Mothering Forum banner

The Queer & Pregnant thread -- June, July, and August

22K views 467 replies 37 participants last post by  indigoscot 
#1 ·
Okay folks, the list is here! If you want to be added, just post in bold with your name and due date.

Queer and Pregnant

May 2008
Thismama, due 5/2008
mamastotwo (Liz & Janet), twins(!) due 5/2008
MsJodi (Jodi, DP Maureen), due 5/2/2008
TheGirls (Angela & Kelly), due 5/8/2008
rightkindofme (Krissy), due 5/25/08

June 2008
kk (DP Annie, Baby Daddy Rob), due 6/23/2008
MollyKenzie (DP Kari), twins(!) due late June

July 2008
Mamimapster, due 7/15/2008

August 2008
Solejean (Peggy, DP Lydia), due 8/1/2008
AngelaM (Angela), due 8/4/2008

September 2008
Scalpel (Jess, DP Darcie), due 9/4/2008
Cookie, due 9/14/2008
Venustx, due 9/23/2008 - oh my god it's triplets!!
Roxie, due 9/27/08
baby_baby_mommy, due 9/29/2008

October 2008
TryingMammas, due 10/2008
Becca, due 10/16/08
HeddyBee, due 10/19/2008

November 2008
Melissa and Susan - due 11/21/08
Cartesia - due 11/27/2008

December 2008
Deah, due 12/4/2008
JenInMpls (DP Jo), due 12/8/2008
MujerMamaMismo, due 12/14/2008
Simcon, due 12/20/2008

January 2009
2happymamas - Jill & Kerri, due 1/3/2009

February 2009
Starling and Diesel, due 2/14/2009

March 2009
Pigirl, due 3/8/2009
Erica12009, due 3/8/2009
Pranava 3/14/2008
Giggleblue 3/14/2009

April 2009
MamaCaveBear

May 2009
Lemurmommies, Due 05/01/2009

Graduates!!! Yeeeahaaa!!
NZmumof2 (Anna, DP Leah), Florence born 1/23/2008
Jentina (Jen & Sarah), Ellis Thomas born 2/20/2008

Recovering from Losses, to Rejoin Us Soon

Jen
travelgirlz
Snoopy13 (JD)

See less See more
#353 ·
i think "trying to get pregnant" is not a reality for most women. a lot of children are accidents or unplanned, and usually those mothers come to terms with being okay with the fact that they are pregnant during the pregnancy, not before.

i think when people ask that, they are thinking from the general view point that children are things that happen to people. regardless, i think it's rude to ask if someone is happy or not that they are pregnant.

what if they aren't happy? how does the conversation progress then??? yeah, that's why i never ask...

#354 ·
Got another BFP with a HPT yesterday, so we went ahead and called in to the midwifery practice that followed us when I was pregnant with E. Here, since midwifery is completely covered by provincial health care, you really have to call early in your pregnancy if you don't want to end up in the no-man's land of a wait list.

I spoke to the receptionist and we're the first call they've had with a projected May due date, so hopefully that's a good sign. Of course, since I'll be attempting a VBAC and having a hosptial birth I also have to fit into their quotas. We should hear back from them next week as so wether we're in or not. Then I likely won't have an appointment until the end of September of beginning of October, universe willing that this babe is sticky.

Other than that not much new here. Feeling way bloated and tired. Fun times.

#356 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartycat View Post
Lemurmommies: Welcome!
: I was so glad to see your HPT was positive again today. You are one fertile Myrtle!

So it seems! Now I just need this baby to stick, stick, stick!

Quote:

Also, I am sad for our friends CoCo and Girlie who won't be joining us this month.

I know. I just saw that on the TTC thread. It sucks.

#359 ·
Oh my! That song does get stuck in your head, doesn't it. Wonder how the ladies at book club this evening will react if they here me singing that one...

My mom called yesterday and wanted to know if I had gotten a BFP yet. I couldn't really flat out lie, so I had to tell her we're pregnant (she and my dad knew that KD was coming to town.) She's really excited and I had to convince her it wasn't appropriate to start telling everyone right away since I'm only 4 weeks pregnant today. I'll let her start the phone tree when we're closer to 8 weeks.

#360 ·
heh, Lemurmommies, my mom told all her friends at the SF convention she went to one weekend, before we were ready to spread the news around.

it's my birthday

#362 ·
What's that you say miep, it's your birthday?

:

I'm gonna call you about possibly bringing you some birthday clothes out of that bag I was scrounging through at my neighbor's.

Yes. That song: definitely catchy. Almost as catchy as Stephen Sondheim for me... but maybe I'm the only person who gets Sondheim stuck in their head for days after listening. Darn 6/8 time. "Pack up the luggage, la, la, la, unpack the luggage, la, la, la..."

#363 ·
Welcome, lemurmommies! Woo hoo!
:

And happy birthday, miep.

Dude-- we had that birth control song on *record* when I was growing up (**** mom and sister); I used to sing it to friends and have NO ONE know what on earth I was talking about. Heh.

Hey, lemurmommies, is there a good lemur story behind your name? I ask because when I was in high school, a girlfriend decided that I should secede from the human race and become an indri indri lemur instead. I've had a fondness for them ever since, and your name always makes me smile.

#365 ·
Quote:

And curses to you Jen!!
I kept waking up in the middle of the night with that song in my head!!
Yeah, well, I feel your pain, SO DO I.

I guess you can just soothe yourself by looking at quasar and smiling at the thought that the love of a strong, hairy man didn't turn your head and instead of spending your last $10 on birth control and beer, you spent it on pickles and ice cream for your preggo wife.

My week-long blood sugar testing experiment is OVER and my chart is on its way to the midwives. I hope it's just the answer they were looking for. Blood sugars in the 90s look fairly appropriate to me.

