The Queer & Pregnant thread -- June, July, and August - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 468 Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
Erica- I'm glad everything looked good on the ultrasound. I had a lot of spotting and cramping early in my pregnancy, and it terrified me, especially because I'd lost the previous one. Once, I blew my nose and had spotting afterwards. Umm, disturbing. For real. Anyway, that piece of TMI is just to assure you that lots of types of spotting can be totally normal.
Thanks AngelaM! I'm feeling a lot better about all this spotting stuff. Had another ultrasound today and again they see no reason to worry. Baby is growing up to speed and the heartbeat is right on. I am coming across more and more women who spotted during their pregnancies. I think I've actually talked with more women who have spotted then who have not. So, I feel a lot better. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it mucho! Much luck with your upcoming delivery!
#152 of 468 Old 07-30-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
JenInMpls- Hope you're getting some sleep out there.
Well, if you look at the time that I am writing this post, you will see that I have been woken up yet again in the middle of the night, this time by the cat instead of the child. Although I do vaguely remember getting up and bringing the child back to bed earlier in the night, too. Thankfully all he needed was to be tucked back in, afraid he had lost his beloved comforter somehow when really all he had done was kicked it down to the bottom of the bed.

But then, the cat. Who was hungry because her food bowl was empty. So she decided to scratch on the bed frame and meow and pace until I noticed her. And here I am. And since it's 5ish I am guessing that I will not fall back asleep before people start getting up here. Would have liked to have enjoyed my son sleeping in his own bed all night since he hasn't the past two nights.

Angela, I want to wish you all the best as you enter what I think is probably the hardest part of pregnancy... now is the time to eat what you like, watch funny movies (who knows, maybe laughing really hard will make your water break, worked for a friend of mine), have as much sex as you feel like and sleep as much as you possibly can. That sleep thing is important because from here on out, you don't know when you might go into labor and not get to sleep for the next 30 hours or so. Walk, walk walk and then have someone rub your feet. (I had a massage therapist recommend massaging them with ginger. Also drink ginger tea, she said.) Be patient... and look back and see how far you've come.

And random contractions = good!! Before you know it, they'll be unrandom.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#153 of 468 Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 AM

24 hours and 24 minutes until the ultrasound! will it be a boy or a girl? I'm taking bets!!!:

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#154 of 468 Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 AM

I am betting girl even though I know your chances lean toward boy.

#155 of 468 Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm so excited that this thread is so active! I can't wait to hear great news from you, AngelaM--I hope you can feel ok hanging in there for this last little bit!

I've loved reading everyone's updates. re: spotting--count me in as a spotter of sorts too--I spotted a ton with Maddie (healthy pregnancy)--like daily for 3-4 weeks in the first trimester (from, ah, 6-9 or 7-10?). Then I didn't spot at all with pg #2, and m/c'd at 12 weeks (same day I started to bleed). Then this pregnancy, no more spotting either, and I'm 19 weeks and going strong, with a wiggly little... boy!... in there. Not as wiggly as I'd like (I don't think I'd get tired of kicking every 5 minutes or so, day and night--though I might wonder what we had in store for us), but enough movement to keep me reassured for the most part. So in my experience, there's been pretty much no correlation with spotting and health of the pregnancy. Ditto for nausea, fwiw.

Tigermiep--were you writing about maternity clothes, and are you in Minneapolis? In June I was out there, and my sister (who is due at the end of August) had scoped out all the great maternity thrift stores, and took me to 6 in one day. There was a great selection. I really dislike shopping for maternity clothes (and this time, I've got work, conference travel up to 7 mos., conference travel at 3.5 mos., so I'm needing every kind of clothes for every season), but loved those thrift store jaunts because for everything I bought I knew that (1) someone already bought it, so chances were that it wasn't as hideous as some of the things in the mall maternity stores and (2) it had already been through the wash, so it wasn't going to fall apart at the first laundry day. If you want the names of her top picks, I'm glad to find out where they were (I think 2 were Savers, and they had coupons too!)

