The Queer & Pregnant Thread --- mid-Sept. till Dec. 2008 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 655 Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, mamas and otherwise-identified parents!

welcome to our newcomers, and big hurrahs! :

DP and I completed our crash-course Birthing from Within classes on Monday night. The other couple, an awesome woman and man from WI, are expecting any day now and wanted to complete the course before their due date, and we were happy to be along for the ride. I think that DP found it a little touchy-feely, but the general feedback she's given me has all been positive, and we feel like we're more prepared and know what questions to be asking ourselves, one another, and our HCP.

At my OB appt on Monday afternoon, I saw a different dr. from the same practice. I have been really loving these doctors - they're all so positive and caring and empowering to me as a mom. Dr Levitan said that the chances of my marginal previa not resolving by term are about 1%, "So go back to worrying about wearing your seat belt, eating omega-3s, and taking your prenatals!" I like her.

Our finances are looking pretty tight, too. DP is getting tired of being home so much since basically getting laid off, and there just isn't any business in this economic downturn for personal assistant/concierge/chef services. I think she's starting to look for something part-time until I go back to work after the baby is born, and she has talked about going to culinary school, which I would love for her to do. My father has offered to help out even more with $, for which I am so grateful. He's a ridiculously generous man.

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#182 of 655 Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 AM

pranava- big, big

got a kid in my arms, so can't type much, but know that i'm thinking of you. i have faith that you'll find a way to make things work, financially and emotionally. and as someone who was very ambivalent about pregnancy for quite awhile (and also unexpectedly single at three months), i can promise you that things on this side are so, so worth it. you are going to love that kid so much that you won't even remember not being 100% excited about this.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#183 of 655 Old 10-15-2008, 11:28 AM

OT to Angela:

Big props to Providence for being brave and coming to the Eastern Regional Women's Flat Track Derby tournament in Madison this last weekend and putting on a good showing even though they have 8 rookies and little experience. They were amazingly good sports and really, really positive

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#184 of 655 Old 10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
kjm

Can you add me?? EDD June 19th
Hey y'all!! Glad to be here after 17months TTC (though I took at least 5 of those months off)

I had 3 BFPs and had it confirmed by the doc yesterday--I am 4 weeks 4 days pregnant!!

I am delighted to be slightly nauseous and to be very tired--I'm still too excited to nap, but I try to take it easy in the afternoons.

My fears around the single mom stuff is starting to creep in. For those not in the know--I began TTC with DP of 3+ years, 1 year into TTC DP decided that baby making was NOT in DP's plan. We had a sad split and are currently working on building a non-monogamous/polyamorous model for our relationship. It is Really Hard Work!!! Especially after 4+ years of monogamy (though DP always wanted/pushed for poly)

So yeah sleeping alone has been getting to me. I think I need to find a cuddle pal to hold on these cold nights when DP can't/doesn't want to be there--this mama needs some warm hugs and lots of attention right now as my body works so hard to make space for my little Kale sprout.:

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#185 of 655 Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 PM

holy crap kjm!!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:

#186 of 655 Old 10-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Congrats Kjm!! That's very exciting TTC is stressful enough on it's own without relationship issues... I'm glad your finally growing your "Kale sprout"!
I hope you're able to work out some form of a relationship that works for both of you! :
I'm due about a week before you, June 13 so we'll be nauseous and excited together!:
Take care... and again... CONGRATS!
#187 of 655 Old 10-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Yeah KJM!!!!! : : : Welcome!!

I had a great OB visit this morning. Got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. It was fabulous! The OB let DP use the doppler on me. She really enjoyed that! The OB had said that my retroverted uterus should pop up into its proper place by the end of my first trimester. Well... yesterday was the last day of my first trimester and last night, I noticed that my cervix was no longer hanging out real low (or sticking out at times). It just magically popped up where its supposed to be! I was thrilled! So, all is well and normal now.
#188 of 655 Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 PM

Welcome Nnejy and Kjm! I'm also due in June. I'm coming up on the 7 week mark. I've been blessed up until the past couple of days with no nausea. Given how I feel now, I'm certainly thankful for the few weeks it waited to start!

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
#189 of 655 Old 10-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Welcome Nnejy! Always nice to see another Canadian babymaking queer around these parts.

And congrats to you kjm! Woo hoo!

