I miss being (actively) queer... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess this is more of a vent than anything...Mods, I was unsure whether to put this here or in Personal Growth, but I thought I might get more support here. Hope that's OK but feel free to move it.

A little background: I'm a 37-yo woman involved in a het relationship with a great guy. We have two kids, and we're engaged. He is the first serious het relationship I've had since high school. In between, I have identified as bi, but mostly as lesbian -- it was only in 2000 or so that I started accepting my bisexuality, in part b/c I met and fell in love with DP.

When we got pregnant and I moved into his house, I found myself -- all of a sudden, or so it seemed -- turned into the very picture of typical housewifedom/motherhood. I a SAHM and I have all the outward trappings -- OK, we don't have a minivan , but I have just turned into a schlumpy mom with the sneakers and sweats, with the harried, hurried frustration and the granola bars in my bag and the toys littering the backseat of the car, yk? In other words, I have totally lost myself and my identity -- not necessarily b/c of the sexuality issue, but just in general. I never, ever thought I'd be a parent, not even back in the day, before I came out. It just wasn't in my future...or so I thought. But I find I adore being a mom, and of course I love my kids, and I'm good at it. But there's still something nagging...a grief, perhaps, for the life I've left behind.

Until recently, I've been happy, or at least content, with DP and with our life together. I've been struggling with finding myself again, or rediscovering myself in this new environment, but on the whole I've been distracted with the day-to-day of raising the kids. But lately...I don't know, it's as though something has changed within me. I've been having dreams about all my ex-GFs. I've been thinking more than usual about who I used to be and how I've changed. I'm a member of the board of my son's preschool, and we've been having board meetings at a local LGBT coffeeshop, and it's bumming me out -- not that we're there, but that I'm me. That I no longer belong there, even though I feel like I do. Or I should. I wish I had some way to announce myself -- "Hey, even though I'm a parent, and I'm with these other parents, and I live with a guy...I'm still one of you! Honest!" But am I? I guess that's the crux of the matter. In addition to the lesbian relationships I had, it also meant so much to me to belong to this subculture, this community, and I no longer do. And that's hard. It's like I've bought into the heteropatriarchy that I rebelled against for so long. How could I have done this?

I've talked to DP about this, and about the fact that although we're engaged, it's hard for me to commit to him, knowing that that means committing to heterosexuality (at least in practice) -- unless we radically rethink our definitions of marriage and commitment, which I don't think either of us is prepared to do right now. He is a very cool guy, and understanding about all my ambivalence -- I couldn't be with him if I had to hide who I was and how I felt, yk?

I have a friend who is in a similar boat -- married w/kids, but still identifies as queer, and I love that I can be open with her, and talk about our past GFs and so on, but we are not that close and don't get together that often. Next time we do, I want to address this w/her and see what she says, but... Anyway, she recently introduced me to yet another bi/queer mama friend of hers, and I find myself fantasizing about this woman -- not sexually, per se, but just...about being with her. About somehow her husband and my partner being magically out of the picture and the two of us being a couple, a family with our kids. I'm not even particularly attracted to her. I just think she's really cool, and -- I dunno, maybe it's my only channel of fantasy/escapism? Maybe she just gives a face to my (hitherto unacknowledged) dreams of being able to be actively queer again?

I don't even know what I want. I can't leave DP -- financially I am not in a position to do that, and I love him, besides. He's a great dad, and I have no complaints (other than the usual complaints, you know? but no serious ones). I feel really stuck and confused. I am a million miles from who I used to be, and while on the one hand that's great -- I've grown and changed for the better, a LOT -- on the other hand, I miss me. I feel like I've erased myself for the sake of my partnership and my kids. Which -- you know, there's worse things in the world than sacrificing things for the love of others. I know this. But I am still plagued by this feeling of sadness and grief and loss and longing.