giggleblue, I've been thinking of you and your dp. I really hope you both find a way to enjoy your pregnancy without it being overshadowed for whatever period you're not living the dream of both of you being pregnant at the same time.

starling&diesel--I'm with you on planet short fuse! I'm sure it's just a pg thing. I am normally pretty even-keeled (sometimes very much so in relation to the people around me), and have to confess to being just completely ridiculously irrational in just about every context at some point in the last couple of weeks. Ugh.

ok, gotta get back to work--I will try to keep up better!
#156 of 468 Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
20 hours and counting till first ultrasound. I woke up this morning with no symptoms, so now I'm so worried I can't think straight. Plus DP's whole family is coming over tonight for a cook out. We're not telling them yet, so I have to act normal!! How on earth am I going to do that!!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#157 of 468 Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 PM

You found maternity clothes at Savers?! I looked and looked! Maybe I was at the wrong Savers (I wasn't at the über-Savers)...

but tigermiep you have to check out nine, which is just south of Diamond Lake Rd on Nicollet, on the west side of the street. Maternity consignment. Some things there make you say "you want HOW MUCH for that?", and some things are affordable. I went there to buy a dress for my friend's dad's memorial service. Paid $20, but I needed it... and at least it was used and easy to find.

Good luck at ultrasounds folks!!

#158 of 468 Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 PM

simcon-- yup, minneapolis here. pass those thrifty ideas along -- I will need work clothes!

jeninmpls -- I stopped by there today. lots of good stuff. pricey, but cheaper than retail...

pranava -- I freaked out when I stopped having morning sickness, but the first u/s at 12 weeks showed a healthy babe, and I'm sure yours will too!

well, the yogurt's in the yogurt maker and the baby's kicking, so it must be time for bed!

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#159 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 AM

pigirl and Pranava, and tigermiep- How exciting about all the ultrasounds tomorrow!!! tiger I'm going to guess 'boy' since there's one vote for girl already.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#160 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 08:32 AM

Quasar- that was an unobtrusive entrance. You deserve some fanfare!

Welcome Quasar and Smartycat to the Queer and Pregnant Thread!!!

: : :

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#161 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar View Post
pigirl and Pranava, and tigermiep- How exciting about all the ultrasounds tomorrow!!! tiger I'm going to guess 'boy' since there's one vote for girl already.
well, that's one for boy and one for girl.

I woke up at 6 and remembered that I had forgotten to bag the peaches we were freezing on MONDAY!!!! oh well. they don't look that dried out...

Welcome, quasar and smartycat!!!! :::

#162 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Welcome welcome welcome quasar and smartycat! Congratulations!

I just got back from our ultrasound, and I am enormously relieved to announce that they said everything looks good. There's just one baby (phew), it had a heart rate of 176, and measured 8w 5d (I'm 8w 4d). My midwife gave me two thumbs up, literally. Woo hoo!

I have to say, even though we saw the heartbeat, and even saw the baby move, it still doesn't quite feel real. I'm probably just still afraid to let myself feel pregnant; having a family has been the most important thing to me since I was a little kid. Maybe some more time, and some more staring at those ultrasound pics....

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#163 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yay and welcome to quasar & smartycat! :

pigirl... I know how you feel. We had an u/s at 7w5d and saw our little bijou flipping around and heard the heartbeat, and still I worry and fret. I don't want to have a bunch of u/s because I don't think that they're particularly safe or necessary, but part of me wishes that I could have one every morning, just to check in with the bijou.
Here we are at almost 12w, and I cannot WAIT until I start to show. It seems like the on again off again nausea isn't enough, nor are the tedious mood swings or the breasts that are so painful I'd like to cut them off with an Xacto knife and be done with them. I think I'll break down in a week or two and ask to borrow the doppler from the local clinic and have a go at hearing the heartbeat again, even if only briefly.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#164 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 PM

welll..... should I tell you???