For some reason, morning sickness seems to have hit me yesterday. At 12 weeks. I am not a very happy camper.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#190 of 655 Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nnejy ... welcome from another fellow Canuck, albeit a West Coaster.
I hear you about the food aversions. DP is a chef, and it just about broke her heart when I'd run fleeing from the room whenever she cooked meat.
It does get better! We went out to dinner last night and I had venison, which I couldn't have even considered fleetingly in the first trimester.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#191 of 655 Old 10-17-2008, 10:09 AM

Hello lovelies - after losing our little Caden earlier this year, K and I couldnt wait to try again.

We were thrilled and shocked when our one try worked and we are now 16 weeks pg with #3. I havent been on MDC much in the past yr but I see some familiar faces and would love to join back in here!

We didnt tell anyone about ttc again, and still no-one IRL knows of our secret bub (except our mums) so if you read my blog...please no congrats on our blog page!!! lol
#192 of 655 Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the welcome from my fellow canadians It's so great to be here!
Thanks for the reassurance that the food aversions will go away! This week has been particularly challening...and very... green Still loving every second though and knowing it will all be worth it when our little Junebug gets here!
How's everyone's week been?
#193 of 655 Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow ... this place is hopping!
Welcome to Kim and Brooke.
Sending out a prayer for your Caden and oodles of sticky, healthy baby vibes and long-life blessings for your little one on the way/

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#194 of 655 Old 10-17-2008, 01:45 PM

Just got back from the ultrasound appointment followed by lunch at Panera's.

I am very pleased (overjoyed, in fact) to report that there is only ONE baby in there. One. Thank goodness! Just like last time, people had me all worked up that it might be twins because my tummy popped out so quick. But I guess I just like to pop out there.

We didn't have an ultrasound this early with E, so it was really cool to get to see the baby so soon this time around. I got to see and hear the heartbeat, look at its little face, and see all its parts (minus the sex, of course.) It was a lot of fun, and I am feeling more relaxed now. The ultrasound placed my due date three or four days later that I had estimated, so it looks like we're on track for an early May baby.

Now to start building a newborn cloth diaper stash... :

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#195 of 655 Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Welcome back Kim&Brooke! :

Congrats on "only one" baby to lemurmommies! I had that very same relief upon learning (via u/s) that we were only having one baby the second time around.

We just got back dw's beta hcg levels from yesterday's blood test, and her level was 255 (at 14 dpo). Sounds good to me! She has to have another test on Monday (clinic protocol) so that we can schedule an early u/s to see the heartbeat (which we want to do before telling the kids).

Speaking of telling . . . I think we're going to tell dw's parents this weekend. They will be SHOCKED beyond belief because they don't even know we were ttc (last they knew dw was still adamant about never getting pregnant). I'm really excited to see their reaction.

I feel like I'm getting a flu or something. I hope dw has a super pregnancy immune system and doesn't catch it from me. :

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#196 of 655 Old 10-18-2008, 10:04 AM

*Please be advised of the rambling nature of this post. I know that science isn't terribly exact, but I got to thinking last night, and wanted to post to get any/all opinions you might have on the subject.*

Okay. I posted yesterday about the fact that I went in for a dating ultrasound at the request of my midwife, and that they pushed my due date back a few days. Yesterday I didn't really think much of it, but last night in bed I got to thinking, and now I'm really confused. And thinking I'm damn lucky to have gotten pregnant.

The ultrasound had the baby measuring at 11w3d, roughly. All fine and dandy. I have had longer cycles since having E, so I was thinking I was right around 12w. Off by about 4 days. But having a baby measuring at 11w3d would mean an ovulation date of approximately 8/11. Why is this odd? Well... our KD was in town and we inseminated 7/31, 8/1, 8/2, and 8/3.

Is it even possible that sperm survived from 8/3 to 8/11 just a-swimming inside me? Or is the babe just measuring small? I'm definitely going to bring this up to the midwife, as maybe she'll want to keep my original due date instead of the one from the untrasound. What do you think? Small baby? Or just a really, really, really lucky conception?

#197 of 655 Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Sorry you are stressing about this Lemurmommies. It is also quite likely that there is just "normal variation". Depending on how the baby was positioned when they took a crown-rump measurement it could be off a few mm. Each mm=1 day gestation. So a few mm "off" on the measurement and a few days off on your ovulation estimation could give you a difference of 4 days.

