The Queer & Pregnant Thread --- mid-Sept. till Dec. 2008 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 655 Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jen-- great belly picture! I love the 38+ week pregnant pictures...those are the ones that no one really imagines when they think of pregnant women. "typical" pregnant woman in the media is probably 6-7 months pregnant. Then we go into hiding??!!!

Today has been emotionally TOUGH for me! I know the hormones are raging, but man, the tears have been coming soooo frequently. It's been kinda hard on DW today (sorry Megin love).

Possibly TMI coming below, so don't read if you get icked out....
I have been using progesterone suppositories--100 mg at night. Mostly it's fine because I go to bed and don't have to deal with the drippy, creamy, nasty vagina feeling. I shower in the morning, and everything is fine. HOWEVER, at some point during every day, I also seem to get INCREDIBLY itchy in my vagina. I end up itching, and it gets raw and then stings. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? Or do I just suffer for 4 more weeks??!!

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
#482 of 655 Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcl View Post
JHas anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? Or do I just suffer for 4 more weeks??!!
I just suffered. And I had to put those buggers in three times a day. :
A cool, wet compress helped on occasion. Sorry, hon. I know it is NASTY.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#483 of 655 Old 11-17-2008, 11:57 AM

I'm curious...how is it determined if you take progesterone orally or vaginally? I take mine orally...so I don't deal with any side effects really. I'm just wondering if it is more beneficial or something to take vaginally?

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#484 of 655 Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 PM

jen, more of it gets absorbed when it's taken vaginally.

hth,
g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#485 of 655 Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart-n-bones View Post
Wow! Thanks for the tip! I just bought one. I'm a little skeptical. That's too good a deal. But I checked the recall list and the car seat seems okay. I hope it really comes and there's no catch.
My guess is that the "catch" is that it's an older manufacture date, like from 2007 (which just means that the seat will expire sooner since these seats expire after 6 years, and that the label gives it a 33 lb. rear-facing weight limit (the new ones have a 35-pound RF limit)). Still, an *excellent* deal. I bought one too, and we don't even really need one (though we'll certainly find use for it with playdates and family visiting, etc.). Couldn't resist the cow print.

Thanks for the tip, 2HM!

Also, we had our first midwife appointment this morning! : It was so great! I love our midwives! We mostly just talked and talked and talked, but one midwife also felt Lena's uterus and it was just where it should be, which was a nice confirmation. They showed us the "actual size" picture of what the baby looks like right now, and it was such a cute little alien baby! I am more excited than ever right now. I feel so lucky.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#486 of 655 Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennM1021 View Post
I'm curious...how is it determined if you take progesterone orally or vaginally? I take mine orally...so I don't deal with any side effects really. I'm just wondering if it is more beneficial or something to take vaginally?
Jenn ... more gets absorbed and it's less likely to make you drowsy if you do the twatsticker method. When I took them orally, I'd fall asleep twenty minutes later.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#487 of 655 Old 11-17-2008, 04:45 PM

twatsticker?

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#488 of 655 Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 PM

aaaaaargh, we just got an e-mail saying that the Marathon was "incorrectly priced" and that the real price is $279.99 and they are unable to offer it for incorrect price.

Sigh.

#489 of 655 Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Yeah, me too. Dang!
#490 of 655 Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Sorry to those of you that weren't able to get a Marathon. That sucks! I couldn't even try for one since I'm in Canada, but it looked like such a good deal!

For those of you who were sending good vibes to our littlest niece, I wanted to let you know that she had surgery last week. They did a fundoplication surgery to try and avoid more reflux and further aspiration pneumonias, and put in a Gtube. She seems to be recovering from ther surgeries well, and should be home for Christmas. So thanks for all your good vibes!

Now much new with me. I seem to be carrying smaller this time than I did with E, and it's making me a bit sad. I popped out quick, but now my tummy isn't getting as big as fast as I thought it would. Oh well. What can you do. I just want to look good and pregnant in our Christmas photos, gosh darn it!

