The Queer & Pregnant thread -- June, July, and August - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 468 Old 08-12-2008, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermiep View Post
Jen you have to do it! With financing, that's not that much.
yah 'cept I talked to a knowledgeable neighbor who told me that she knows that tons of buyers are looking into it in order to fix and resell, so it will go for WAY more than $22,9. Feh.

Angela how are name considerations going?

I lay down for an hour nap and I feel rather zombie-like now. Little brother would not let me settle for a while. I sure wish my kid still napped in the afternoon, I would be out cold sleeping along with him.

And I wish that this Bayer blood glucose monitor was not staring at me from the go.ogle ad sidebar because it is reminding me that this Friday at the midwife they will want me to schedule my blood sugar test and I'm going to opt for 5 days of finger pricking instead if they have a monitor I can check out. I just do NOT want to drink the orange concoction. I'm not worried about gestational diabetes... but I am certain that my opinion is not the proof they want with me having a high BMI and trying for VBAC.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#302 of 468 Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
My DW came to bed late and is tossing and turning because we are actually considering putting an offer in on the condemned house behind our property - not for the house's sake but to get the land and raze the house. The house is uninhabitable and is currently being offered at $22,900, the land is valued at $16,800 and she may offer the realtor $18,000 - and her mother has already offered to chip in - as a gift, not a loan - $10K. But we're thinking we're pretty crazy to do this. So she's been tossing and turning and snoring and then our son showed up in bed too and took half of my pillow. I think that he's been carried back into his room since then but the cat and I are here on the couch.

As a banker, I say make an offer! Thats a great deal at a great price $$. It would eventually add so much value to your property.
#303 of 468 Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM

... So I was stalking DDCs and found... 3 babies coming soon!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=934176&page=2

rainbow1284.gifMama to JP (5.5)  weadopted.gif  Gearing up to TTC #2  ~ Blog
#304 of 468 Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh, that's going to be sooo awesome!!! i'm excited for them! they are going to have some funnn times!! i'm sure it will be sooo worth it though.

had a sono today. everything is well. the babe (yes singular, despite my extra high beta numbers) is measuring at 9w5d which is just a bit ahead of schedule. none the less, pepita was in there swimming around and generally having a great time.

it's becoming more and more real!

we are still meeting with the midwife on thursday, but i think i'm leaning more towards either a hospital birth or a birthing center birth, as compared to the home birth that i thought about previously. i know myself, and i just don't think a home birth is going to be the right answer. i'm thinking i can wing the birthing center, despite all the "not so nice" things i have heard about them. i have an appointment there coming up next week.

on friday, we are meeting with the ob at the office i see now. i wanted to get with her and discuss some of the logistical information surrounding birthing in the hospital setting and basically see where her head was at regarding the "after delivery" care.

as of now, homebirth with a midwife is out for me (not so much for the wife, which is why we are still going to meet the midwife). so its either the birthing center or the ob. we found a wonderful doula, so that part is totally handled!

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#305 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 AM

I am no longer queer and pregnant!

The births went smoothly and everyone is doing so well! The babies are all in open cribs (no isolettes/incubators) and breathing on their own. One has a little extra oxygen by nasal canula, but she is fine. They will be in the NICU for a short time but all are fantastically healthy. I just cannot believe they are here and they are mine.

Levi: born 5:28 PM, 4 lb 6 oz, 17.5 inches long
Sage: born 5:29 PM, 4 lb 6 oz, 17 inches long
Jillian: born 5:30 PM, 4 lb 12 oz, 17 inches long

I'm on magnesium sulfate to prevent possible seizures from pre-e and HELLP syndrome, and they won't let me out of bed until I'm off of it tomorrow. However, I feel GREAT - I just want more time with my babies. I am pumping away and ready to try to feed them tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support! I am so exhausted but just filled with so much joy right now! :
#306 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 07:12 AM

::: venustx ::: you're an inspiration!
welcome levi, sage & jillian

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#307 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM

You are INCREDIBLE, and I wish you up and out of that bed with arms full of babies asap!!!

Plus you're going to be be a milk-makin' SUPER-GODDESS.
:::::

#308 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Congratulations Venustx!! I so happy for you, and glad the babies are doing well. :

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#309 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 AM

woo hoo!!!
:::

three little babies! YAY!!!!!

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#310 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM

Aah! My computer died! I've been offline this whole week! So much to catch up on, today.

Congratulations, Angela and Venus! I'm so excited for you both! ::::

Erica, I think if you get a "high risk" reading on the quad screen, there's still less than a 10% chance of having the disease in question. Not worth it, in my opinion, unless you're already high risk. Statistically, if there's a low prevalence of a disease (i.e., it's rare/unlikely), then the chance of having the disease-- given a positive test-- is absurdly low. I could get into the stats, but I'll spare you.