Anyhoo. If you've read this far, thank you. I think writing this post has helped me take the first step towards working through my grief, and identifying my dissatisfaction. But if you have any words of advice or wisdom, I'd love to hear 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. 73 people have read this, or at least skimmed it, and not one hug or response whatsoever?

Now I feel like an ass...Guess I'll go back to Nutrition and Good Eats, where at least I get responses once in a while.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:08 AM

I don't have any words of wisdom, but I will give you a big

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Old 04-06-2008, 01:22 AM

I know how you feel writing something that puts your self out there and no responses. I wondered a few things as I read. Firstly that you strongly identified as queer and miss the support. I think there is a strong influence in our culture that tells people that they have to be one or the other. There is open talk about it now where there didn't used to be and colleges have supportive teaching groups. It is attractive to belong to a group and identify as such. I believe that many woman have strong feelings for other woman and for me those feelings did not stop just because I was married with children. I felt that it was a decision but I also know that a woman can only comfort me in that special way when I need comfort. Anyway, you speak of wondering who you are, that you are lost. You are not your sexuality. You are you. Whoever that is, you are not the gender of who you are intimate with. It seems to me at least that there is a lure to being woman identified. I believe that you can love woman and be woman identified without sleeping with another woman. It is confusing stuff and I perhaps have age to give me more perspective. I miss woman but to be honest not in a sexual way, but in a hold me and lets be intimate but not sexual. Only with a few very dear friends. There is such a power in that love. It is in fact the same power with which we love our kids.

I grew of age when woman were just starting to verbalize this love for eachother and felt that it had to be sexual. For me it did not but it may be different for you. You are a person who needs to know who you are inside that isn't about who you are mated to. What do you like? It is important to use your creative self whenever you can. It is also fine to listen to "queer" music if it resonates with you. I hope that you can find what you are longing for. Caution, I feel we throw relatioships away over nothing in our culture and especially with children it is even more importnat to figure this stuff out in a way that doesn't hurt the children. I hope some of this makes sense.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:22 AM

I'm not queer, but I clicked on this from new posts so I hope you don't mind me posting.

I can relate to how motherhood reduces you/strips you away to, in some ways to, well, a mother. Not to sound silly, but you get so caught up in the day to day aspects of mothering and taking care of a home (if you're a SAHM...I WOH so I don't really take care of the home, it explodes around us regularly!) that it's so easy to lose aspects of what makes you you.

Is there a community that you could reach out to? Go to readings, gatherings, etc that revolve around queer issues? Maybe this is more about just getting re-connected, as a mom, to a new group of friends that happen to be queer. I would think that it's also important for your children to have relationships with others within queer community if that's how you identify yourself.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 AM

well, i would recommend finding a way to do the things you used to enjoy in your "queer" life...

I *am* a lesbian, married to a woman, raising our son, and I still miss the days when I used to do the things I loved to do myself:

sit in the coffeeshop reading the Sunday paper with friends
volunteer at the dog rescue
volunteer at the women's health clinic
play soccer
go to the gym
take the dog running in the park

My life used to be surrounded by lesbians and lesbi-friendly women. Now, I see my co-workers and the parents at my son's daycare.

my best friend wants me to start playing soccer again, but I feel like I barely see my son as it is. I can't give up my Sunday afternoons too.

So, I don't have a ton of advice, but I do understand a little about how you feel. I think you do need to find a way to get some time carved out just for you. And, get a new haircut, and spend some cash on new shoes, or jeans or shirts or whatever was your favorite thing to buy pre-kids and relationship.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone, for responding. You have each given me something to think about, and I appreciate that. I also really appreciate the recognition and response.

Off to bed, now, but I'll be back to reflect and respond. Thank you. :
Old 04-06-2008, 01:43 AM

I couldn't read and not say something, I just don't know what to say.

The invisibility sucks, doesn't it? I feel like I do so little to connect with the queer community these days. The random march/parade here or there (few and far between these days). Letter writing. Rainbow clings on my car. Charitable donations.

