Question about dyeing silks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After rinsing out he silks so the water runs clear, should I wash them in my washer? And if so, should I wash each color seperately?

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 AM

I do a final rinse in distilled water, gently press in dry, clean towels then hang them to dry. No need to wash further.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

So they won't stain furniture or clothes if they get wet while playing? MOst of them are gifts so I wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Get one damp and iron in on the silk setting(put a white cloth scrap between the silk and your board) to test if it is color fast. Did you use ka or fiber reactive dye?

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
Old 12-16-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I used procion dyes. Ironing will check color fastness? Cool. I'll give that a try.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:13 PM

What is your rinsing process like? I always rinse/wash my silks in the washer. I find it is better at getting all the exhausted dye out. I do a first wash with HOT water. After it dumps the first round of water and before the rinse cycle starts I turn the dial back and do a hot wash again. After the second wash I let it run all the way through to the spin cycle.

Is your water running clear with cool water? This isn't a good test of having all the dye out. You want to do it with HOT water.

Kathy

Old 12-17-2007, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

I rinsed by hand with warm water. I did the ironing test and they didn't leave any color on the towel underneath so I think they're good. Thanks for answering my questions!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 PM

So I did the hot rinses in the machine like you said, it took four washes for mine to run clear though. The colors are different now though. Rather than red I have a vibrant pink. The greens faded to a bright blue. I have a load of blues in right now so who knows what they'll turn to. They are still beautiful so I am not unhappy but what do I do if I want a bright red scarf for example? Dye again until I am satisfied with the color? I used the icing colors.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 PM

Tommom...Not sure what to suggest for food dye colored scarves. Hot water rinses for this type of dye process may be what is affecting the color change or possibly there was not enough acid to allow the color to tkae to the silk.

Food dye can also be unpredictable, as can fiber reactive dyes, on silk b/c they are not formulated for that use. This could be part of the issue.

Don't think I have been much help

Kathy

Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM

I thought it may have been the acid too. Do you think a soak in a pot of vinegar would have worked?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 AM

It's hard to say. Thinking about it more it sounds more like an issue with color shift which is just a result of how the dye works with the fiber. Though it is possible that certain chems. that make one component of the toal color have a lower threshold and require a higher acidic environment to properly "take" and that is why the color shift happened.

Unfortunately, I don't ever use food dyes to dye with so it is hard for me to say definitively. Just gleening my knowledge of how acid dyes work in general and a basic understanding of using food dyes.

Kathy

Old 12-27-2007, 01:59 AM

I was afraid to hot rinse my silks, as I was worried the great colors I got would fade dramatically. So I did a warm hand rinse and then set them on high in the dryer (actually, there were about ten of us doing this together! ) It was very successful, and I would say now I'd be confident in hot rinsing them, although I don't see a need to as of yet. . .

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

User Tag List