skirt patterns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got my first sewing machine a couple days ago , and I'm hoping to make myself some skirts. I want something simple to make (I am not experienced at all!), A-line, about knee-length. I would prefer free patterns, but I don't mind spending a little bit for a pattern I will use over and over. Anyone have anything good? Thanks, mamas!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#2 of 13 Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM

:

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."
#3 of 13 Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 PM

Check out the sewing boards on www.craftster.org ! Lots of free tutorials for cool skirts.
#4 of 13 Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 PM

I don't know if this is your style, but I started making my daughter tiered skirts. I think they are SO easy. I got directions free off the internet by googling Tiered skirt and gathering.

If you are not experienced "at all", take some advice from my mom and practice your stitches on a scrap of fabric (paper towel works fine if you are short on scraps like me) until you get the hang of your machine, how to keep things straight, how hard to press the foot down, etc. After a few runs you will feel more confident.

Best of Luck to you!
#5 of 13 Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 AM

http://craftersjourney.com/free-skirt-patterns/

some good ideas in here...hope it helps!
#6 of 13 Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas. I am currently working on my first skirt and we'll see how it turns out. I'm afraid I made it too small - oops! But it's not done yet, so we'll see. Great links!

Sarah , wife to Tyson :, SAHM to Landon (5), Coleson (3), and new baby boy due any day!

#7 of 13 Old 09-17-2007, 02:15 PM

nak

i started with maing my own patterns, and it was easier than using a premade one.. it was like this:

measure widest part of hips. add 2 inches or so for gathering. that is top measurement.

how much spin do you want? add, say, 30 inches to the waist measurement. that is your hem measurement. a 90 inch spin is very full and fun to wear, but ymmv.

how long do you want the skirt? measure from waist to wherever you like. add 2 inches for waistband and 1 for hem. there's your length.

how many panels do you want? say you want 6. divide your waist and hem measurements by 6. add 1 inch for the seams. now you have the measurement for the top and bottom of each panel.

draw out your panels on wrong side of folded fabric and cut. when you have one cut you can use it as a pattern for the rest.

sew them all together, pressing seams open. fold over the top 1 inch and sew almost all the way around, leaving a gap at one of the seams. that will channel your drawstring. you can make a drawstring (preferred) or use a ribbon or some such.

Make your hem and VOILA! a very easy to sew strip skirt. Go hippie go! But made long and of, say, a dress crepe, it is a lovely and elegant skirt.
#8 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, Pepperdove. I might have to try that on my next skirt. Thank you!

#9 of 13 Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM

There is a great beginner book called "Sew What! Skirts" - with a few basic pattern shapes, you can make anything!
#10 of 13 Old 10-05-2007, 02:00 AM

I don't have the link at my fingertips right now, but googling "open source patterns" should get you what you're looking for.
#11 of 13 Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 PM

at hancock fabrics all butterick patterns are 99cent this weekend....and some other brand will be onsale next week or the week after......that is a super deal
#12 of 13 Old 10-29-2007, 04:18 PM

Get thee to the library and check it out! It has TONS of skirt patterns and is a wonderful book. I plan to add it to my personal sewing library when I get some extra funds!
#13 of 13 Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM2ANSLEY View Post
at hancock fabrics all butterick patterns are 99cent this weekend....and some other brand will be onsale next week or the week after......that is a super deal
That's what I would recommend - buy a few "Sew Easy" patterns. That is what I started learning on - when I was 10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page