Please Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a holiday idea lingering in my head for a while and have decided to see if it can be realized, I should say i love crafts and do try as many as i can but I am not naturally crafty, but i want to make handmade christmas stockings and some ornaments using wool sweaters.I love felted things , I think they are so beautiful.Is this possible to do,? cut out my stocking and stich it together and achive a felted look. I should mention I cant knit and can only crocet in a back and forth line.I would love to embelish this stockings with contrasting wool shapes. Please I would love to do this project with my children this weekend, Am I dreaming or is it possible, I know hot water soap and rubbing are involed but i just need some siple directions thank you all sooo much.

co-sleeping  single mama to dd5 and ds 15
#2 of 2 Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, you can definitely do this.

felt the sweater first - before you do any cutting or sewing. you can do this just by washing and drying, although some people do it by dipping in alternately hot and cold water. i think it seems easier to just throw it in the wash.

find a template to cut out the stocking shape and sew the layers together. you can cut shapes out of felted wool to decorate them, like you were saying, and you won't have to worry about finishing the edges. you can sew on the decorations, or just glue. use images you find online or cookie cutters as templates.

i know marthastewart.com has lots of projects related to both felted sweaters and stockings - if there isn't a felt stocking on there, i'd die of shock! it would be a good place for you to get ideas.

have fun with this project!
marisa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page