#165 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM

I wanna know tigermiep!!!!

Thanks for the welcome. I had to take another test this morning just to be sure it was real. It looks a little darker than the one from two days ago, but still not quite as dark as the control. Of course, I also took an internet one too... Faint line on that one, but getting a little more visible. I go in next week for the blood test. smartycat threw out my thermometer, so I guess I can't chart temps anymore.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#166 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermiep View Post
welll..... should I tell you???
Yes! Yes! :

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#167 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM

Yes, tigermiep! I want to know!!

We saw the heartbeat!!!! : I'm so relieved. It measured 7 weeks 3 days. I'm actually 7 weeks 5 days, but I have a retroverted uterus, so that can make the size estimate a little off. Heartbeat of 155. So all looks good

#168 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM

#169 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 PM

::Congratulations on your little boy!!!!

#170 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigirl View Post
Holy crud-- they have the size I need! Thank you! I'm looking for (gasp) 34 DDD. Try finding that in Target. My sister, who's about my size, went up to a G cup when she was nursing. I've never been small-chested, but this is getting ridiculous. Esp. because they're too sore for any real *fun* with them, you know?

I was, for the record, too shy to post this in my DDC.
by the way, pigirl, 34ddd is my usual size, and the only place I've found anything is at places like Macy's or Nordstroms, and they don't carry 34ddd maternity or nursing bras in the store here. :

#171 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 04:11 PM

Congrats Tigermiep on your baby boy!! :

And all kinds of : for the ultrasound good news today :

Quasar was all sneaky, but I will join in with both feet. I even changed my siggy.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#172 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 04:29 PM

tigermiep: T just said:

"A baby boy? JUST LIKE US? Then we'll come over there with TWO KIDS! and then there'll be THREE BOYS! Isn't that fun when there's three boys?"

Congrats! :

Smartycat: good on you for throwing her thermometer away. Quasar: stop peeing on things. You're pregnant.

#173 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 05:03 PM

tigermiep Yeah for little boys!

I'm betting mine is a boy already. I had three dreams last night(1 in between each time I got up to pee) 2 dreams I was looking for the baby in my house. When I found him, I knew it was a boy. The third, my 30 year old son came home for a visit. He had dark brown hair and hazel eyes. I can't wait to see if these dreams come true!

#174 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 PM

Okay, you guys, I am sooo emotional today. All of this happy ultrasound news is literally making me teary.

(Though, so did the news on NPR that Ludacris has a song out supporting Barack Obama, as well as the arrival of my college's alumni newsletter, followed by fantasies of my kid growing up with a non-white president in office and then following in my educational footsteps.)

Jeez. It's like the first trimester all over again. Turn on the spigot...

But seriously, congrats, everyone. I am so thrilled to hear about lots of happy, viable, healthy babies.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#175 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM

Angela - GOOD! good! floods of hormones are a good sign!!!

#176 of 468 Old 07-31-2008, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
quasar!!!!! where the hell have i been!!!

congrats! gosh i'm so happy for you!!!!

::::::::

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#177 of 468 Old 08-01-2008, 08:29 AM

Wow, I was away for a couple of days and look at all the good news! I should stay away more often!

Congratulations to everyone - tiger on the boy, quasar and smarty on the newest little ones, Angela on being right there at the end, pigirl and pranava on great ultrasounds, s&d almost at the end of the first trimester and everyone else!
#178 of 468 Old 08-01-2008, 02:10 PM

looks like yesterday was a great day for ultrasounds!

We will have to go back in next week and see the peri about our ultrasound, as I have a marginal previa, and there was something not quite perfect with the kidney ducts (kiddo's, not mine). also, he wouldn't let them get a profile shot, so they need that, too.

: for everything working itself out....

#179 of 468 Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 AM

hey! you must all be out having fun. stoppit! stop having fun! post now! now post! post post post!
:

good morning.

#180 of 468 Old 08-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Yeah, Quasar and I are working today... So all fun must stop. :nana:

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page