The Queer & Pregnant Thread --- mid-Sept. till Dec. 2008 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 655 Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggleblue View Post
well, i got the most lovely call from my ob today telling me that my iron is low. perfect! any suggestions on how to properly supplement??
And NOW you know why you've been craving steak! Get a bottle of floradix and have a tablespoonful with a small glass of orange juice on a regular basis throughout the day. If you hate the taste, you can even mix the Floradix into the juice and knock it back. Or, if you like molasses, have a tablespoon of molasses regularly throughout the day (blackstrap). Both of those will have less of a constipating effect than iron pills do. Eat your red meat since you like it, also consider dark leaf greens since they have plenty of iron, too. Eating a vitamin C source along with the iron helps absorption; eating or drinking a high calcium source can interfere with iron take-up. (Molasses milk will help neither your iron nor your calcium levels because the iron in the molasses and the calcium in the milk bind to each other. This really made a former colleague of mine mad because of all of the years she spent being made to drink molasses milk as a kid.)

Must go set table...

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#242 of 655 Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 PM

I can't stay away any longer!!! I had a positive test last Friday, and if I make it through the night, I will have gone longer than the last two pregnancies that ended in miscarriage. I promised myself I wasn't going to get excited or feel too much of anything until at least that first week had gone by. So there you have it. The one week mark is tomorrow, and here I am jumping on the board.

Many of you know our story through DP, Megin, from the TTC board, so I won't go into details about the whole journey, except to say that we've been TTC for two years!! So I am really happy to be over on this side, but really nervous too. I want to be excited, but... I don't want the heartache of "knowing" I'm having a baby and then miscarrying.

So, you all are the first I'm telling. We haven't told DS, haven't told any family or friends (actually, DP told one friend who was over the day after the first positive). I can't decide when I'll be ready. When DS was conceived, we called everyone we knew within 24 hours of that first positive test! But I also know I won't wait the whole first trimester. It's just not my style/not me/not my heart.

I am looking forward to sharing this journey with you all.

Katie, DW to Megin, Mamma to Quinn (7y.o.) and Wylie, born 07-04-10
#243 of 655 Old 10-23-2008, 09:07 PM
kjm

yeah katie!!! climb aboard my friend its a fun ride!!! It took me almost week to the word's "I'm pregnant" I started saying "Hey guess what I got a positive pregnancy test, but you know its still early so we'll see"
later I was heard saying "Hey I have a baby in my belly, but its still early so we'll see" much later I was heard saying "so I think I'm pregnant, we'll see"
and finally now I can be heard saying either "so I'm pregnant" or "Hey I'm having a baby"--It feels so great, and it feels so right!!!!

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#244 of 655 Old 10-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoscot View Post
lol over all the names and initials. i love zion alexander too.
Jumping in to say congratulations to all of you... I read but alas, not our time yet...

Pranava, I LOVE Zion Alexander! It sounds great and rolls right off the tongue!
#245 of 655 Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 PM

I Lurrrrrrve the way this thread is filling up with expectant folks!!! :::

I am tired and achy. BUT we have a bassinet, some diapers, and a friend just sent us a co-sleeper and a bunch of clothes, which should arrive soon. Yee-ha!!

I can't believe that as of Saturday, we are 5 weeks to full term and 7 weeks to the due date.

My super wife made splendid dinner tonight -- lamb in pomegranate marinade, couscous, and arugula salad with prosciutto and parmigiano and pine nuts. mmmmmmmmmmm. I will keep her.

Waldorf-teaching mama to A (12/08), wife to my sweet wife M , and sharing a home with a dog , four cats , five turtles, a fish, and a crab.
#246 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 AM

yes, anyone who can just pull random stuff out of the cabinet and throw them together and make them taste as awesome as she does... definitely keep.

