Have tons of rags/scraps, need ideas - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have oodles of rags made from old t-shirts, towels, jeans, you name it, and then lots of fabric scraps. Everything is just piling up. I'm not very good at sewing. Are there other crafts you can do with piles of rags?

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM

I don't know how big your scraps are, though I know the standard answer is patchwork quilts. (And its not actually that hard with a rotary cutter, ruler, and sewing machine, though I'm by no means an expert).
How about some smaller patchwork items if that is daunting? I just made a cute pot-holder by piecing scraps into two squares about big enough, hand quilting it (really easy to do, its basically just sewing through all the layers), with 3 (I forget) layers of warm n' natural cotton needled batting. It works well as a pot-holder, and is quite pretty.

If the scraps are really small (and well... lets just say your talking to a queen pack-rat who saves thread scraps and scraps under 1/2 in by 1/2 in,) then you can use them as stuffing, particularly for pin cushions. I know, I know, how many pin cushions can you possibly need right? But if you make a few, then maybe you have some pre-made gifts for sewers you know. Planet June has the most fantabulous patterns for little pincushions that you wear on one wrist while sewing at a machine or pinning in front of the mirror. (Am I the only one who pins clothes, on me, in front of the mirror with no table or counter nearby? lol) http://www.planetjune.com/blog/offse...hion-tutorial/ you can use elastic sew into a loop instead of Velcro with twill tape too, thats what I did.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've used old T-shirts and old jeans (though not together!) to make crocheted rag rugs: cut into strips, crochet with a X-large crochet hook. It only requires the two most basic crochet stitches (chain stitch and single crochet).

I made a hooked rug out of old towels, though it did shed a lot of fuzz for a while: cut towel into 1/4" strips, hold strip behind a loosely woven backing material, and pull loops of towel up through the backing with a crochet hook or small rug hook.

There are also braided rugs, but I find that I don't have the patience to sew the braids together.

Some of my rags I just cut up small and use for wiping up little spills, then throw away.

I covered a couple of cardboard magazine holders with fabric by gluing it on with Mod Podge.

I am currently making a quilt out of old clothes and odds and ends of fabric. Sort of a crazy quilt, so that I won't get bored working on it, but with an overall color scheme (green, pink, and white).

#4 of 5 Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 AM

I'm making a small braided rug for next to DD's bed out of her outgrown summer tee shirts etc...

I just cut everything into 1 inch or so strips and are braiding together. Then I'll sew into an oval when done.

Just flying by the seat of my pants on this one... hope it turns out!

Rebecca, wife to a hardworking PhD student DH and mama to one sweet girl (3), four angels in heaven, and joyfully welcomed our baby boy January 2010! blog link in profile
#5 of 5 Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM

Hi, I know that you posted this awhile ago, but I just saw it and I had just seen something pretty cool yesterday that could be made from some scraps of material, so I thought I'd share It's this skirt. Basically, down to your thighs it's like a regular jean skirt, but then they added tons of different layers of scraps of material. It looks really cool and I'm going to attempt to make a skirt like this one. Here's a picture of it

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...0328091346.jpg

Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page