The Queer & Pregnant thread -- June, July, and August - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 468 Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AAM update: I think my m/s is actually a little better these days. My midwife started me on B6 last Thursday, and I don't feel *good* by any stretch, but I don't feel as pukey, either. I've put back on the weight I lost, and I actually enjoyed myself during whole stretches of yesterday. I have a two-day business trip to Boston this Thu/Friday, and I've been really worried about being able to keep my self together for the duration (fancy dinner, presentations, the works), but maybe there's hope.... In any case, I might tell folks at work that I'm pg before the end of this trimester after all, if our ultrasound next week goes okay. It's just so much energy to hide feeling this lousy, you know? Those of you later in pregnancies, how did you handle telling at work?

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 468 Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi Pi!

I'm still only 10 weeks and a bit, but I thought I'd chime in about telling at work. At my paramedic job, I told my Unit Chief right away, just in case I had to book off on short notice, or if I was suddenly unable to work. I've told my various work partners on a need-to-know basis, like one time when we had to do a three hour lights and sirens drive up and then down a winding mountain pass ... i was in the back for about five minutes before I was going to throw up (it was about 7am, when my m/s was the worst). I made my partner pull over and I told her that I had to drive. I later told her why. I also told a couple partners early on when I wasn't sure if I'd have to pull over the ambulance and puke at the side of the road. All told, I've maybe blabbed to about five of my paramedic colleagues. My DP on the other hand, has told her entire restaurant staff AND anyone else who will listen.

I've also been avoiding very heavy lifts and making patients walk whenever possible, just to be on the safe side. And I told the nurse at the local clinic who was a certified MW in Australia ... our midwife is three hours away, so the one here (she can't practice as a mw, too far from resources) is going to be our unofficial backup.

As for my other job ... I'm a professional writer, and I haven't told a soul. Not a soul. I'm a little worried that it will affect a contract that I'm working on with my publisher. I haven't even told my agent. I was at a writer's festival this weekend, and while I was on stage, I kept thinking that the audience must be sitting there thinking how chunky I've gotten as of late. Ah well.

Trust your instincts, mama pi.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#123 of 468 Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi S&D! Good to hear from you. I'm glad you're doing well. . . Well, except for the morning sickness that is

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#124 of 468 Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Hi Pran! So good to see the mass exodus from the TTC board to here! :

You've chucked your thermometer out, right, hon?

The m/s has pretty much stopped ... which, of course, makes me nervous. But I've still got tonnes of food aversions (I have to flee the house when DP is cooking, and she's a professional chef!) and my pasty chalk-white self is covered in bright blue veins, like I'm being colonized from the inside out, and I pee every two hours at night and my boobs are not my own ... they are some other, more shapely woman's. So I guess I'm still pregnant! No bleeding, no cramping, no pain (other than ligament pain ... ouch) so I suppose all is well.

We traded DP's super butch off-road truck (can't put a car seat in it) for a rather sedate Escape yesterday, so we're thinking positive. Although we're not buying anything major (other than dealing with the vehicle!). Each time we visit the midwife we buy something from the consignment store next door to the midwife clinic. DP is so cute about it, it makes me cry. She bought tiny little socks with grinning whales on them, and showed them to everyone! Awwww ... bestill my hormone-addled heart. I love her. She's so cool.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#125 of 468 Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Each time we visit the midwife we buy something from the consignment store next door to the midwife clinic. DP is so cute about it, it makes me cry. She bought tiny little socks with grinning whales on them, and showed them to everyone! Awwww ... bestill my hormone-addled heart. I love her. She's so cool.
I hear you on the little socks thing. My DP bought little socks that say "I Love Daddy," and has been carrying them with him to work, sleeping with them under the pillow, etc. He even danced them on my stomach during the 10-minute post-IUI wait, the IUI that got us pregnant. It makes me tear up, even thinking about it. Ain't love grand?