#247 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 AM

Congrats Katie! : Here's to a sticky babe for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermiep View Post
My super wife made splendid dinner tonight -- lamb in pomegranate marinade, couscous, and arugula salad with prosciutto and parmigiano and pine nuts. mmmmmmmmmmm. I will keep her.
Mmmmmm is right. Now I want lamb. At 8am.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#248 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Welcome Katie!! I can totally relate to how you feel. DP and I have been TTC for almost a year now and we have suffered one miscarriage earlier this year. So, there is a hestitation in getting too excited...I get that. But, I think what I struggled with and finally accepted is...if I let myself get a little excited about it...it's not going to hurt any more if (god-forbid) something should happen. It would kill me either way...and stressing and worrying about what MIGHT happen just isn't healthy for me. So...here I am...I'm all in!!! :: Anyway...congrats to you, Megin and Quinn!!!!

DS Alexander Joseph born 6/29/09
#249 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Oh, wow, I haven't checked this thread in some time (3 work trips in 6 weeks has had a major impact on my internet time!), but now I'm home, with no more traveling until March.. and so so so very excited about JennM's and Keely's and Katie and Megin's and Kim and Brooke's and Lex and Lena's pregnancies. Wow!!

And can we have another Noho gathering at some point? fun!

I'm tootling along at 31.5 weeks--just got back from New Mexico on Sunday, and I'm thrilled not to have to get on a plane again for a while, particularly for an x-country trip. We still haven't unboxed any of our baby gear, but the cold weather is definitely making the birth of this little one seem closer. And he's delightfully active--especially during meetings, which makes me smile. So far the pregnancy has been pretty uneventful, so hopefully it stays that way. Though I am kind of exhausted (work + travel + solo parenting while my partner commutes. Ah well.)

Thinking of you all...
#250 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcon View Post
I'm tootling along at 31.5 weeks--just got back from New Mexico on Sunday, and I'm thrilled not to have to get on a plane again for a while, particularly for an x-country trip. We still haven't unboxed any of our baby gear, but the cold weather is definitely making the birth of this little one seem closer. And he's delightfully active--especially during meetings, which makes me smile. So far the pregnancy has been pretty uneventful, so hopefully it stays that way. Though I am kind of exhausted (work + travel + solo parenting while my partner commutes. Ah well.)

Thinking of you all...
oh no, were you at asa? i was too! alas, we missed each other.

yes, another noho get together soon, please!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

#251 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
oh no, were you at asa? i was too! alas, we missed each other.
How is it that everyone I know IRL *and* online was in Albuquerque last week?! I'm not even an academic. It's a queer thing, I guess.

Aaanyway, just wanted to pop in to send big : and congrats to all the new preglings on this board. It's so exciting to see new people come in!

10 week check up today. The doctor just took my pee, handed me some brochures about early genetic screening, and told me to come back in 2 weeks. Is that normal?

Those of you who have had NT scans - did your DP/DW/SO go with you? My partner and I are having a hard time finding an appointment that we can both make, and I'm scared to go alone. Should I just suck it up or insist that she make room in her schedule for this?
#252 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls View Post
And NOW you know why you've been craving steak! Get a bottle of floradix and have a tablespoonful with a small glass of orange juice on a regular basis throughout the day. If you hate the taste, you can even mix the Floradix into the juice and knock it back. Or, if you like molasses, have a tablespoon of molasses regularly throughout the day (blackstrap). Both of those will have less of a constipating effect than iron pills do. Eat your red meat since you like it, also consider dark leaf greens since they have plenty of iron, too. Eating a vitamin C source along with the iron helps absorption; eating or drinking a high calcium source can interfere with iron take-up. (Molasses milk will help neither your iron nor your calcium levels because the iron in the molasses and the calcium in the milk bind to each other. This really made a former colleague of mine mad because of all of the years she spent being made to drink molasses milk as a kid.)

Must go set table...
thank you! i was hoping you would chime in with an answer for me. i'm going to see if i can find some this weekend! i can tell i need it because i've been dragging around, even though i'm supposed to be in my second trimester energy peak stage...

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#253 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie74 View Post
Those of you who have had NT scans - did your DP/DW/SO go with you? My partner and I are having a hard time finding an appointment that we can both make, and I'm scared to go alone. Should I just suck it up or insist that she make room in her schedule for this?
We didn't do the NT scan, but I do have an opinion on whether or not DP should go with you.