2hm, congrats on the healthy girl! I think the umbilical cord issue is super common, but as you said, it's not my daughter we're talking about. I hope you're able to find some peace with the worry, and that it all turns out to be nothing in the end.

giggleblue, congrats on the heartbeat! The u/s does make it feel more real, doesn't it.

AAM: I'm still struggling with m/s, although it now tends to wax and wane somewhat instead of being just constant. We're interviewing midwives, trying to find a practice we like. And we should be able to hear the baby's heartbeat at our next appt, at the end of this month. I can't wait!

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#311 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Congrats and let the fun begin right!!!! Can't wait to see pics of the sweetie pies!!!!

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#312 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigirl View Post
Erica, I think if you get a "high risk" reading on the quad screen, there's still less than a 10% chance of having the disease in question. Not worth it, in my opinion, unless you're already high risk. Statistically, if there's a low prevalence of a disease (i.e., it's rare/unlikely), then the chance of having the disease-- given a positive test-- is absurdly low. I could get into the stats, but I'll spare you.
What makes one "high risk?" Just curious b/c I've read that downs and similar conditions are not something your baby is more likely to have if it's in your family, etc.

Congrats Venus!!: How wonderful!
#313 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venustx View Post

:
#314 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Your new family portrait, venus...
Three kidlets and a couple of blessed mamas!
Welcome to the world, Jillian, Sage and Levi!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#315 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica12009 View Post
What makes one "high risk?" Just curious b/c I've read that downs and similar conditions are not something your baby is more likely to have if it's in your family, etc.
You know, I'm not sure. Risk goes up with maternal age, but I'm not sure if there's anything else that ups it.

Okay, I just checked the Mayo clinic web site. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dow...N=risk-factors) They say the risk factors are maternal age (although even at 35 it's only 1 in 385, or less than 0.3%), already having had a baby with Downs, and being a genetic carrier "of the genetic translocation for Down syndrome." Granted I have exactly no medical background, but I'd say you're very low risk.

Oh, and heart-n-bones, congratulations! I just realized you're in here! That's so great! :

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#316 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the world, Levi, Sage, and Jillian!

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Venus!!!!

:::

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#317 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 03:55 PM

Congrats Venus!!! :::

And welcome Levi, Sage and Jillian!! Glad you arrived safely!

AAU: I made a post last night but it apparently it got sucked into internet never never land. : We are having our first ultrasound on Friday at exactly 6wks. We too were sent early due to high beta numbers. Giggleblue, what were yours? If you don't mind sharing... I'm kinda beta obsessed right now. I'm a little nervous about the ultrasound as it is early and I don't want to hear "we don't know yet". And its not being done at an OBs office so we won't even get the results right away... we will have to wait for a report from our dr. We are so confused about what to do for OB care. We are not crunchy at all but yet I get irritated easily by doctors... so what are we to do?

We are out at my parent's house in the country in stealth pregnancy mode. : Ugh, I want to tell my parents and have them share in the joy but I am so scared of them having a bad reaction. I keep thinking that my mom will notice that quasar's breasts are bigger and say something... So everytime I look at quasar, her breasts seem enormous to me when in reality they are only slightly bigger. :

We need to make a Queer with Newborns thread for all the new queer mamas. I would hate to lose touch with any of you fine folk. Of course, having newborns, quality internet time may be limited. :nana:

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#318 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM

Yeah Venus!! : : :
Congratulations!!
#319 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I suppose I could clarify that I AM still one of those!

I'm editing pictures now, looking for good ones to post. They have HUGE feet! DP is in the NICU (I'm still on magnesium and can't go yet) taking more pics.

Thanks, everyone, for the congratulations! A very long road led us here and we are two very happy mamas!
#320 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 06:09 PM

smarty...
Our HCG numbers were:
14dpo = 1457
21dop = 22,000
Ours were quite high as well, although no one ever made a big deal about it.
What are the numbers at your house?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#321 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 PM

CHECK IT OUT! Pictures and a name, too!!! Angela's blog!!
:

#322 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
smarty...
Our HCG numbers were:
14dpo = 1457
21dop = 22,000
Ours were quite high as well, although no one ever made a big deal about it.
What are the numbers at your house?
Well, our numbers pale in comparison to that.
18 DPO=1153
20 DPO=2213
The doctor didn't say why... but she then wanted us to schedule the ultrasound after those numbers. They are higher than average which i have seen listed as 400ish for 18 dpo and 800ish for 20 dpo. We were having delusions of twins but you and giggleblue are chipping away at that "fantasy".

#323 of 468 Old 08-13-2008, 09:45 PM

With our numbers, I was SURE we were looking at twins ... especially because we transferred two embies. But apparently the numbers don't have a heck of a lot of to do with it in most cases. Your numbers look great ... doubling nicely. Is this a conservative HCP who's in a flap about the numbers?

