Queer TTC January 2008! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
Hooray for positive thought all around! You guys are the best. It's really, really nice to have some other moms to talk to while going through this crazy, queer babymaking process.
Isn't it?

After I regained some semblance of composure last evening, I was able to tell turtle to go and google "vagal response" because I realized that might be what was going on--I'd never heard of it until Burt's Girl talked about it a few months ago on one of these threads. She was very reassured by what she read, telling me that I had managed every symptom but passing out, and I was simply not allowed to pass out. And I didn't.

I'm so, so grateful for all of you. I can't even articulate how much.
#182 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Sorry your response was so strong! But good to hear that you didn't pass out at least. For turtle's sake.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#183 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:28 AM

frog, sorry for the vagal response, yuck! but at least you knew what it was and I'm glad you didn't pass out.

tigger I am very impressed that you made it to 13 dpo without even BUYING a pregnancy test! : for you.

happy Friday! Hoping we can find some friends to play with around here... how else can I get laundry done and entertain my 3-year-old (for the 2nd day in a row)?!

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#184 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Tigerkong...I started off using the free trial on FF...but I went ahead and signed up for the paid subscription. I wanna say it was like $17 for 90 days maybe? Not to bad to get the additional features. I guess it really gives me peace of mind to chart as many signs as I can. At least I know that I've done absolutely everything in my power to know my cycle...and time things the best I can. There are never any guarantees of course...but at least I've done what I can...and can feel confident in my timing.

So...Frog...if you don't mind...what exactly is this "vagal response". Never heard of it...should I be scared?

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#185 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennM1021 View Post
So...Frog...if you don't mind...what exactly is this "vagal response". Never heard of it...should I be scared?
It's not pleasant, but it doesn't happen to every woman, and it doesn't even happen consistently to women who experience it. I had two IUIs with no trouble at all.

I have a complex PTSD diagnosis due to childhood abuse which probably contributed to this reaction. I'm totally fine today (and was later last evening, too).
#186 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM

OH MY!!! No...that doesn't sound pleasant at all! Well...glad you are ok and feeling better today. You're a trooper.

#187 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 AM

Just took the test, negative. Oh well, now I can go about my day.

Frog, it's nice you can be at home for the IUI with a response like that. Glad you didn't pass out and are feeling better now.
#188 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM

In reviewing the symptom list on that link, I didn't have ALL of them. I was very pale, probably had low BP, was very cold, had tremors, had stomach pain/serious cramping, had diarrhea, vomited, and had visual disturbance.
#189 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerkong22 View Post
Just took the test, negative. Oh well, now I can go about my day.
#190 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Awww, thanks.
#191 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Hang in there tigerkong!!!

#192 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 PM

With my yammering on about the vagal response, I forgot to say that the midwife was VERY pleased with the way everything looked. She said that it appears that my fertility-enhancing practices (vitex and red raspberry leaf tea every day) seem to be making a difference. My fluid was clear (was cloudy before) and plentiful (it's been plentiful in the past, too) and my cervix looked happy. This slays me--what, was it grinning at her?
#193 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Where can you get Vitex, at a health food store?

Always good to have a happy cervix!
#194 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM

You can buy it online...or your local vitamin shop should have it. Mine does...but I haven't tried it yet. Waiting to see how this cycle turns out before I start...but I've heard such good things about it here that I think I'll give it a try. Why not, right??

#195 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 12:43 PM

Kepping my fingers crossed and senging some : for you Frog!!

Tigger sorry about the bfn.
#196 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So sorry Tigger

Frog - Hooray for perfect timing and a grinning cervix

11DPO here and my temp went up again this morning!! I hope I'm not getting duped by my temps, but my chart just looks like a pregnant chart. AF should be here today, tomorrow, or Sunday. I will test tomorrow morning if no AF today. Please! Please! Please! let this be the month. We're flat broke and out on another break if it didn't work this time. I need a part-time job to fund this operation.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#197 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerkong22 View Post
Where can you get Vitex, at a health food store?
The co-ops have it, as does Whole Foods. I ordered my first tincture online and picked up my second at WF.
#198 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 01:06 PM

That's looking VERY good, pranava! I've got everything crossed for you!
#199 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Pranava...that chart looks great! You can definitely see a difference on the overlay. Hopefully this is the lucky month for you. Good luck!! :

#200 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Frog, congrats on the happy cervix! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Tigger, sorry about the BFN :

Pranava, : for your BFP. I'm not good at reading charts yet but I'll agree with everyone else anyways.

