Christmas Walnut Turtles (gifts for kids to make) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-15-2006, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll need:

Walnut shells from cracking walnuts and digging out the nuts.
Beeswax for modeling in any color (see my color suggestions below).
Glitter with stars and/or small beads.

Warm small squares of wax in your hands or near a heater/ radiator (my boys put them in thier...clean...armpits). Cover the walnut shell with a thin layer of wax. Take another peice of wax and make a turtle body with a head sticking out, legs and a tail (legs are optional really). Use the star glitter to cover the shell, pressing gently, or place beads into the shell wax in a lovely design. Use very small beads for turtle eyes if you want to.

We are using blue wax with silver star glitter for lovely midnight magic turtles, white with silver star glitter and red beads for fancy christmas looking turtles, and red and green wax with multicolored beads and glitter, too.

My boys are having a blast making these! some of them have tiny little wax baby turtles riding on thier backs...so sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-20-2006, 01:42 PM

Those sound adorable. Do you have pictures?
#3 of 3 Old 11-26-2006, 09:43 PM

Can't wait to try the turtles. It reminded me of my favorite Christmas ornaments -- Walnut Babies.

Use half walnut shell, fill with fiberfill, use small wooden bead to make sleeping baby face - two curved closed eyes (like a smile), a dot for nose and little "0" for mouth. Use hot glue or craft glue to secure head on fiberfill near pointed edge of walnut shell.

Use small square of fabric to cover fiberfill and push in along edges, so fiberfill poufs in the middle a little bit. The fabric should go right up to the baby face's "chin". You can rim the edge of shell around "blanket" with glitter glue if desired.

It's supposed to resemble a sweet, sleeping baby in a walnut cradle. Prior to the fiberfill, use florist/craft wire, ribbon or gold cording to glue in a loop to hang on the tree. I wish I had a picture. They are so adorable.

Dee
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeu9vid/p...reebeautyblog/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page