#126 of 468 Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Hey all! I just had to share this incredible web site http://www.ehd.org/index.php

There are lots of ultrasound movies of babies at all differnt stages of develpoment. Really cool!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#127 of 468 Old 07-24-2008, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pranava -
That site rocks!!
#128 of 468 Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM

umm...

has anyone been having highly sexual dreams since they have gotten pregnant???

i heard that it was common...

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#129 of 468 Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggleblue View Post
umm...

Yes. In one funny early one, I dreamt that I got it on with my sperm donor. Never mind that I used a bank, and have never actually met or seen the guy.

And, once my morning sickness passed (~11 or 12 weeks), I was, um, friskier than at any previous point in my life.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#130 of 468 Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 PM

Sign me up

Angela and Sammie Due around April 1 (havent gotten an exact due date yet!!)
#131 of 468 Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggleblue View Post
umm...

Yes, at least once a week or so, and some VERY WEIRD ones. Like having sex with an older male coworker (who I'm now throughly embarrassed to see again). Then again, I'm having very weird dreams of all sorts. The other night, I dreamt I made Karl Rove cry by telling him the story of our marriage, and how we would be treated like legal strangers if we left Massachusetts, and all the bad things that could result from that, and that I was 7 weeks pregnant and his anti-gay attitudes were going to HURT OUR BABY. Bizarre.

#132 of 468 Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 PM

OMG I would LOVE to have a dream about making Karl Rove cry!

I am just a bad wife tonight. No, I'm not. I am tired of my DW always being right. About everything, she has to know best. I shouldn't be hanging the laundry indoors, I should either be doing it in the dryer, or hanging it outside, nevermind that the dewpoint all day has been in the upper 60s and nothing would dry outside, because the humidity in the house is making her uncomfortable. Even grocery shopping at the co-op was a fight, she and DS fought the whole time, they are constantly butting heads every waking moment. I couldn't even walk with them. And then on the way home SHE CHANGED THE RADIO STATION WHEN JOHNNY CASH WAS ON. We always have to listen to what she wants. So I am rather short of temper and really wishing I could have a nice Surly Bender (local very dark beer) but I don't have any in my fridge and don't feel like making a beer run for a beer I won't be able to finish (16 oz can) anyway.

But she's making a fire so I am going out with newspaper to try to mellow out. Sigh.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#133 of 468 Old 07-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Sorry for your bad day Jen. I hope a good night's sleep for all will help tomorrow be a better day.

#134 of 468 Old 07-26-2008, 09:21 AM

Does it count as a good night's sleep when you wake up around, oh, 4, to find your kid in your bed (when did that happen?) and your partner snoring (i.e. refusing to take the sleeping child back to his own bed), and then getting up at 7 with the kid?

Normally he sleeps until at least 7:45, and last night he even got to stay up late because we had a nice little fire in our fire bowl.

yawn.

Oh, and of course Mr. In Utero was hiccuping at about 6.

Gosh, I'm going to be a party with sleep deprivation... DW gives people the reason "because we miss getting up 3x a night SO MUCH" as one of our reasons for having another one hopefully at least #2 will sleep through the night before he's two. :

#135 of 468 Old 07-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Aw, Jen ... how about a nap? Send DP and DS out on a field trip so you can hunker down and recuperate.

As for me: 11w1d today! Not really showing, but having a hard time doing up my pants.

We have this ridiculous festival in our town this weekend ... with Coldplay and JayZ and Tom Petty, etc, etc ... so for three days our little hamlet of 2,500 has swollen with obnoxious outsiders amounting to about 50,000. I'm working as a paramedic all weekend, and my fuse is just so short. I'm hoping that's a pregnancy thing? I don't want to this negative or narrow-minded! But I am! I am SO ANNOYED by all these people who've descended on our beautiful town and are chucking their garbage around and getting hammered and doing stupid things like rioting because the festival ran out of beer, while all the while making a knot of our one tired road that goes in and out. End of that rant.