Yes she should.

Categorically yes.

It's such an good way to get the non-carrying parent involved in the pregnancy process. DP has come with me for every appointment, and even though she doesn't have a lot to do with the goings on, it makes the baby real and it makes her role real and it solidifies our partnership in the whole baby adventure.

And with the NT scan, goddess forbid you should get scary results, it would be better if she'd been there for the testing too, and not just the results.

All that said ... are you two sure you want an NT scan?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#254 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 09:47 PM

We didn't do an NT scan either, but we did have an early ultrasound at 6weeks. I would have to say that I was really glad to have smartycat there with me. She actually was able to see the screen when I wasn't, and saw the heart beat before it was shown to me. It was great that she got to be there with me, so I would vote for trying to figure out a way so that you both could go. Getting great news is so exciting when there's someone there to share it with you.

Ellie, both my 9 and 14 week check-ups pretty much were what you described. Your next one might be a little more interesting because they'll probably listen for the heartbeat with the Doppler. I think the check-ups are mainly so you can establish at least somewhat of a relationship with the doctors and unless there's a problem, there isn't a whole lot of poking and prodding, which is nice.

Loving partner to smartycat  ribbonrainbow.gif  . Enjoying life with our DS's- 4/5/09 and 10/29/10 love.gif!  Moms to three dogs and four cats.
#255 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktcl View Post
I can't stay away any longer!!! I had a positive test last Friday, and if I make it through the night, I will have gone longer than the last two pregnancies that ended in miscarriage. I promised myself I wasn't going to get excited or feel too much of anything until at least that first week had gone by. So there you have it. The one week mark is tomorrow, and here I am jumping on the board.

Many of you know our story through DP, Megin, from the TTC board, so I won't go into details about the whole journey, except to say that we've been TTC for two years!! So I am really happy to be over on this side, but really nervous too. I want to be excited, but... I don't want the heartache of "knowing" I'm having a baby and then miscarrying.

So, you all are the first I'm telling. We haven't told DS, haven't told any family or friends (actually, DP told one friend who was over the day after the first positive). I can't decide when I'll be ready. When DS was conceived, we called everyone we knew within 24 hours of that first positive test! But I also know I won't wait the whole first trimester. It's just not my style/not me/not my heart.

I am looking forward to sharing this journey with you all.
Barging out of lurkdom to say:

:::::

:::::
#256 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie74 View Post
10 week check up today. The doctor just took my pee, handed me some brochures about early genetic screening, and told me to come back in 2 weeks. Is that normal?
Yep, sounds like a typical OB appointment. Have you considered seeing a midwife instead? Even hospital-based midwives will usually engage in more conversation, and appointments are at least 3 times as long.

We saw an OB practice for our twin pregnancy, and I really felt like each appointment was just 10 minutes of checking vitals and then the doctor saying "everything's OK now, but here's what you should worry about next." For our second pregnancy, we saw a midwife and the difference was amazing. We hardly spent any time at all talking about the pregnancy specifically, but we'd go on and on about my emotions and fears and hopes. I felt so much better supported. And while the outcome for both of my pregnancies was unfortunately the same (c-section), my prenatal appointments were a thousand times better with the midwives.

giggleblue: You can also take the floradix in pill form if you can't stomach the liquid (I couldn't). It doesn't work quite as well, but it's still pretty fantastic (I've got dw taking them already). I ended up with two blood transfusions due to anemia during the twin pregnancy, so I was proactive the second time and took floradix from the start. (Fingers crossed that you guys will get confirmation that you are doubly (or tripley?!) pregnant this weekend!).

Re: Noho gathering, let's do it! It's so crazy that at the last one that we hosted, dw and I weren't even considering ttc again, and now here we are, pregnant! We're happy to host again. We've moved since last time and our new house is tiny, but we live next door to my mom's HUGE gorgeous house on the river. So we could gather there.

Dw is feeling tired and slightly nauseous and rather irritable. I'm trying to be my most loving and supportive self, even if I feel like I'm doing everything wrong much of the time (judging by dw's mood).

