The Queer & Pregnant thread -- June, July, and August - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 468 Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did have fun sleeping til 11.

But my child has a very whiny note in his voice that is kind of like a mosquito buzzing in one's ear.

And I have a lot of laundry to do, but I am paranoid to go in the basement because a compact fluorescent light bulb broke down there and despite DW having cleaned it up, I am scared I am going to poison my fetus with mercury vapors. Sigh.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#182 of 468 Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm working too ... which is getting increasingly uncomfortable what with my uniform pants not cooperating with my expanding belly.
And we have a new puppy, which means that I'm popping home to let him out every couple of hours. That's my day, start to finish. Oh, and a good book to read at the ambulance station. It's been quiet. Of course, now that I say that, we'll get a code 3 call just to prove me wrong.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#183 of 468 Old 08-03-2008, 10:42 PM

S&D, I remember a woman who worked for my dad complaining about the same thing with scrub pants. They expand only so much.

Would a Bella Band do the trick?

Angela, we want some more gratuitous belly shots on your blog. Unless you've got gratuitous post-childbirth mama-baby shots.

I have been so groggy and run-down today... I'm wondering if sleeping til 11 was really a good idea.

#184 of 468 Old 08-03-2008, 11:26 PM

Hmm, so today, in an attempt to escape the heat, I dragged DP (I still feel weird about that acronym, given the ups and downs of my love life over this past year, but I'm just gonna run with it) and two of my friends to the mall, where I bought lip gloss and played air hockey at the arcade in an attempt to induce labor. I know, unconventional, but I remembered that section in Ina May where she talks about how she got one of her clients to arm wrestle and that got a stalled labor moving again. Sadly, it didn't seem to work, though man, people sure do love to stare at a pregnant lady kicking ass at air hockey.

Tomorrow is my 40-week appointment, and my due date. We're planning to head to the beach afterwards, weather permitting, which should soften the blow of not having a baby yet.

No other real news. My mother is here, which has been a mixed blessing. She's planning to stay until December to help out, which is great, though it remains to be seen how much help she'll actually be. On the bright side, she rented a room about a mile away, so she's not actually staying in my apartment, which is very good.

I've also been knitting a baby blanket, which is not finished. I hope the baby isn't waiting for completion, because trying to work with wool in this humidity is not so much fun...

S&D, I outgrew all of my pants long before I actually looked pregnant. It sucked. Luckily, as a grad student, I was able to hang out in sweat pants most of the time, but there definitely came a point when I felt like I'd scream if I put on the same gray fleecy pants again.

Okay, I'm tired and spacy. Will keep everyone updated. And yes, blog entries and photos, sometime soon...

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#185 of 468 Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Angela - my friend Steph swore by running stairs to induce labor. I tried acupuncture, eggplant parmesan, sex, a breast pump, homeopathic caullophylum and finally a shiatsu massage. I would HIGHLY recommend the massage right now if you've got any spare $, even 1/2 hour of prenatal massage would probably make you feel awesome.

And I, too, would love to see a huge pregnant woman kicking butt at air hockey.

Keeping fingers crossed for a new arrival soon! Don't stress if it's another week or two, though. No panicking. Beach time - good idea.

#186 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 AM

: How exciting! This thread is so active. I'm inspired by all the awesome knocked up queer folk.

Angela...your beautiful girl is almost here. I'm so thrilled for you. Look after yourself and enjoy the beach.

We found out we're having a boy today. I'd be lying if I said that there wasn't some disappointment - there were even some tears but I'm working through that and I'm starting to get really excited about raising an evolved, emotionally intelligent, feminist man. Just don't expect me ever to like baby blue!!!

