Make to bow and arrow or slig shot? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody here ever make a toy bow and arrow set or sling shot? My ds really wants one but i have no idea how to go about making either of these.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#2 of 10 Old 11-16-2006, 03:56 PM

I've never made one. I bought one from Hearthsong. If you look at it online you could probably figure out how to do it....it's just a peice of wood with a sting tied to it.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 10 Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM

DH has made two now for DS. He used a long, straight branch that had no twigs coming out and carved a notch on both ends where the string would sit. We tried normal string but in the end my MIL had to post us some binder twine and that worked best (still holding!)
For the arrows you need some smaller wood with the bark off of it. We have used drum sticks and dowling
I don't have one now but I'll try to send you a picture (can I do that in a PM?)
#4 of 10 Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 PM

did your bow and arrow set work out? my DS is asking for one as well.... trying to figure out how to do this... just wondering how you did it
#5 of 10 Old 12-20-2006, 05:30 PM

My son wants one too! And I almost ordered one from Magic cabin/ hearthsong but for $20, I couldn't do it.

We live in the mountains--tons of sticks around--I bet my husband could make one.......
#6 of 10 Old 12-27-2006, 03:14 AM

Pillowhead - did your dh make a quiver, too, by any chance? My dd wants me to make her a bow, arrows, and quiver! My kids are obsessed with Narnia!
#7 of 10 Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 AM

Did you guys end up making these for the holidays? What did you use as tips? My son has been begging for one for years, wants a little target out back and all, but I would so rather make him one.

Anyone want to share pics of how they came out? I love this idea!
#8 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 11:58 AM

I have not even taken a step toward making one---but I am thinking of it still--I think it may be a job better suited for my husband---or better yet a group effort---I bet Nathaniel would enjoy helping to make one---and big brother too-----it was the ONE thing he mentioned that "santa" didn't bring.....
#9 of 10 Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 PM

i remember making little bows/slingshots when i was little! i think we just did them like pillowhead stated. just a straight stick with notches and twine. my ds has been begging for one as well. i should get busy! lol

for the slingshot(i think i may still have one hanging around here somewhere!) we used a little oval "pocket" made of leather with two holes punched in the ends for braided leather or twine to go on for the strings. this is a "real" slingshot, like the kind you hold the two ends put a pebble in the pouch and swing the ends, the let go. they can get pretty dangerous tho, so i haven't given mine to my ds yet. lol i can still remember my mother lecturing us when we were little, "remember david brought down goliath with one of those!!". lol

we did the other simple kind with a "y" stick and a thick rubber band. we also made lots of rubber band shooters to play with out of wood.

i wish i had some pictures. maybe if i can find the slingshot i could post a photo if anyone is interested.
#10 of 10 Old 02-05-2007, 06:50 PM

We made marshmellow shooter slingshots last year for Scouts (Beavers) out of a few peices of wood shaped like a T, two peices of 3/8" doweling in the side of the top of the T to hold the elastics, a wooden clothes-peg nailed to the top of body of the T. pull the elastic back, snap into the clothes pin, load marshmellow, FIRE!

Hope you can visualize that.... not the easiest thing to describe but a little common sense and imagination goes along way with making things for kids.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page