#324 of 468 Old 08-14-2008, 01:02 AM

Don't even get me started about our doc who is our family practiotioner. She is OK... nice enough... but she just likes to treat things she doesn't even have a diagnosis for. She gave quasar clomid and progesterone after her one weird cycle the month before. We decided against meds and I'm glad we did or we would really be worried about multiples at this point!!

We don't even know why she ordered the ultrasound. We were just given instructions by the nurse who gave us the beta results to schedule one for this week. So we are just guessing as to her reasoning right now. Could be she just ordered us an early ultrasound and she didn't realize *how* early it was. So that has feuled my obsession at looking at every beta chart on the web and convincing myself it is twins : :nana:

#325 of 468 Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 PM

sorry i'm late -

betas were as follows:

23dpo - 7,832
25dpo - 14,064

as of tuesday, there is one little bean in there. i'm thinking it may be a man child because a lot of individuals with high betas have boys. but then, i could just be reading too much into that, but it would be interesting to know how that corresponds.

and congrats on the triplets venus!!! oh, my goodness!!! i know you must be overcome with joy! i'm so happy that they are all healthy and doing well. great job mommas!

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#326 of 468 Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 PM

i had high beta numbers also and although they didn't come out and say it, our clinic kinda thought i was pregnant with twins. dp was sure it was triplets, lol, i had 4 follicles and 2 iuis with great numbers and motility.

however, it was just one very healthy baby...and a boy, so giggleblue may be onto something!

i meant to reply to this earlier but forgot - we decided against all testing when i was pregnant. our ob-gyn had to keep asking and we kept saying no. i think it had a lot to do with my "advanced maternal age" of 37. we did do the 20 week anatomy scan (although we didn't find out the gender). i'm a worrier and didn't want to have a false positive plus we have a couple of friends who DID have the false positive and ended up with perfectly healthy baby girls. my sister had her screen come back with a higher chance of down's with her current pregnancy and had an amnio which came back as negative for down's. i don't think she realised what the test was all about - she's been pregnant 3 times, all on the first try - and this is her first pregnancy over 35. anyways, we will also not be doing the testing when dp gets pregnant.

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#327 of 468 Old 08-14-2008, 10:54 PM

Thanks to everyone for your insight on the First Trimester testing. It was extremely helpful to me. I went with my gut feeling, my wife's gut feeling, and all of your advice and cancelled my appt. this morning. I feel good about it.
#328 of 468 Old 08-15-2008, 01:43 AM

We heard the heartbeat today ... at our village clinic, with the doppler!
DP recorded it as a video on her cell phone, and we keep watching it over and over. Our little bijou is very busy and active, with a beautiful heartbeat of 156. :

We're getting married tomorrow ... and the JP is going to work our baby into the ceremony, which makes me cry every time I think about it. So it'll be DP and myself and our baby, with the mountain as the backdrop and our dearest friends and family to keep us company as we say our "I do's".
The beautiful thing about Canada is that by getting married now, DP will automatically be the legal parent of our baby at birth, and will even be on the birth certificate as such.

#329 of 468 Old 08-15-2008, 05:15 AM

Can I just say I LOVE 3 AM!! :yawning:

At least I've already had 6 hours of sleep. I fell asleep shortly after 9 because I went and lay down after we put our son to bed... and fell asleep. Wasn't my plan but I guess I needed it. Woke up around 2:45 or so needing to pee and found our son asleep on my DW's feet (I think she thought he was a cat?) and I couldn't fall back to sleep. Good that I came down because I discovered that she hadn't closed the back door before going to bed...

S&D : if you feel a warm green glow coming from an east-southeasterly direction that is me radiating happy envy at you. We are planning on getting married in Windsor the next time we all visit my sister near Detroit, but it isn't the same since it isn't really anything more than symbolic in our state. The number of times we have talked about moving to Canada... I think I will keep my eye on positions I could fill in Canadian Waldorf schools once #2 is old enough for school. My mom will be so disappointed, though. btw there was an article about "your" music festival in Rolling Stone this week!

Anyway, guess I'll try to go back to sleep...

#330 of 468 Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Congrats Starling and Diesel!! : :

Hope you have a wonderful day and what a great gift of your babies heartbeat!!

I'm with you Jen about the marraige thing. We could so easily go to Windsor, but what is the point really when it means nothing here. I would rather do it in CA or MA so in case there is some ruling about other states having to recognize it. But mostly I think we will just live our lives here in Michigan and trust in our relationship. Its scary being the non bio mom and having no rights here. But yet I am not scared because I believe in our relationship. :

AAU: We have our first ultrasound in 2 hours! Hoping all goes well. We may not even find out the results today, so I'm trying to be Zen about it. Yeah right. :nana:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page