To get your mind off of Two Nice Girls, may I propose contributing your top picks for a labor/birth soundtrack? Jo's planning on loading up her iPod. My doula and I are going to be rocking out to 80s music in early labor. Jo will be hiding her head under a pillow and moaning during that. (As payback for the 80s music, I know that there will be some "Ultimate Dance Party 1997" showing up in the mix, because she thinks that really bothers me... even though it doesn't. OK, so I wasn't a clubber like she was! I don't hate the music...)

So stop honky-tonking and share some ideas!

#366 ·
i hope i don't offend anyone because i plan on listening to some rap music. i mean, michael phelps listens to lil wayne, and he's won sooo many gold metals. i figure it can help me deliver a baby.

i also plan on watching funny movies like superbad and the like.

#367 ·
Well, I was a rave kid, so as a grown up rave kid I've been aiming the big fuzzy earphones at the baby and playing things like downbeat trance and ambient grooves, like DJ Tiesto's mellower stuff, and Air and Aphex Twin and Juno Reactor and Zero 7. But then I'm balancing out that with good old Chopin and Bach. And then of course there's the phalanx of women singer-songwriters. Can't do without the Indigo Girls, and KD's "Hallelujah" and a couple of Ani tunes, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Lucinda Williams, Ferron, heck, maybe even some Phrank. Anyone remember Phrank?

#368 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pigirl View Post
Hey, lemurmommies, is there a good lemur story behind your name? I ask because when I was in high school, a girlfriend decided that I should secede from the human race and become an indri indri lemur instead. I've had a fondness for them ever since, and your name always makes me smile.
When we first met, we quickly realized that her nickname (Ru) and my nickname (Mel) combined together and written backwards spelled lemur. When we got pregnant with E, we called him "the lemur" for our whole pregnancy, because we didn't want to know what we were having and it was cute and gender neutral. That's how I became lemurmommies everywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
So stop honky-tonking and share some ideas!
I had a birth mix loaded up onto my iPod when I went into the hospital to have E. Sadly things went so poorly that it never got called into action. It had lots of Ani. Angry, early Ani. And some Alanis. And I honestly I don't remember what else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Can't do without the Indigo Girls, and KD's "Hallelujah" and a couple of Ani tunes, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Lucinda Williams, Ferron, heck, maybe even some Phrank. Anyone remember Phrank?
That's my idea of a good mix right there! And of course I remember Phranc. <hums> "I'm calling up my surfer-**** pal..."

#370 ·
So, as most of you know, my dp has been cheating. She is leaving for her new fling. I'm utterly heartbroken and don't even know how to begin grieving this huge loss. She says that she still wants to co-parent our baby. Part of me says - no you don't deserve to have anything to do with the kid. But that seems like a slap in the face to lesbian relationships. If we were straight it would be her biological baby and she would of course be a parent. The other part of me says - damn right you're paying child support and taking the baby every other weekend so I can have some fun times too.

What do I do?

#371 ·
oh my, i'm so sorry she's leaving you!

custody issues - that's tough. one the on hand, you both "conceived" this baby but on the other she cheated on you and is leaving you for the new woman... i don't know what i would do in the same situation. how far are you willing to go with the whole co-parenting thing? second parent adoption? some legal paperwork? payment of child support? none of the above? are you financially ok to raise your baby as a single mother? are you ok with your ex's new love being part of your baby's life? i think those are some important areas to consider.

i wish you the best in deciding what to do though. i can't even imagine!

g

#372 ·
Oh Pranava,
I'm so sorry to hear that your news is not happy.

Has your DP made her feelings on custody/access known? It's a really tough place to be for you - obviously she has no legal recourse if you want to deny her access but by the same token, she has no legal obligation to contribute child support and I can see it all getting very messy if you don't approach it very carefully.

What were your plans for parenting as a couple? Were you both going to continue working outside the home? Was someone planning to SAH? Were you dependent on your partners income?

My suggestion to you for now, is to give it a few weeks or even months, before you think about where you take your parenting relationship. You have a while to go, so honour yourself and your beautiful babe and take some time to find stable ground as an independent, soon-to-be Mama.

Do you have some good support around you? I hope you've got some real life friends/family with strong shoulders. Thinking of you and sending you love Pranava

#373 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Anyone remember Phrank?
Hell yeah! I have this sad feeling that it may have been one of the CD's I recently culled. And now I really need to listen to Bulldagger Swagger!

Quote:

And curses to you Jen!!
I kept waking up in the middle of the night with that song in my head!!
Duly warned...I am not going to watch that video! I've just been on a 2 hour drive and the radio in our car has died - hence, I've already got more than enough silly songs running through my head. Eye of the tiger, anyone?

: miep

#374 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
I've already got more than enough silly songs running through my head. Eye of the tiger, anyone?
I see you the "Eye of the Tiger" and raise you one "Come on Eileen"
:

Oh pranava, I am so heartbroken for you. I don't know what to tell you. I know my initial reaction is heck no! You can't have your cake and eat it too. But I agree with MMM that you should maybe take some time to sit back and think about it. Also, I am trying to remember, but how is it that you are connected to your KD? If it is a friend of your ex-DP, that could get sticky too if they side with her. Bleh, this sucks. I just can't get over how horrible this all is. Please know you have been in my thoughts and I wish I could offer more than just a cyber

#377 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
Duly warned...I am not going to watch that video! I've just been on a 2 hour drive and the radio in our car has died - hence, I've already got more than enough silly songs running through my head. Eye of the tiger, anyone?
I did aerobics to that song in 6th grade. I remember it vividly.

You can watch it tomorrow.

miepie where'd you go eat dinner huh huh??? Sorry I never got to calling you today... was one of those days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.