Free Shopping Cart Cover Pattern - Mothering Forums
Craft Workshops > Free Shopping Cart Cover Pattern
GEMINI69's Avatar GEMINI69 11:37 PM 09-29-2005
[B]HELLO EVERYONE! I AM NEW AT POSTING BUT HAVE BEEN OBSERVING FOR SOME TIME AND LOVE TO COME HERE AND FIND ANSWERS WHEN I HAVE A QUESTION. I NOTICED THAT A LOT OF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GOOD FREE PATTERN FOR A SHOPPING CART COVER, SO WAS I AND I FOUND IT TONIGHT [/B] @ [U]http://crafts.sleepingbaby.net/cart_cover.html [/U] AND IF FOR SOME REASON THAT DOES NOT WORK DO A WEB SEARCH FOR JAN ANDREA AT HOME ON THE WEB. THIS IS A GREAT SITE, IT HAS PATTERNS OF ALL KINDS FOR BABY THINGS INCLUDING AN INSERT TO EXTEND YOUR JACKET TO MATERNITY AND HOW TO CONVERT YOUR REGULAR BRAS TO NURSING BRAS.
I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING LIKE MINDED FRIENDS IN MY AREA WHICH IS VALRICO, FL. ANY SURROUNDING AREAS ARE FINE, I DON'T KNOW ANYONE IN MY AREA THAT SHARES MY INTERESTS.

: :2bfbabe: : :

kris mom of 3's Avatar kris mom of 3 06:51 PM 10-21-2005
Thanks for the link - I've been looking for one of these in the "box" stores but the price seemed very high and the fabric patterns were rather ugly. Did you sew one up yet and how did it turn out? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm thinking of using fleece as I don't have a bunch of time to devote to this project. Gotta run - thanks again! :
ilikethedesert's Avatar ilikethedesert 07:37 PM 12-01-2005
Ooooh! Thanks for posting!
slestudillo's Avatar slestudillo 12:30 AM 06-03-2006
I looked for a free pattern and saw the one on this post but as a new sewer (only made a sock monkey previously ), i didnt feel confident enough to make this one, I looked on ebay but didnt like the pattern pictures they had. They were either too square and flat and not fluffy and pro looking like the ones other moms actually sell already made online. But I found one from a seller who seemed to list exactly what I needed in a pattern... Pictures to guide me step by step and in my "language" - that is to say instructions any person can follow. No need to understand those complicated patterns you buy at the store.

I am happy to report that I LOVE the end product. My first one is beautiful but I messed up a bit on the batting (stuffing). My 2nd one...PERFECT. I changed things from her pattern due to my own needs. I wish I could post a picture of the cover. If not, I will find a way to link my photos here somehow so you guys can see the final product and judge for yourself.

The seller was a pleasure doing business with. She has always answered my questions/ emails promptly. If you want to get a pattern, just invest the little bit of money on this one. Its worth it. Its not fancy so don't expect a printed pattern. She draws the pattern on some paper by hand. But for someone like me, it was what I needed, in terms that I could follow along amd not intimidating. She just started her site: http://www.makethemyourself.com/

I now bought the shoe pattern (similar those cute soft sole shoes with appliques) and I will try that and see how that goes. I'll report back on that too. Good luck!
slestudillo's Avatar slestudillo 01:40 AM 06-03-2006
Ok, here is a link where you can check out my first two covers. Already the 2nd one is way better after learning things here and there from the prototype. If you buy the pattern from the seller I listed, note I deviated from her pattern:

http://googoostuff.blogspot.com/2006...art-cover.html

1. used 2 layers of extra thick batting/linning
2. made a front picket with toy loops intead of just the front toy loops (in addition to the two side pockets with loops that the pattern calls for)
3. I used the quick release belt material for the loops instead as the toy rings I have come with a huge gap and needed a thicker loop to hold on too
4. I also left out the leg flaps and went for just the round leg hole.
5. Did not make it reversible, just one sided.

Overall you can change things on the pattern here and there with some imagination but it gets you started if you don't know where to start!

p.s. it does make time to make one of these but your later ones shoud go faster so dont get fustrated. For me it wasnt so much about saving money by not buying a ready made one. Although i now appreciate those who make them for income and what they charge isnt that much when you consider the time you spend making one. But making them for me was about making it special for my baby and learning for future gifts.
cece's Avatar cece 04:11 PM 06-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by slestudillo
I looked for a free pattern and saw the one on this post but as a new sewer (only made a sock monkey previously ), i didnt feel confident enough to make this one
great job! you must feel so proud. i'm new to sewing too so thanks for the inspiration. ps i'min sd county too!
cece's Avatar cece 04:17 PM 06-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by slestudillo
I looked for a free pattern and saw the one on this post but as a new sewer (only made a sock monkey previously ), i didnt feel confident enough to make this one
great job! you must feel so proud. i'm new to sewing too so thanks for the inspiration. ps i'min sd county too!
SugrMagMama's Avatar SugrMagMama 12:19 PM 06-12-2006
WOW! Looks great!!!

I love jan's website... I bought the simplicity pattern at joannes during their 1.99 sale... havn'et been able to make lil lady one yet... but you just ignited that fire!

Thanks for the inspiration!
tailored-tot's Avatar tailored-tot 01:21 AM 08-30-2006
Hi! I'm jessica. I'm new and I was looking at ideas for cart covers. I currently have a website where I make cart covers, diaper bags, and mei tai slings. I'm always looking for the newest or better way to make these items. I would like moms opinions what they like in a product! Can you help me out? I'm a WAHM mom to an almost 2 year old and a 6 month old.

http://www.tailored-tot.com/

Jessica

~Meg~'s Avatar ~Meg~ 01:29 AM 09-11-2006
I can't wait to try one of these! I'm new to sewing but I'm hoping I can get it to come out ok.
Up