And it seems so empty.

Yet, like you, I wouldn't give up my partner for the world. I don't seem to fit into queerspace, but I really feel out of sorts in het-space.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:35 AM

There is a total invisibability that happens from being in an opposite sex partnership that is really frustrating. Frustrating isn't even the right word for it, but I am at a loss to explain. Plus it seems like other people are always wanting to make sure you stay there. What I've noticed is that there is a lot of resentment against bi people, but especially bi people partnered with opposite sex people. You don't count unless your partnered with someone of the same gender. Bi women are assumed to just be wanting to be "cool". A bunch of posers who don't really get it. I've seen more stereotyping about bi's from lesbians than I care to remember.

Being a bi woman with a guy is to be completely isolated and not fit it with gays or straights. They both just want you to disappear and shut up.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 AM

:

I can very much relate to all of this. I mean, I think you hit on stuff that I haven't even realised yet, but it totally applies.

It's an extremely frustrating situation to be in.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 AM

I'm sorry your having a tough time. I can't identify specifically with the sexuality issue but to me it seems like you really miss is the sense of community? Maybe you can create a community around you, or online, of other women who have similar experiences.

I also think that it's really normal for people who have entered any new phase in their life to be very nostalgic about how they used to live. I've been there myself.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 AM

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM

I can relate, too. I used to be such an out and open bi grrl. Now I'm married to a man, and have a little one on the way, so at times I feel like I'm hiding behind het privilege. But I thank Goddess that my man is bi, too, and has radical ideas about gender roles and gender expression. I don't think I could ever be with a "typical" straight guy!

But anyway, what some PP have said about how being yourself is not just about who you want to be with sexually, it's about the whole self, is vitally true. Get out there and find what interests you in general. If you find that dressing like a schlumpy housewife doesn't do it for you, then figure out what you can wear to feel like you again.

Good luck, and You are not alone, sister!

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM

Well I'm going to give the typical excuse that it was late when I read this (it really was) and I needed some time to chew up what you said before I could respond. (I hate to be hasty.) Sorry you felt ignored.

I think I know what your talking about. I identify as a bi female, married in a het relationship. I do not wish to end this relationship and start a new one. I married my husband because he "gets" me. That being said I miss close female companionship deeply. I too find myself lusting after random women, wishing some one would pay me that deep attention and love, that only women seem to have.

Editmom actually just gave a voice to thoughts I have been having for a long time. Perhaps what I crave isn't sexual at all, maybe it's more like intimacy from some one motherly. I'm not sure but I know that for me I have found outlets for sharing that special place with women. During my pregnancy I found myself so completely drawn to midwifery I could hardly catch my breath. When practiced with your heart it's something ancient and pure that our modern day go go go society cannot compete with. Anyways it's my outlet and community for that close female bond. Not at all sexual for me, not saying that this applies to you, but its been a wonderful expression to love women for me. I hope you can identify what it is that will help you to feel whole again as well.

love and peace,

Savannah
Old 04-06-2008, 05:40 PM

I don't really have anything helpful to add, so allow me to provide some hugs!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 PM

Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 PM

I really related to your post. I am struggling with the same issues lately.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 AM

I think I can relate to where your coming from. Sure, I'm a fully fledged card carrying lesbian, but as a first time mom, I'm scared I'm going to loose myself once my kids are born. I'm this wild rocker chick activist, I'm not a soccer mom! I don't even like soccer that much! I've noticed a lot of my preggy straight peers seem to be thrilled about staying home with the baby, and nursing the baby, and changing the poopy diaper, and getting to bond with other mothers doing the same thing. In fact, on another site I'm on, one lady was posting about how she was so thrilled to have friends that just didn't want to talk about the latest movies and reading books. Friends who wanted to disscuss the best educational toys, and what cute little thing the baby did.