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#257 of 655 Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
Dw is feeling tired and slightly nauseous and rather irritable. I'm trying to be my most loving and supportive self, even if I feel like I'm doing everything wrong much of the time (judging by dw's mood).
I'm sure you know that there really isn't anything you can do right! And I'm also sure you know that despite an inability to express it, Lena is really grateful for all your love, care and misplaced efforts!

giggleblue - Another shout for floradix here! Floradix has floated in and out of my life for many years. It has just made an entry again as the 3rd trimester was really starting to weigh me down and already I'm feeling substantially more awake and able. As Lex said, the liquid is better and will work quicker (i take the liquid) but even the tablets will kick in with gusto after about 10 days of taking them. Don't stress about this. It's not unusual and for most, it's easily managed.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#258 of 655 Old 10-25-2008, 01:35 AM
kjm

quick question on progesterone. I think the doc that 1st detected that my progesterone was low told me if I get pregnant while using the cream I have to continue through my 1st trimester?? Can anyone confirm nor deny this?? I don't mind doing it, but when I got my quantitative I asked them to check my progesterone which they reported as being "off the charts"??

11/24/08 SMBC with a loving LTR DP in a Queer & Poly relationshiploving my new baby Kale Cqolbi Justice!!!!!
#259 of 655 Old 10-25-2008, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm View Post
quick question on progesterone. I think the doc that 1st detected that my progesterone was low told me if I get pregnant while using the cream I have to continue through my 1st trimester?? Can anyone confirm nor deny this?? I don't mind doing it, but when I got my quantitative I asked them to check my progesterone which they reported as being "off the charts"??
I was on progesterone suppositories for the first trimester and it was gawd awful. The fertility clinic docs had me on it as a precaution, and -- in their words -- it keeps women from wondering "What if?" if something were to happen and they weren't on it. I'd stay on it for peace of mind if for no other reason. And I can't believe I'm saying that considering how ultimately grotesque those twat capsules are and what they did to our sex life for so long (I was on them cyclicly for a loooooong time while ttc). :

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#260 of 655 Old 10-25-2008, 09:52 AM

yes, keep taking it through the first trimester. good luck!!!!!

f

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#261 of 655 Old 10-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Hi Ladies,

We had our early (8 weeks) ultrasound on Thursday and, happily, all is well. Our "Baby Dot" (named so by our dd) is measuring right at 8 weeks with a nice strong heartbeat! Definitely feels more "real" after confirming that there's something in there!

PROUD mama to Amiya, age 6 , and Asher, born 10/2009 . Loving partner to dp, Amy.
#262 of 655 Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Jody, congrats on a great U/S and a healthy baby Dot!! :

smartycatpartners.gif quasar.  Mommies to two boys.
#263 of 655 Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 PM

congrats jodybird! yay for a heartbeat!

g

my family - dp d heartbeat.gif, ds b biggrinbounce.gif (4), ds f thumbsuck.gif (2), dd a baby.gif (jan '12), ddog m dog2.gif
#264 of 655 Old 10-26-2008, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i got myself some floradix liquid and started taking it tonight. the taste is fine to me, but of course, i also took geritol tonic for a month and that was far far worse!

i'm buying my next bottle online because the bottle i got a whole foods was $40 and it's like $25 on amazon.com.

thanks guys!

giggle - mommy to GP born 3.16.09 and parter to liberty (GP's mama). hoping to have 2 under 2 in the very near future via DP's ute!
#265 of 655 Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM

****Warning! Rambling, self indulgent post ahead! ****

I'm pretty sure I felt the baby move / kick last night!! :

It seems like most of our DDC has felt the baby move already and I was very jealous. I keep asking Quasar and she keeps saying "no movement yet". One day a few weeks ago she said she felt a "bubble" that might have been the baby and the past few days she maybe felt a "shifting" but she thought it was just her intestines. And just last night before going to bed, I said it still didn't feel real yet that she was pregnant.

