Playsilks and Dharma acid dye question: please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello lovely craft ladies! I have a question that I dearly hope someone can answer.

My daughter and I thought it would be a lot of fun to get her a big set of playsilks. Since she and I love to do things by hand we really want to make our own.

I plan on ordering 35" 8 mm habotai scarves from Dharma Trading, as well as a selection of about 10-15 of the jacquard acid dyes in the 1/2 oz size.

Now, the Dharma site says that with 1/2 oz dye one can color up to 2 lbs of fabric. I don't know how much a 35" scarf weighs, but I am willing to bet it is not much! It seems to me that I would be wasting a lot of dye.
So I thought why not save a little money and have fun at the same time: I can ask some of my local mamas if they would like to go in with me on dyes and shipping, and we could have a silk-dying party.
Problem is, I don't know how many scarves we can do with 1/2 oz of dye. I'd hate to promise five other parents that they could all dye scarves only to find that we can only do four.

So, after my long and rambling post, here is the question: how many silk scarves (35", 8 mm) will one 1/2 oz of dye color? Does it vary by color? (I've heard that some dyes seem to need more to color the same amount of fabric).
If anyone has tried dyeing multiple scarves at once I would dearly love to know the answer.
#2 of 4 Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 PM

:

Good question. I have no idea unfortunately. I'm just about to place an order of acid dyes and scarves though. I normally dye my playsilks with Kool-Aid, but decided to try out the acid dyes.

Great idea to have a playsilk dyeing party!
#3 of 4 Old 01-29-2009, 07:34 PM

It does vary by color. The blues take a lot more dye to make intense colors and I use more yellow than other colors because I mix it with other primaries. Still, the half ounce will most certainly make dozens of silks. A little goes a LONG way!

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#4 of 4 Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 PM

Where are you? That would be fun!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page