We ordered our swimmers online yesterday!! How surreal was that?! Ordering sperm in a chat window!

Well, off to work... thinking positive thoughts for everyone...

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#201 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 02:20 PM

vitex is also known (and the HerbPharm bottle is labeled) as Chaste Tree or Chaste Tree Berry...

tiggerkong sorry

#202 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
In reviewing the symptom list on that link, I didn't have ALL of them. I was very pale, probably had low BP, was very cold, had tremors, had stomach pain/serious cramping, had diarrhea, vomited, and had visual disturbance.
As a paramedic we go to a lot of calls where the person has had a vasovagal response (most common cause for syncope, or fainting). The best treatment in my experience? Unless there's a pre-existing cardiac condition?

Good ol' fashioned breathing into a paper bag ...

It replaces the carbon dioxide that you've lost by over-breathing (either from panic, or straining to vomit or have a bm, or from hyperventilation or shallow breathing) and you will start to feel more normal after a few steadying breaths.

Hope it doesn't happen to you again, Frog ... but have a paper bag handy, and don't get up quickly. And if you feel like you're at the low BP part (usually the end phase of the reaction), raise your legs with a couple pillows and that will help direct your weakened blood flow to where you need it the most.

And may the sticky force be with you, hon!!!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#203 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 03:00 PM

An interesting article with possible repercussions for babies conceived via donor.

The odds are long, for sure, but it does give one pause. Well, it gave this one pause, anyway (points to self).

starling, thanks for the tips!
#204 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
An interesting article with possible repercussions for babies conceived via donor.

The odds are long, for sure, but it does give one pause. Well, it gave this one pause, anyway (points to self).
Really interesting article, Frog. And made more interesting by the fact that our son's birth certificate has both of our names on it. His two moms. Now, we did use a KD so we know who his biodad is, but still. Of course, we're the only ones he's ever donated for, so that helps.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#205 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM

I just read the same article and it, too, gave me pause, but mostly I feel really sorry for the couple. I mean, how upsetting must that be to be so attracted to someone, and love them, only to find out it's your sister/brother? And have slept with them? (Which since they were married, I'm assuming they did.) I'm trying to imagine how that must feel but I'm having a hard time getting my brain around it.

Just thinking out loud here - I'm guessing there is less of a chance of such a thing happening to our kids. It would seem to me that same-sex couples (or single lesbians too or at least any family unit without a known sperm-donating male in it) who have bio-children inevitably have to be more open with their children and where they "came from" since, at some point, the kids are going to know the facts of life and say "um, mama, mommy, you two couldn't make me, so how did I come to be?".

I know that some straight couples conceive their kids via donor sperm because papa's weren't viable, and that some take that fact to their graves because they're so embarrassed and their children never find out, or they find out really late in life. I'm not debating the wisdom or lack thereof of that, but it just seems to me that it simply wouldn't be possible for us to do such a thing with our kids...?

I know the issue here is more with adoption, but the article ended on a "donor children have rights too" point of view. With which I agree, although it seemed like a pretty substantial transmutation from the original subject of the article.

note: I tried really hard (I think?) to include all possible people who might be in such a situation so as not to exclude anyone or offend anyone but I always seem to make someone mad because I've neglected their point of view... please, I promise, I'm not trying to tick anyone off. I swear.

#206 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 PM

Please move me to waiting to O, just got AF.
Figures, I gave in to take the test only a couple hours before.
#207 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM

#208 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Went to the ER last night. I have a kidney infection. I am thankful that this wasn't "the month" because my fever was pretty high and I was freaking thinking of what could have happened if I was pregnant.

Everything happens for a reason I guess.

Question:
I haven't been temping (can't find my thermometer and because I have had such a high fever... Is this month a bust or will FF just let me put in something about being sick?
#209 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about AF tiggerkong!

#210 of 598 Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 PM

LaH holy cow, glad you're ok!

Isn't it interesting how things work out, though...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page