Mothering Forum banner

non toxic stain and finish for wooden high chair

12K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mystic~mama 
#1 ·
We got this wooden high chair from a garage sale for $1.00. It had crazy paint colors on it so we completely sanded it down and we are looking for a non toxic food safe stain and finish for it. I would love for it to be an oak color so it'll match our other wood.

The guy at Home Depot said a water based polyurethane as a finish and a water based wood stain by minwax are non toxic. I have a hard time believing that considering the lengthy warning labels on both cans. He also said that these are safer that linseed or tung oils.

#3 ·
I sanded down a shelf for my dd's toys and then oiled it with walnut oil. It looks great and holds up well. But the oil will change the color of the wood and might not match your other furniture (we don't usually care about matching furniture!).

http://www.bowlmakerinc.com/catalogn...Tp=2&SortBy=ID

I used the utility finish oil with a small cotton cloth to apply. You can also use this oil to re-oil the high chair tray every so often after you clean it (and after it dries). Even if you stain or finish the rest of the chair with something else, I would recommend using the oil (or even food grade mineral oil) for the eating tray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.