I think you are just very blessed to have a healthy baby, and a super fertile combo between you and your KD that makes super cute babies (as evidenced by E). : And that is what I would focus on.

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#198 of 655 Old 10-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
Is it even possible that sperm survived from 8/3 to 8/11 just a-swimming inside me? Or is the babe just measuring small? I'm definitely going to bring this up to the midwife, as maybe she'll want to keep my original due date instead of the one from the untrasound. What do you think? Small baby? Or just a really, really, really lucky conception?
I think it's possible that the sperm survived that long, but more likely that the baby is just a little small (or that the measurements were a little off). My babies have all measured big, even on "early" ultrasounds (that are supposed to be more accurate for dating). With Zeb I had an u/s at 13 weeks because they couldn't find a heartbeat, and he measured over a week big. The ultrasound technician wanted to change my EDD, but since I did an IUI with frozen sperm, I was 100% sure of the date of conception. When Zeb was born at 40 weeks, he weighed 10-10, so he was just BIG.

I wouldn't worry about it at all either way (if they change your date or not). The due date is such an approximation anyway.

Hooray for a healthy baby! :

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#199 of 655 Old 10-18-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
I think it's possible that the sperm survived that long, but more likely that the baby is just a little small (or that the measurements were a little off).
Thanks Lex. Like I said before, I didn't have an early ultrasound with E, so this is all new territory for me. If they do change my due date, it'll give me even more wiggle room for my VBAC, so that's okay in my books. I am just a little flabbergasted by the idea that 1) maybe the sperm really did hang out that long or 2) I might have a baby measuring small!

#200 of 655 Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 PM

Hi all! Congrats on the new pregnancies, hope all is well with everyone, just wanted to share my news! I had my daughter Phoebe Joy on the 9th of October! Yay! I posted a thread about it on the main queer parenting board with a link to pics!
#201 of 655 Old 10-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Congrats Becca!

#202 of 655 Old 10-19-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
It could possibly be both. None of this is exact science. You may not have ovulated exactly when you thought too. But with a long run between insem'ing and ovulating, you may have increased your chances of having a girl. I'll be really eager to see now!

:CONGRATULATIONS BECCA! WELCOME PHOEBE :

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#203 of 655 Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
It could possibly be both. None of this is exact science. You may not have ovulated exactly when you thought too. But with a long run between insem'ing and ovulating, you may have increased your chances of having a girl. I'll be really eager to see now!
Funny you should say that. Although in all honesty I would rather have another boy :, I've been thinking a lot about girl's names and girl's clothes this time. I never did either when I was pregnant with E, even though we didn't know until birth that he was a boy.

ETA - If you click on the "queerling" link in my sig, you can see my huge tummy in all it's second pregnancy glory.

#204 of 655 Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 AM

go lentil! And since lentil will be a VBAC, I say go for whichever date is LATER; that wiggle room is essential if you're going to try to work within a health care system that believes that all he** will break loose if you even go a day beyond 42 weeks.

TMIAAM: vicious pregnancy-induced pain-in-the-a** (you know what I mean I am guessing!). sitting = very, very bad. Am attacking it from every known angle - homeopathy, herbs, sitz baths... but midwife appt in an hour or so, so I'm off to take a shower (and a sitz bath).

eta: congrats Becca - Phoebe is one of my absolute FAVORITE girl names :

#205 of 655 Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Oh so sorry Jeninmpls! That sucks.

I'm suffering over here with what I've termed Fire Nipples. Oh my, they hurt sooooo bad!!! Sometimes they feel like they're on fire and sometimes they feel like someone has poured acid or some other corrosive chemical over them. The only semi-relief I get is to take my shirt and bra off. But, really... how long will they let me go topless at work before they fire me?
#206 of 655 Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm thinking about 1.5 seconds. perhaps a little longer for security to escort you out.

i completely can relate to the burning nip sensation. one of mine seems to be a whole lot more painful then the other. and god forbid your roll over on said nip in your sleep. eh.

jen, i'm sorry to hear about your PITA. turkey day will be here soon, and i hope it comes sooner for you...

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#207 of 655 Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KJM!!!! I'm so so happy to see you here!!!! May you have a happy and healthy 9 months!