I'm sure I'll love my children. And I'm excited to meet them. But I don't want my identity to be totally wrapped up in them. I want to disscuss books and movies, I want to go to rallys and marches, I want to be Roxie...just with two kids. It took me years of thearpy and soul searching to figure out who I am, and now I'm expected to give it all up and be a soccer mom? Screw that. Oh, and mention that I don't really want to stay at home, and that I really love my job, and apparently I'm the worst mother to ever exist! My girl has said she'd enjoy staying home for awhile...and I'd love for her to stay home! She's always wanted to be a SAHM, and why shouldn't she? Just because she's not giving birth dosen't mean she has to be the "man" and the "bread winner". Grrr...

Ok, this went off into a weird rant. Sorry.

I think there is a way to balance who we are, and still be good moms. I haven't figured it out yet (I've got awhile still), but I'm sure it exists! HUGS!
Old 04-07-2008, 04:17 AM

I haven't logged on in awhile, and I happened to click on your thread, and found your thoughts very interesting....

Let's look at both "roles:"
Being a SAHM is completely underappreciated and misunderstood. There is so much skill, patience, intelligence, and passion in the job of mothering, but only the mothers really know that. This can be very frustrating because it is hard work, and takes all different kinds of strength that most people don't even know exist. Mothering is never like what you expected, and could never be explained to a non-mother.
Being a lesbian is also misunderstood, but for different reasons. Lesbians appear "strong" to others, and thrive in their differences. There is pride and "community."
Mothers can find community, but so many mothers are divisive and judgmental it can be hard to find.

If only mothers could band together like lesbians, despite all our differences, because in reality we are all craving the attentive love that we are constantly giving. I miss spending time with female friends... I miss it so much... I feel like I am in high school sometimes, trying to make friends. In reality it is so hard to communicate with other mothers if the kids are around- without being interrupted.

For over 50 years now, girls have been brought up to believe that being a housewife and being a mother is not a job because (usually) it doesn't make money. We need to start changing our attitudes about our work, and teaching young girls that being a mother is one of the most important jobs you will ever have the chance to do. I think the new feminist movement will be women realizing that being a woman is pretty damn important.

On another note, I miss alot of what I used to do, and a community I used to live in. I miss being more active, reading all the time, and being spontaneous.
I think what you are feeling is completely normal for a mom in your situation, it just seems different because being a lesbian was "different."
I definitely crave female energy, I crave talking to women and laughing with them. It is sexual only in that being a mom is sexual- in the sense that we reconnect with our female energy as a mom and want to revel in it with others. Maybe for you, you remember the sexual part and need to find a new way to express that energy...

As Ani said- "Women should be allies not competitors."
Ani is a new mom, I wonder how she is doing...

This was a late entry, my first in awhile- and since I am a mom()
I don't write as much anymore! Hopefully this all made sense.

Good luck
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
I really related to your post. I am struggling with the same issues lately.
I was just about to say the same thing. I've been dealing with it for awhile. I'm married to a man, but honestly, I'm not happy. I was so much happier with women. We are (not actively) poly, but it is so hard to find a woman than is willing to have a relationship with a married woman, let alone one with 3 kids.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wanted to give a and also recommend a book. This book really won't solve any problems, but it is a voice to the many bisexual people in the world and may help you sort out your own thoughts and feelings. "Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World" by Robyn Ochs (it's on Amazon.com for $13.95). I am reading it right now for one of my women's studies classes and it is basically a collection of stories from bisexual people who share many of the same feelings that you expressed in your post. There is also a list of resources and online venues in the back.

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
Old 04-08-2008, 11:32 AM

As another bisexual woman married to a man I can tell you that I too feel this invisibility. I hate the assumed sexuality part.

I had my sister almost yell at me in exasperation why I still said I was bisexual since I was married and hadn't been with any women in over 10 years.

I asked her if she was still straight even though she hadn't had sex in a couple of years. She said OF COURSE!

I said exactly, and so am I.

