to be listed there -- can you move me to "waiting to be ready," that feels right....

by the way... i am pretty sure that i did NOT orgasm when we did the inseminations that got me pregnant -- we did 3 insems with fresh stuff so i think it may have happened once, but i'm rather sure it didn't the other times. i'm not all that orgasmic of a person as it is, and it just got on my nerves to have to try...

i feel at peace today. i've had a few mood swings... but not nearly as many as when i was pregnant and so hormonally raging! sure i am disappointed but i am so happy i was able to conceive at all!

i am only bleeding a little bit after the d&c yesterday and am so glad i did it. all along this process, i've been so lucky to have such great care. my midwife is part of a larger practice with 5 other midwives and a bunch of ob/gyns and all have been wonderful. the ob came to a hospital to do my procedure yesterday and he was funny, sensitive, and had a big hat full of dreadlocks and a bunch of earrings to boot... since i bled a bunch on sat/sun, i was concerned that i was doing this procedure unnecessarily but he said they did remove tissue during it so there had been more to come...

today i went to the acupuncturist and the chiropractor and the therapist so i'm all kinds of self-cared out.

i feel so close to my partner right now. i never dreamed i could have such a supportive partner. we are so different in our reactions to crisis, but i can really count on her.

we are going to go ahead and get a home study and start looking into foster-adoption, even as we continue to try to conceive. this is a big exciting move for me.

also, i just moved to this new city a little over 2 years ago, and spent much of the first year and a half traveling and it has been so fantastic to have my new friends be so loving and supportive and just plain sweet in the past weeks. i really feel "at home."

i also decided in the wake of this (shhh it's a secret for now) that i need to leave my job. i can not get into the details but i have a hugely responsible position in a national organization and it is just too much right now. i have waited 40 years (and maybe will some more) to parent, and it is going to be my core and my focus, and i can no longer have a position outside of that that requires so much of my heart and soul.

ok that's my update, and i'm so happy for all of us who are moving ahead and swapping stories and sharing strategies...

lv JD
Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Thanks so much you wonderful folks. I suspect I'll O at some point today. I'm crampy and twingy and expecting to feel my egg pop any minute now.

Second insem went well. Having to jump up and run to work was a bit disappointing though. We've always managed to insem in the evening or on a day off before...

: for all of us!

Snoopy - I'm so pleased to hear that you're taking really good care of yourself. Just keep doing it. It's so important.

I was giggling at myself before as I thought about my next 24 hours in which I have a hair appointment, an acupuncture appointment and an osteopath appointment. Self care is something I am VERY good at!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much you wonderful folks. I suspect I'll O at some point today.
now i'm giggling, because we've been talking about O and also talking about... having Os!

O my!

JD
Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy13 View Post
now i'm giggling, because we've been talking about O and also talking about... having Os!

O my!

JD
Well I tried to O earlier but didn't have much luck on that front...

Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM

gives a whole new meaning to "waiting to O," now doesn't it...

JD
Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 PM

Today we got our cheapie internet pregnancy tests in the mail! Woot! We are thinking about testing starting 10dpo. I got 5 tests plus a cheapie dollar store test a friend gave us for x-mas. So I figure one test each day 10-14 and one extra for good measure. I know we are probably being completely insane with that. I'm looking at it as a fact finding mission, not really a OMG, OMG I can't wait to test scenario.

Snoopy, I'm glad to see you were able to take care of yourself and look forward to your future. And that is awesome you have such a wonderful partner.

MMM, Good luck! I suck at pin pointing ovulation, so I have no advice on your chart, but I would believe anything Stacia has to say.

How is you ladies are always so SURE you know when you ovulated? It seemed so inexact to me this one piddly month we have been charting.

mahrens77 Welcome to the TWW. We are offically in the 2nd week now and testing is right around the corner! I'm still hanging in there but I'm sure I'll be totall crazy in the next few days.

JennM1021, Yeah! Swimmers! Hopefully your tank won't have the ticking red clock of sperm tank doom on it like ours did : Good luck with the insems! IUI at home... you go girl! I was going to be brave and try that but events led us down the ICI path right now. I might be coming to you for advice in the next few months.

wannabemoms, yes that was our swim team. Aren't they cute?? :

And if I missed anyone, I'm sorry. I am so excited and hopeful for all of us! :

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
SmartyCat I can't believe you filmed it! That's great, I'm glad I'm not the only one so interested in this.

MMM definitely haven't O'ed. I think everything's looking good!