Oh! And then DP did the WORST THING SHE'S EVER DONE TO ME (according to my pregnant brain). She took my library books back before I'd finished them! I have nothing to read! I cried. I honestly cried. She laughed. Which made me cry some more.

End of rants in general. Hope everyone is doing great. Have that nap, Jen! I'm going to try to do the same, although the paramedic station is full of extra paramedics all weekend, and I seem to hate all of them. Will someone bring back the sweet, kind, totally non-judgemental me? I miss her!

#136 of 468 Old 07-26-2008, 11:03 AM

S+D, that sounds really annoying. Ever see the South Park episode where they were having a film festival? The sewer system was being overwhelmed with all the pretentious poo from the Hollywood types and it was killing Mr. Hanky. OK, I'm 12, I know... but that is all I could think of while you were telling that story. :

And I think you have every right to be crabby... that sound awful. You take good care of yourself and your little one and stay away from rioting tourists.
:

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#137 of 468 Old 07-26-2008, 05:19 PM

S&D, she'll come back, just give it, oh, either another half a year, or another 18 years...

And I want to make you a little promise only you have to SWEAR you aren't going to hate me for saying it: when you are no longer pregnant and have fallen into the swing of being a mom and can laugh about your pregnancy, you and DP are going to have the biggest chuckle about 'remember that time when you cried because I took your library books back?'.

A woman whose blog I used to read lives in Crested Butte, CO and feels the same way every year when there is a college spring break festival in CB, except that it's inundated with obnoxious college students who get violent when they can't get their starbucks. Oh, heck, here's the link.

I'm off to get that nap... we have a bday party for one of T's friends this afternoon (just down the street, thankfully), but it's in an hour, of course... kid is sleeping and wife is out of house investigating why the board is off of the front door of the abandoned, condemned house behind us - yeah we don't really live in the ghetto, I swear - so

ps: pigirl: when I was pregnant the first time and still working I told all of my colleagues right away because I had such horrific morning sickness and couldn't hide it. Still, it was a Waldorf school faculty, we were awfully tight. I told the children after I had gotten through my 1st tri by writing a riddle for the 4th and 5th graders, letting them guess, and then letting them tell the rest of the school, the same day I wrote a letter to all of the families and included it in the school newspaper...

probably not the route you're going to take, but that's what I did!

#138 of 468 Old 07-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Had some slight bleeding/spotting the other day and the doctor did an ultrasound and said everthing looked great (saw heartbeat). Couple spots since then. It just makes me nervous.

Can anyone relate? I need to calm myself. Thanks!
#139 of 468 Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM

um... rolled in the hay recently?

DW got a little too carried away once and I spotted for a few days after that. Cervixes are very, very sensitive right now.

#140 of 468 Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
um... rolled in the hay recently?

DW got a little too carried away once and I spotted for a few days after that. Cervixes are very, very sensitive right now.

Nope, no rolls in the hay recently. Thanks, though!
#141 of 468 Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 PM

*poking head in*

hi!

I've been hiding out here in MN. We've been running the AC non-stop, as getting overheated turns me into a sick-feeling, weepy, exhausted mess. I guess it's worth it, but we just got the electric bill today. I went through my closet, and it is now official: none of my pre-preg pants fit at all any more. My mom sweetly took me maternity shopping this weekend, so I'm stocked up for a while. Work clothes will be an issue come October, when it gets too cold to wear linen or light cotton, but hopefully by then I will have saved up enough to get some tights and woolly trousers with stretchy belly panels.

M/s ended early on, leaving only a desire to sleep 9 hours every night, a need to pee way more often than I'd like, and weepy weepy hormones.

U/s on Thursday. We've decided to find out the sex of the baby, caving to curiosity and family pressure. I've been having crazy dreams about making out with teenage boys (I'm a teenager in the dreams, too -- nothing too scary!) and about the baby.

Oh, and I'm hungry. Often.