I think part of it is that bisexuals just don't "fit" into the black and white categories of the world.

If we're with a woman we're assumed gay. If we're with a man we're assumed straight.

I think part of what you are struggling with though is just a loss of who you were that just comes with motherhood. We aren't who we were before children. We do change. Now we are who we are AND we are someone's mother. And motherhood carries responsibilities that we didn't have before.

I could go out and go dancing until 3 am 3 nights a week before I had the kids. Now, I'd like to go dancing more, but definately not 3 nights a week. I'd like to hang out with bagels and a cuppa on sunday midmorning, but by midmorning sunday now I've been up at least 2 hours and I've fed and watered everyone in the house. And I don't want to bring 3 kids with me to the coffee house. KWIM?

Is it the loss of who you where that you miss? Or the uncomfortableness with you you are now? Or an uncomfortableness with who you are percieved to be?

I know for me it's who I am percieved to me that makes me uncomfortable. I want to jump up and down and say I'M NOT STRAIGHT!

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:40 PM

I'm glad you've gotten some good responses. Just wanted to offer some sympathy and a hug!

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM

You are not alone. I'm married to a man and that has really kept me from exploring that very present, very large part of myself that wants a loving, intimate, passionate, and commited with another woman. I never had the chance to explore that prior to marriage, and I wonder if I made the wrong choice and should just be with a woman. I had a girlfriend but she is now just a kind of distant friend. If I were single and free, I could have given her the sort of relationship she wants and deserves. From the start, she didn't seem to believe our relationship could last forever. I thought I could prove her wrong by showing her all the love I could, but she proved herself right.

All I can say is that I wish all of us lonely mamas could get together. I had a nurse flirt with me the other day and that made me feel better about my ability to still be attractive to other women, but it's so hard to find a woman willing to share love with a married woman and be committed. I'm trying to be open, knowing that if it's meant to be it will happen, but living "the straight life" feels like a life of self denial. At this point, I would settle for an online relationship if anybody is interested.

Kat
Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki View Post
As another bisexual woman married to a man I can tell you that I too feel this invisibility. I hate the assumed sexuality part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki View Post
I know for me it's who I am perceived to be that makes me uncomfortable. I want to jump up and down and say I'M NOT STRAIGHT!
:

That drives me bonkers, too. Assumptions are not my friends.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 PM

just wanted to send a hug.
I just saw this post, and identify in so many ways.
I came out as queer at 13 and then had my first relationship with a man at 19. I was married for a while, and am now in another relationship with a man. I hate feeling like the stereotype for a teenage "exploration" phase.
I am still queer, and feel like I am somehow hiding that when I don't actively talk about it.
aaahhh

sorry to make this about me.
It was just to say, I appreciate you articulating this.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:47 AM

Hugs and support to you! I can completely relate to your situation. If you ever need to talk, pm me anytime.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am straight and found this through new posts.

But I could still relate to much of what you said, even though I obviously cannot really understand on an experiential level.

I think that being a SAHM really changes our identity for a few years in a dramatic way, and that's for heterosexual women. I cannot imagine how intense it would be for a woman who was a part of the lesbian community -- that sounds like it would be so incredibly hard and isolating.

I just wanted to reach out and offer you my support and cyberhugs.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
I am straight and found this through new posts.

But I could still relate to much of what you said, even though I obviously cannot really understand on an experiential level.

I think that being a SAHM really changes our identity for a few years in a dramatic way, and that's for heterosexual women. I cannot imagine how intense it would be for a woman who was a part of the lesbian community -- that sounds like it would be so incredibly hard and isolating.

I just wanted to reach out and offer you my support and cyberhugs.
:
I often mourn my old life and fantasize about my ex, I think it is normal. I am glad that you have an understanding DP that allows you the comfort to be so open with him!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 PM

I relate and i mourn at times too. I am glad to see so many responses....

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :

User Tag List