The good news is that Squeak is really healthy and still huge - he's measuring about a week ahead still. It's only that we can pinpoint conception with certainty that no one has insisted we change our dates. The interesting thing is that the ultrasound showed a medium sized uterine fibroid and I'm now wondering if that's what was obstructing a quicker conception. Anyway, providing it doesn't get too much bigger, it shouldn't interfere with a natural birth and it's all good. I'll def get it removed if I decide to conceive a 2nd bub though.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#187 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 AM

MMM, I know what you're saying, I was also disappointed when I heard (and saw!) that our little Brussels (in-utero nickname til we settle on a name) is a boy and not a girl. I just had such a strong feeling that baby was a girl. Now we're slowly getting used to it. And yes, the world needs more tender, strong, feminist boys and men. I am certain your boy (and all of our boys!) will have just the upbringing to grow into the kind of man we wish there were more of in our world

Just be prepared... boys do really weird things. Like fake burp and talk about barf and poop all the time. but they're genuine and don't do things like bat their eyelashes at you while they refuse to do the thing you've asked them to do, a la our neighbor girl (whom we do really like, but still, I can deal with my son's physical outbursts and tantrums better than I can her cocked head and batty eyelashes!!).

eta: ok. not all boys. there must be some exceptions to the rule. I just seem to be raising one of those non-exceptions.

#188 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 PM

OK, I have to share a funny story from this morning... And keep in mind that we are probably the soggiest members of MDC

Quasar and I were laying in bed wondering what the baby will look like. Our donor is part Irish and one of quasar's biggest fears is that the baby will have red hair... even though there is no red hair in the donor's family. So I was saying that if the baby had red hair I would have to save the placenta so she could eat it to stave off PPD (totally gross idea to quasar ). To debunk the idea that placenta snacking helps with PPD, quasar pointed out that hamsters eat their placentas yet go on to kill their young ones more times than not. OK, maybe it doesn't seem so funny when I type it out but it had me : this morning. :nana:

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#189 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 12:48 PM

quasar, dear, I don't have to tell you that MOST (if not all) animals eat their placentas! Hamsters are just psycho.

I've thought about it... but I have no means of drying it, which is how I would want to do it (dry it and take in capsules). The thought of just eating it does not do much for me, appetite-wise...

#190 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 01:39 PM

Yeah, I had about half a second where I considered the placenta eating thing. It was, however, one of those moments where I just had to come to terms with the limits of my own crunchiness.

MMM- Congrats on your healthy baby! The gender thing is weird, isn't it? I was soooo sure I was having a boy, and felt very ambivalent about that, so much so that I was afraid to even think about the possibility of it being a girl. And now, as the hour grows near, I've become convinced that the ultrasound was wrong, and that I'm actually having a boy. I console myself with the thought that my (I think) first choice name seems better suited for a boy than a girl. Though, I think I'll use it regardless. Or I won't. Can't decide. I think I just need to meet the kid first.

Jen- Thanks for the labor suggestions. We've been having lots of sex, stimulating those nipples, and eating spicy foods, and I've been swimming lots of laps almost every day. I have considered the stair thing, but it's just too friggin' hot and humid here. I feel winded every time I walk up the one flight to my apartment. I'm not too worried yet (today is my actual due date), though I really, really, really want to avoid the induction spiral. My ex, who's also my best friend in the world, is arriving tomorrow from the west coast with her girlfriend. I had hoped the baby would be here by now, so that they could meet it, but, on the bright side, this will make it easier for us to go to the beach and spend some quality time together. And, her GF is a massage therapist, so I do indeed have my prenatal massage on the way!

Okay, gotta go eat before my MW appointment. I'm going to the beach immediately afterwards, in hopes of spurring on an ocean-induced labor...

#191 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smartycat -That's a completely hysterical conversations : If it eases your mind any, it is usually Scottish people who have the hight tendency toward red hair and not the Irish as much.

Angela - : Crossing my fingers for an ocean induced labor!