Lemurmommies - I know exactly what day I ovulated, but the dating ultrasound said the babe measured 4 days smaller than that. I know the ultrasound is wrong because I was temping religiously and had my cycle down to a science. I think you should trust your feeling on the matter, but let the doctor believe whatever they like

I have an ultrasound to find out the sex on Wednesday morning. I'm getting a little more excited. Still waiting on word from XP about whether or not she will be there. I gave her a letter 4 days ago and asked her to please babysit for me 2 evenings a week even if she does not want to be the parent. I need some free child care so I can get a second job. I don't think that's too much to ask of her, I mean it's not like I got pregnant by myself or on accident : I don't understand how she will ever feel like a decent human being if she just completely walks away from all her responsibilities. I'm just not like that and I don't comprehend it in the slightest.

On a positive note - XP is seeming like such a loser these days that there are fewer and fewer moments where I want her back. Mostly I just wish she would treat me with some care and respect. Maybe someday.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#208 of 655 Old 10-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Welcome, new folks! I've been out of the country for work, and am just now getting back to catch up on everyone's good news. I am so, so happy to see y'all in here! (Lex, I am blown. away. by your story. I can't believe Lena is pregnant! Woo hoo!) Good old sticky baby vibes to you all. :

Our big news-- we had the 20-week ultrasound today, and the doc said everything looks great. The baby measured just right for the due date, and had all the requisite parts in all the requisite places, which was a huge relief. (I'm a worry-er.) And the big reveal: it's a boy! I've had a hunch since the very beginning, so it just feels right, now that we know. We're thrilled. A little nervous about teaching him how to pee, etc., but I imagine we'll figure that out as we get there. But mostly so, so, happy and relieved.

Off to make "XY" cookies, in order to tell the folks back at work tomorrow.

Mom to DS (3) and a new baby!  Geeked to be married to my love love.gif

#209 of 655 Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM

xy cookies, pigirl, you are so DELICIOUSLY HILARIOUS.

btw, you don't have to teach a little boy how to pee. We started big T out sitting down with "point your penis down into the toilet" and that worked great. Then he saw his friends and one of our (trusted adopted uncle) neighbors pee standing up, and that was the end of sitting. The amazing thing is that everyone seems to have a different way to teach their boy how to pee in a potty/toilet, whether it's sitting on a little seat on the big toilet, in a little potty, or standing up, and all of them work!

It did take a while to adjust to hearing the words 'penis', 'scrotum' and 'foreskin' coming out of my mouth all of the time but I did just realize recently that when I say very matter-of-factly that he needs to wash his penis with water himself, and that when he's older, his foreskin will retract all the way back and he will need to pull it back and clean underneath very gently (something I have never done, or witnessed done, in my whole life), he just assumes that I know what I'm talking about so just read up from a reputable source (Sears, Paul Fleiss, etc) and have confidence!!

Just be sure to cover that little penis up with a washcloth or some other cloth when he's lying on the changing table. They can't resist a geyser opportunity, those boys (then again, neither could my friend's daughter...)

pranava I can't wait to hear all about the ultrasound !

#210 of 655 Old 10-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava View Post
Lemurmommies - I know exactly what day I ovulated, but the dating ultrasound said the babe measured 4 days smaller than that. I know the ultrasound is wrong because I was temping religiously and had my cycle down to a science. I think you should trust your feeling on the matter, but let the doctor believe whatever they like
Like Jen said, the latest due date possible is actually a good thing in my case since I'm hoping and wishing and working towards a VBAC. So some extra wiggle room tacked on to the end will be great when people start to get antsy that I haven't gone into labour yet.

Congrats pigirl on finding out it's a boy! DP and I were really hoping for a boy the first time around, and we lucked out. He's so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
It did take a while to adjust to hearing the words 'penis', 'scrotum' and 'foreskin' coming out of my mouth all of the time but I did just realize recently that when I say very matter-of-factly that he needs to wash his penis with water himself, and that when he's older, his foreskin will retract all the way back and he will need to pull it back and clean underneath very gently (something I have never done, or witnessed done, in my whole life), he just assumes that I know what I'm talking about so just read up from a reputable source (Sears, Paul Fleiss, etc) and have confidence!!
It is funny to spend time talking about penises and scrotums, isn't it? We haven't had to deal with potty training yet, but it's all the rage at diaper changes and in the shower. Actually, now that I have a boy the thought that we might have a girl this time is a little terrifying!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page