Mothering Forum banner

What projects can I give a DD who loves to build?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  julieanne 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes.

My dd is 9. She says she wants to be an architect when she grows up. Specifically, she wants to be an eco-friendly architect who designs interesting places for children (parks, schools, etc.). I love this about her.

Whenever she can get her hands on an empty box (soda, shoes, neighbor's garbage...) she will spend HOURS with scissors, tape, and markers turning it into some kind of building (usually for her animal toys). But I can tell that she's kind of disappointed with it sometimes.

I'd like to be able to give her some supplies that allow her to explore this in a less...crap way. If that makes any sense.

Legos/building blocks are not the answer...partly because she's 9, and because part of what she loves is making things her own way. A merry-go-round in the shape of a cupcake, for example. She also loves coloring/painting and decorating things.

So, I'm not sure what's out there? Modeling clay? Not sure if that's what she really would like. I'm not comfortable giving her actual wood and nails just yet, lol.

I kind of like the idea of a wooden dollhouse that she can paint and decorate herself, but I'm sure they're a bit expensive, and once she's done...that's it.

Any ideas? Or should I just try to find better cardboard for her? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
On the painting and decorating front, you can get plain wood decorative bird houses, or little animals, figures, small jewelry boxes, larger hinged storage boxes, shelves, stools...almost anything, from a place like michael's or hobby lobby. They also have plain carboard boxes and shapes that she could papier mache or just paint or color as well.

Someone also mentioned recently the home depot kids workshop, which might have some interesting projects for her.

Or you might try model kits that you can get from hobby shops. Mostly you think of model cars and airplanes, but there are kits for all kinds of things...maybe a castle or something?

One last suggestion...have you ever seen some of the cake competitions? You can build amazing things with cake, frosting, candy, and fondant. She would likely need adult help with something like that but it could be a fun project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.