MMM - Oh how the world needs more enlightened men! I'm sure there won't be an ounce of dissapointment when you hold him for the first time

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#192 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 05:55 PM

I, for one, have an ADORABLE red-headed kid. :

#193 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Sorry Jen, my red-haired comment wasn't meant to offend anyone with red hair themselves or their little ones. I guess it's kind of like the conversations about if you want a boy or a girl and that would just be my preference not to have that particular trait. For a long time too I was completely freaked out by the idea of having a girl, and I've softened up on that a ton since TTC. Now, it really doesn't matter to me, and I'm just happy that I have a baby on the way. : But we will still be finding out ahead of time, so I can be prepared just in case I freak out again.

I go in for my first doctor's appointment tomorrow. I'm hoping to have the beta tests run so I can see how things are going. Ok.. I must admit I'm still peeing on things. Not because I don't believe I'm pregnant, but because without a thermometer, I need to have something to do in the morning. So anyway, we only have one internet cheapie left, and smartycat said I should wait till tomorrow for that one if I'm going to use it, because it might finally be as dark as the control line. Instead, I did an OPK today. OMG! That was sooo exciting!!! :The test line came up as soon as the dye hit it and it came out darker than the control. That was more exciting to watch than the pregnancy tests! I could watch that all day long!

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#194 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
I, for one, have an ADORABLE red-headed kid. :
I'm a red head and for many years was terrified of having a red-headed boy. y'know, cos they were always the dorky ones. I've moved well beyond that now and kinda like the idea of Squeak having a thick mop of curly red hair, just like his Mama.

Thanks all for your wise words re having a boy. I'm getting used to the idea and I know it'll be a non issue the second he pops out. I haven't told anyone IRL yet. I know that there'll be a few people who will be judgemental and ask us what on earth two non-butch lesbians are going to do with a boy. Two people already have, before we even told them we were going to find out... Helpful, thanks! grrrr :

Quasar & smartycat - lots of luck at the doctor today! How exciting :

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#195 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 PM

My kid does get a LOT of comments on his red hair. His donor had straight, thick red hair, and I had red hair as a kid til I was 3, and my dad had red hair til he was 9. So it does run in the genes here. I wish that Brussels had the same donor, but there was absolutely no samples from his donor available anywhere - bank or donor sibling registry - so we have a totally different donor who, instead of being Irish and French, is German and Polish! (So perhaps the Irish name we've settled on is completely wrong for him?!)

What are two non-butch lesbians going to do with a little boy? Um... love him unconditionally?! :

#196 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 PM

idk, quasar, I think you're an antirufite.

a stick-peeing antirufite. :

I'm a redhead, too, and we're hoping for one. maybe q and s and i will have to trade?

Angela, I'm thinking big, ripe, juicy thoughts for you.

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#197 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
a stick-peeing antirufite. :
: nope... not me...

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#198 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 PM

Angela- Any luck with the ocean induction? :

#199 of 468 Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 PM

Hey, I'm a redhead too! Doesn't this seem like a rather large concentration of redheads in one place? Oh my god, I think we may have discovered that elusive gay gene!

Seriously, I'd be really psyched if my kid ends up with red hair, though since my donor and everyone in his family have dark brown hair, it seems a bit unlikely. I considered choosing a redheaded donor in hopes of breeding one, but the pickings were sort of slim. Also, I'm one of those rare redheads who tan (got that olive skin from my Greek father), and all of the potential redhead donors were super fair skinned. Since I try to spend as much of my life at the beach as possible, it seemed sort of cruel to intentionally breed a kid who was likely to sunburn. So, my particular eugenic preferences were based on the donor's olive complexion and his 75 million motile sperm per cc.

Umm, Pranava, you made my day with that ocean smiley icon. Somehow I had missed that!

So, my midwife's appointment was fine. Everything looks happy and healthy. She said that if nothing's doing by the middle of next week (week 41) she wants to check in with an ultrasound and non-stress test, and that she would recommend thinking about induction at 42 weeks. She didn't seem at all eager to push that though, which is good, and also seemed like she could be flexible on giving it a few days after 42 weeks if everything looks healthy. I *really* hope that it's a non-issue, but it felt good to be on the same page.

Happy pregnancy vibes to everyone out there!