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#142 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 AM

tigermiep lives! Well, I knew you were alive. Still dreaming of your wife's spontaneous random pilaf she made.

I voted you most interesting array of pets on the 'chit chat and trivia' thread in the Dec DDC. Dunno if you wanna go vouch for that or not.

#143 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to stop in to say hello to everyone. I know I have been missing lately and there's really not any good reason. I have been reading, but not really posting much anywhere...not even in my DDC.

This pregnancy is going pretty well. I can't believe we are coming up on the 18 week mark...it's nuts! I have been working a lot and been pretty stressed there. I leave for an eleven day vacation on Friday and I am so excited. But that means I have 18 hours worth of therapy appointments to get done Mon, Tue, and Wed. I thought I could use Thursday to get them all in, but my supervisors apparently thought I needed to go to an all-day conference on Thursday, thereby really making me work looong days this week. To top in all off, I have to finish and e-mail all all 14 monthly reports to the casemanagers before I leave. Oh, yeah.....and I have to write a court report that sucks. The family I am working with has court while I am gone and the casemanager wants me to make recommendations about the placement of the children....as in should they come home next week or remain in foster care. It's really hard because I like the family, but I do not think I can recommend reunification at this point. In our appointment last week, the family asked what my recommendation would be and I had to be honest. Mom started crying, but she understood my concerns. I just told her that when they came home, I wanted them to be home for good. I was hestitant that if they came home too soon, something may happen and the kids would go through the trauma of being removed again. And there are some issues that need to be resolved before I am comfortable with them coming home. This all happened as I was leaving and I teared up as I got to my car to leave. It sucks and I am so ready for this vacation. It will be my first week off in two full years. I am so ready...some of the families I work with are really starting to irritate me. That's a pretty good sign for me that I need to take some time off of work because I typically really like my families are rarely get annoyed by them.

Speaking of vacations, we are going to Lake Sunapee in NH for a week and then plan to spend one day in P-Town. Any suggestions for one day of great fun in P-Town? We've never been. We get home on the 10th, our 20 week ultrasound is on the 11th, and our three year wedding anniversary is on the 12th! It's going to be an exciting couple weeks around here. We are leaning towards finding out the sex of the baby.....

That's about it for me. In terms of the pregnancy, everything is good. I have been kinda lightheaded and somewhat dizzy the past week or two, but I think that is normal. I am still down 5 pounds from my prepregnancy weight, but I had a bit extra from the get-go.

Everyone else doing well?
#144 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post
Speaking of vacations, we are going to Lake Sunapee in NH for a week and then plan to spend one day in P-Town. Any suggestions for one day of great fun in P-Town? We've never been. We get home on the 10th, our 20 week ultrasound is on the 11th, and our three year wedding anniversary is on the 12th! It's going to be an exciting couple weeks around here. We are leaning towards finding out the sex of the baby.....
My favorite place in P-town is Herring Cove beach. If you go, head to the parking lot on the left, and then park all the way at the left-hand side of the parking lot and walk over the dune there. That's where all the lesbians hang. I find it so amazingly wonderful to be on a beach full of queers and queer families, where for once, we just look "normal." And, the water is great for swimming!

Enjoy!

#145 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 03:56 PM

Me, me, I want to go to the lake too! My 15 month old just saw the ocean on TV, and signed that she wanted to go to the water... Too bad there's no water in NM (by us anyway).

I am doing good today, but all the other days I have had all day morning sickness, as I described to my partner, is like instant onset body flu, aches, headache, nausea, lightheadedness. ick. Today I am feeling fine. Hopefully that isn't a bad sign...now I'm worried....
#146 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Angela, you are so close to holding that baby in your arms!!! Very exciting :

Today is 7 weeks 3 days and I'm feeling great. I occasionally feel tired or emotional, but really I'm feeling pretty normal. I'm still worried, but not quite as bad as before. Our first ultrasound is Thursday morning - 39 hours and counting till I get to see the heartbeat! I think I will be able to put my worry away after that.