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#491 of 655 Old 11-18-2008, 07:05 PM

well, 36 week checkup went fine yesterday. baby is moving around like crazy today. they did the strepB swab, and I'll get the results next week. Baby is head down. he's smart, our kid.

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#492 of 655 Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 PM

Hey, I was just wondering if it would be cool to join up here. I was pregnant last year and posted on this site then but we lost the baby and have been on the long road back to pregnancy. We finally made it though and we are thrilled!!!!!

J&M parenting our little breast-feeding, co-sleeping, moby-riding sleepytime.gif since July '09! Added a baby.gif brother in March '12!

#493 of 655 Old 11-19-2008, 04:06 PM

Welcome, ninefirefly!
So sorry about your loss ... but happy to see you here.

#494 of 655 Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Welcome ninefirefly!!

I felt a definite kick early this morning, followed by some "bubbles". It was all very exciting! I really hated to get out of bed cause I knew I wouldn't be able to feel it again once I started moving around. But yay for definite movement!!!

Then, after I got up a huge hormonal dip hit and I have spent the rest of the day crying at every little thing. Poor DP. She really got hit with it this morning when I started crying over the board she leaves on the sofa to keep the dog from jumping up there while we're at work. She deserves an award for putting up with me throughout all my hormonal mood swings!
#495 of 655 Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 PM

That's so cool that you felt the baby, heart-n-bones!
Yay for quickening! :

As for me, we had a routine midwife appointment yesterday where we talked about things varying from strap-on sex in the third trimester to what we'll do about the dogs at the homebirth ... geez do I ever love my funky queer midwife. She rocks.

The baby kicked one of my patients last night! That was funny. I was in the back of the ambulance, sitting on the bench while the patient was lying on the cot. I took her arm and draped it across my lap so I could take her blood pressure (this is a trick for when the ambulance is moving ...) when all of a sudden the baby let loose a big ol' karate chop and the patient felt it.

We had a laugh, and then she told me the story of her oldest's birth, some 50 odd years ago. The road was closed because of flooding, so they sent the train to get her, but then on the way down there was an avalanche on the track, so she had to get out of the train and hike over the rubble to an awaiting rail truck, which was going to take her into town, but then she went ahead and had the baby right there on the rail truck! Wow.

#496 of 655 Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Yay how exciting heart-n-bones! I can't wait for that! I must be very reassuring.

S&D - that is very cool, can you imagine giving birth on a rail truck? I guess when it's time it's time. What did you decide about your dogs? I was wondering that myself. . . I'm not sure mine would be too helpfull!

J&M parenting our little breast-feeding, co-sleeping, moby-riding sleepytime.gif since July '09! Added a baby.gif brother in March '12!

#497 of 655 Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefirefly View Post
What did you decide about your dogs? I was wondering that myself. . . I'm not sure mine would be too helpfull!
Ours would chew the umbilical cord off themselves, eat the placenta and lick the baby clean. Then Beau would barf the placenta between the cushions of our couch. This is one reason we will not be having a home birth.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#498 of 655 Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartycat View Post
Ours would chew the umbilical cord off themselves, eat the placenta and lick the baby clean. Then Beau would barf the placenta between the cushions of our couch. This is one reason we will not be having a home birth.

#499 of 655 Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't have a homebirth because I imagine tumbleweeds of cat hair flying through the room and sticking to the slimy new baby's little lips Better that the baby be dry when it comes into the hairy mess that is my house!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#500 of 655 Old 11-20-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninefirefly View Post
What did you decide about your dogs? I was wondering that myself. . . I'm not sure mine would be too helpfull!
Well, considering that we're a three hour drive away from where we will be having our 'home' birth (at my sister's place in the city ... we live in the boonies where midwives can't practice and there's no hospital), we're hoping, hoping, hoping to drop them off at the kennel on the way down and leave them there for a day or two. My sister will put her dog there too. Worse comes to worse and we labour and travel and deliver during the night, the dogs will be managed by by sister's girlfriend in another room.

Our one old dog will be worried for me and want to stay close ... she'd be quiet and concerned. Our puppy would be confused and likely too interested in everything, and my sister's dog would be manic. So I don't mind if Sailor (the old one) hangs around near me as she's my best bud and we go way back, but the other two will need managing.

