Mothering Forum banner

apron dress patterns??

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  superlori 
#1 ·
DD wants me to make her a dress, and while I am sure i could hack something out, my attempt at sewing without a pattern turned out badly last time.,

I have tried to do a search for them, unsuccessfully.

#3 ·
my DH would love your screen name.

it is similar. the kind i am thinking of has about 6 panels for the skirt and just and apron style top , all straight stitching, no pleating.

#5 ·
the little one wears a 2t and the big one is in a 5.

#7 ·
so i decided to just go for it, and I have made 5 so far.

#9 ·
Omg. I'm such a bonehead. I was going to come back to this thread and post instructions. I forgot, I'm sorry.
:

I don't have a pattern, but it's pretty simple, here are some instructions. For the top just cut a square/rectangle however big will go around the torso comfortably and provide the coverage needed. If you want a scoop neckline cut it out or you can leave it straight across. Hem all the way around. Make two long straps and attach to the neckline in the front like a tank top. Make small strips for the lacing loops on the back of the shirt. You can use however many you want, it depends on how far down you want to lacing to go. I just used one on each side on the example, I was being lazy and it was supposed to be a super cool summery top anyway. Double the small strips to make loops. Sew the loops inside the back of the top on the edges, lace it up, and you're done with that. I've used double fold bias tape for the straps and tabs before, it's a real time saver.

The skirt: You can just use strip panels or the one in the pic is really simple too. Strips are just sewn together, hemmed at the bottom and a casing for elastic or a drawstring made at the top. If I'm going to use a drawstring I just make a couple of button holes to run the string through before I make the casing. Or use grommets. The one in the pic is super easy, especially for really little kids. I just took a piece if 45" fabric, cut it as long as I wanted it, then cut two strips of the same for the ruffle. Some people say you should use more fabric for the ruffle but I've always thought it looks fine with double the fabric of the piece above. Just depends on what you like. Make the casing for the waistband. For the ruffle just sew the two pieces together side by side, hem the bottom edge, and then where it attaches to the top piece, zigzag over a piece of string or unwaxed dental floss so you can gather the ruffle to the same width of the top piece. Gather the ruffle, pin it to the top piece and then sew the ruffle to the top piece. To me, the ruffle is the only part that is kind of a pain in the butt. Sew up the side, run the elastic through and finish off.

These are really hard to screw up, measurements are pretty easy for something like this, I just eyeball it most of the time. I tend to make things with a lot of fabric so they'll fit for a long time and all I have to do is cut open the waistband to add a bigger piece of elastic.

I'm in kind of a rush today so if that wasn't clear, I'll be back this time to answer questions. This is a pretty simple project so I'll put one together for my dd and take pictures as I go so you can see what it looks like. She needs some winter clothes and even though this might look like a summer outfit, they can be made with heavier fabric and I think they look adorable over a long sleeved t-shirt and leggings. She wears a size 10 so you can kind of get an idea of how to guesstimate for a size 6 also. This week is nutty busy, I don't think I'll get to it before Thursday or Friday but I won't forget this time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.