Swim team survival update. . . 14 hrs past thaw and swimmers haven't seemed to slow down. 22 hrs past thaw, I didn't see anything, but by then, the drop of liquid was almost non-existent. Next time (if there is one) I'll save out a little more and try again.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I totally agree. I think you'll see a nice temp jump tomorrow, and that inseming today will be perfect along with the previous time. Bad bad FF to freak you out.

Good luck!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 AM

forgot to update in the earlier post.

Katie finally got her period today after a for-no-reason-at-all 59 day cycle. Killer.

Because of the timing, KD can't come when she'll O. So, I think we're going to try BioTranz this time around.

We'll do one insem at home and then take the goods to the OB for an IUI for the second round. Hopefully we'll pair this with ultrasound monitoring and a nice strong trigger shot. All the help we can get, right?

Can someone link me again to the source for the at-home sperm count tests? We just want to see if it's worth it doing this shipping of fresh sperm, so I'd love to test.

Thanks and be well all,
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:17 AM

wow. you've all been busy the last couple of days.

it's really cold here. really friggin' cold.

I had a dream last night that Diane Keaton complimented me on my shoes, then put her hands on my shoulders, looked me in the eye, and said, "You're pregnant."

here's hoping she's right!

on the TMI front: DP and I tried for an orgasm at the clinic after round 1 this cycle, but I was too giggly to get much to happen....

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl View Post

Because of the timing, KD can't come when she'll O. So, I think we're going
to try BioTranz this time around.

We'll do one insem at home and then take the goods to the OB for an IUI for the second round. Hopefully we'll pair this with ultrasound monitoring and a nice strong trigger shot. All the help we can get, right?
I'm not familiar with the BioTranz method, but I've used the shipping system called "overnight male" which is made by the University of Illinois at Chicago -- I have to centrifuge it before it can be used. With that one you can't just inseminate with the sperm+buffer -- the buffer has to be removed. (I did buy my centrifuge for $60 off of ebay, though, so if you want to get really "build a bomb in your basement" I can help you figure out how to get the tools that you need)

Also, in my state, a licensed health care professional can't do an insemination legally with fresh sperm, only frozen. I hope that the laws are different in your state.
(just didn't want you to run into problems after paying for all that shipping -- you've probably worked all of this stuff out and I'm just being provincial and dense)

One of my clients who has been shipping in fresh sperm every month said that she had read that there was a law change somewhere (in California, federally?) which meant that sperm didn't need to be quarantined for 6 months anymore. She was thinking about switching to having her kd deposit at a local clinic and then having it frozen and shipped.

Good luck!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megincl View Post
Can someone link me again to the source for the at-home sperm count tests? We just want to see if it's worth it doing this shipping of fresh sperm, so I'd love to test.
The at-home test I know about is called Fertell, though I'm not sure it gives you any quantitative data- just an "okay" or "not."

Good luck! I hope this is it for you guys!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 AM

Iccckkkk, my turn to have a rant at fertility friend !!!

Just for fun yesturday I entered my temos from this cycle. I hadnt done it because since we were being monitored almost daily at the clinic through ultrasound. I went to the clinic last time before IUI at day 9 and my biggest follicle was 18 mm. She gave me the trigger shot for that night and we insem'ed 36 hours later on day 11. When left to my own hormones, I usually ovulate on day 13, never have before day 12...

Now FF tells me I ovulated on day 9, which would make the IUI we had yesturday pointless...

I know FF is probably wrong... especially since I missed two temps this month because I was on a buisness trip...

But I cant help being scared we totally missed our shot.....

Coco

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 AM

Is Fertility Friend especially wacky this month?
To my calculations, I am 4DPO, but FF has not entered the crosshairs yet. I am trying not to let it bother me, but I felt like our timing was so good this month.
We have to remember to trust our own feelings and instincts, right?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
wow. you've all been busy the last couple of days.

it's really cold here. really friggin' cold.

I had a dream last night that Diane Keaton complimented me on my shoes, then put her hands on my shoulders, looked me in the eye, and said, "You're pregnant."

here's hoping she's right!

on the TMI front: DP and I tried for an orgasm at the clinic after round 1 this cycle, but I was too giggly to get much to happen....

What a great dream! I love Diane Keaton! Laura and I tried to have some hanky panky in the clinic a few times... I could never quite pull it off - I could hear the nurses chatting outside (and there's just something distinctly un-sexy about those paper gowns!!!)

We go on to inseminate today at noon! I can't get a sitter, so Oliver is coming too! Should be interesting.... Guess I'm officially in the 2WW again!

Hope everyone else is having a great day!

Tash

User Tag List