#147 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM

Ooh! Ooh! Our ultrasound is Thursday morning, too! Here's some good baby mojo for you: : I don't think I'm going to really exhale until we see the heartbeat, either. (Erica, I don't envy the circumstances of your u/s, but I'm jealous that you've gotten to see a heartbeat already!)

Our one year wedding anniversary was last night, and I felt so impossibly blessed to be celebrating it while pregnant with our first child. We had a quiet night of Scrabble and frozen pizza (and frozen year-old wedding cake!) and it was positively lovely. Thank you, universe, and thank you, Massachusetts.

#148 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigirl View Post
We had a quiet night of Scrabble and frozen pizza (and frozen year-old wedding cake!) and it was positively lovely. Thank you, universe, and thank you, Massachusetts.
*sigh* sounds absolutely lovely. Congrats.

#149 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 PM

our anniversary just passed, and i was scared to eat the year old cake.

things have been a little difficult around here, and i can't help but think it was prehaps because we didn't eat the cake. crazy - i know. it's still in the fridge.

my stomach feels like i've been doing a million sit ups. things are really stretching in there, which is weird to experience.

given the growth stretching combined with the high betas, i really wonder if there is more than one. if there is, i'm okay with that.

funny, if there is, i feel like perhaps we should have been more specific with our prayer for two children. perhaps specifying that we wanted to grow them in two seperate uteri. haha. that would be so damn funny.

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#150 of 468 Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 PM

Ooh, it's so nice to see so many people heading in for ultrasounds, hearing heartbeats, etc. I remember the first time I heard the heartbeat with the doppler, at 9 weeks and 2 days, I just started crying. I hadn't had an ultrasound yet, and I just didn't believe that the whole thing really could have worked. It was so utterly amazing.

PiGirl- Congrats on your anniversary! What a great way to celebrate!

2HappyMamas-Vacation sounds dreamy. Be good to yourselves, and enjoy lots of sun and swimming and fun. I recently spent 10 days in Provincetown, and it was amazing. I'm having a bit of beach withdrawal now.

Pranava- Every time I see that you've posted here, I get excited all over again! I'm so glad we got to be on this thread together, for a little while, at least. And yeah, I can't believe that I'm about to "graduate."

Tigermiep- That's funny, when I was 17 weeks or so my mom came up and took me maternity shopping. I was in that funny place where I didn't look pregnant, but none of my pants fit anymore, so I was wearing the same old pair of fleece sweatpants everywhere. What's great is that the stuff she bought me then, along with a few hand-me-downs from my neighbor, have kept me going throughout the whole pregnancy.

Erica- I'm glad everything looked good on the ultrasound. I had a lot of spotting and cramping early in my pregnancy, and it terrified me, especially because I'd lost the previous one. Once, I blew my nose and had spotting afterwards. Umm, disturbing. For real. Anyway, that piece of TMI is just to assure you that lots of types of spotting can be totally normal.

JenInMpls- Hope you're getting some sleep out there.

As for me, I'm getting grumpier and grumpier the longer I have to wait. I've been convinced forever that I'd have the baby on August 1st (my due date is technically August 4th). Now, as we get closer and closer to the 1st, with no baby, I'm beginning to feel discouraged. My best friend will be here from August 5-7, and I was just sure that I'd have the baby by then. I know that first babies often come late, and all that, but I just had this FEELING about August 1, you know? Now though I'm beginning to doubt everything.

And, after having a relatively easy pregnancy, I'm feeling like total crap in these final weeks. My ribs hurt, my stomach hurts, I can't sleep, I have to pee all the time, I'm out of breath...blah, blah, blah. I have been having some random contractions at night, but they don't seem to be developing into anything more. Obviously I know that the baby will come when it's good and ready, it's just getting harder and harder to feel patient. In addition to being uncomfortable, I just want to meet my kid!

Anyway, hope everyone is feeling good. Stay cool out there!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page