How's that for a long answer to what should be a simple question? Goodness me ...

#501 of 655 Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM

I wouldn't mind having my pug with me becuase we are bff but she would likely try to get in the water to 'save' me like she does at my mom's pool. Then she would likely lose interest at some point and go off to bark her head off at the neighbor's dog.

Either way your plan sounds good! I'm sure your fur-babies will be fine and entertained at the kennel and will get to come home to a brand new baby!

#502 of 655 Old 11-21-2008, 09:59 AM

okay. done with pregnant now. ready for baby. except that I have no coverage at work until the due date.

and it's really, really cold here.:

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#503 of 655 Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM

it has begun. even friends of mine are asking me "where's that baby?". I'm getting all kinds of recommendations for how to get labor to start and plenty of well-intentioned, oh-so-adorable (OBNOXIOUS) comments.

I'm only 38w6d! Why must we rush this? It's like Christmas decorations before Halloween... or shortly thereafter. I'm actually hoping I'm still pregnant a week from now because it will be our traditional go pick out a Christmas tree day, and I would love to have that Christmas tree up before baby comes. And next Sunday is the Advent Garden at my son's school, and I'd love to make that, too.

my son has just gotten over a gross intestinal bug, I had the fever aspect of it last night and went to bed around 5. If all I had to do today was rest and recuperate, I'd do fine, but I've got to entertain Mr. Not-Quite-Well-Enough-To-Go-To-School. Thank God my wife's coming home at lunchtime.

2HM how are things this week?

Oh, my hips.

#504 of 655 Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermiep View Post
okay. done with pregnant now. ready for baby. except that I have no coverage at work until the due date.

and it's really, really cold here.:
When is your EDD again? I hope your baby comes soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
it has begun. even friends of mine are asking me "where's that baby?". I'm getting all kinds of recommendations for how to get labor to start and plenty of well-intentioned, oh-so-adorable (OBNOXIOUS) comments.

I'm only 38w6d! Why must we rush this? It's like Christmas decorations before Halloween... or shortly thereafter. I'm actually hoping I'm still pregnant a week from now because it will be our traditional go pick out a Christmas tree day, and I would love to have that Christmas tree up before baby comes. And next Sunday is the Advent Garden at my son's school, and I'd love to make that, too.

my son has just gotten over a gross intestinal bug, I had the fever aspect of it last night and went to bed around 5. If all I had to do today was rest and recuperate, I'd do fine, but I've got to entertain Mr. Not-Quite-Well-Enough-To-Go-To-School. Thank God my wife's coming home at lunchtime.

Oh, my hips.
I really hope the gross intestinal bug does not decide to take up residence in your intestines. I can't imagine that would be fun anytime, but especially not at 39 weeks.

I hear ya on the rushing pregnancy thing. My grandma calls about twice a week to "see if you've had that baby yet." Yeah, Granny. I have had her and just decided not to tell you. I know she might very well come early, but I am only 34 weeks tomorrow! Damn! She needs to stay put for a while.

I really, really do not want her to come before December 20th. That gets me to 38 weeks and my last day of work is the 19th!

Miss Coco is doing great right now! She passed the non-stress test with flying colors on Monday. The OB said she would need to be hooked up to the thing for at least 20 minutes. But she came in after only 8, looked at the reading, and said to take it off because the baby was perfect. Monday's ultrasound was good. The AFI increased from 11.9 to 12.2 in a week's time. Doppler of the cord was good. She is still head down. Most importantly, the placenta has not broken down further. It's **** calcified and at a grade III, but it maintained over the week. We go back Monday for round three of all the same testing.

OB made a comment about possibly delivering before 36 weeks and that scared me. I had asked about the GBS testing and she said that she does not usually test until 36 weeks, but she wanted to go ahead and test me because I "may not go to 36 weeks." Ugh. One thing made me smile. The OB said, "You know what I always say. A beta in the hand is worth two in the bush." WTH? She's such a dork.