#200 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar View Post
Angela- Any luck with the ocean induction? :
Can this be my new trademark smiley? Sadly, no labor yet, but as far as I'm concerned, that just means we need to try again tomorrow...

Dissertation? What dissertation??

#201 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 AM

I want to violently kick my cat.

She came into the bedroom, meowing in sweet little chirps at 3:30.

I was finally MAYBE starting to doze off again around 4:45 and she returned. When I tried to ignore her, she began to scratch the bedframe.

There is nothing amiss. Her food and water bowls are overflowing. But I am now doomed to managing a day with a nearly-four-year-old on about 4.5 hours of sleep, unless I can fall asleep in the next 8 minutes and manage another 2.5 hours which is looking painfully unlikely.

I love my cats, but what the hell? She hides in a closet all day, comes out @ 8:30 when my son goes to bed, and then decides she needs people to wake up and give her affection in the middle of the night?!

I am having fantasies about wrapping her muzzle with vetwrap. But worst of all, I am not sleeping.

#202 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 AM

Oh Jen, I feel for you. I have had horrendous pregnancy insomnia, and I wake up in the middle of the night and want absolutely nothing more than to sleep, but I end up lying there for an hour or two just feeling frustrated until I fall asleep again. Our dogs used to sleep with us but between us all being uncomfortably warm this summer and them waking me up when they moved around, thus triggering the 1-2 hours of hell, we decided they needed to sleep in their crate for a while. Everyone is happier!

It dawned on me yesterday that soon, I won't be part of the "queer and pregnant" label anymore. I'm on hospital bedrest now and hoping to make it 2 more weeks.
#203 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 AM

We had an appt yesterday and we are 50% effaced..and zero dialation: I cant wait for her to get here this is so exciting. Dp is having major pubic symphisis pain....we might have our lil one sooner than later but i hope she waits until I start my time off!!!

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#204 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Scalpel, that's exciting! And you seem un-worried about her coming early, so good birthing to you two!

Venustx: I'm still thinking good stay-in-there-and-cook vibes for your triplets. The longer, the better!

I am pleased to report that I did NOT violently kick the cat and did get back to sleep around 5:30 and slept til 8, so I'm not full of vibrant energy, but I at least did get a few more hours. The cat is, of course, nowhere to be found, and I have a very immature urge to go pull her out of my dw's closet and molest her with affection every hour today. I guess that probably doesn't work on cats, though.

Hey, did you all know that the word 'rufite' is not in the dictionary, but it does mean something in Kinyarwanda (language spoken in Rwanda)... I've managed to figure out that it means red-head, but are you sure you didn't invent the word, miep?

Angela, glad there was no pressure from the midwife re: induction. If you need someone to cheer you over the next few days/weeks, just let me know. btdt. Sometimes the freedom to go over 42 weeks relaxes you enough for it to get started. I went into labor at 42w1d.

Work to do... I want someone with a magic wand to come into my house, say "sim sala bim" and magically transport everything that is not useful, not beautiful or will not be used in the future to the thrift store. And then put everything else that needs storing... somewhere. Somewhere that is not here.

#205 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 PM

I think she made up rufite too, Jen. Must admit I googled it and couldn't understand the language of the webpages it came up with... smartycat deduced what it meant.

Scalpel, that's awesome! Glad things are going great out your way! :

Any tips on exercising while pregnant? I was all prepared to do my regular activities, which really aren't that much, but I have an overprotective dad that I think is going to freak out if I do anything physically active. It's almost like he thinks any movement will put the baby at risk. Seriously... he yelled at me for running across the street, and had forbid me from playing in a softball game. I'm 4 weeks along... I was thinking since it's nice out that I would go bike riding until I started actually showing a bit (one site I read warned against it after 4 mos because of becoming off-balance) and maybe doing some mild exercises on the eliptical trainer. My sister suggested water aerobics, but I'm not really interested in that too much because I don't like routines. Maybe yoga or swimming? What do y'all do and does that change as you get further along?