So, Quasar headed up to bed before me and I finished playing the game I was engrossed in. When I came to bed, Quasar was sound asleep and I snuggled in next to her, put my hand on her belly and said "Good night Quasar. Good Night <insert girl baby name>" To which quasar quipped, "HE doesn't want to be called that" and went right back to sleep. So I am laying there, snuggled up, hand on belly, drifting off to sleep when.... thump, thump, thump And I instantly had that overwhelming feeling of a 3rd entity in bed with us... the same one I had when I *knew* Quasar was pregnant at like 5DPO. But my logical mind said, "That dumb cat is playing with me under the covers" Look around... no cat. Hmmm... nah... I must have imagined it... it was just a giant gas bubble shifting, that's all. So I continue to lay there, hand on belly, when I feel "shifting" or "rolling". Still wide eyed but still not sure, I feel around to make sure I am in the right spot and poke Quasar's belly lightly but not so much as to wake her up. More rolling / shifting and now a slight "pop, pop" on the opposite side I felt the thumps.

I probably layed there an hour hand on tummy and totally geeked out feelng rolls, thumps and pops. I tried waking her up, but just got more out of her.

When I woke up this morning, I think I still had a big on my face. I told Quasar what I felt and I think she believes me yet thinks I am crazy at the same time. And now that I slept on it, I am doubting myself this morning. But I am pretty convinced that is what I felt and it was sooo cool!!

#266 of 655 Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 AM
kjm

Smartycat that is soo cool!!!

AFM: Morning sickness?? I sure hope not!! I have been vomiting ALL night!!
1am, 3am, 5am, getting ready for my 7am, its a little late--ugghh

I'm pretty sure it is food poisoning because the pain started 1 hour after I ate out last night. At first I though I had just over done it and was too full but 5 hours later the sharp stabbing pains were still there. Finally at 1 am I said to myself whatever is in my belly is making me sick and its gonna hurt my baby if I don't get it out, but now I can't stop getting sick.

ouchy yuck yuck

#267 of 655 Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Oh, kjm, that sounds horrible!

Here is something to cheer you up...
So last night, quasar and I are sleeping... I stir awake and reach out to put a hand on her tummy to see if I can feel the baby again... and wow! quasar is huge! When did her tummy get so big?? So, I'm patting around trying to figure out where to feel for the baby and quasar wakes up and says "If you are trying to feel for the baby, you might want to try again... that is my buttocks you are feeling" !!

:

p.s. Quasar was laying on her side, hence making her "belly" / buttocks sit up higher. I was in no way saying that Quasar has a large behind. Really sweetie, I wasn't saying your butt was big at all. :

#268 of 655 Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM

NICE smartycat, groping your wife's bum trying to feel the baby

kjm: homeopathic arsenicum album!! Really!! It will stop the barfies!! Safe for baby. If I were there I would bring it to you. Feel better soon

#269 of 655 Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
kjm

Thanks for the info Jen!!

Smarty CatThat did make me feel better thanks!!

#270 of 655 Old 10-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartycat View Post
Oh, kjm, that sounds horrible!

Here is something to cheer you up...
So last night, quasar and I are sleeping... I stir awake and reach out to put a hand on her tummy to see if I can feel the baby again... and wow! quasar is huge! When did her tummy get so big?? So, I'm patting around trying to figure out where to feel for the baby and quasar wakes up and says "If you are trying to feel for the baby, you might want to try again... that is my buttocks you are feeling" !!

:

p.s. Quasar was laying on her side, hence making her "belly" / buttocks sit up higher. I was in no way saying that Quasar has a large behind. Really sweetie, I wasn't saying your butt was big at all. :
That's funny. DW still has not forgotten the time I was rubbing her back while we were in bed. I thought I was rubbing her shoulder blade. She asked me, "What are you doing?" I replied that I was rubbing her back. She sat up so quickly and was pissed. Yeah.. I was apparently rubbing her breast and thought it was her back.

Lesson: Do not confuse your wife's breast for her back. Even is she is tiny, tiny and weighed 100lbs. It does not matter. She'll always remember that you thought her breast was her back.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page