DW and I are touring a hospital in an hour. They are the only certified baby-friendly hospital in town. It still makes me sad, but I feel like I need to do everything in my power to keep this baby safe. I always said I wanted a homebirth but would not hesitiate to transfer care if the slightest issue came up....it's been harder said than done, though. I kept trying to rationalize continuing with the homebirth. DW and I finally talked and came to the conclusion to transfer care. She's really nervous now about complications and I have to realize that it's her daughter, too. The decision is not only mine and it does not only impact me.

I'll let everyone know how the tour goes....they do have four rooms at the hospital with birthing tubs!
#505 of 655 Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Yeah the phone calls have started with me now too! And they're made worse because I'm on pre-eclampsia watch because of some borderline (high end of normal) test results that I'm sure are fine but the world around has gone crazy over. More testing & monitoring on Monday. grrr. Obviously I understand the seriousness of pre-e but I think this is all overkill and the stress of it certainly isn't helping my blood pressure.

Suddenly my crumbling pelvis isn't bothering me nearly as much.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#506 of 655 Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happymamas View Post

Miss Coco is doing great right now! She passed the non-stress test with flying colors on Monday. The OB said she would need to be hooked up to the thing for at least 20 minutes. But she came in after only 8, looked at the reading, and said to take it off because the baby was perfect. Monday's ultrasound was good. The AFI increased from 11.9 to 12.2 in a week's time. Doppler of the cord was good. She is still head down. Most importantly, the placenta has not broken down further. It's **** calcified and at a grade III, but it maintained over the week. We go back Monday for round three of all the same testing.

OB made a comment about possibly delivering before 36 weeks and that scared me. I had asked about the GBS testing and she said that she does not usually test until 36 weeks, but she wanted to go ahead and test me because I "may not go to 36 weeks." Ugh. One thing made me smile. The OB said, "You know what I always say. A beta in the hand is worth two in the bush." WTH? She's such a dork.

DW and I are touring a hospital in an hour. They are the only certified baby-friendly hospital in town. It still makes me sad, but I feel like I need to do everything in my power to keep this baby safe. I always said I wanted a homebirth but would not hesitiate to transfer care if the slightest issue came up....it's been harder said than done, though. I kept trying to rationalize continuing with the homebirth. DW and I finally talked and came to the conclusion to transfer care. She's really nervous now about complications and I have to realize that it's her daughter, too. The decision is not only mine and it does not only impact me.

I'll let everyone know how the tour goes....they do have four rooms at the hospital with birthing tubs!
So glad you and CoCo are doing well. I'm facing the possibility of being risked out of the birth centre so it's good to track the mental/emotional process you're going through with transferring care. I hope it continues to go well and you can get really comfortable with the necessary transfer.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#507 of 655 Old 11-22-2008, 03:42 AM

We felt some pretty good thumping tonight. I had just eaten an apple and he must have liked it a bunch. I felt a little bit of movement, so I put my hand on my belly and he gave a really strong kick! Afterwards, he gave at least a couple more strong ones, and a few smaller ones so that smartycat could feel it too. : He's ben occasionally kicking off and on, but this was by far the most significant. We just turned 20 weeks Friday, and have been waiting patiently for him to give us some signs.

2happymamas- Glad Coco's doing well! I hope the tour went well and you're able to have a birth that's at least somewhat in line with what you were hoping for.

Wow, it's so awesome to have a few of you getting close to the finish line! Jen, not sure why, but I always think of you as being around 20 weeks or so. Good luck to all of you as you get ready for your arrivals. I hope they hold out till you're ready for them!

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#508 of 655 Old 11-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Ohhhh, I can't wait to feel thumping! That must be so exciting!

#509 of 655 Old 11-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Is it labor?

Is it my uterus just being crabby from the GI bug that my son gave me?

Only time will tell!

Updates to come.

#510 of 655 Old 11-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
Is it labor?

Is it my uterus just being crabby from the GI bug that my son gave me?

Only time will tell!

Updates to come.
Ohh, keep us updated. This could be so exciting!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page