#206 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 12:42 PM

re: exercising: what I've been told is to keep doing whatever you like to do and are used to doing. My midwife with #1 gave me permission to keep inline skating through 20 weeks or until I developed a noticeable bump that might get squished if I fell, or until I felt my balance changing.

I think that the big thing to stay away from is activities that are very jarring, like horseback riding or pogo sticking (since I'm sure you're a big pogo-sticker, quasar ), and high-contact activities - martial arts, obviously, I've also seen basketball mentioned... everything else got the okay as long as you listen to your body and stop if something hurts.

Yoga and swimming always get the big votes because yoga strengthens you with little to no impact and swimming takes all of the weight and stress off of your body. As you get bigger I can promise you will LOOOOOVE swimming. I used to swim at the YWCA when I was 35+ weeks pregnant and the lifeguard always looked worried that I was going to give birth in the pool.

Walking is also good...

Tell your dad that it is better for you to keep up your physical activity because the pregnancy will be less exhausting for you and you'll be better prepared for the physical demands of childbirth! (Which is true!)

#207 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My queerdom for a pool!
I want to be swimming all the time ... but our town doesn't have a pool.
We have lakes. Lots of lakes, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. Especially when you are a cantankerous pregnant woman.
We went to the lake yesterday, but apparently I was in a 'mood' and wasn't pleased that I didn't have it ALL TO MYSELF, which I usually do.
I forgot that it was the tail end of a long weekend, so the lake was packed. By packed, I mean there was maybe ten people there, spread over the three swimming spots. Methinks I am in the clutches of hormone induced bitchiness?
Anyway, I got in a snit, and we went to the river instead. But as I get bigger, and the lake gets colder, I think I'll have to suck up the price of gas and drive to the next town over ... about 34 kilometres, to swim in their pool.

Hey Angela... try making some Really Big Plan. Like going to a Very Important Wedding or attending a small child's So Very Big Deal Piano Recital. That should get the baby going. Babies loooove throwing wrenches at things like that.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#208 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Aw, darn... Those pogo-stick championships are coming up in a couple months, too. I was so looking forward to them with all the training I've been doing....:

Thanks for the input. I pretty much figured that I could continue as normal and was planning on it. My dad's just paranoid. He got into it with my sister at a family reunion a few years ago when she wanted to do the 3-legged race and she was about 3months along. I know that exercise would benefit both me and the baby, and I know I don't want to live in fear that any little choice I make is going to make him mad (be it what eat or what activities I do). So I guess what he doesn't know can't hurt him, right? At least I don't live with him so he won't be able to watch my every move. As for swimming, we live only a few minutes away from a lake, but every year at least 3-5 times, the beach is closed due to bacteria levels. I'm obviously a little scared to dip into those waters. But the neighbors have an awesome pool, and the YMCA is only a few blocks away, so I might have to tap into those resources some time.

#209 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As for exercise, I've been jogging about a 1/2 mile and walking a mile a day. I do notice that I get winded easier and I have to slow down on hot muggy days. I've also been doing some major remodeling to our house - Things like holding 2X4's and drills over my head while balancing on a ladder. I'm in a big hurry to get this major work done since I'm pretty sure a sheet of plywood weighs more than 25lbs and I probably shouldn't be on a ladder after about 4 months. I figure I have about 10 weekends left to get the projects finished! Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#210 of 468 Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 PM

LOL, I can just picture it, pranava! Did we ever tell you guys the story of our kitten getting locked in smartycat's bathroom? Long story short... I had to climb a ladder to the second floor of our house a couple weekends ago, tear through the screen and climb through the window that I could hardly get to when I was standing on the top rung of the ladder. If my dad had seen that, he would have had a fit! I can only imagine if I was doing remodeling over here what he'd say about it. Guess that's why I didn't tell him that I moved some furniture and boxes the other day... I'm not trying to push the limits or anything, I'm just trying to get things in order.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page